Start by marking “It’s Not Me, It’s You” as Want to Read:
It’s Not Me, It’s You

It’s Not Me, It’s You

What do you do when your hour-old fiance sends you a text for the Other Woman? Apart from break something valuable. Like his face.

Another hilarious and romantic story from the author of the bestselling YOU HAD ME AT HELLO.

Delia Moss isn't quite sure where she went wrong. Everything was going smoothly. Ok, she had a slightly rubbish job working for the council and she hadn
Published May 19th 2015 by HarperCollins (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about It’s Not Me, It’s You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It’s Not Me, It’s You

Start your review of It’s Not Me, It’s You
Erin
Okay, so, me giving a Mhairi McFarlane book ALL THE STARS is getting boring and commonplace, I know. But I wouldn't even want to buck the trend if I could. These books are such a high point, things to look forward to with indecent impatience, the Christmas dinner of my reading year.

What was unexpected was 'It's Not Me, It's You' taking over as my favourite Mhairi read (putting it up there in my Top Reads Ever). I always love a Mhairi heroine and wish she was my best friend but Delia was just
Helene Jeppesen
Nice and cute story about Delia who goes through some heart-breaking events in life and is forced to change direction and make some choices. I wouldn't say that this novel was absolutely mind-blowing, but it was definitely interesting, relaxing and at times quite funny. I was expecting a chick-lit novel, and that was exactly what I got.
"It's Not Me, It's You" did become quite predictable, especially towards the end, and it wasn't as hilarious as I had heard it would be. Still, I loved how this
sue
This flows along excellently with plenty of dialogue. It’s a fun light read which I’ve needed over the past couple of days.
It’s smart, it’s funny and it’s very touching.

I read this in paperback format from the haul I have on my shelf.
Susan's Reviews
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story, wonderful characters. (Some reviewers on Goodreads complained that McFarlane's stories are a bit long, but in my view, sometimes a story is just that good that you never want it to end, right?!) I loved Adam and Delia! That ending was just THE BOMB! as my grand-nieces would say!!!

McFarlane is the BOSS of great endings. I've read many a book where the storytelling was utterly stellar, but the ending floundered about. McFarlane's HEAs usually leave us readers with just enough to fuel
Book Addict Shaun
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This was my first read from Mhairi McFarlane but I was very excited given how highly fellow bloggers speak of her work. I wasn't therefore put off the the book's 500+ pages. A book of that length has to be really good for me to invest my time, and actually time just flew by as I was reading this book, so engrossed was I in the world and characters that McFarlane has created.

It's always a sign that you are onto a winner when you are laughing from the very first page. Very rarely does a book make
Melinda
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are books you read because they widen your horizons or make you think of things in a new light. Then, there are books you read because you want something dependable--you know how things are going to turn out and that's just a-okay. It's Not Me, It's You definitely falls into the latter group.

The basis of this book is not unusual: Young woman's life is turned upside down (by a cheatin' boyfriend, of course) and heads off to the big city where her world is opened up and she realizes her own
Cheeky Cher
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
4.5 stars - Incredible. I really loved it.

While trudging through a 1000+ page novel by Dickens, I wanted something light and entertaining to read on the side. My trusted GR reviewers had raved about this one, and they were absolutely correct. It delivered and easily exceeded expectations.

It starts off running when the main character, Delia, finds out her life-mate of 10 years has been having an affair. From there the author takes you on a delightful, heartfelt journey that travels though all
Jacob Proffitt
I think I may be a fan of Mhairi McFarlane. But that's in spite of this book. While I liked Delia well-enough, I hated how weak she was and that she'd even consider getting back with the cheating weasel Paul. Cheating is a hard-no for me and while I can see getting past it given sincere regret and the right circumstances, this was very much not it. Paul lied. Constantly. Worse, Delia kept catching him in his lies so getting wobbly on the whole "will I go back?" just felt stupid.

So that I kept
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
This review can originally be found on Olivia's Catastrophe: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/20...

