Start by marking “Out in the Open (Browerton University, #1)” as Want to Read:
Out in the Open (Browerton University, #1)

Out in the Open

(Browerton University #1)

Libraries are meant for studying – not sex

College sophomore Ethan Follett never says what’s on his mind and never wants to rock the boat. After a high school social life spent anonymous and alone, things are finally falling into place for him. He’s found a group of friends just as studious as he, and is on track for a promising legal career. Out in the open, things couldn’
Published September 30th 2014 (first published September 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Out in the Open, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out in the Open

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
4.5 SEXY, SWEET & FUNNY STARS

New author? I KNOW. It's always such a risk, but I'm vouching for this one. A.J. Truman is a pro. Out in the Open is well written with easy prose and good pacing. It kept me reading. And smiling.

Starting college means starting over. You have a chance to become someone else, or maybe just a new-and-improved version of you. The problem is that Ethan doesn't know who he is. Even as a sophomore, he doesn't really fit in. He dares not rock the boat. He's a bit dull a
☆ Todd
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

In my opinion, this story captures the very essence of college being the place where you finally spread your wings and grow into (at least the beginnings) of the person that you will eventually become. I had so many flashbacks to my own college days, it was sort of scary.

I felt an immediate connection with both Ethan and Greg, as I was sort of an amalgam of the two characters combined during my collegiate years.

I was more Ethan as a Freshman & Sophomore, being quiet and studious, longing fo
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4--Dirty Secret--Stars!!!

“Are you going to keep me your dirty little secret forever?”

Ethan is a sophomore in college. He's never had a lot of friends. He's gay. He's been described as bland and repressed. But Ethan doesn't want to be. He wants to be fun and free.

Oh Ethan...

I just wanted to hug Ethan! Bless his poor awkward self.

The book is told from Ethan's POV so you really see his character grow throughout the book.

Ethan meets Greg in his Con Law class. Greg is known as a fraternislut.
Nazanin
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, m-m
3 Stars

Well, the plot was something I read so many times and I confess I had read better than this one. Greg was closeted but he had too much confidence for someone who wasn’t out and it was like he had more experience than Ethan (who was out). That enemies-with-benefits that is mentioned in the blurb? Well, with-benefits was correct but they weren’t really enemies! I didn’t like both characters, Ethan because of his insecurities and Greg, well because of the way he treated Ethan. Told in single
✦❋Arianna✦❋
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
description

Ethan is a sophomore in college. He’s openly gay, but he’s single. He has a group of friends, but he wants more - to be with somebody, to have a significant other.

In his Con Law class, Ethan meets Greg. Greg is in a fraternity, he is a manwhore reputation and he is straight. At least everybody thinks he is. Greg is in the closet, trying to please his father being a law student, even if he wants to teach children with special needs.

Greg is annoying and irritating at first, so their relationship
* A Reader Obsessed *
Apparently I'm in the minority here.

Let me say first that I do like me a college fic since it is ripe with opportunity for discovering new things and people, as well as a stepping stone in starting an exciting future as an adult. Reserved Ethan wants to do just that. However he's restricted by his own insecurities and can't seem to get out of his comfort zone. That is, until he meets Greg who pushes all of his buttons - both good and bad.

Things progress quickly. What starts off as fun and excit
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews

I enjoyed this one a lot more than I expected to before I picked it up and at the start of the story. It wasn't filled with too much sex and it wasn't cheesy. Watching Ethan come out of his shell and look outside preconceived stereotypes was the best part.
aksana  -  4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42 -

4 Stars

Ethan is a very shy and awkward guy. His social life in high school was..well nonexistent. Because..

But now he is in college and he has even a circle of friends. Even though they are kind of boring and like to do

Ethan still enjoys their company.

Ethan has a clear goal. First gay supreme court justice. And he is willing to work hard for that.
Unfortunately his seat mate in Constitutional Law class Greg has other plans. Like distracting him and giving Ethan a hard time.
Greg seems to be the
.Lili.
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
 photo 09f7cf18-f922-49fe-adb3-dc31e42424f5_zps00df709d.jpg

Out in the Open by AJ Truman was quite the surprise for me. I'd been on a terrible book funk and decided to try my luck with this one. New author = could go either way. So glad I took the chance. This is story of shy Ethan Follett and fratboy Greg Sanderson.

