Start by marking “Manual for Spiritual Warfare” as Want to Read:
Manual for Spiritual Warfare

Manual for Spiritual Warfare

A fierce war rages for your soul. Are you ready for battle?

Like it or not, you are at war. You face a powerful enemy out to destroy you. You live on the battlefield, so you can’t escape the conflict.

It’s a spiritual war with crucial consequences in your everyday life and its outcome will determine your eternal destiny.

You must engage the Enemy. And as you fight, you nee
Leather Bound, 336 pages
Published September 4th 2014 by TAN Books

To ask other readers questions about Manual for Spiritual Warfare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manual for Spiritual Warfare

Start your review of Manual for Spiritual Warfare
booklady
Paul Thigpen’s Manual for Spiritual Warfare could be compared to a marine field manual for spiritual combat survival. Sure you can face the enemy without reading a guide, but why? This one is very good. And trust me, we are at war.

James 4:1-7 identifies three primary threats to our souls: our own passions, the world and the devil. This manual focuses on the last of these adversaries because—according to Thigpen—our society tends to dismiss the existence of Satan as an outdated superstition. Even
Steven R. McEvoy
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Like it or not, you are at war.

This book is excellent. To be honest I had no idea where to begin with writing a review. So I went back to the book and copied my highlighted texts from the introduction and first chapter to give you a taste. To begin with we have: "First, belief in Satan's existence and activity is today widely dismissed as an outdated superstition. As a result, most Catholics hear very little about him, leaving them unprepared to understand and defeat him. They need to know their
Jeff Miller
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As the introduction spells out:

"Sacred Scripture speaks of our ongoing battles with the world, the flesh, and the Devil (see Jas 4:1–7). This book focuses on our struggle with the last of those three adversaries …"

He gives his reasons for concentrating on this aspect based on disbelief in Satan’s existence, lack of knowledge regarding resources available, and that even our struggles with the flesh and the world can be influenced by the Devil’s interference. This is a book of considerable balance
Stuart
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Manual for Spiritual Warfare has been one of the most popular Catholic books in recent memory. It seems like as soon as TAN Books ships them out to various retailers, they fly off the shelf before the dust ever settles. Now, I for one, don't normally fall prey to popular books. I like to think I look for the less known and less popular books, but when I was offered a chance to review this book, I figured I'd see what all the hype was about. Boy, was I glad that I did!

The Manual for Spiritual
Kenneth Patrick
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enlightening Book .

I didn't know the Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church was so on the spot so brilliantly were the Devil and.his horrible Fiends were at work in this Daily war we are in.

This book has just raised me from spiritual apathy and showed me how real this monstrous Enemy is.

He is still here and he is still a murderer and snake and a liar.

Kenny Mckechnie .
Jane Lebak
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catholic
Overall I think it's a good book, with a couple of caveats. I read the Kindle version, and first problem is it's too expensive. It's $10 for the Kindle version at this moment in time, and that's not competitive when most Kindle books are in the $5 range. Secondly, I found formatting and typographical errors in the text, such as Padre Pio's birth/death dates given as 1997 - 1968 (that would be a trick) and "chord" for "cord" at one point. Also, the margins run right up to the sides of the Kindle ...more
James
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I give this book a lot of credit because it introduced me to one of my favorite Saints: Bridget of Sweden, and of her life, the plethora of incredible revelations she witnessed.

Because of author Paul Thigpen's familiarity with St. Bridget of Sweden, and his willingness to quote her mystical experiences (a lot of Catholic authors are very shy to reveal which mystics are influencing their theological studies), I came to trust him and look forward to more of his works.

Otherwise, it is a good book,
Stephen Heiner
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: catholicism
I received a review copy of this some time ago and have had a chance to read/use it all the way through. It's beautifully bound and is part mini-reference, part prayers, with some hymns in the back for good measure. My sole complaint is that it features some Novus Ordo "saints" like JP2 Josemaria Escriva and Mother Teresa, but this is a very small part of the work and can easily be ignored. However, if you have access to a copy of the old manual "Blessed Be God" it's superior to this.
Mary
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book. Finally! A book that uplifts the soul unto God! A book that allows the soul to unite itself to Almighty God whilst engaging in spiritual combat!

