Start by marking “House Rivals (Joe DeMarco, #10)” as Want to Read:
House Rivals (Joe DeMarco, #10)

House Rivals

(Joe DeMarco #10)

As a Washington, D.C. fixer, Joe DeMarco has found himself in plenty of unexpected situations, but none takes him further out of his element than the one early in House Rivals, the latest book in Mike Lawson’s award-winning series: a three-day road trip through Montana and the Dakotas with a twenty-two-year-old firebrand blogger.

His young companion is Sarah Johnson, whose

Published July 7th 2015 by Atlantic Monthly Press

To ask other readers questions about House Rivals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House Rivals

Start your review of House Rivals (Joe DeMarco, #10)
HBalikov
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
It’s the summer of 2017 and I needed a break from the constant flow of news about misuse of power and lies and government corruption. So I chose another is the series of political thrillers involving Joe DeMarco, the guy who “doesn’t work for the former Speaker of the House.” And, of course the plot includes the misuse of power and lies and government corruption.

Some have called Joe a “fixer.” I believe he would consider himself a non-voluntary problem solver. He is officially on the House of Re
Matt
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Lawson returns with a tenth "House" series novel, in which he treats readers to a politically charged thriller with a fresh approach. Joe DeMarco has played the role of political fixer for many years. while under the employ of former House Speaker John Mahoney,. After being summoned to see Mahoney, DeMarco is sent to Montana to meet with the congressman's long-time friend. From there, DeMarco finds himself in North Dakota to protect a blogger with a chip on her shoulder and billionaire Leonard C ...more
Kappy
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I have read all 10 books in this series and have enjoyed them.
Viccy
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Former Speaker of the House, John Mahoney, sends his guy, Joe DeMarco, to Montana to find out why a young woman is being targeted. Sarah's grandfather saved Mahoney's life in Vietnam and Mahoney knows he can never repay that service. Joe arrives and as he begins to investigate he uncovers a conspiracy that reaches across the entire state of Montana, North Dakota and South Dakota. It seems as though an oil and gas man from Houston is complicit in bribing judges and state representatives to fuel h ...more
B Shea
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This one is a political thriller that shows the dark corrupt side of politics, power and wealth. Joe Demarco works for a high ranking Washington DC politician fixing problems for his boss and having access to use any federal resource he needs such as the FBI and the IRS. I have read several of the Joe Demarco series and really like the this author. Very realistic, unfortunately. Recommend this author and you will end up liking Joe D too.
Danielle Gonzalez
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Joe DeMarco is back! I was so excited to read this as soon as it was released and I was not disappointed. This is the 10th book in the series. Joe is a "fix-it" guy for Mahoney, a congressman who used to be the speaker of the house. An old friend of the congressman calls and asks for his help saying his daughter has been attacked and threatened. Mahoney sends DeMarco to find out what happened. This is one of the first books where DeMarco is working primarily by himself. In earlier books, he work ...more
Dan Smith
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
His young companion is Sarah Johnson, whose grandfather saved the life of DeMarco’s boss, Congressman John Mahoney, in Vietnam. It has fallen to DeMarco to protect Sarah
Peg
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Book

I love Joe DeMarco. He is so funny with the way he whines and lies. The outcome of the cases involved is satisfying and with the exception of one incident things are more believable than the endings of most books. I even like Mahoney, old reprobate that he is. It's nice to have a corrupt Democrat for a change. I picture him looking just like Ted Kennedy. I'm glad this series is continuing.
Daniel
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
the 10th book in the Joe Demarco series. enjoyable, quick read mystery, this time with Demarco going to South Dakota to help solve the murder of Mahoney's friend granddaughter. his usual helpers aren't present in this book. the book is on par with most of the rest of the series
Lee
Joe DeMarco may have met his match in this book he is pitted with political fixers like himself. Going out to the Dakota’s to help out an old friend of Speaker Mahoney’s he finds himself investigating a billionaire and his political fixers.
Cathy Biggers
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new 2018 Joe DeMarco book from my library to finish the series. This has been a thrilling, intense, and outstanding series of political life. Thanks, Mike Lawson!
Alex
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The usual fare one expects from a Joe DeMarco mystery: missed opportunities, incompetence, droll craven idiots, and everyday mundanity crafted into an orchestra of outstanding weirdness. I will surely read the next in the series.
Steve
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
March 2020. I have returned to Joe DeMarco stories just as the corona virus outbreak turned full force. I have five at my bedside and am rather quickly plowing through them. I enjoyed the change of venue to Montana and that part of the country. Good story!
TraceyK
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I will always give this man 5 stars for his enthralling work. This read was alittle sad, with a great storyline and a good ending. DeMarco is a character from heart!
Bill
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story that digs deep into the culture of North Dakota, political corruption in rural states and the power of the super-rich.
Roger
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun book to read. Could be a television murder mystery.
Marina56
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Why has it taken me so long to find this author?
Pastrix
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Donald Peschken
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic Lawson! Great story about bribery in big buiness. DeMarco at his best. Witty and humorous.
Joshua
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've listened to all of the Joe DeMarco Series. So far this was the weakest. Just didn't engage me like the others.
Hara
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brisk paced good read