Ethan... I so related to his character. I thought the author did an excellent job with him. Being in his head was sweet and painful. I just wanted to hug him and tell him it would all be ok.

It was such a pleasure to read his character growth
chan ☆
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbtq, 2018, new-adult, m-m
every so often a book comes along with characters flatter than the pages they're written on

don't get me wrong, this wasn't the worst book i've ever read. i can guiltily confirm that it was hard to put down. but the POTENTIAL was there, just so so unfulfilled.

i really appreciated the setting and the struggles ethan goes through. i think college can be a difficult and confusing place, and friendships and relationships are certainly hard to navigate. but it didn't really help the fact that he was j
Sabrina
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 ⭐

“And Greg’s amazing ass got in the way.
Amazing ass. Awful person attached.”

A fun, cute romance.
I adore the friendships.
I loved all of the characters, except one, that I completely hated at the end of the book.

“He wanted to be like us,” Ethan said.
“Too bad. There’s only one us, and it’s us.”

Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4 Stars***

Read this bad boy in one sitting!

Told entirely from Ethan's POV, we get the story of a college sophomore figuring everything out. Young Ethan is stuck in his head too much. He blends in so much that he's become virtually invisible. A great conversationalist in his mind, but somehow there's a barrier between his brain and his mouth.

All that changes when he meets Greg in one of his law classes. Greg is a sexy, carefree, frat boy with a smirk that makes Ethan dizzy with lust (and als
Eugenia
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-adult, gfy-ofy, mm
Flirty and Sexy!

....3.5 Stars.......... I had a lot of fun reading this OFY university romance. The MCs were pretty adorable and felt real, like looking at someone without their make-up on. They were refreshing and far from perfect, but they worked.

A shy, gay student with a distaste for “fraternisluts” (author’s word, not mine) hooks up with a hot, closeted frat boy for sex in public places. They are both each other’s “dirty little secret.”

The two were very different from each other, but togeth
Adam

It's probably closer to 3 stars, but I'm rounding up for the hella hot sex.

I was all over the set-up. Not only is this an opposites-attract romance, but there's also a bit of enemies-to-lovers in there. Their sparring and jabs at each other were hilarious.

Plus, these two were smoking hot in the - well not the bedroom, but in the library, the theatre, the office, and wherever else they could manage to get some.

However, Greg and Ethan are lacking in the communication department. They work
books_and_brew
It's late and I just finished this! First book this month I have finished in a day :)

Out In The Open was cute and made me smile. Ethan had a typical college naivety about him that is probably true for most - so when I wanted to roll my eyes at his lack of knowledge, I tried to remember my own naivety in college and empathized with him instead.

Greg was a closeted frat, so I'm sure you can guess how the story went. Even though it was predictable, it was cute.

On to the next!
c,
Are you going to keep me your dirty little secret forever?

Rep: gay mcs

This book was hilarious. Unfortunately, I don't think it was intended to be quite so funny.

First, there were a number of things I didn't really like about this book. From the off, Ethan's friends are painted as those pretentious arty types who look down on those people who 1) play sports, 2) enjoy sports, and 3) party a lot. Yay. Ethan you can do better than these people (especially since they don't change their opinion as t
Pixie
Heather C
When the request came in for me to review this book, I immediately said “no way”. For one, it is contemporary and let’s just say that contemporary romance hasn’t been my thing for over a year. Second, it’s self-published by a brand new author. Yikes!! Now, I know there are many readers out there who love to give new, undiscovered authors a try, I’m just not one of them. Oh, I’ve chanced it many times and can honestly say that’ve I’ve found some great ones. Out in the Open just happens to be one ...more
Wendy
This was a very nice story about two college boys getting it on, all over campus.

Ethan is kind of akward, shy, geeky and openly gay. I really loved him...he was so sweet.I just wanted to hug him and his akward self. He didn't want to be shy and boring. He wanted to let go a little, he just didn't know how.

Greg is the popular fraternity guy. He's known as ladies man.

The two meet in some important law class (having to sit next to each other), and they really don't hit it off.

A tiny incident in t
Susan
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
Well, this was quite awful.