This manual for spiritual warefare is a huge blessing. It came at the time when I was struggling quite intensely and assisted me in ways I did not think.

It is structural, realistic (does not beat around the bush, neither does it tone down the fact that we are in spiritual warefare), logical, understandable and founded on faith!

I
Robin
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful spiritual guide

The many prayers, quotes, and bible verses were a good resource in combating spiritual attack. I also appreciated the guidance at the beginning of the book.
Yenny
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
If only this book is translated to Indonesian, I would frequently give this as a gift to my Catholic friends.
Jaime K
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm basing my review on the first 9 chapters and not the 10th. The 10th starts out great, with prayers against spiritual warfare, but there are 100 pages of it.
The 10th chapter is 1/3 of the book.
Yes, the prayers are fantastic, but there are too many at once--and many are repetitive. St. Michael the Archangel is my go-to and even I don't think we needed 20 prayers for him to fight the devil.

Just Starting: I already love that Thigpen constantly reiterates the fact that SOME issues within us are
Paul
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
A curious little miscellany, something I found better than average as a daily reader, especially as I managed to engineer finishing it on Easter Sunday. I found something of value in all the sections, although it would almost be better to read a psalm today and a episode from a saint's life tomorrow and a hymn or two the day after that, rather than plowing through them by category. As a "manual" or handbook it sorely lacks an appendix; it would then actually be a valuable thing to keep within re ...more
Riley
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, prayerful resource to be used again and again. Do not only read this book, USE IT. We live in very secular times where many Christians no longer think about the devil, demonic activity, or hell. Yet, these forces are raging, and it is important to have sources available to help combat the enemy, above all, the Sacraments and prayer.
John
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book. You can easily apply the concepts to modern life and the various ways that we are tempted to sin. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for guidance on how to overcome the many temptations we face everyday
Carina
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholic
Excelling!!! Took it in small doses, uplifting daily spiritual food.
Brandon Tate
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
the book itself is very well made, it was an easy read through but also one i will be coming back to from time to time, a lot of good prayers in this book and very useful knowledge to gain from it
Haremare
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: catholic
good if it's your first book on spiritual warfare
Jess Reidt
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paul-thigpen
🖤🖤🖤
Patrick
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, religion
A great introduction to and resource on the topic. Part 2 in particular is basically a series of appendices one can return to again and again for inspiration and prayer material.
Matthew
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: catholic, toreadagain
Definitely one to pocket and reread throughout spiritual direction. The resources are rather helpful as well.
Greg
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In today's world, one must have at least a familiarity with the concept of Spiritual Warfare. When the arrows are flying it helps to know you are on the battlefield.
Martin Escarzaga
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wonderful read for those that wish to add just a small measure to their faith. Organized well.
John
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first third of this book is an overview of spiritual warfare, in the last two thirds of the book is A collection of prayers, scriptures, and testimonies from the Saints. Very good overall, production value was very high on this book. I love the way it feels in my hands, and I love the bookmark ribbon included with it. I only wish that there were better footnotes and citations for where to track down original sources.
michael morse
Nov 06, 2018
Patrick
Jan 24, 2016

• The Imitation of Christ
  • An Exorcist Explains the Demonic: The Antics of Satan and His Army of Fallen Angels
  • The Secret Of The Rosary
  • Hail, Holy Queen: The Mother of God in the Word of God
  • The Spirit of the Liturgy
  • God or Nothing
  • Crossing the Threshold of Hope
Paul Thigpen, Ph.D., is the editor of TAN Books. An award-winning journalist and best-selling author, he has published forty-two books. His work has been translated into twelve languages and circulated worldwide.

News & Interviews

“St. Bernard of Clairvaux tells us: “However great may be the temptation, if we know how to use the weapon of prayer well, we shall come off as conquerors at last, for prayer is more powerful than all the demons.” 2 likes
“our days in this life provide a season for God to test, purify, strengthen, and perfect us, making us fit to live with Him forever in heaven. To that end, the demons serve as useful tools for Him as they constantly test us by tempting us, so that we become purer and stronger and closer to perfection every time we resist the temptation.” 1 likes