Start by marking “The Soul Thief” as Want to Read:
The Soul Thief

The Soul Thief

(Angel of Death Series #1)

When sixteen-year-old Riley is injured in a car crash and sees a girl stealing a boy’s soul, she’s convinced she’s hallucinating. But when she sees the same girl at the hospital later, she knows she wasn’t dreaming. That’s when Riley learns her secret heritage and who she really is: a halfling Angel of Death.

Riley must come to terms with her new reality and supernatural ab
Published November 2014 by Booktrope Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Soul Thief, please sign up.

Kushnuma
I received a free e-book copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Soul Thief is book 1 in the Angel of Death series.

Riley is a halfling Angel of Death, but she didn't find this out until she had an accident where she saw a girl stealing a young boy's soul. Riley is then told everything about the Angel's of Death and is assigned a Guardian Angel, who Riley can't help but notice is really hot.

I really enjoyed reading this book and I started liking most of the characters, even Myr
Floryie
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review*

I had seen this title on a few blogs being reviewed and I was,at first, eager to get a chance to read it but later on, as usual I got struck with what I call the familiar books indifference syndrome. Yes, you read it right, sometimes I lose interest as I keep on seeing a book almost everywhere. Then I saw it at Enchanted Book Promotions and I requested it for review purposes and I am still kicking myself for NOT getting the book faster.

As
Ashley
Rating: 2.5/5
(I received a free ecopy of this book from the publisher, Booktrope, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.)
***Minor spoilers***

Riley has lived a normal 16 years, but everything changes when she's involved in a dangerous car accident. After the impact, she witnesses a teenaged girl hovering over a young boy and claiming what appears to be his soul. The only thing is, nobody else could see the girl - only someone who is at least part Angel of Death can. She's taken in front
♛ Garima ♛
The Soul Thief - I received a copy from netgalley in exchange of honest review.

It seems that the author likes all paranormal romance stories and tried to combine following series into one.

The original/main novel and concepts taken from it -

Twilight (The concept of supernatural, Gorgeous and several hundred years old very chivalrous hero, Italian restaurant, romance)
Vampire academy (The stupid girl falls in love with her trainer)
Vampire diaries (The entire setup of school friends and bad guys usi
Melissa Simmons
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Soul Thief is the first book in the Angel of Death Series by Majanka Verstraete. From the moment I read the synopsis I just knew I had to read this book. It sounded like a kick-ass television show that would collect a cult following in no time and I was not disappointed when I started reading.

From the very first scene, I was pulled right into the story. It's told from the point of view of the main character, Riley; a 16 year old girl who survives a horrific car crash and then witnesses some
Aoife

I received a free digital copy from the author/publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest feedback.

Riley thought she was an ordinary 16-year-old girl until the night she's involved in a terrible car accident and she sees a girl collecting a young victim's soul. Suddenly, Riley finds out that she's a member of the supernatural world. She is a halfling, the product of an Angel of Death and a human being and she's not suppose to exist. Riley is put under the guidance of Leander and
EndlessReading
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Firstly I want to thank the lovely author for kindly providing me with a copy of "The Soul Thief" to read and review for this blog tour.

This is the first book I have read of Majanka, but I'm fairly sure it won't be the last.

Riley is a 16 year old girl who was involved in a car accident, whilst waiting to be taken to the hospital she saw something out of this world, a girl stealing a boy's soul. Yep, you heard right... This in itself sparks the beginning of Riley's journey at finding her true sel
Raven and Beez
Jul 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
[Note: I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review]

I'm going to be honest- I HATED THIS BOOK! I hated it so much oh god! I should have DNF'ed it but NOPE being the idiot that I am, I read till the end. It was an absolute waste of my time!

*deep breaths*

Now that we have successfully established my hatred for this book. Let's delve into the why's.

*I hate in bullet points*

1. This book disses Twilight but I honestly cannot compare it to anything else.

2. How o
Cindy
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
“Yeah, well, that’s not on top of my ‘to do’ list.” I let go of his hands and dusted off my jacket. “Can’t we skip the whole ‘collecting a soul’ thing? It’s almost the weekend. I don’t want any other emotional ordeals before I get a few days’ rest.” Leander opened up his mouth as if he was going to say something, and then shut it again. “What?” “It’s that girl’s funeral, right? Tara?” Way to ruin my good mood. “Yeah. That’ll be enough emotional turmoil to last the entire weekend.” “All right, th ...more
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
I received a free copy of the book from the author for my honest review.

