Start by marking “Rokitansky” as Want to Read:
Rokitansky

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Rokitansky

"Both gripping - I read it in one sitting - and deeply moving, staying In your thoughts long after you've finished." EVENING STANDARD

"Rokitansky is an incredibly moving and ultimately uplifting book, with a twist that will have you reaching for the tissues, and then starting from the beginning again. I challenge any woman not to relate to the emotions experienced by these
Published October 13th 2014 by Chapter 13 Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Rokitansky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rokitansky

Start your review of Rokitansky
Vanessa
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Born with this condition myself, reading the first chapter was like going back to when I was 16 visiting my local doctors and then going to hospital for a examination and finding out I can never have Children. Lots of tears cried reading it. I am 44 now and it is still very painful. Well done to Alice Darwin writing about this subject and hopefully making other people aware of this condition especially Doctors and others in the medical profession, as I still have to explain what is wrong with me ...more
Daniel Grant
Oct 03, 2014 marked it as to-read
A beautiful story, charmingly told. Dark, poignant and heart wrenching with a twist I never saw coming.
Jenny Marie
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well, that was certainly a twist! I don't want to give anything away so I'll stop right there. A very good book, i couldn't put it down and had to force myself to stop reading and go to sleep last night, then immediately woke up to finish it this morning (and missed my Sunday morning yoga class as a result)

If you haven't read this book yet then i suggest it for sure, i laughed and cried - sometimes both at the same time! It was a hard read at times, facing situations I've gone through or readin
Jennifer Williams
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So few women have this condition and so few medical professionals even know what it is, to the point where they struggle to show empathy; they just do not understand. This is such a difficult and emotional time for a young and it's difficult to comprehend what's going on with her body. To know that there are women out there that go through the same thing is heartwarming, to say the least. And a work like this, even though it's fictional, should be available to all girls when diagnosed, to help t ...more
Maureen
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh thanks heavens I am not the only one that didn't get the twist earlier on. I always worry I am the only one who didn't get it. What a silly thing to worry about, really. I had never heard of Rokitansky Syndrome, which is apparently not a surprise, and I like to learn things when I read. It was quite a tear jerker. Tori's story line was very sad. I have a friend who has undergone IVF and was always so strong and positive throughout. I enjoyed the author interview at the end also.
Azra Hodzic
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-ya
A great emotional book that follows a girl in three different life stages but you don't know that until the end. This one made me cry...with the ugly crying face. It is written in the third person which makes the story flow nicely. This is definitely for a high schooler and older. It's an eye opener that their are other women struggling with this symptom and how lonely it must be.
Laura  (Books, Interrupted)
This made me tear up in a few places, but I loved it! I'm so glad I waited to read this book at a time when I was in a good place with my own diagnosis. If I hadn't waited, I'd have cried through every chapter.
Leandra Withers
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the set up of the book. I’d say more but I’d have to click spoiler alert. Takes you to the depths of her self-doubt, sorrow and fears as a woman and shows how deeply it can effect every aspect of life, from dating, to friendships, and marriage.
Célina
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Julie
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
From the start, the book has three threads: the first, depressing; the second, depressing; and the third, really depressing. If one of the threads had been more light and hopeful, it would have made all the difference for me. The characters go through difficult emotions/anxiety and tend to be negative thinkers; I would certainly not recommend this book to anyone who suffers from depression or struggles with negative thinking. The book desperately needed some light in the darkness, for me.

The sub
Anna Mac
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This author's debut is an impressive one. She tackles a serious subject matter, and these women's experiences of it, with a winning combination of wit and emotion. It made me laugh and cry - sometimes both at the same time! It's brilliant, moving, thoroughly enjoyable and a gripping read. A beautifully designed cover too. I finished the book in a weekend and I'll definitely be looking out for her next novel!
Steph
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it
I think that the author did a great job articulating the journey taken by those women born with the syndrome. We have been Moira, dream that our Harry exists, recognize the turmoil we potentially face and fear losing ourselves like Tori. I deeply appreciate that this book was written so honestly and ultimately for sheer awareness.
Jodie Coughlan
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I also bought this book solely because I have the syndrome shared by the characters. It was personally difficult to read due to being able to fully relate to the women and the many memories it brought back to me. However, I thought Alice did a great job of raising awareness of MRKH through fiction and I enjoyed many aspects of the story and will be recommending it to others.
Consuelo Murgia
Sep 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I really loved the cover of this book, with the brown wrapping paper style background and the Matryoshka dolls in the forefront. What to say about the plot? I like novels with female protagonists because it's easier for me to identify with them.
Suanne Laqueur
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beautiful, haunting and maddening—I wanted to KILL some of the doctors and nurses in this story. Loved the three separate story threads gradually winding together, with a clever twist which I partly guessed, but not entirely. A great read by a talented new author.
Viki
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Very touching book that focuses on how infertility affects a young couple. Rokitansky Syndrome is a condition that prevents some women from being able to have children. The novel is told from 3 points of view that explore the characters from past, present, and future lives.
Faye
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is about pain,, fear, love and hope. The central theme is childlessness. It is a "heavy" story. It was an above average read. This is a condition that was unknown to me.
Melissa
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
i considered not finishing this book. hated the writing style, hated the characters.
Diana Lindahl
Sep 06, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts
  • Bellweather Rhapsody
  • Mistress of Rome (The Empress of Rome, #1)
  • All the Birds in the Sky
  • The Seas
Alice Darwin lives Surrey, with her husband and dog. She enjoys writing stories that she hopes others will enjoy.