Start by marking “Briar Queen: A Night and Nothing Novel” as Want to Read:
Briar Queen: A Night and Nothing Novel

Briar Queen: A Night and Nothing Novel

(Night and Nothing #2)

The dark, moody, and mystical fantasy begun in Thorn Jack, the first novel in the Night and Nothing series, continues in this bewitching follow up—an intriguing blend of Twilight, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Alice in Wonderland, and A Midsummer Night’s Dream—in which Finn Sullivan discovers that her town, Fair Hollow, borders a dangerous otherworld . . .

Serafina Sullivan and
Published June 2nd 2015 by Harper Voyager

nat.
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a very dark and trippy fairytale in a wonderland-esque setting. I mean everything here it's bat-shit crazy but it's so good!
Jessica
Apr 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fairies, fantasy
Briar Queen is the second in Night and Nothing series. I read Thorn Jack with high expectations. The concept behind it, and the gothic feel of the story had me pulled in before I even got to read it. Then, the story floundered. Still, I wanted to give the second in this series a go.

We pick up with Jack who’s finally real. He goes out and doesn’t see a ghost who tries to call his name or the body with the open chest. This beginning, again, had me getting excited. And then, the story came.

With th
RoboDog
I started reading this right after I finished Thorn Jack. Okay, so some things improved, like I didn't see as many of the same adjectives and verbs used over and over as they were in the first book, and there was less ivy in this one. ;)

I did find it a little hard to follow at times, and felt that some of the explanations for things were a little too rushed or convenient. (view spoiler)
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
A sequel to Thorn Jack...and more of the same. While some of the imagery is quite striking, I found myself increasingly annoyed with the characters, and reminded of one of those horror movies that GEICO spoofs in a recent commercial. The characters consistently do the things that you just KNOW will have a bad outcome. So, beautiful evil characters, gothic fantasy settings, tragic heroes... As I mentioned last year in my review of Thorn Jack, I'm obviously not the target audience for these novels ...more
Dave T
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tense and exciting.

A really great follow-up to the first book in the series. The author continues to build a tale of complex characters and intertwining relationships that just keeps drawing me in.
Shivendra
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. So very very disappointing. I had marked the author as someone which will improve from her debut offering Thorn Jack which despite problems in pacing and clunky structuring was a reasonably entertaining read. However the second volume is way lower in quality than the first one. ALL the problems of the first book are magnified in this second one.

The pacing in fits and starts, the random littering of Irish/Gaelic which reminds me of a Naruto fandom retard shoving all Japanese terms
Sue
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In the first book of this series, Harbour seemed to fancy gobs and gobs of purple prose. She swallowed the reader up in layers of metaphors and paragraphs of useless (and often repetitive) description. Words for the sake of words that didn't further the narrative. I think she just thought they made the book sound like "Literature" (yeah.... not so much). In the second book, she seemed to get over that but now seems to think she's a thriller / action writer. Again, not so much. It felt like much ...more
Madly Jane
Darker and busier than the first book, Briar Queen continues the tale of Jack and Finn and their tortured love story. I am not going to give spoilers, YET. I'll review it later on in the year with more details.

This story expands the mythology of the Fata and introduces the reader to a whole new set of characters and circumstances. Harbour's fairies are original and entirely hers. They are dark and dangerous as well as romantic and beautiful, with desires that often do mortals great harm. They ar
Sallee
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastical fairy story, dark and dangerous, bloodthirsty creatures of all kinds that the main characters have to fight or evade, fairies that betray them along the way as they try to reach their goals makes this an exciting read. So much happens that it is sometimes hard to keep it in perspective. This follow up to Thorn Jack lets the story continue and at the end allows us to know that it will continue on again with a hint that the emphasis will be on other characters that played supporting ...more
Tracey
4 Stars. A darkly disturbing continuation of a charmingly grotesque tale. Populated by malicious Fae and driven by their evil delight.
Sophie
Let me say from the very outset that no matter what I say or complain about in this review, it will not take away from the fact that Briar Queen is heartbreaking-ly beautiful. DONE.
No, seriously I just loved so much about this messy, dark fairytale of the Fatas and Sullivan Girls.

