Start by marking “Bodies” as Want to Read:
Bodies

Bodies

(Bodies #1-8)

VERTIGO brings you a graphic novel with four detectives, four time periods, and four dead bodies - all set in London. Edmond Hillinghead is an 1890s overachiever who's trying to solve a murder no one cares about while hiding his own secret. Karl Whiteman is our dashing 1940s adventurer with a shocking past. Shahara Hasan is 2014's kickass female Detective Sergeant, who wal ...more
Published June 16th 2015 by Vertigo (first published June 2nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Bodies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bodies

Sam Quixote
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-comics-2015
Four detectives, four different eras, one murder victim, same MO, same location - appearing to each detective. Who killed John Bull?

Bodies is a very tricky murder mystery to unpack and puzzle out but I will say it’s the first Vertigo book in some years that I really enjoyed. That comes with some caveats but, all said and done, it’s a fine comic.

The story is divided into four different storylines each drawn by a different artist: Edmond Hillinghead is a closeted detective in 1890, drawn by Dean
Sesana
(Received from Netgalley for review.)

I admit to not knowing the first thing about this book before I requested it from Netgalley. But I was intrigued by the cover, with its blood-spattered pinup, and the idea of a murder mystery spanning over a century was right up my alley. And it all starts very strongly. The individual detectives are all quite distinctive from each other. And though I didn't particularly like two of the four (the 40s detective on the make and the futuristic amnesiac) I quite
David Schaafsma
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-crime
A very ambitious book with a sort of patriotic message for and about Olde England (and the wider world): Stay tolerant and as you always have been--richly multicultural. That part of it is a tad preachy, though it's a message of tolerance I happen to agree with, in the debate about immigration everywhere.

There's no sense trying to do a proper review as thorough and insightful as Sam Quixote's, so read that, I'd say. I learned a lot, as usual, from him.

The basic idea is that a murder happens in
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Apr 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2015
DNF! Din't like the art, dind't like the story. Well, I liked the part from 2014, but the rest was frankly just boring and the art made my head hurt! Damn you nice cover!

star

I received this copy from Vertigo through Edewleiss in return for an honest review!
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

Received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

First I need to point out this groovy cover - great right? Draws the eye, it's pin-up, pulp, fun, and blood splattered.

It's hard to describe the plot well since it's too confusing for my simple brain; plus this is catered more for the British audience. I think they'll get the cultural identity conflicts and connections stronger than I can.

Basically the collection (8 series joined together in one edition) jumps frequently between four diffe
Christopher
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing

This may be the one that breaks me of looking at GR ratings. Yes, I realize I should have been ignoring them all along in favor of reviews, but it's hard! Reviews on this book are all "I don't understand! (1 star)" "I was confused! (2 stars)" "I was expecting something simplistic because comic book how dare this be moderately complex! whaa!"

Ok, maybe that last one is unfair, but I really don't feel that these comics are worthy of those ratings. Sam's review nails this one, though I like
Liz Janet
Mar 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
description

I've never been more scared about the phrase : Know You're Loved, in my life.
This is a story to leave you feeling sick and icky everywhere. Whenever I read an issue, I felt disgust over something, whether it was the sex, or the racism, or the repetitive phrase that took forever for me to figure out. Hence, go into this story knowing this will not be a pleasant journey.

description

The story follows four detectives, Edmond Hillinghead, working after the times of Jack the Ripper; Karl Whiteman, a very corru
Cora Tea Party Princess
May 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF page 37.

This just wasn't doing it for me. It was a great idea, but it felt like it was trying far too hard to be quirky and different, and it just ended up being a chore to even read a page (never mind a character/era).

I received a copy of this for free via NetGalley for review purposes.
Yasha
May 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
I wish I could unread it.
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I requested this graphic novel because of the awesome cover. Then came in all the one star reviews from my friends and I started to get afraid of starting it.

Four detectives, four time periods, four completely different styles, one body.

It's always a tricky thing to pull off multiple timelines with different styles in one and the same story. In this case it didn't really work. The only two stories that could hold some of my interest wer
Marti Dolata
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-f, graphic-novel
Rating system, 5-superior, 4-really enjoyed, 3-OK, 2-waste of time, 1-waste of paper.
An ambitious plot that suffers from the kitchen sink school of writing. The author tried too hard to make this shocking, and the basic story suffered from all the add ons to make this noir attitude. Mutilated bodies with four different detectives in four different time steams isn't enough, let's throw in jack the ripper, pedophillia, orgies, blood drinking, gratuitous torture, etc etc. He would have done better
Sleeping with Ghosts
What that hell of deception! The cover cheating on you if you think the story is about of the years of the drawing. How wrong I was! It's about many stories from four timelines: London, 1890 (Jack, The Ripper storyline), London, 1940 (gangster), London, 2014 (Etnian and multicultural problem) and London 2050, (a distopic future). All around about the founding of a death body in every year.
Didn't like the characters, didn't like the story, didn't like it. I just wanted more or another story behi
Pamela
May 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
I found this ARC lurking in the depths of my Adobe Reader. If Adobe Digital Reader has depths, that is. I kept meaning to review it, but immediately after I read it I was simply so confused that words didn't seem to work properly. I wish I'd made more notes in my ARC because this is just straight-up bizarre, when all I really wanted was a quirky, intelligent take on murder mysteries.

The premise of Bodies is pretty solid: four murders, four time periods. All of them occur in London. All related.

I
Rob Slaven
May 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received this book free for review from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Despite the privilege of receiving a free book, I’m absolutely candid about it below because I believe authors and readers will benefit most from honest reviews rather than vacuous 5-star reviews.

