Start by marking “Rutabaga the Adventure Chef (Adventure Chef #1)” as Want to Read:
Rutabaga the Adventure Chef (Adventure Chef #1)

Rutabaga the Adventure Chef

(Adventure Chef #1)

A fantasy graphic novel series follows an "adventure chef" named Rutabaga, who travels to a fantasy land to find bizarre ingredients to cook in his enchanted cauldron. The books will include pages straight out of Rutabaga's cookbooks, with recipes that readers can make at home.
Published March 31st 2015 by Harry N. Abrams (first published March 1st 2015)

First Second Books
This book is delightful and adorable!

Who doesn’t love the fantasy-adventure traveling chef? Especially when he’s occasional the one to save the day through his amazing cooking prowess?

This is a book for everyone who secretly wants to go on a quest . . . but still wants delicious food along the way!
Jillyn
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the cutest book. I was intrigued by it because I love stories to do with cooking and food. My dad was a chef and I grew up in the kitchen, so it's a nice relatable bit of nostalgia for me.

The artwork is adorable. It's fun for kids with good details and even better facial expressions. I could very easily see this as a fun anime-styled cartoon on the Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon, or even PBS Kids. It's a high adventure mixed with a lot of humor. Reading it made me smile even as an adult
Wayne McCoy
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Rutabaga the Adventure Chef' adds a foodie to an adventuring D&D type adventure with pretty funny results.

Rutabaga and his travelling cooking pot, Pot, are in search of exotic ingredients. When a party of adventurers runs across him, he decides to join them with his huge portable kitchen strapped across his back, and his battle cry, "Let's Get Cooking!" they go in search of a dragon, and any exotic ingredients that Rutabaga can find. In the second adventure, Rutabaga gets hired to cook for
Raina
Feb 12, 2015 added it
Shelves: graphicnovel, j, funny
D&D for kids, except your powers all revolve around being a great chef. In comics.

Cute, brightly colored, good for the Lunch Lady, Babymouse set who aren't quite ready for Zita the Spacegirl, Monster on the Hill etc.
Easy to follow, some silly recipes (all the ingredients in the story are fictional - the only recipes you could actually make are in the extra matter at the back).
Cameron Chaney
I picked this graphic novel up today while working on the Bookmobile, reading bits when I had a chance. It's very popular with kids and the colorful cover caught my eye. I wasn't sure if it'd be any good, but I enjoyed it from the minute I opened it. A graphic novel that combines fantasy, humor, and a love for food? Yes, please!

Rutabaga is quite hilarious and very adorable. The art style is fun, as it seemed to mix different aspects of Internet imagery.

Also, I found myself identifying with Ruta
Alisha
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended for a D&D group with a chef in the party. This book was really cute and I loved the colorful pictures. Now I'm going to look up the rules for an enchanted pot companion.
Ms. Yingling
May 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Public library copy.

Rutabaga, who lives in a Anglo-Germanic medievalish world, travels around in search of adventure and exotic ingredients. There are few problems that arise which his concoctions can't fix, whether it's fighting dragons or getting the king's new pet to eat. There are lots of adventures to be had, including tagging along with a group of scary looking soldiers from Fnard who want to avenge their mother's death. Traveling with a kitchen on his back and a ready "Let's get cooking"
Paula
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: clear-group, 2015, clear
This is a promising first volume in a debut manga-inspired graphic novel series set in an unnamed, medieval fantasy world populated by dragons, vikings, spooky squash, a newt-like somnivore named Norman, and the giant Korkanis. Sound strange? It is, but it somehow works. Readers will have no trouble assimilating to this strange new world, nor to it's unlikely hero - a short, bald adventure chef named Rutabaga - who along with his trusty (animated) cooking pot are on a quest to defeat a dragon, f ...more
Marisa
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This book is hilariously awesome. Rather than following a typical adventure-seeker, Rutabaga is an “adventure chef”. He travels high and low searching for unique ingredients, which often plops him in the middle of real adventure itself! I will absolutely be following up on some of Rutabaga’s future trips.

Throughout the book, Rutabaga’s recipes are listed as if in a real cookbook. This is a fun and unusual aspect of the book that changed it up and kept it interesting. As a bonus for young readers
Sara Grochowski
Introducing Rutabaga, a culinary adventurer willing to travel great distances and defeat dangerous beasts in his quest for the perfect ingredient! Traveling with his pop up kitchen and trusty sidekick, Pot, Rutabaga finds himself in all manner of sticky situations where, despite his underdog status, he manages to save the day and prepare some pretty impressive meals. Full of humor, adventure, and foodie creativity, this first volume of Rutabaga’s adventures is sure to win over even the most relu ...more
Jason
I was pleasantly surprised. Rutabaga is a unique kind of fantasy hero because of his atypical skill set. He hides while the warriors do battle, and then cooks them all a wonderful meal afterwards. But he's never portrayed as weak or cowardly. He knows his strengths and will readily jump into an adventure that will put them to good use. Plus all the characters overreact to pretty much everything and it's adorable. This looks to be a great start to a series for kids who don't see themselves as the ...more
Rachelle Kirby
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very Cute, perfect for foodies like me. Perfect size for my toddlers little hands. Perfect or my teens. Perfect for everyone. I'll be reading this to my toddler when he is a little older. Fun story with bright illustrations.
Kristina
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Taking a look at what my son was reading. This is a cute story about a boy chef, his magical pot and the adventures they take looking for new ingredients.
Crys Jackson
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was super cute, and I loved the fantasy food ingredients. I would love to have a D&D character like Rutabaga!
Patrice Sartor
Rutabaga wields a spatula instead of a sword, yet an adventurous spirit still burns in him, leading him to join up with brave fighters, hunting monsters and meeting others. Some recipes are illustrated, with fantasy-type ingredients that could be substituted for modern-world ones fairly easily. Plus, the author includes some recipes at the back of the book so you too can GET COOKING (Rutabaga's war cry)!

Oh, how I loved this book! It exudes charm, it caused me to giggle, and it made me smile lots
Senator
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
An easy, comic-book style chapter book for children, "Rutabaga the Adventure Chef" is very entertaining. Rutabaga is a little chef making his way through various adventures -- all seeking new ways to make delicious dishes. The characters he meets along the way lend to an all around good-time book. While there isn't an overall story -- more like mini-adventures to be enjoyed -- readers can take comfort in the fact this will be a series, and they will be chuckling until the last page.

***Many thank
Amanda
Sometimes adventures are not what you imagine, and adventurers come in all types. If you are looking for your adventures to contain epic creatures, rare artifacts, danger, drama, slightly disgusting things, and good food, then this is the book for you!
Caitlyn
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very silly, very fun.
Gemma
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! I loved the combo of simple illustrations + funny quips, the short chapters, & esp. the real recipes at the very end.
Kate
This book is adoooorable. Rutabaga is my favourite adventure chef. I love all the magical foods that exist in his world. I'm excited for the next one!
LALa
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist
As my update said, I thought it was adorably wonderful and it stays that way until the very end. I forgot how I discovered this, I think a recommendation (here). Anywho, the cover and "Adventure Chef" caught my attention so I had to read more. In doing so Rutabaga the Adventure Chef seemed like a fun and slightly more original idea, one of which delivers in the first book.

It's a fast read for adults, obviously, but enjoyable. Especially if you're someone into fantasy, fun, humor, and of course
Melissa
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rutabaga is ready for a culinary adventure with his travelling kitchen, fantastical ingredients, and his trusty pot, Pot. Readers journey through dark caves and into luxurious palaces while learns the secrets to preparing an absolutely exquisite meal.

Cooking is not simply a side quest for Rutabaga, but the ultimate goal of his explorations; each dish is accompanied by a recipe that mimics real techniques and dishes, but with steps filled to the brim with magical ingredients such as ghost mushro
Becky B
Rutabaga is an adventure chef. He goes out seeking exotic ingredients, and often ends up inadvertently helping other adventurers in their quests.

This reminds me quite a bit of the manga Delicious in Dungeon, except Rutabaga just kind of stumbles across his adventures and it is a much more lighthearted/funny read than the manga. I like Rutabaga and his accidental heroism. There are some real recipes in the back of the book for wanna be exotic chefs. I'd only hand this to middle graders who can ha
Andrea Lorenz
Adventure is out there! And Rutabaga is going to find it (and eat delicious food along the way)! Follow Rutabaga as he fights dragons, meets kings and queens, and wins over the world's crankiest cook with delicious food.

Perfect for readers of Hamster Princess, Baby Mouse, and Lunchlady, Rutabaga is a fast-paced fantasy comic. This could appeal to a wide range of readers - there's some gross-out and physical humor for lower level readers, but some subtler jokes as well. I personally love the foo
Arnela
It's a pretty easy read, geared more towards young readers but anyone who likes comics and/or food can get into this.

Rutabaga the adventure chef goes on well some adventures in search of new ingredients to make amazing dishes. Along the way he makes some friends, eat some food, and gets scared....a lot.

In the back there's 3 fun little recipes to try at home [I'm a sucker for fun and easy at home snacks I can make for friends].

This is a cute little story to read when you want to have some fun and
Kris
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Set in an imaginary medieval world, Rutabaga is unique as a quester of ... new foods and experimental recipes! He travels with his pet cooking pot and a portable kitchen that he can strap onto his back. In the first book of the series, he helps fend off a dragon, feed a magical animal, and search for a legendary monster. This is a totally fun comic that should have wide appeal especially for young cooks.
Alex Lawless
This is a really cute kid's book that combines fantasy and adventure with cooking. The story is great for elementary readers, is funny, and has great visuals. The back of the book has fun, simple, themed recipes for kids to try with their parents. I could see this being a great guide to get picky kids to be more adventurous in trying new foods potentially, as well as being a fun, light-hearted read in general.
Morgan
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
For the most part this was cute and weird, but then... what the hell happened on page 85?? Rutabaga comments on an "odd-looking couple" who walked in -- they're clearly meant to be of Asian descent -- and then they literally never show up again?? What was the point of singling them out like that?? And then immediately after this, an older man pinches Rutabaga on the butt with his mangled claw hand. Again: WHAT? Burn this page and leave everything else and it'd be just fine.
Sharla Desy
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Not my thing, really, but I know 2nd graders who are going to explode if the third book in the series doesn't come out soon.

Rutabaga is a foodie adventurer who invariably manages to get himself into trouble. He saves the day by cooking his way to safety/favor/success.

There are "recipes" in each short story - quote marks because the ingredients are fanciful and fictitious. The finished product often has astonishing powers to heal/cure/bring happiness.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Pirates of the Silver Coast (Three Thieves, #5)
  • Hilda and the Black Hound (Hilda, #4)
  • Where's Halmoni?
  • Monster on the Hill
  • The Lunch Witch
  • Hippopotamister
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • Fangbone! Third-Grade Barbarian
  • Little Robot
  • The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1)
  • The Hidden Doors (Explorer, #3)
  • Feathers
  • Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea  (A Narwhal and Jelly, #1)
  • Space Battle Lunchtime Vol. 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion
  • Ninja-Rella: A Graphic Novel
  • The Thief and the Sword (Cleopatra in Space, #2)
  • Sparks! (Sparks! #1)