Start by marking “Emily (Come-By-Chance Mail Order Brides #2)” as Want to Read:
Emily (Come-By-Chance Mail Order Brides #2)

Emily

(Come By Chance Mail Order Brides #2)

It's 1884, and love is in the air in the town of Come-By-Chance!

In this much-loved series strong women risk everything to rise above their desperate circumstances, find true love, and wed real men who'll treat them right.

Meet Emily - She's lost her Pa, can't find a job and her money's almost all gone.

After witnessing a man being strangled, the strangler gives chase, and Em
Published August 28th 2014 by Squeaky Clean Western Romance

To ask other readers questions about Emily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emily

Vickie M. Neely
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Poorly written

I usually love mail order bride westerns, but this was poorly written. The language and storyline were both too simplistic for my taste . I am glad it was free and I did not pay money for it.
Phyllis
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm sorry to say that I couldn't get very far in this book. The dialog was just too immature and I wasn't drawn into the story at all. I know others really liked it, as evidenced by the overall rating, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Maggie Shanley
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a quick, Western romance about a mail-order bride and a small town boy in Montana. I felt like there was too much ignorance in the story and the characters actions to really like this one.
Charissa
Nov 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Crazy, intense story. I thought it would be just a normal mail order bride story of coming to the west, finding the husband she wrote to, and boom—romance blossoms. But no, there is some nasty business going on in the town of Come-by-Chance, Montana. When Emily escapes Chicago after witnessing a murder, she thinks nothing worse can happen. She is sooooo wrong. I won’t be a spoil-sport, but just know, nothing is as it seems…and keeping secrets is never a good option. But to an innocent girl fresh ...more
Bethany Swafford
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
The plot would have been interesting IF it had been developed more (like an actual novel instead of a novella) or if the focus had been more on Emily and the man she ends up marrying. As it is, the narrative jumps from person to person so fast you don't ever really get to know Emily. In fact, it took half the book before I finally got that Ben wasn't the hero of the story but a lot of the story is about him.

I am not inclined to continue with the series or even go back to read the first one.
Rebekah Tooley
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
The only reason I even gave this book 2 stars was because it had a good plot. I found this book in the religious section but I could count the numbers of times on 1 hand how many times it even made a REFERENCE to God. And that's all it did -- make references. No more than 2-3 might I add. I felt that if it was a 'Christian' book there should certainly be no swearing, but, there were 2 swear words in this book. I wasn't very pleased with the 2 slang words in the book either, but I know devoted Ch ...more
Deborah Andreasen
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Short and a little more sweet than the first book in the series. There are still some semi-graphic parts (this time not including harming a woman). Still felt a little abrupt. It was nice reading more about some of the other characters, and I am interested in how things will all wrap together in the end.
Beth
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Emily and Toby's story. A quick short story. They are pretty simple, but I just want to find out what happens to Slim Jim.
Cheryl Cowtan
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
At first glance, especially at the cover, and in the second and third chapters, you might think this is a light read. And it is a gently delivered plot, because of the author's style (authorial telling). However, as you read further you will be surprised to discover, just as I was, a dark undercurrent running through the mail-order-bride plot.

I should not have been surprised, because in the beginning of this novel, the author started out with a promise of male brutality. The main character, Emi
 Gigi Ann
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's 1884, and love is still in the air in Come-By-Chance.

After witnessing a man being strangled, the strangler gives chase, and Emily ends up on a train headed for who knows where!

She travels along with Emmy-Lou, who is running away to become a mail order bride. When Emmy-Lou's rich Aunt intercepts her along the way, they come up with a plan for the girls to switch places, and for Emily to marry the rich, handsome
Saarah Niña
Apr 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute, and sweet.

This book began differently than most of this kind...it emphasised fate's and God's role in bringing two people together, in spite of a series of mishaps and consequential plots. The couple Toby and Emily fitted together well- a sweet couple united by love at first sight. Their love blossomed quickly, and I can't fault the story telling- I have no experience of love at first sight nor of its impact.

Though, I couldn't stand the fact that Slim Jim-the conspiring, manipulative vill
Carol Mcgrath
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very nice story

Emily witnessed a murder and ran away from the man following her. She ended up on a train to Montana where she met another Emily who told her she was going to Montana to get married. They ended up trading places and Emily, who witnessed the murder, went onto Montana. Strange things happened when she got off the train. Of course Slim Jim met the train but his wife Lettie and Toby and Ben weren't too far behind. What happens when Emily sees Toby it's love at first sight for both o
Cindy Caron
Oct 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Short and sweet, this book is an easy read. I think the author has given this book some great bones, but it lacks a bit of substance. Perhaps it should have been more of a full length novel instead of a novella, but I did enjoy the story. There were a few times it felt like I was reading the work of a young teen, but I think that was the style the author was going for, as the heroine is not very old, nor is she "worldly" in her experience. I love the mail order bride era, and the fact that this ...more
Cayla
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
While the plot itself was a good one, I feel that the writing development is a little on the immature side. I noticed that some portions of the book held more promise than others. It's hard to like a book and keep going when the book gives you that feeling of the tide: going in and out. Weak, building up, then goes back down. There IS potential, but it needs work.

The characters are okay, but I'm sure that with stronger development, they would be dynamite.

