Start by marking “Random Acts” as Want to Read:
Random Acts

Random Acts

Bradley Zelder can't find his way in life. After struggling for nearly a decade, he has yet to complete his college degree. Working as a school custodian, living in blue-collar Landsbury, MA, his love life is as empty as the rest of his existence. But on his way home after another disastrous date, his truck breaks down in upscale Oceanside. When he thinks life can't get an ...more
Published October 13th 2014 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Random Acts, please sign up.
Mia Kerick This one is an adult release so it is definitely more mature in some of the sexual content. Oh, and love you too!!

Start your review of Random Acts
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
This book took a turn from light, romantic comedy to something darker just before the halfway mark.

Bradley is looking for more than a hookup; he's tired of bedding people with whom he feels no emotional connection. Caleb is finally ready to date following the sudden death of his beloved husband a few years back. When Caleb helps Bradley get home after Bradley's truck breaks down, the men are drawn to each other.

Almost immediately, I was put off by two tropes I don't like in my romance novels:
Sheri
Oct 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: meh
This is a prime example of why I don’t DNF. I’ll be straight up and tell you I was not feeling this book early on. Nope. Brad rubbed me the wrong way and I didn't connect with Caleb at first either. It’s tough to move forward when you can’t stand one of the MC’s and could care less about the other.
However, slowly and surely, things turned around and I found myself anxious for the final chapters.

Why did I struggle with the boys initially? To start with Brad is a self-proclaimed asshole. The open
Breann
3.5

Bradley was in and out of relationships and always bailed before things got too serious. Until some random stranger decided to help a fella out.

I loved the awesomely awkward beginning of Bradley and Caleb's relationship during the first date. Bradley was so awkward I was embarrassed for him. I also laughed at him, but I was mostly embarrassed. Luckily, Bradley decided to try just being himself in front of Caleb, instead of trying to be something he's not.

The beginning was cute with the buddin
Heller
Oct 13, 2014 rated it liked it
2.75

There was something about the style here that really distanced me from the characters when I started this book. It took me quite a bit into the read, about the midway point, before I was engaged with the men and their story. I really enjoyed the slow burn of the romance. I like when characters “court” and learn about each other and work to become friends before lovers, this story was a nice example of that. Bradley had a great attitude towards the memory of Caleb’s husband that also impresse
Mercedes
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance

I have enjoyed everything I have read by Mia Kerick which is why i didn't hesitate to read this story as soon as it became available. I liked this story very much: we have 30yo Bradley who works as a janitor in a school while puttering with college for the last ten years. Then you have 40yo Caleb. A middle school teacher grieving the loss of his partner of 17 years.

This story was interesting. The relationship is slow burn and hits a nice comfortable lull half way thru the book. Then som
Erin
Loved this story. Bradley and Caleb were so different from each other but so good together. I loved the mystery and the resolution was perfect.
BWT (Belen)
Belens Audio Book Review

This is one of those situations where the story and the narration just don't add up for me. Which is stunning to me as I normally love Iggy Toma's narration. However, this time around I really did not like the voice he used for main character Caleb. To me he sounded like a creepy Hal from 2001: a Space Odyssey. It just...every time he spoke I cringed. It didn't help that every time he opened his mouth he sounds horribly pompous and pretentious.

Examples:
"But I owe you honesty as you've jus
Veronica of V's Reads
Random Acts is a book about the power of love and kindness in the human experience.

Bradley Zelder is a bisexual man, working as an elementary school custodian, when he meets the handsome and very put-together Caleb Jorde. Caleb picks Brad up on the roadside when Brad's truck breaks down and this is the beginning of a tentative and tender romance.

Caleb is a widower. His husband died three years ago in a car wreck and it took him a long time, and a lot of therapy, to recover. Meeting Brad is excit
Amy
Jun 15, 2015 marked it as dnf
DNF at 52%. This one just isn't doing anything for me :( Moving on.
Toni FGMAMTC
Oct 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Bradley is super good-looking but has super low self-esteem.
I was what most women referred to as "hot." I had a chiseled masculine face with a hard body to match. Maybe I didn't require anything in the brain department—because I was eye candy.