Writing Style
Harbour does it again with her fantastic writing. I'm actually kind of speechless. I love that she starts each (most) chapters with a quote or a poem - it sets the feel of the chapter and adds to the atmo
Marina (Good Reads Mad Reads Radio)
Review at a glance: Katherine Harbour has created an amazingly dark and disturbingly lovely world in her Night and Nothing series. I absolutely loved Thorn Jack and am happy to say Briar Queen was worth the one year wait.

Minor Thorn Jack Book Spoilers In Our Briar Queen Review: IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THORN JACK YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Thorn Jack Review HERE (I received an Uncorrected Proof of this book in exchange for an honest review. My review is based on that Advanced Readers Copy.)

5 star rating

Lizy
It took me two years after reading Thorn Jack to get around to the sequel, but here I am. I made it.

Quick disclaimer because I feel like this review won't make sense if I don't state my bias. I was OBSESSED with Thorn Jack. I'm a little obsessed with Katherine Harbour. I went to one of her book signings two years ago and it was the coolest thing ever. I feel an insane amount of loyalty to the Night and Nothing series, even if I haven't actually finished them. I made my two best friends at the ti
Rachel
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thorne Jack is the first book in the Night and Nothing series, I had wanted to read it for a while and last November I finally read it. It was nothing how I expected it to be, it was so much more. First of all it was dark and creepy, fantastical and wondrous, extravagant and macabre. There was bits and pieces from different types of literature and folklore/fairytales was a big part of the story plus it took place during fall (my favorite season) so of course I loved it.

After how thoroughly cree
Sadie Forsythe
This was ok. I thought it very similar to book one. Finn runs around with her merry, rag-tag team and reacts to whatever is thrown at her, always central to the action but never quite fighting. That is subtly left to the men.

I liked it all well enough. I've always been attracted to the dark, scary side of the fae myths. And there are some scary ones here. I appreciated that gender and relationships where diverse and there is some lovely writing in imagery in the book. Though I did irritably thi
Michelle Leah Olson
Another wonderfully vivid tale by Ms. Harbour. I wasn't sucked in quite as much as book one (I found I liked the setup and the complexity and the--some might say overly--poetic prose of Thorn Jack) though that could have had more to do with me being distracted while listening and not necessarily the book, but it was still a wonderful story and that ending...I can't wait to see what happens next! <3
Amanda
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I can only imagine how the characters felt by the end, because I know *I* was exhausted. Action packed and full of enchantment. It was a lot more twisted than the first in the trilogy, and as a result I feel like sometimes things got lost or confusing because there is A LOT going on. But it's an incredible story, and incredible world the author has created.
Saaniya
This one was faster than the last one
Nina
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, novel, kindle, fiction
This started out at a slower pace than Thorn Jack but really took off once the characters went to the Ghostlands. Love the lush descriptions and characters.
Amy
May 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Found at local library. Didn't realize it was book 2 of a trilogy. Decided to go for it anyways. To be fair - maybe would have enjoyed more if I had read book 1.
Elizabeth Peggram
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in fairy fantasies and poetry
I enjoyed this book better than the first one in this series. The pace was a lot better and there was character development. I really enjoyed the creativity and the world Harbour created. I also like how she brings in new characters. I still found a few plot holes and the dialog between characters was sometimes hard to follow. I am hoping the third book will clear everything up, but maybe Harbour's intentions are to leave some things a mystery and open to interpretation.
Jennie Damron
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A creepy, crazy take on Wonderland. I enjoyed this book a lot and again it feeds my Wonderland obsession!
Ghostrunner
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Annoyed by the glaringly obvious grab for the next book, but I still love the imagery of this world.
Jenn
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The world building and horror elements are great, but there are just too many characters and no character development. Plus, the characters make too many stupid decisions for how "aware" they are of how the fairy world works. I feel the author's writing was really jumpy, too. One minute they'd be talking about subject A and in the next line the character says something completely unrelated without being provoked to do so.
Samantha
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This trilogy is making my book nerd go into overdrive. I have fallen in love with the first two books, which I listened to, and am now trying to make myself wait on the library to get the third in audio because I enjoy the narrator and there are so many names and things that I know listening to someone who can pronounce them makes a world of difference. BUT, the ebook is only $8.99. Be still my heart. Anyway, love, love, love these books. I love the imagery, the names, the Shakespeare references ...more
Jaime
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Goodreads, you need to add a special rating section, where a reviewer can add as many stars as they want to for special books. Because Briar Queen, and Katherine Harbour, deserves more than just five stars. What an absolutely beautiful, heart-wrenching, emotional story we are told, through the eyes of some of the most richly imagined, poignant characters that I have ever read. I cannot wait to sit down and try to put words to what I feel for this story, and the first book in the series, Thorn J ...more
Amber
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-kindle
Tigress (Warrior Elf)
The many reasons that I absolutely adore this series are too many to list, but can be encompassed by the fact that, in this installment, the main characters communicate with a possibly evil ghost via pink goth Hello Kitty Ouija board, and stake the villain with an Alice in Wonderland umbrella made of winter wood and laced with wolfsbane.