Riley is just a sixteen year old girl with some great friends and family. She finds out that she is half human and half angel. She has a hard time dealing with it and finding out that her mother may have cheated on her father and he is not her real dad. She realizes that her mother could have been raped and she didn't cheat on her dad but she is upset mainly because the man she grew up with thinking he was dad and now finds
Katarina Kovcin
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I got this book from the publisher via NetGalley in an exchange for my honest review.

WORLD STRUCTURE

Everything is set in one little town, Fairhaven, where supernatural beings coexist with humans, although they are secretive and they usually appear fairly normal to humans. Only supernaturals can recognize themselves. Fairhaven has an history of being a holy place, a place where supernaturals come if they wish to gather more power. I liked that part of the book setting. The world structure is inte
Emily Katharina
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Paranormal Fans, fans of Twilight
****Full Disclosure: Like many of the books I review, I was very generously given a copy of this book in return for an honest interview. The generosity of the author/publisher does not affect my review*****

Witches. Vampires. Angels of Death. These are just a few of the characters/paranormal creatures you’ll be treated to in The Soul Thief, which will make it a favourite for paranormal lovers.

In The Soul Thief, Riley gets into a horrific car crash. During the car crash, she sees a girl steal a yo
Emmeline (The Book Herald)
I kindly received a copy of this book from Booktrope Via Netgalley in return for an honest review.

"The World exploded in a chaos of fire, debris, and noise"

I'll honestly admit, that a major incentive as to why i wanted this book was because of the cover! isn't it pretty!! *clears throat* Okay, let's talk plot!

Riley finds herself in an earth shattering car accident.
People are dying in front of her, the world for that moment stands still.
That is until she sees paramedics trying to save the li
Sandra Stiles
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was an on the edge of your seat story. The action starts on the very first page. You think you know someone only to find out that they were not who you thought they were and things were not the way you perceived them to be. Told from the perspective of a sixteen year old girl, this book is sure to grab the attention of those who love YA books. Anyone who has loved reading angel and demon book series will definitely love this one. As far as I'm concerned, this is the best out there. Riley is ...more
Bri
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it
What I liked: There's actually a variety of paranormal creatures featured in this story, something I was surprised about because normally I don't see that in paranormal books. It was refreshing to read about the other creatures in this world even though the focus was mostly on Riley and her learning not only about her heritage but trying to figure out what is happening to the girls who keep dying. It's very action packed and didn't linger too long on anything, moving quickly and also showed the ...more
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Books and Ladders

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

I really enjoyed this one. I probably would have given it more stars if I was okay with the romance, but I found myself a little ... creeped out by it. He was literally thousands of years older than her and I was not okay with them even attempting to pursue a relationship. At all.

I did like that Riley wasn't a fan of how Leander wanted to limit her a
Jana
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
4.5*

I received a free copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

In this book we follow the main character Riley, who after being in a terrible car accident discovers that she is actually part Angel of Death, meaning she is responsible for collecting souls. She has to come to terms with this realization, and then there is the mysterious deaths from heart attacks of several young people, which she has to find out the reason behind.

I really, really enjoyed this book
Roxanne Kade
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book reminded me of why I enjoy the YA PNR genre so much. With plenty of excitement and mystery as the protagonist learned that life was not as normal as they had always believed, and as they set out to really discover themselves and their new abilities. And although this book had many of the usual cookie cutter aspects of this genre, it was also filled with enough twists and turns to keep me interested and guessing.

I enjoyed going along for the ride as Riley learned about her new abilitie
Kristelle
I received a digital copy of this book via GHBT in exchange for my honest and unbiased review. Thanks for the copy! All are my own opinion and is not compensated by any individual, organization, or company. This might contain minor spoilers.

The Soul Thief is a very interesting and definitely a paranormal catch for everyone. It will bombard your fantastical mind with angels of death and reapers.

The Soul Thief is about young Riley, who didn’t know that she’s a Halfling until she saw an Angel of
Tracy
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing

The Soul Thief is a perfect read for any paranormal fan. While it's main character is an Angel of death, there are all. Sorts of creatures mentioned throughout including demons, witches and vampires. What's not to love? Riley finds out she's an angel of death after she is involved in a horrific car accident where she sees a girl steal a little boys soul. She's confronted by this girl, And escorted to another Realm to determine her fate. When she has spared,she meets her sexy guardian Leander. He
Ceecee
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it
This exciting YA novel begins with a traumatic jolt and keeps the exhilarating flow throughout! The characters are believable and the paranormal world created is easy to understand. Leaving the religious aspect open-minded, the author gives our young readers an engaging story that’s congenial for most. Although there’s a fleeting glimpse of romance, it’s appropriate and leaves us wanting for more!
Younger readers should take to this quite nicely! I recommend.