He has been with loads of women and a few men, but he always feels empty after. Bradley doesn't label himself as straight, gay, bi, top or bottom. The only brand to which he identifies is looser. He uses people for sex, but can't commit to a relationshi
books are love
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
this was such a incredible book. the story is beautiful and sad and wonderful. the romance progresses in real time. We see the characters grow and learn about each other.

Bradley is floundering. Floundering in life, relationships and in self confidence. He doesn’t really know himself well or what he wants. He is down on himself and just wondering where his life will go when he meets Caleb. Caleb who is just starting to take a chance again since his husband Daniel passed away. Caleb is self assure
T.M. Smith
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bradley Zelder is a struggling ten year college student working as a janitor at a local school, he doesn't think he or his life will ever amount to much of anything. All that changes one night when his truck dies and a sexy stranger comes to his aid. Caleb is more adjusted in his life, or at least that is how he presents himself. Confident, successful and obviously attracted to Bradley so he asks him out for a beer. Bradley doesn't exactly turn him down, in fact, he doesn't say anything, leaving ...more
Love Bytes Reviews
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 star review by Lily

This story touched the core of my being. What was not there to keep me from feeling all emotional? Nothing at all! Mia Kerick’s Bradley Zelder is a young bisexual male, struggling to make something for himself despite feeling totally insecure, deep down. When he meets Caleb by pure chance, a sizzling man who appears to have everything that Bradley thought he did not have, it was only natural that Bradley was drawn to this handsome, educated and elegant widow.

But Bradley an
Star
Dec 05, 2014 added it
Bradley Zelder has been floating through life for at least the last ten years. He works as a school custodian and moves from fling to fling without a commitment, feeling nothing towards his bed partners. Sneaking out of his latest tryst’s home, Bradley’s truck breaks down too far away from home for his comfort. After receiving assistance from a man who embodies everything to which Bradley is attracted; Bradley almost lets his rescuer escape because he’s ashamed and intimidated. Plucking up his c ...more
Marc | Rainbow Gold Reviews
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5

I really liked this story. It is cute, romantic and there is a lot of character development. Bradley is unsure of himself and unhappy with his lot in life. When he meets Caleb, he can't understand how someone so confident with his life figured out could even give him a second glance. It is this confidence that has always attracted him, but when tragedy strikes everything is changed. I loved how the dynamic of the characters changes during the story. It was very interesting to see how the char
Marinieves
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Speechless is not a word that I frequently use ... And this book has done that ...

The story is told in a way that it seems Bradley is having a long conversation with you and due to that fact at the end of the book you are his friend and also you became friends with Caleb.

Both Bradley and Caleb deal with different aspects of insecurity and sometimes through the story it makes want to share a hug with them ... Tell them all will get better ...

They also find that a random act can be a good thing
multitaskingmomma

This is a different read for me when it comes to Mia Kerick. Instead of a Young Adult book with coming out issues having to be dealt with, we have to men who are out to society. They face their own dramas in life. The romance that developed between them was difficult, but through maturity and perseverance from both meant a lifetime of happiness - not rosy - but real.

Check out the Original Post, enjoy the rest of the review and join the giveaway!: Blog Tour, eARC Review, #Giveaway: Random Acts by
Amanda
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What started out as, and what I thought would be your typical love at first sight fairy tale, turned into something so much more profound. What happens when the fairy tale turns into a nightmare? What happens to new love when it's bounds are really tested? I absolutely loved this story and the way the many problems were handled. Not with a shake of the wand, but with patience, love and setbacks that were overcome. Definitely goes on my favorites list.
Mandy Ryder
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another 'must-read' by this intuitive and insightful author. This story shows where the smallest of random acts can lead. It also shows how a strong and sorted person can have weaknesses far beyond their own control. A very mixed bag of emotions come along with this story. Extremely well written and touching.
Sylvia
Dec 11, 2015 rated it liked it

I enjoyed reading the first half of this story but after that ugh I was so frustrated!
Caroline Brand
REVIEWED FOR PRISM BOOK ALLIANCE

This book has a little bit of everything in it and is almost like two different stories that meet in the middle and give Bradley and Caleb their happy ending.

