Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “How to Make Coffee: The Science Behind the Bean” as Want to Read:
How to Make Coffee: The Science Behind the Bean
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

How to Make Coffee: The Science Behind the Bean

by
really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  332 ratings  ·  37 reviews
To make any old cup of coffee, you simply need a pot, heat, ground coffee, and water. But you're not just anyone. You are a coffee aficionado, a determined, fearless seeker of the best java. And this is the guide for you.
                      
How to Make Coffee provides an in-depth look at the art and science behind the bean. Learn the anatomy of coffee; the chemistry of
...more
Hardcover, 160 pages
Published April 14th 2015 by Harry N. Abrams (first published January 1st 2015)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about How to Make Coffee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Make Coffee

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
really liked it 4.00  · 
Rating details
 ·  332 ratings  ·  37 reviews


More filters
 | 
Sort order
สุวิชชา จันทร
หนังสือเลมนีตนฉบับดีอยูแลว แตไมคิดวาจะมีสนพ.ไหนหยิบมาแปลไทย เพราะคอนขางเฉพาะทาง จึงดีใจทีไดอานภาคภาษาไทยของหนังสือเลมนี ความดีอีกขอกคือมีคำศัพทหลายคำเกียวกับกาแฟทียังไมเคยมีใครกำหนดคำเปนภาษาไทยมากอน หรือไมนิยมใชแพรหลาย หนังสือเลมนีจึงใชเปนแหลงอางอิงคำศัพทไดอีกทางหนึง แมวาจะมีหลายคำไมคุนหูอยูบาง แตโดยรวมแปลออกมาไดกระชับ สละสลวยดี ชอบครับ ...more
บอมบุง พ่อยอดคะน้าอ่อน
ใหความรูสึกแบบ Dictionary รวมศัพทนารูเกียวกับวงการกาแฟ แตปัญหาของหนังสือลักษณะนีคือมัก Stuck in the Middle คือลึกแบบครึงๆ กลางๆ ทำใหบางประเดนอานจบแลวจำอะไรไมไดเลย เพราะเตมไปดวยชุดคำศัพททีเขาใจยาก

เหมาะสำหรับผูเริมตนสนใจเรืองกาแฟ
...more
Deirdre
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fromlibrary
Everything you've ever wanted to know about making coffee, science and complicated methods. The geekiest book I have read on coffee making.
Jeremy Hessman
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Contains a lot of information about the coffee industry, brewing techniques, and helpful tips, without feeling overwhelming. Great brief overview while still getting the full picture that helps show why people are obsessed with coffee.
Fernando De Freitas
Amazing little coffee book. It's focused mainly on the technical aspects of the coffee bean and also some brewing theory. Also has pretty handy instructions on how to brew coffee using different methods, as well as how to brew different espresso types (like ristretto and macchiato). It's a nice book to fine-tune your coffee making skills
Jay
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coffee
Very much the facts about coffee, from chemical makeup and chemical processes in growing, prepping, grinding, roasting, and brewing, through devices used for coffee. The book ended with descriptions of different coffee and espresso drinks with steps to make these drinks well defined. There are line drawings throughout. This is more for reference, the author doesn't try to make it very exciting. I noticed the info on the Clover machine, which is covered in a few paragraphs, was a bit dated. The b ...more
Hong
Sep 21, 2016 rated it liked it
- Level of scientific details: enough for a 40 minutes presentation at high school level. This is at ~20% of my expectation.

- Practical information for coffee-makers: probably sufficient for amateurs? Probably not for professionals. I do find information that helps me and I am satisfied.