I like the characters, the plot and the dialogue. A great plane flight diversion and DeMarco is a cool, complicated guy.
Jim Willse
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
My third Joe DeMarco and just as much fun. I'm doing the audiobooks, which are ably read by Joe Barrett. A great series for long drives.
Larry
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Joe DeMarco, troubleshooter bagman and fixit man for the Democratic leader in the House of Representatives (John Mahoney, the once and future speaker), gets sent to the Dakotas (my country) to solve yet another problem that won't see the light of day. In something resembling honor, Mahoney sends Joe to North Dakota to help the daughter of one of his Vietnam service buddies, someone who saved Mahoney's life in Vietnam. This assignment is as close to honorable as Joe has gotten from Mahoney (who i ...more
Amy Thorleifson
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Joe DeMarco, who is a fixer for former Speaker of the House John Mahoney, is sent to the wilds of North Dakota to save Sarah Johnson. Sarah is a blog author and is investigating the head of a natural gas company who seems to exert suspicious pressure on anyone who opposes him. Her life has been threatened, and Joe realizes that his opponents are likely in the same business he is. When the income of the fixers is threatened, Joe learns that they are ruthless and resourceful adversaries.
DeMarco i
Nick Brett
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of the author and his brilliant DeMarco series.
DeMarco is a "fixer" for a senior US politician, doing jobs under the radar in the murky world of US politics. Where this series works so well is not just the clever plotting but very effective and believable characters. DeMarco is no ex special forces type, he is an ordinary slightly lazy type who would rather be playing golf or having a beer.
In this he is sent to look into the complaints of a young lady whose blog seems to have upse
John Yingling
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a consistently outstanding series that I believe is very underrated and needs to reach a wider audience. Congressman and former Speaker of the House John Mahoney and Joe DeMarco are two very disparate characters who have a found a way to work together. Mahoney is not a very admirable person, but DeMarco is. The stories are engrossing from beginning to end. House Rivals is the 10th in the Joe DeMarco series; I am looking forward very much to number 11.
Denise
Jul 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Always look forward to a Mike Lawson book - this was his latest. While never a "pot-boiler", his stories reflect today's political issues. While this did not have a happy ending, it did resolve in a way that many of us fantasize about when thinking of big business moguls and other contemporary villians.

DD@Phila
Dean L. Randolph
gert
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
one of the things i love about this series is that book ten joe is not the same person as book one joe. he's changed - both outwardly and inwardly - which is what SHOULD happen when you span this many years. too many series become rote, characters frozen in time (i'm looking at you andy carpenter).

great storyline.
Robert Knorr
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another great book in the series. DeMarco a bit out of his element in more of a country setting but still up to his Mahoney "ordered" tricks. A pleasant change of pace and a thoroughly enjoyable read. Looking forward to the next installment in the series, but first have to take a look at M A Lawson's "Rosarito Beach" for a whole new set of characters.

• Rosarito Beach (Kay Hamilton, #1)
  • The Unknown (Jonathan Quinn #14)
  • K Street (Kay Hamilton, #3)
  • Viking Bay (Kay Hamilton, #2)
  • Buried Secrets (Nick Heller, #2)
  • Ultimate Power: A Thriller
  • Viking Raid (Robert Fairchild #2)
  • The Rule of Nine (Paul Madriani, #11)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6)
  • The Last Trial
  • Backlash (Scot Harvath #19)
  • The Art of Execution: How the world's best investors get it wrong and still make millions
  • Breach of Duty (J.P. Beaumont, #14)
  • Taking the Fifth (J.P. Beaumont, #4)
  • Shadow of Betrayal (Jonathan Quinn, #3)
  • Judgment
  • Firing Point (Jack Ryan Universe,  #29)
  • The Shipping Man (Robert Fairchild #1)

Pen name: M.A Lawson

Michael Lawson was raised in Pueblo, Colorado and attended college at Seattle University, receiving a degree in engineering. On leaving college he went to work for the US Navy as a nuclear engineer, spending approximately thirty years working for the Nav

Joe DeMarco (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Inside Ring (Joe DeMarco, #1)
  • The Second Perimeter (Joe DeMarco, #2)
  • House Rules (Joe DeMarco, #3)
  • House Secrets (Joe DeMarco, #4)
  • House Justice (Joe DeMarco, #5)
  • House Divided (Joe DeMarco, #6)
  • House Blood (Joe DeMarco, #7)
  • House Odds (Joe DeMarco, #8)
  • House Reckoning (Joe DeMarco, #9)
  • House Revenge (Joe DeMarco, #11)