Start by marking “Horrid High (Horrid High, #1)” as Want to Read:
Horrid High (Horrid High, #1)

Read Excerpt

Horrid High

(Horrid High #1)

From the winner of the Crossword Book Award 2013 for Children's Writing

A riotous, rambunctious adventure in the world's most horrid school!

If eleven-year-old Ferg Gottin had been bought from a store, his parents would have returned him and demanded a refund. For Mr. and Mrs. Gottin, parenting is an experiment gone badly wrong. So they look for a school where you can dump y
Published 2014 by Puffin

To ask other readers questions about Horrid High, please sign up.

Payal
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is completely horrid! Loved it. :)

EDIT: Thought I should explain why I didn't give it 5 stars. Even though I was bowled over by the immense horridness of the book, the plot wasn't that convincing. Still not quite sure what the Grand Plan was and why it was so important. However, it was still fun enough to gloss over this little detail.
Andrea Quadros
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Horrid High undoubtedly makes a direct connection with its young audience. Right from the beginning, you develop an emotional empathy for the protagonist (Ferg) as his parents are introduced the most selfish parents for whom Ferg turns out to be just an accident. The book also very well defines how a poor 11 year old kid with a routine of negligence gets adapted to various ruthless consequences. The book certainly reflects, what seems to be a happy experience, instead is encountered as an area o ...more
Azmin Mistry
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every human being
Recommended to Azmin by: The author herself
If you haven't read it, it is your loss!
'Horrid High' is a juicy paper back that has been written with such prowess and expertise for it allows you to feast on a banquet of conceptual excellence that one can only savour delightfully and I assure you, you won't burp for you will still be craving for more, despite a good fill.

Payal has succeeded in effectively conveying the 'horrid' in order to bring out the innate evil that every human being sadistically possesses but often suppresses. By exagge
Vini Shree
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had picked up Horrid High on a whim, and I so don't regret it. Payal Kapadia draws you into a world so peculiar and yet so interesting. Her characters are wonderful and quirky, the language fluid, and the story fun. There is something fuzzy and warm about the book which strikes a chord somewhere in your heart.

What is one thing that will remain with you is her wordplay, especially in the choice of character names. Recommended to the young, and the young at heart. Enjoyed reading it.
Meher Marfatia
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“Move over Mallory Towers. Horrid High is here. In her book breathing fresh puffs of air into the musty, neglected world of Indian school story writing, Payal Kapadia is in sparkling form. She has created a tale
brimming with cleverly christened characters roiled in some unforgettable situations. Much fun and many foibles unfold in this lovely dance of a book. Children and adults alike, we want the adventure never to end!”

Sarvasv Barara
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the most wonderfully horrid book ever to be created . It is a treat for the eyes and the mind . Payal Kapadia is a very entertaining and imaginative writer . This is a perfect book . It has got everything in it . Funny parts , scary parts , horrid parts , parts where you can feel victory , parts where you can feel losses ........ She has not left the suspense all through out the whole book .
Adrian Jay
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A clever tale of how lovely children outsmart their horrible parents! A must read for all ages.
Krina Satra (BooksAndBookmarks)
This book was horridly good in its own way. Ferg, the main protagonist is a child who has been neglected all his life by his parents. They find a horrid school which assures them that they would no longer have to worry about their kid and can blissfully forget about him. The school itself had food which wasn't actually food, no beds and the teachers all obviously horrid, hell bent on making the kids lives miserable.
Even though its absolutely unbelievable, the writing and the descriptions made it
Srividya Ganapathy
Good fun reading this book.
Urvi
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I like Granny Grit quite a lot.
Anusha Parthasarathy
Funny, simple but reminds me way too much of a Dahl classic - Matilda.
Sriram Kanakam
Apr 28, 2018
Ashley Harris
Oct 21, 2015
Nerin Hassan
I love this book as I am a 12 years old child.It is full of thrill how they change horridness into a happiness but the grand plan is being missed.I think in horrid high back to school it will be there.I am going to buy back to school through online I am waiting for it to come.
Radiat
Priyanka
Sep 29, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: New series.... 3 15 Feb 14, 2015 05:51AM
Payal Kapadia’s “Wisha Wozzariter” won the Crossword Book Award 2013 for Best Children’s Book and is also on the “101 Indian Children’s Books We Love!” list. She is also the author of “Colonel Hathi Loses His Brigade” and “Puffin Lives: B.R. Ambedkar.”

Payal started her career as a journalist with Outlook Magazine in Mumbai and The Japan Times in Tokyo, after receiving a Master’s degree from North

Horrid High (2 books)