- Clarity: easy to read overall. There are subjective descriptions I find confusing (not sure if it's my fault). For example, "complex snappy composite flavors", or a figure showing grind size without scale bar.
Dariusz Kuśnierek
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jeśli interesuje Was nie tylko to *jak*, ale i *dlaczego* właśnie tak należy przygotowywać kawę, to ta książka jest dla Was.
Jeffrey Ning
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
João
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to coffee: its origins, processing methods, roasting, grinding and preparation. The book briefly presents all this concepts in an informed and neutral manner. For my first book about coffee, I think it was a great read!
Nutdanai Kobchainarumit
เปนหนังสือทีดีสำหรับคนทีรักและสนใจในกาแฟ ใหความโดยรวมทังประวัติศาสตรทีมาทีไปของกาแฟ , ความแตกตางของสายพันธ , กวาจะมาเปนกาแฟแตละแกว จนถึงกระบวนการในการรังสรรคแกวกาแฟ เพือเลือกวิธีการทีสนใจแลวไปหาขอมูลเชิงลึกเพิมตอไป ...more
Wesley Andrews
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Content and organization is solid. Format, namely brown ink on tan paper, is difficult to read.
Lauma
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: precīzi, science
I brought this book because I like coffee and it looked pretty. It turned out suprisingly informative and research grounded, good introduction about coffee-related stuff.
Mikael
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informativ.
Lex
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a handy guide for the coffee-curious, particularly when it comes to giving a how-to for different home brewing methods. I keep my copy near my burr grinder for reference!
Tate
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Fantastic resource and great starting guide for those interested in coffee. I definitely learned a lot about the science behind the coffee bean.
Cloay
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
- available in SG NLB 641.3373 (Bishan)
yamiyoghurt
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Useful book on coffee that provided some insights into coffee science that I haven't got from others.
Jonas Stephan Johnson
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good day all well this is i faith a good book through coffee god blees really.
Ameera BinKadra
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very useful.
Ivy Cai
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good relaxing read during my free time. Need that theoretical knowledge of coffee-making!
Riku Kauhanen
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: common-history, food
Mainio ja hyvin toimitettu opus kahvista.
Lydia
Aug 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Pretty much what it says on the tin—everything you need to know about coffee. This book is informative but dry, and shows just how obsessively precise your coffee can be. I don't think I'll be picking up a refractometer anytime soon, but knowing how to adjust a brew for flavor is a handy piece of knowledge.

This book corrected some of my presumptions about decaf and instant coffee (there is no reason for either to be terrible). There were loads of diagrams and charts for just about everything you
...more
Justin
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic overview of coffee. It contains summaries of dozens of topics, all in one beautiful volume. (A quick note about the physical book: the illustrations are lovely, and the tactile qualities-- heft, size, paper are great as well.)

If I have a complaint, it's that I felt many topics could have been explored more robustly. There are no inaccuracies that I noticed. In the end, a great book to have around, as it collects information from many sources and condenses it. Recommended for
...more
Sam
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Technical and thorough, but accessible for scientifically-disinclined minds. "How to Make Coffee" might be misleading, since the foci of this book are the basic scientific principles underlying each step of coffee production (botany, processing, roasting, brewing, etc.). The author is Lani Kingston, not Joseph Murray Malone.
Mike Wardrop
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book starts slow and finishes well for the amateur coffee drinker who had an interest in the process as well. I wouldn't callbit a how-to guide, even though there is a bit of that at the end but basically exactly what the title promises: the SCIENCE behind it all.
Henry Kimball
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book on coffee 101: What technological innovations have invited more to drink this incredible beverage, as well as preference in terms of bean, grinding, and extraction methods. Pretty scientific and historical bringing you to exciting times in Africa to Brazil to Turkey and beyond.
Guillermo Gonzalez
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting knowledge about the various forms of coffee beans, brewing and chemistry behind coffee. However, I felt that the last section missed important details so it could explain more clearly how to use the different machines.

I like the part explaining why the americano coffee has its name.
Lara Thompson
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
The science geek in me reveled alongside my inner coffee addict (although I've learned that coffee, strictly speaking is non addictive). Chemistry galore and history, geography, and even a short chapter on how to make coffee this book is so awesome I took notes. Highly recommend.
Max
Apr 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, library
Factual and informative book about the science behind coffee with nice diagrams. Much like an encyclopedia / guide book that coffee lovers may want to keep nicely on their shelf, to refer to time to time, but not for casual readers. Skipped through parts of the book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »

Readers also enjoyed

  • Serve Yourself: Nightly Adventures in Cooking for One
  • Tiger Writing: Art, Culture, and the Interdependent Self
  • The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee: Growing, Roasting, and Drinking, with Recipes
  • The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance and Repair: For Road and Mountain Bikes
  • The Homebrewer's Companion
  • Feed Zone Portables: A Cookbook of On-the-Go Food for Athletes
  • The Snow Lion and the Dragon: China, Tibet, and the Dalai Lama
  • Fieldbook
  • How to Cool the Planet: Geoengineering and the Audacious Quest to Fix Earth's Climate
  • Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair
  • Scandinavian Comfort Food: Embracing the Art of Hygge
  • The World Atlas of Coffee: From Beans to Brewing -- Coffees Explored, Explained and Enjoyed
  • Ingredient: Seeing Beneath the Surface of Food to Take Control in the Kitchen
  • 50 Shades Of Kale
  • Heft on Wheels: A Field Guide to Doing a 180
  • Fäviken
  • Izakaya: The Japanese Pub Cookbook
  • Your Body, Your Yoga: Learn Alignment Cues That Are Skillful, Safe, and Best Suited To You
See similar books…

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »