Start by marking “Trombone Shorty” as Want to Read:

Trombone Shorty

Hailing from the Tremé neighborhood in New Orleans, Troy “Trombone Shorty” Andrews got his nickname by wielding a trombone twice as long as he was high. A prodigy, he was leading his own band by age six, and today this Grammy-nominated artist headlines the legendary New Orleans Jazz Fest.
Along with esteemed illustrator Bryan Collier, Andrews has created a lively picture
Published April 14th 2015 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Trombone Shorty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trombone Shorty

Start your review of Trombone Shorty
Calista
It’s hard for me to imagine someone falling in love with a trombone. I have to admit it’s not my favorite instrument in the music world, but Trombone shorty fell in love with a trombone and he played it every day of his life. As a child he would fall asleep in bed with it he played so much.

At 4 years old, Bo Diddley pulled him up on Stage to let the boy play at a music festival there in New Orleans. There is a picture in the back of the event. I have to admit I’m not up on my jazz. I have heard
Agnė
3.5 out of 5
I loved how Trombone Shorty took over Bo Didldey's performance :)))

But although Collier's illustrations are beautiful, they somehow fail to convey how young (and tiny!) Trombone Shorty really was then this happened:

Unfortunately, I didn't like Collier's artwork in Trombone Shorty as much as I loved it in Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. . But I LOVED the illustrator's note at the end, which added an extra layer of meaning to the artwork:

"I felt it was
Barbara
Using his trademark collage, pen and ink, and watercolor illustrations, Brian Collier effectively captures the sounds and flavor of New Orleans, the home of musician Troy (Trombone Shorty) Andrews. Trombone Shorty's voice is distinct in this picture book describing his lifelong affinity for the music that filled the streets of Treme, his New Orleans neighborhood. Playing their own makeshift instruments, the youngster and his friends often followed in the footsteps of bands and street musicians ...more
Suzanne Moore
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Troy Andrews writes about how he began playing the trombone at a very young age and is now a successful, talented musician with his band Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue. The illustrations are watercolor mixed with collage and recognized this year with an honor Caldecott medal. Bryan Collier, illustrator, has won medals in the past for his art. His subjects are notable African Americans and his art tells life stories about their accomplishments. In this book Troy (a.k.a Trombone Shorty) ...more
Manybooks
Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews' delightfully personable and intensely enraptured first person narration, how he is telling the story of his own childhood, his own musical development (and that he so glowingly and joyfully describes New Orleans culture) have been an absolutely sweet and informative more than pleasant surprise for me. For Troy Andrews' words really and truly ring and sing with happiness and musicality, showing us as readers not only the importance of music for New Orleans as a ...more
Edward Sullivan
A young New Orleans prodigy who lives and breathes music realizes his dream of playing with some of the greatest musicians in the world. A lively, inspiring picture book autobiography superbly illustrated by Bryan Collier.
Samantha
This book is amaaaaazing!!! The tone is conversational and full of New Orleans flavor. I really enjoyed the repetition of the greeting "Where Y'at?" It worked as a way of orienting the reader to the New Orleans culture and as a great refrain. Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews talks about his upbringing, his love of music, and his city. Collage and watercolor illustrations are superb; in my opinion, the best we've seen to date from Bryan Collier. The stylistic choices give the book an energy and the ...more
Latanya (Crafty Scribbles)
"Where ya at?"

I'm sitting here enjoying this story based on a prodigy's (Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews) grasp of the New Orleans' trombone sound. Yes, this story is a child's story, but honestly, anyone, regardless of age should read or listen to this tale.

"Where ya at?"

I'm wondering how to fit a trombone in my closet while sucking on some crawfish. This story transports you to New Orleans eating fresh seafood and gumbo while listening to jazz.

"Where ya at?"

Wondering why you're so worried
Angela
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
YES! YES! YES!

Guess what we need more of...books like this! Trombone Shorty is too young to be a legend, but he is a living, breathing, beautiful, talented human (not-dead, not white) and this is his story.

I absolutely canNOT wait for this book's release. This is sure to be one of the best picture book bios of 2015.

Gary Anderson
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Vibrant colors, interesting angles, and multiple materials in the illustrations of Trombone Shorty evoke the jazz and gumbo of New Orleans. The text strikes just the right balance as it provides both entertainment and information about how musician Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews found his way as a musician.
Kimi
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, nonfiction
Really enjoyed this. I think it would especially be good for kids from our library who are lower income. It was a cool read about a local musician that I didn't even know existed. Loved it.
Carolanne
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best way to share it with students was with the audio cd! They could hear Trombone Shorty play his trombone!
Dan Mcdowell
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I decided to buy for my son who is arriving in October.
Terri
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Winner of the Coretta Scott King Illustrator Award and a Caldecot Honor for books published in 2015, "Trombone Shorty" is the true story of Troy Andrews (AKA "Trombone Shorty") and his musical upbringing on the streets, and in the "gumbo," of New Orleans. Told in his own words, and illustrated by Bryan Collier, the story shows the power of persistence and hard work. Music was pervasive in Andrews' Treme neighborhood, like breathing. As a little boy, he was passionate about music and carried the ...more
Linda Lipko
Most recently, The ALA (American Library Association) deemed this wonderful book worthy of two very prestigious awards, namely, for the illustrations of Bryan Collier, the Corretta Scott King award, and for the story and writing, the sought after award of the 2016 Caldecott Honor Book!

Sit back and be prepared to embrace this lovely autobiographical story of a little boy, way too big in stature for the trombone instrument, yet large enough in initiative, sheer determination and a God given
Dolly
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: older children and parents reading with them
With mixed media collage, pen and ink, and watercolor illustrations, this book really captures the essence of the musical splendor of life in New Orleans.

The narrative is informative and Mr. Andrews tells an inspirational tale of a young boy who finds fame through his passion for music and overcomes his impoverished beginnings to pursue his calling.

This book was selected as one of the books for the December 2017- Caldecott Honors 2013-2017 discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's
Joyce Yattoni
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
#bookaday A true story of "Trombone Shorty" AKA Troy Andrews who had the dream to make music for others and that is what he did. There is a beautiful author's note with pictures. He has played at the Grammy's, for President Barack Obama, and has released albums.

His dream is to make sure the music of Nee Orleans is passed on to future generations.

Another good story about perseverance. Could also be used for Genius Hour.
Marianne
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun jazzy art, neat story. I read so many picture book biographies, and it was pleasantly novel to hear the author tell his own story instead of someone else telling it on his behalf.
Sarah Donovan
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read this with a group of 8th grade boys including a close reading of the images. The story asks how one finds a passion and what one does with it to help others find theirs while making the world a little more joyful.
Aliza Werner
Biography of Trombone Shorty, jazz musician from New Orleans. Illustrations combination of collage and drawing.
Lynn
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a joyful book about the role and influence of music and this musical prodigy. Loved the portrayal of the neighborhood and the city too. Terrific illustrations.
Alex
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I did not like this book because I did not like the part when Trombone Shorty found a trombone. I enjoyed this book because I liked the part when Trombone Shorty went on stage.
Alicia
Why did I miss all of these amazing picture books? I literally finished it and was dropping it in the lap of my two musical sons saying here, read this, it's awesome.

The story itself picks a focus and doesn't overwhelm any of the personal details or get heavy-handed about skill and practice. The book plain and simply demonstrates the love of music and how to follow your passion especially when it runs through your veins.

The imagery is vivid and the storytelling is equally as powerful. The
Gina
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Good story of perseverance, community, and love for music.

The artwork is really innovative, but in a way that I found disconcerting.

That being said, in the back there is a photo of Trombone Shorty with Bo Diddley that is just precious.
Lexie Wosk
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In the past, I have read biographies that were repetitive, dull, and most of the time about someone I already knew. However, I finally was introduced to a biography in a different kind of way. Trombone Shorty is a beautiful, flowing, and heartwarming read based on the true story of Troy Andrews, who began to lead his own band by the age of six years old. I have never heard of Troy Andrews before, so reading a biography about someone that I have never heard of before immediately caught my ...more
Stephanie
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Trombone Shorty is a picture book and autobiography of how Troy Andrews was inspired to become a musician. Troy describes how the influence of New Orleans, where he grew up, was his inspiration to become a musician. “Any time of day or night you could hear music floating in the air.” Troy and his friends started their band as children by making their own instruments. Then Troy found a trombone and got his nickname, Trombone Shorty, because he was so small compared to the big instrument.

Trombone
Charlene
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story about a very young boy who starts playing the trombone. It took a photograph of Troy Andrews playing at the big New Orleans music festival to really convey how small and young he was then. Story conveys very nicely his love of music and of his hometown of New Orleans.
Heather McGrew
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Rational
Troy Andrews (2015) is the author of Trombone Shorty, which is an autobiography. The book takes place in Treme, a neighborhood in New Orleans, Louisiana. In this book Troy describes his passion for music, which began as a young child. He talks about the culture of New Orleans as well as the hard work it takes to accomplish his dream of becoming a musician. According to the article by Helen Adam and Laurie Harper (2016) Assessing and selecting culturally diverse literature
Tara Mortimer
Sep 26, 2017 added it
Shelves: elm-572
Trombone Shorty by Troy Andrews is a great autobiography for children in grades K-3. There were so many things that I loved about this book that I don't know where to start!

First, I thought the way that Mr. Andrews depicted his neighborhood in New Orleans was magical. His words, along with the Illustrations by Bryan Collier, painted a picture of a place where anyone would feel inspired to explore all of the great things the city has to offer. The musical culture is exciting and very different
Deania
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
This was an excellent book. It was amazing to read how the boy learned to play an instrument on his own, from one he found. To follow in the footsteps of his brother and others. To meet a famous person and to grow up doing what he always wanted to do. To hear where he grew up also helped with his musical career and learning experience. This is a good book for a music class.
Nelson #4-Trombone Shorty-African American 1 2 Jun 20, 2018 06:47PM