Also, this interaction between Jack and Finn:

"Jack"--she looked at him as they stood before the front door--"do you need to have that knife in your hand?"

"It's
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The setting keeps getting better and better! The story too, but what I love most about the books is the combination of fairy tale and legend with incredibly vivid places. I can see the movie in my head of the turn from sunset to night, and as the last rays of the sun leave the enchanted places, the shift from decrepit rot to fae and otherworldly is as brilliant as watching a film.

The only thing I would caution a folklore and fairy tale lover, is that the tales are adapted to fit in the town and
Carla
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The continuation of Thorn Jack -
Serafina finds out that her sister Lily Rose in fact did not die, but is being held captive. This will lead her, Jack, and their friends (a dash of enemies) past the Ghostlands out of the True World.
The adventure and sacrifices that must be made rip you, the reader, apart.
MS. Harbour is an amazing writer - with sentences and descriptions that drop you into a world, a place, a time - filled with magic, beauty, danger, and wonder. It is a place I long to stay. I l

• Grail of the Summer Stars (Aetherial Tales, #3)
  • The Younger Gods (Younger Gods, #1)
  • Soul of Fire (The Portals, #2)
  • The Final Curtain (GloomCookie, #5)
  • One-Eyed Jack (Promethean Age, #5)
  • Student Bodies (Poltergeeks, #2)
  • Skin of the Wolf
  • Courts of the Fey
  • The Reluctant Reaper  (The Reluctant Reaper, #1)
  • Turning Tides (Elements, #3)
  • Metro Winds
  • Liesmith (The Wyrd, #1)
  • The Fairies in Tradition and Literature
  • The Stolen (An American Fairie Tale, #1)
  • Chapel of Ease (Tufa, #4)
  • Super Dark 3 (Super Dark, #3)
  • The Scorched Earth (The Chaos Born, #2)
  • The City of Blood (Paris Homicide, #3)
The author of Thorn Jack, Briar Queen, and Nettle King. (The Children of Night and Nothing series) Pretty good Painter and terrible gardener. Loves Faery, the Gothic, Victorian writers, the female surrealists, botany, and myth & folklore. My aunt once dated a Beatle, my father loved to read Mark Twain, and, if I was brave enough, I'd explore all those haunted woods and houses.

Night and Nothing (4 books)
  • Bones and Heart (Night and Nothing #0.5)
  • Thorn Jack (Night and Nothing, #1)
  • Nettle King (Night and Nothing, #3)
“She didn't feel like a girl when he kissed her, but like fire in a girl's form, burning and hungry.” 3 likes
“She drew him down against her, and his sinewy strength and the softness of the bed became the safest place in the world.” 0 likes