This graphic novel is a multi-threaded time travel murder mystery of sorts. It has many mythological aspects and delves into the ideas of secret societies, ancient texts and even manages to rope in bog bodies. The narr
Althea J.
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I really, really, really want to discuss this book with someone who has read it.

The premise is phenomenal. The 4 time periods, brilliantly depicted by 4 different artists, giving each period its own distinct look and feel. Each artist does a tremendous job of bringing their time period to life. I was initially attracted to this book because of my interest in Tula Lotay's art, and was happy to see the contrasts and strengths of the other artists as well.

But it's the story I want to discuss with s
Artemy
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-vertigo, comics
Great book. Please, don't look at the GR rating, it is bullshit. This story is good.

At its core, it is a story about love and compassion, and about (author's) patriotism and love for England.
It has a great and intriguing concept, solid writing, beautiful artist collaboration (four different artists drawing each their separate story from different time periods in London: 1890, 1940, 2014-15 and some weird future), each artist doing great job. But most of all this story has heart.

Yes, there are so
তানজীম Rahman)
This is one of those stories where the mystery was much more interesting than the answers.
47Time
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-fiction
The story is quite convoluted, but there is a clear maturity to it. It jumps between points in time that have no real connection, so you are effectively reading four wildly different stories featuring original characters in believable settings, each drawn in its own style. Bottom line is that the story is good, but you have to be a fan of this particular niche of supernatural. I'm sure it can be argued that the flow of the story could have been handled differently to make it more accessible for ...more
Joanne Sheppard
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Right, first of all, I don't recall ever having read a graphic novel before and know almost nothing about the form, so forgive me if I review Si Spencer's Bodies (originally released in eight episodes but now brought together in a single volume) in completely the wrong way: the last book I read that had speech bubbles was probably a Monster Fun annual so essentially I have no other graphic novels as a reference point.

Anyway. The initial set-up of Bodies is an absolute belter: there are four dete
Anna
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
After picking this up due to a compelling blurb on the cover (and the cover art itself), I was pretty disappointed with the actual story. Maybe that's not entirely fair... The story was a good one, and I was anxious to get to the end to see the mystery unravel, but that's where it failed for me. The ending just didn't land solidly and seemed both a bit tossed together and heavy handed at the same time.
Shelly
Aug 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Ostensibly a mystery, this story covers four time periods: 1890, 1940, 2014, and 2050, with each time period illustrated by a different artist, which helps the reader keep track. Detectives in each era discover a body of a naked man curled in the same position in the same alleyway in London. Each detective has a secret except for DS Hasan in 2014 who is dealing with being a female Muslim police detective at a time when Muslims come under suspicion. How these cases are connected forms the heart o ...more
Tyler Case
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
IGNORE ANY REVIEW FROM SOMEONE WHO DID NOT FINISH THIS BOOK! Bodies is a wonderful graphic novel, deep with imagery and symbolism. At the beginning, it seems confusing, and it is. The further one gets, the more the story unfolds, up to the last page.

This is not a superhero story. This is not about the battle between good and evil. This is a mystical murder mystery. And,again, it keeps you asking questions until the last page.
Craig
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Bleah. That's about the extent of it. This started off interesting enough, with four different detectives in four different time periods, all investigating a dead body in a version of London. However, this did not proceed in a fashion that clarified or made sense of anything in this story. The best thing about it was the 2014 storyline, with a Muslim policewoman working amid the suspicion of her co-workers. Ultimately, though, what the heck did it all mean? Very little, methinks.
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, ggn16
Had to read it twice to make sure I understood what happened, and I still think I'm missing something but I'm quite sure that is intentional on the part of the writer. In the end I really like the message.
amelie
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
i loved the illustrations
Josh
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
The concept was much better than the execution...
Tony
I was intrigued by the basic outline of this series -- four detectives in four different timelines all investigating the same murder (ie, the same body with the same wounds discovered in the same part of London's East End). The four settings (1890, 1940, 2014, 2050) are each rendered by different artists with distinctively different styles, but in each case, the detective is an outsider.

The punctilious young detective of 1890 is a homosexual, the corrupt detective of 1940 is a Jewish Polish ref
Shazia
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I feel like even giving this 2 stars is kind of generous. The description of this graphic novel is super intriguing - four murders that take place across four time periods being solved by four detectives that are all somehow connected. Unfortunately the murders/connection between these instances were just really confusing. I read on and finished Bodies not because I wanted to solve the mystery but because I just wanted the confusion to end. (It didn't).

One thing I really enjoyed is that each era
Amber
I'm not quite I understand everything; my mind is still reeling. But the message in this book is big, it's important...it's definitely about acceptance. This was really deep. Not at all what I expected going in.
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
A bit convoluted, but really enjoyed the different styles of illustration and story (once I’d got my head round it)
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Names
  • Lovers' Lane: the Hall-Mills Mystery (A Treasury of XXth Century Murder)
  • Vertigo Quarterly CMYK
  • Black Canary and Zatanna: Bloodspell
  • Effigy, Vol. 1: Idle Worship
  • Coyotes, Vol. 1
  • Blue Monday Vol. 1: The Kids Are Alright
  • Le Portrait de Petite Cossette 1 (Le Portrait de Petite Cossette, #1)
  • Fell
  • Echoes Vol. 1
  • Wonder Woman by Greg Rucka, Vol. 2
  • Mush!: Sled Dogs with Issues
  • Ruse, Vol. 2: The Silent Partner
British Writer and editor for both comics and television. Best known in the US for his work at DC/Vertigo.