Bradley is a man with very little self esteem and finds it extremely hard to believe he is worthy of anything good happening in his life. He is a bit of a womaniser but gains no satisfaction in that area of his life either. He jumps from one bed to another but avoids commitment of any kind.

After another unsat
Carly
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
RANDOM ACTS is an dramatic tale that focuses on how unpredictable life can be. By contrasting the darkness of violence, hate and loss with the light of selflessness, healing and love, Mia Kerick paints a stunningly honest portrait of humanity.

Each painful development that Bradley and Caleb face forces them to choose if they will give in to the weight of their burdens or find the strength to rise above. While the blessings in life do not always seem to balance the negativity, choosing to focus on
Lisa
Oct 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I am a bit indecisive about how to review this book. I was engaged and the story held my attention, but there was just a few niggles that kept me from falling all the way into it.

Bradley's low self esteem was quite heartbreaking, especially as he had a very warm and supportive family. I struggled a little with Caleb as he sounded like a stuffed shirt at the start and it wasn't till the incident half way through that he started to become a bit more real. What I think started off as a light "oppo
Candice
I have mixed feelings about this book. I don't really know how to explain it. While overall the story was a slow romance to start, getting to know each other and everything, the light heartedness of the story changed halfway through and while it was still a good story, I didn't like the direction the story took. The mystery part seemed to thrown in to add angst to the story and really wasn't needed. My main issue for me with this story was the way that they talked to each other and detracted fro ...more
Cintia-Jenny
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
The book was practically all fluff. Nothing much happens, I felt like the protagonists met and it was all rainbows and sunshine until one unfortunate event that takes place close to the end of the book. After that they have a couple of bad weeks, but they get through it pretty quickly.

I'm not saying I didn't like it, I did like it, it was an okay book, but I enjoy my stories with a little more of drama and angst if they are romances.

Here, I was feeling that there wasn't conflict it was all the
Andrea
Oct 22, 2014 rated it liked it
3.25

I loved the goofy romance which began between Brad and Caleb. I read the reviews before starting this book so I was prepared for the "bad thing" to happen at the halfway mark. I thought it worked really well to bring out another side of Brad and Caleb's personalities. I wish they had clued in a little earlier to root of the problem in their lives. I was a little put off when they didn't figure it out on their own, because it was really freaking obvious.
Dutchgirl
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this story very much. It starts of as a easy to read romantic story but in the middle of the story something happens (i won't tell you what because that would be a spoiler) and the story becomes more emotional. The ending was abrupt and i would have loved a epilogue so we would have known what happens in the future.

Overall a very good read.
Chutchy
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed it.
Two very different men, from very different backgrounds, came together and helped each other. Each had their own strengths and combined, a formidable pair. I had debated back and forth about reading this, but Im glad I did.
Suzy
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book, my only complaint is that it seemed to end rather abruptly.
Dreamspinner Press: Random Acts by Mia Kerick 1 5 Oct 26, 2014 03:13AM

• How to Run with the Wolves (Howl at the Moon #5)
  • The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • Witch Eyes (Witch Eyes, #1)
  • The Best of All Possible Worlds
  • Fan Art
  • New Worlds, Old Ways: Speculative Tales from the Caribbean
  • Shadow Walkers
  • Hero
  • Prince of Air and Darkness (The Darkest Court, #1)
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic #1)
  • The Bargain (Regency #1)
  • Deal Maker (Mixed Messages, #2)

Mia Kerick is the mother of four exceptional children—one in law school, another at a dance conservatory, a third studying at Mia’s alma mater, Boston College, and her lone son still in high school. She has published more than twenty books of LGBTQ romance when not editing National Honor Society essays, offering opinions on college and law school applications, helping to create dance bios, and rev