As soon as I saw this book on Edelweiss I had to request it! I had read You Had Me At Hello a while ago and absolutely loved it. Ever since then I discovered that this book was to be published the next year (this year) and I was anticipating it for SO long. And then finally I had it! I was a bit surprised that this chick-lit book was about 600 pages. What could possibly go on in this novel that
Yoda
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mhairi McFarlane is simply incapable of writing a book I dont love. This one was a bit slow in the beginning but I still enjoyed it. ...more
Jacqueline
I'm officially obsessed with this author. She's also kind of on shit list because, a) I've stayed awake until 2am two nights running - and on busy work week - because I was completely unwilling to leave the world inside of this book (her fault) and, b) the Parsnip incident*. Hard. Fucking. Limit.

So anyway, thanks to the sleep deprivation, my eyes are now like pissholes in the snow and I've drifted into that strange, dreamlike state where I can't always be sure whether I'm awake or napping, but
Emer (A Little Haze)
Ugh this book!! It drove me nuts!! I can see the potential that the author has and how other books that she has written might be fun...but the main character here, Delia...oh I wanted to slap her!! She just got on my wick. She's all "it's not me its you" but I hate to break it to you Delia but it was ALL you!! I don't think I can even do a proper review of this book she annoyed me so much! How anyone could stay working for that sleaze ball boss of hers and then actually end up protecting ...more
thebookbitch
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
This was a very good Chick Lit book. The only problems I had with it was that it was a little bit too long and something that happened near the end of the book that left me wanting to smack Delia in the face and push her in front of a cab.
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)

Delia Moss lives a very ordinary life and she’s quite content with her lot. She lives with her long term boyfriend (soon to be fiancée when Delia pops the question) and their scruffy rescue dog and has a job that she neither loves nor hates so who is she to complain?

When Delia finds out on the night she proposes that Paul has been having an affair she’s pushed to take a leap into the unknown and start afresh in London. It’s there that Delia takes a good hard look at her choices and
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Witty, charming and a little bittersweet, I really enjoyed It's Not Me, It's You, Mhairi McFarlane's third novel.

Delia Moss brushes aside the lacklustre response from her partner of ten years when she proposes, after all he said 'yes' and that was all she wanted to hear. What she can't ignore is the text Paul erroneously sends to her minutes later;
'C...She's proposed. Don't know what to do. Meet tomorrow? Pxx'
C, Delia discovers, is Celine, a twenty four year old student with whom Paul has been
Raven Haired Girl
A great beach read with a sweet heroine warming your heart. You will cheer Delia on as she finds her way through heartbreak and discovers much about herself.

Great cast of characters, all wearing their hearts and emotions on their sleeves. You become very familiar with each one adding to the full spectrum of the narrative. Likable cast given their questionable choices and missteps. You find yourself struggling and hurting along with healing as Delia and Paul attempt to recover. Delia’s heartbreak
Irene
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely superb. I picked this book up this morning and haven't been able to put it down. Sharp witty dialogue that you have come to expect from this author.
The heroine Delia was a joy to read about. This book starts off in Newcastle and I love the Geordies, great sense of humour. It's quite a long book but by no means did it drag in fact my time flew by today reading it.
What would you do after ten wonderful years with your partner, you plan to propose to then find out he's not the man you
Sara Strand
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was EASILY the best book for me to read while holding Penelope for hours so she would sleep. It clocks in at 531 pages, so a bit longer than I usually enjoy, but it was so good. I don't even know where to start with the review to fully convince you to purchase this baby, but I'm going to try.

The story is about Delia, who has been with her boyfriend Paul for years. She has gotten tired of waiting for a proposal from him so she decides to buck tradition and ask him to marry her. She's got
Anja
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was quite a long story. But a nice one!

It's about Delia Moss from Newcastle, who proposes to her boyfriend Paul. Being together for ten years, Delia is sure that Paul is The One, but when she pops the question he seems a bit less enthusiastic than she was hoping for. Shortly after she receives a text message from Paul, which was obviously meant for another woman...
The next thing she knows, Delia flees to London to live with her best friend Emma for a while. But her life in the big city
Michelle Sallay
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, favorites
Originally on my blog: http://ilovedthisbook.blogspot.com

How delightful are the characters in Mhairi McFarlane's books? I can't even tell you. Three books now and I have been delighted by all of her characters. Her writing style in this book is the same as in her previous two. She writes a TON of little asides that go way over my head. However, her characters shine and make me want to read and read and read and then cry when there is no more to read.

Thank you Edelweiss for the review copy.
Diem
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, favourite
Love, love, love, love.

Fantastic heroine, hero and supporting cast.