Ethan is a shy, somewhat stiff guy just starting college. He has made some friends, but now he wants a boyfriend too. He just has no idea how to achieve that. Especially since everyone seems to tell him to lighten up and no one seems to really like him.

He’s also not happy with the guy sitting next to him in one of his favorite classes. Greg is the exact opposite of Ethan. He is a big muscled jock, who doesn’t seem to care about getting good grades.

When Ethan accidenta
Meags
3 Stars

It seems I have a real affinity for these m/m college tales. I really enjoyed following Ethan in his journey of self-discovery. However, I wasn't all that fond of Greg (Ethan's love interest).

I'm looking forward to reading more from this author!

YEAH, RAINBOW!!
Sara
I have fallen in love, so in love with these boys. I am normally cautious of grabbing a book by new authors. – not that I don’t love finding new authors but there is this bit of anxiety of “will I like it?” and the whole stepping out of my comfort zone deal. Well, thank goodness I stepped out of mine and met Ethan and Greg, who also do a bit of stepping out of their comfort zones. Would you look at that? It’s like a match made in heaven, or at least a few minutes of heaven. Okay, bad puns over.

I
diannarhys
Mar 11, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: m-m-romance
I think I'll spend a whole month on just reading m/m romances, just don't know when.

This sounds so promising too.
Donna
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, ya
Good story and I loved the characters.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
4.5★’s - I really loved this. I think it was the perfect book for me at the perfect time. It was completely believable watching these two boys grow and discover who they are, what they want, what they need and gaining the strength to go get it. This was funny, hot, romantic and very sweet. It just made me smile, a lot.

Read.

Justin
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it

When the request for this book came in I wanted so badly to jump on it. This book sounded really good based on the blurb. It also sounded like my type of romance. I held off though because I usually choke and develop writer's block when I have to write a review, even if it's for a book I love. But the day this went on sale I snatched it up. Boy, am I glad I did.

This is a play on the jock & geek trope. This new author, A.J. Truman, put a slightly different spin on it and I think he
Tess
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: college

This was a slightly different take on the geek and the "straight" frat boy trope and it worked well for me. I loved the spark of Ethan and Greg's initial interactions. What I really enjoyed, though, was seeing a character like Ethan. I gotta say I really "got" him and his feeling like an outsider a lot of the time. I was just about as happy about seeing him come into his own as I was about the HEA.
haletostilinski

This was, overall, an enjoyable read. I enjoyed Ethan and Greg, although Greg was fairly stereotypical/predictable for most of this. He had his moments, but for the most part he was the closeted frat boy/jock with parents with too high expectations and internalized homophobia that made him scared to come out and thus treated Ethan like shit at times. Not a whole lot of variation on that type of storyline. He made it up to Ethan though and they did have their moments and there are severa
The Backlot Gay B...: Out in the Open, by A.J. Truman 1 13 Jan 31, 2017 03:51AM

• Moment of Impact (Moments In Time, #1)
  • Unwrapping Hank (Unwrapping Hank, #1)
  • Not Just Friends
  • Kieran & Drew
  • College Boys (Men of Holsum College, #1)
  • My Mate Jack (Heated Beat #1)
  • Diary of a Teenage Taxidermist
  • Liam Davis & The Raven
  • The Frat Brat
  • Brandon Mills versus the V-Card (Prescott College, #2)
  • If Only in My Dreams
  • Straight Shooter (Rear Entrance Video, #3)
  • Stuck on You
  • Man of the Match
  • After School Activities
  • Winging It
  • Campus Visit
  • Pictures of You  (‘90s Coming of Age, #1)
A.J. Truman remembers his college days like it was yesterday, even though it was definitely not yesterday. He writes books with humor, heart, and hot guys. What else does a story need? He loves spending time with his pets and his partner and writing on his sun porch. You can find him on Facebook or email him at info [at] ajtruman [dot] com

Join The Outsiders and be the first to hear about upcoming

Browerton University (6 books)
  • Out on a Limb (Browerton University, #2)
  • Out of My Mind (Browerton University, #3)
  • Out for the Night (Browerton University, #4)
  • Out of this World (Browerton University #5)
  • Outside Looking In (Browerton University #6)
“When you care about someone so much, they can make the world around you disappear. Everyone” 0 likes