Quick note for the “pet-peevers”:
There
Renee Entress
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
4 star

This was the first book I read from this author. This story has mystery, vampires, witches, all sorts of paranormal beings, and also angels of death.

Riley was in a car accident and witnessed a girl taking a boy’s soul. She thinks she is going a little crazy. After she is taken and presented to the council they must decide if they are going to end her life as she is dangerous or if they allow her to learn to be an angel of death.

When girls around her age start to die under weird circumstan
Jo
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow. This is an action packed read. No big build up, no huge back story. It just jumps right into it. And it never really slows down.

The characters are well rounded and work well individually and in their interactions with each other.

The author really nailed teenage insecurity and drama against a background of angels and demons, which was set out in such a matter of fact manner that you couldn’t help but accept it.

I thought that this was essentially a well written who-dunnit, with a twist and a
Lisa Fallon
angels and demons story that isn't centred around a romance yes there's hint of romance but it's not everything.
the main story is about a 16 year old girl finding out she is a half- ling half angel half human, this means she's an angel of death who is still alive.
the story goes quiet slowly I felt at first but once you hit about 50% things really start happening, young girls are dying of " heart attacks" and they are all somehow connected to Riley.
overall I give his a 3.5 as I did enjoy it just
Vonia Adams
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cassandra Clare fans
This was a great book and I can't wait to read the rest of the series. It had all the right elements of making a wonderful young adult novel. The characters were interesting and well written, as was the storyline. There was plenty of suspense/action and a little romance but it definitely was not the focus of the book. Most of the main characters were teenagers but they didn't act ridiculously immature as many adult authors tend to write them. They thought and acted just as my students do, which ...more
AK Mama Reads
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-for-review
The Soul Thief is one of those books you pick up and read through in one sitting, or you want to at any rate. You’re sucked into the emotion and realness of the characters, especially Riley, and you become invested in what’s happening to her and those she loves. I rather enjoyed Leander and Gran as they were both sarcastic yet helpful, and they cheered Riley on. The story is not your boring, stereotypical paranormal romance, but much more like the great fantasies of old, calling to your heart an ...more
Akahayla
May 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
A very short read but also very frustrating.

I had sooo many issues with this book.

The characters (So much boy pining and pointless misunderstandings!! Characters are a huge reason why I couldn't go on), some parts of the plot (If Angels of death and Reapers are on some kind of a race to collect souls and if angels send the souls they find to heaven and reapers to hell, where does doing good or bad in this life come into the picture??) and the repetition of certain phrases to name a few.

Pretty
Nichole
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. Riley was in an accident. When she got out of her car, she saw a red-haired girl stealing the soul of a little boy that died in the accident. No one else saw her. Riley's life is about to change in a big way. I thought this was great YA and I look forward to more in the series.
Sania
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun, interesting, a quick , easy read for anyone!
Check out my full review here :
Christine
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is about Riley a 16 year old girl who finds out she's a halfling. Half human half angel. She's an Angel of Death and her job is to bring souls to heaven. She's given into the care of a guardian named Leander. His job is to teach her all about being an Angel of Death. Riley is confused and just trying to figure her new life and the fact that she's not 100% human. While this happens teenage girls are mysteriously dying of heart attacks. Riley realizes that they weren't taken by an Angel ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Loyalist to a Fault (The Dead Kid Detective Agency, #3)
  • Student Bodies (Poltergeeks, #2)
  • Trickery Treat (Charmed, #41)
  • Stop That Bull, Theseus! (Myth-O-Mania, #5)
  • The Girl Who Heard Demons
  • My Lunatic Life (Lunatic Life, #1)
  • Stolen Art
  • Entice: An Ignite Novella (Ignite, #1.5)
  • The Changeling (The Changeling, #1)
  • The Zombie Always Knocks Twice (Hollyweird, #1)
  • Spelled (Sayers Witch Series, #1)
  • Remnants of the Damned (Abyssal Sanctuary, #1)
  • Cross Roads
  • Twisted Stars
  • Maze of Souls (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #6)
  • The Fate of the Muse (Marina's Tales, #3)
  • The Lost Girl (Fear Street Relaunch, #3)
  • The Journals of Bob Drifter
Author Majanka Verstraete has written more than twenty unique works of fiction. A native of Belgium, Majanka’s novels explore the true nature of monsters: the good, the bad, and just about every species in between. Her young adult books include the acclaimed Mirrorland (YA Dark Fantasy) and Angel of Death (YA Paranormal) series of novels.

Majanka is currently developing a new YA shifter series wit

Angel of Death Series (2 books)
  • Demonic Pact