The last 6 chapters were so stressful for me. I stopped every few pages gasping for air. However, I couldn't have asked for a better ending.
Nikki
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading Mhairi McFarlane‘s first two books, You Had Me At Hello and Here’s Looking At You, I had pretty much fallen in love with her as an author. Genuinely funny and heartwarming chick lit, with characters that felt like real people – what’s not to like? Needless to say, I had high hopes for It’s Not Me, It’s You… and it did not disappoint.

Delia has been with her boyfriend Paul for 10 years when she decides to propose to him. Unfortunately it isn’t a memorable evening in the way that she’
Puty Puar
I really really really like this book but I only gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because nothing was really new (that kind of 'new' you can use if you need to describe this book in a sentence 3 years later). The topic (trying to move on and stand on your feet again after finding out that your permanent boyfriend slept with another girl), the characters (the cheerful, silly, interesting girl who was too cute to realize that she got people falling in love with her), the settings (London vs ...more
Jenna
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, audiobook
Loved this even more rereading it.

THE LETTER. It's up there with Wentworth's. My heart has officially exploded.

***

This book made me both laugh and cry, which was rather awkward considering I was listening to the audiobook on a long-haul flight (I'm talking ugly-sobbing here). The plot was by turns utterly heartbreaking and completely hilarious, and the cast of characters were just wonderful. I really empathised with Delia and the tough choices she had to make. And I have no words for how much I
Eva
A well written nice and easy feel-good book.
It is chick-lit so it follows a certain formula, but that's exactly what I was looking for. I just wanted a "beach-read" (even though without the beach unfortunately).
Delia's doubts about what went wrong in her relationship and whether or not she can forgive her boyfriend of 10 years for having an affair, were portrayed really well. The boyfriend wasn't the super villain that made me scratch my head why she had fallen in love with him in the first
Keertana
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious and charming, I think this just might be my favorite of McFarlane's so far. At any rate, Adam is easily the most swoon-worthy of her book boyfriends and I'd sell my soul to meet a guy like him. Seriously, I have a type: the posh, argumentative, journalistic type, apparently. ;)
Hildy
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love her books. She's so freaking funny!
Gogol
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would just like to reiterate in the beginning that my review’s going to be contain major spoilers.

Ok, so. I hated the heroine. I hate how Mhairi McFarlane writes so engagingly and tangles one’s emotions about the outcome of her fantastic, funny, action packed (in this case) stories which are so refreshingly original and alive, and then she just tears everything apart. This is the third book of hers which i’ve Hated, and I keep trying to find one that i’d Really like to the end.

The heroine’s
*The Angry Reader*
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I’m not sure why I love this author. It’s inexplicable. But it doesn’t matter. I am nuts for her long winding stories with blurry hero/bad guys and lots of drinking and bad decisions and incredible humor. I truly don’t want to read anything else.

I think this one was a little darker and sadder than the others. I still think maybe the first one was my favorite. But maybe this one was. I like the awful zany things and weird plots and fabulous supporting cast.

I cannot wait for the next one.

Natalie TBGWP
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's been some seriously incredible books out this year, but for me coming into mid-October without a chick lit book that has had me doing everything a chick lit book should do which you obviously know is laugh, be sad, cry, be pissed off, want to punch someone, snot-giggle, yeah you get the picture. So if your 35% into a book and you've already done nearly most of that check list you know you've found something not just good, not just really funny, and not something you truly loved. It's ...more

• The Flatshare
  • We Met in December
  • What Happens Now?
  • Sorry Not Sorry
  • I Owe You One
  • Are We Nearly There Yet?
  • Probably the Best Kiss in the World
  • The Plus One
  • The Most Wonderful Time of The Year
  • Bara lite till
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • It Had to Be You
  • Meet Cute
  • 99 Percent Mine
Mhairi was born in Scotland in 1976 and her unnecessarily confusing name is pronounced Vah-Ree.

After some efforts at journalism, she started writing novels. It’s Not Me, It’s You is her third book. She lives in Nottingham, with a man and a cat.
“Nothing worthwhile was without risk. You had to decide whether your feelings were strong enough to make it a risk worth taking.” 8 likes
“Uncovering an affair wasn’t a one big fact headline story. It was like Metroyshka dolls, lies inside lies inside lies.” 5 likes