Start by marking “Dining Out with the Ice Giants (Dining Out Around The Solar System, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dining Out with the Ice Giants (Dining Out Around The Solar System, #2)

Dining Out with the Ice Giants

(Dining Out Around The Solar System #2)

Dining Out Around The Solar System Book 2

Two journalists in an alternate future London meet the people from the outer planets - during one of the worst winters for cold and flooding that London has suffered. From political misdeeds to mushroom picking in a disused Tube station, Donal and Myron uncover all sorts of activities... and dangers.

SAVED FROM LONDON’S FLOOD
Donal,
Kindle Edition, First, 213 pages
Published August 30th 2014 by Clare O'Beara

To ask other readers questions about Dining Out with the Ice Giants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dining Out with the Ice Giants

Start your review of Dining Out with the Ice Giants (Dining Out Around The Solar System, #2)
James McCormick
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Although science fiction, ‘Dining Out With The Ice Giants,’ has a grounded, gritty and realistic feel that I really enjoyed. The two main characters are journalists for a zine called the London Eye. Donal is a red headed, Irishman (restaurants and inexpensive wines) whilst Myron is an imposing six foot plus Jafraican (Adult entertainment) .Both are both fully realised characters with a convincing and believable friendship.

The zine’s offices are equally well penned and the author creates an
Carolyn Wilhelm
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent series (combo Ray Bradbury and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo)

I have not like a series so much since The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo — these are a combo of what I remember of reading Ray Bradbury decades ago. I cannot even stop writing long enough to write full reviews. I already purchased the others in this series and more by this author!
Sue Bridgwater
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I certainly picked a good time to read this middle book in Clare O'Beara's Dining Out series; January 2016, just after the horrendous Christmas and New Year floods in the UK. Here's what we hope is not a prediction for us, from Clare's vision of the not-so-distant future in her alternate earth. “Half of Somerset and Norfolk is under water, Lyme Regis cliffs falling into the sea, snow blocking roads in the Pennines. Cornwall, those sixty foot waves."

In the universe where our two heroes—Myron and
Janette Hawke
With this second helping in the Dining Out science fantasy series, we're filling in some of the gaps in Donal and Myron's journalistic career and finding more quirky insights into the secret lives of the visitors from the outermost planets in the System. The Ice Giants are, of course, Uranus and Neptune, but immigrants from dwarf planet Pluto are also prominent in this book where we find out more about their early days in London before they go into the ice cream and frosty treats trade.

What I
Alexis Grove
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dining Out with the Ice Giants is a gem of a book that creates a world that feels just like ours – but for the several species of Aliens who have immigrated in search of employment. These alien immigrants end up filling the marginal roles that poor immigrants fill in real world society. Suitably, the aliens’ willingness to work for low pay elicits resentment and scorn from Earth citizens. Moreover, scoundrels both human and alien find ways to manipulate and exploit the most powerless among the ...more
Jemima Pett
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
Two journalists on a futuristic magazine (zine) are always on the look-out for stories. They are the number one asset of the zine, and known for cutting edge exposés as well as their restaurant reviews. Due to their past histories, they are also used to communicating with immigrants from all over the solar system – Venusians, Plutonians, Neptunians… well you get the picture. Due to the floods at the Thames Barrier and some heroic work by a group of fluid-loving Neptunians, our journalists get ...more
Scott Spotson
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dining Out With the Ice Giants is a whimsical view of life in London, England at some point in the future where inter-planetary travel is not only possible, but is common. This story is told in first person view through the eyes of Donal, a male reporter who works for an on-line news source that is quite popular and highly esteemed.

During his regular rounds throughout the city Donal stumbles upon a race of Plutonians (inhabitants of the planet Pluto) who are being treated like slave labour. One
James T. Stewart
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone not prejudiced
Recommended to James by: A friend
This story is set 50 - 100 years or so in a future London. Life forms physically very different from us, but with similar wants, needs and failings have been found on most if not all of the planets from Mercury to Pluto. Each of them have unusual strengths and weaknesses.

For instance the Plutonians frequently insist "Pluto is a planet!" (Apparently someone told them it wasn't. I haven't read the first book in this series of 3 yet, and I definitely will. I suspect the answer may be there. In any
Kathleen
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dining Out with The Ice Giants (Dining Out Around The Solar System, Book 2) takes you to an alternative London of the future where residents of Pluto, Neptune, Mars, and Saturn live alongside Earth-born Londoners. This is the world where Donal and Myron, two bright, hard-working journalists ply their trade. Donal, also the narrator, has enhanced senses, especially smell:
“I snuffed in a deep breath rich with scent of Myron – a spicy mix of powdered ginger and orange oil, to me – of Tania, a cold
Ibiloye Christian
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love the story telling, the conversation and the main theme. I was tempted to think this story is not really a fantasy fiction work about aliens, but let me safely say it is about social issues relating to the integration of immigrants from non English speaking and less advantaged countries into the life and work opportunity in Britain's London community. The Neptunians, the short mushroom tenders, Plutonians, Mercurians, etc and the journalists from the London Eye, and other news agencies. ...more
Michelle
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ok, so wayyy more sci-fi than I'm used to, but I found myself absolutely loving it!

Donel and Myron are journalists in a future London that is just fascinating. They are from earth, but London is home to people from all sorts of different planets. The journalists paths cross with a number of them. The best part of the book was the descriptions of these aliens. The differences between them were crazy. A ton of thought was put into that.

The book takes us through many of the stories they cover and
Chikamso Efobi
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dining Out With The Ice Giants is a very well-written futuristic, yet realistic novel set in London, which revolves around two journalists Donal and Myron who work as reviewers in a zine aptly named, the London Eye.

They investigate a number of potentially scandalous stories, one of which involves the misdeeds of an MP.

As the two friends and colleagues follow the different stories, they come in contact with different characters some of which are from other planets such as Mercury, Uranus and
George Hahn
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
At first, I was a little put off by the story’s use of humanoid characters from every planet in the Solar System. The impossibility of this offended my hard science fiction nature, but I kept going. I was soon immersed in a very well-thought about world (future London) with interestingly quirky characters. There is definitely a plot here, but it takes a while to discover it. Meanwhile, the reader wanders a strange but familiar city with exploited Plutonians, heroic Neptunians, and many more ...more
Lincoln Cole
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This story creates a future london that feels very similar to the present day world we all live in, but it has enough Novums to keep the flow moving forward and the story feeling unique and different.

I'm a sucker for stories told from the perspective of journalists or news agents or anything of that sort, so this story really intrigued me in the ability to nail down a style. The author says she drew heavily from referential material in creating this story and it shows because of how well
Marco Marek
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The two journalists Donal and Myron were living in a futuristic London full of immigrants of every planet in our galaxy, and they always on the hunt for interview them. I choose a couple of them: Tania a Uranian girl who runs a mushroom farm with Plutonian workers, and two Neptunians with curious names: Osstprssa and Vsstcruush that Donal and Myron met at Cutty Sark in Greenwich.
There are interesting scientifical new things like: antigrav lift, and excellent explanation about Helium 3 and Helium
Anne (w/ an E)
Oct 09, 2015 marked it as unfinished
Shelves: kindle
Not my style. This book didn't interest me at all. I couldn't read more than 25% of it.
Richard Derus
Oct 30, 2016
Rod
Oct 30, 2019
Clare O'Beara
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shahadatbd

• Bits and Pieces: Maple Grove Writers' Studio Anthology One
  • Christmas Candee
  • The Wind
  • The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories
  • The Subtle Knife  (His Dark Materials, #2)
  • Bishop's War (Bishop, #1)
  • His Dark Materials (His Dark Materials #1-3)
  • Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future
  • Horace Winter Says Goodbye
  • Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5)
  • Bold as Love (Bold as Love, #1)
  • Faithful Place (Dublin Murder Squad #3)
  • The Penelopiad
  • Hazards of Time Travel
  • This Mortal Boy
Clare O'Beara is a tree surgeon and expert witness, and a former national standard showjumper. She has qualified in ecology and includes environmental issues in her stories. She has served on the Royal Dublin Society's Forestry and the Environment Committee.
Clare is an award–winning writer of fiction and non–fiction, whose journalism work has been published in more than thirty countries. Her

Dining Out Around The Solar System (4 books)
  • Dining Out Around the Solar System (Dining Out Around The Solar System, #1)
  • Dining Out with the Gas Giants (Dining Out Around The Solar System, #3)
  • Dining Out On Planet Mercury