Like I said, there is potential! I'm jus
Charlotte
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Come-by-Chance Mail Order Brides series, a series of books I grew to love right from the start. This is a simple but sweet story that moves quickly through the plot and is a fast, but very enjoyable read. The formula for Emily is similar to the formula for Ruby (the first book in the series), but the details are different enough to keep the reader interested in how the story will turn out. Although each story in the series does stand alone, the characters carry ove ...more
Gayle Francis Moffet
A charmer like the first one, with just enough changes and just enough overall plot movement (the baddie is still plotting) to keep it interesting. There's some violence (a near-attack on a woman similar to the first book, a fistfight, and then a gunfight), but it works in the plot. There's also numerous mentions of church and god, but like the first book, it feels very much a part of the people and town who are doing these things, and it's still NOT a Christian romance. Prayer isn't magically s ...more
Debbie West
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the story but not the author's imitation of country folk writing. While I understood her meaning, her symantics were a joke and not reflective of a good author.. She could have had the characters speak in the backyard country way if she preferred, but her own descriptions and narrative should have been reflective of herself as an author. But this was a free eBook and I very much enjoyed seeing Emily find a happily ever after husband. I would have liked to have read Book 1 first and wou ...more
Amber Frechette
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lovely Blossomed Love

While May be read standalone, it's an even better read after reading the previous story, Ruby. This story though has tons of excitement and in the end leaves you with good feelings and a wish to read more. The ever hungry Toby and Emily find each other by chance of a letter and a murderous situation. While some secrets have yet to be determined, their love story is one to fill any lonely heart. Juliet James did a wonderful job once again and I look forward to reading more!
Caprice
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
A sweet, funny romance

I am really enjoying these stories of mail order brides. They are written very simply, but don't be fooled. The language is engaging, and if you like to read stories that have humor, love and also a villain, you will like these. I usually don't bother with books this short, but I'm glad I chose the first two books in this series. I was fortunate enough to get these free.
Kay Smith
Mar 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: i-give-up
Nope! Can't do it. A quarter of the way through and life's too short for poorly written novels. Honestly I don't even think Juliet James tried! 15 pages in and you're 5 chapters down? And come on; chapter 23 by page 70?! You're out of your mind lady. It's a badly written short story that's been dragged out in lieu of craftsmanship.

I know it might be free or cheap: but this is one little booklet is not worth the paper/time it takes to download.
Victoria Leo
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Part of a series

Excellent plotting. The characters are fleshed out enough and the romance is sweet, but the plot is king, as it should be. You get pulled into buying the next book, be warned because of the dangers left hanging. She sure knows how to write villains who are truly scary because they are real. Highly recommended.
Bethany
May 30, 2016 rated it did not like it
Frustrating.

This book was awful. The writing was childish and the characters were had cardboard cutout personalities. The most irritating part is that a large chunk is about this villainous character that has no resolution. If it was any longer I wouldn't have considered it worth finishing.
Cee
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I felt as if Emily's story was more thrilling and interesting as Ruby's story was pretty neutral ( my favorite part was when Ruby stuck a pencil in the eye of that nasty boss of hers). Emily went through quite a chaos but I loved how at the end she found a soulmate in one of the Wilkinson brothers even when they weren't quite compatible for each other. It makes the story more realistic.
Hilary
Apr 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
Poorly written. Plot line was rushed and characters were underdeveloped. There were too many characters and scene changes to get to know in too short a time. This novella MIGHT have potential if fleshed out a lot more, but, as it is, the characters were difficult to like. Love at first sight here and vaudeville-style villains there makes for unpleasant reading on the best of days.
Will Decker
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Thank goodness it was a short story! The writing style was hokey, the characters were hokey, and the main romance turned out to be the couple that I thought were just a side story. There were typos and grammar errors, but they might have just come from the conversion process and weren't a great distraction. I'm sure there is an audience for stories like this, but it's not me.
Patsy
May 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Emily running for a new life.

This story seemed more about men, gun fights, drama then a mail order bride. Emily takes place of another bride to run from a murder she witnessed. Starts good then gets off track with too many characters and less about the main girl, Emily.
Gloria Smotzer
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Heartwarming romance

I have enjoyed both the first book in the series "Ruby", + this book very much. The story line is unique + kept my interest thorough out. I Wii continue to read this series and have added this author to my list favorites in this genre.
Cerine McGregor
Oct 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
I couldn't get past how poor the writing is. The over use of "," "and" & "but". Uggg.It read like a fourth grade short story.
I seriously want to re-write this whole series!
I'm incredibly happy it was free.
Frances Saueressig
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love and adventure in the west

Really enjoyed how fast the book moves and is a clean action packed western romance. The characters continue from the first in the series, yet can be a stand alone book.
Rheanna
May 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Accidentally read this book first so I was confused a couple times by things that I learned were references to book 1. Story was ok and entertaining enough for how short it was. Truly, won't be finishing the series. Didn't feel connected enough to everyone to care.

• Ricky (Mail-Order Brides Club #5)
  • The Beginning (Gold Rush Brides #1)
  • Westward Dreams (Montana Mail Order Brides, #7)
  • Alma's Mail Order Husband (Texas Brides #1)
  • Bride of the Wild
  • Gideon's Secondhand Bride (Six Brides for Six Gideons, #1)
  • An Earl Like No Other
  • Mail Order Love
  • Tennessee Waltz (Homespun Hearts #1)
  • Unconquerable Callie
  • The Blackmailed Bride
  • The Irish Runaway
  • Mail-Order Mistletoe Brides: Christmas Hearts / Mistletoe Kiss in Dry Creek
  • Love in the Rockies (McKinnie Mail Order Brides, #2)
  • The Cowboy's Sweetheart (The Cowboy Series, #6)
  • Wanted: A Family
  • The Oregon Trail Romance Collection: 9 Stories of Life on the Trail into the Western Frontier
  • In Love's Territory (Love's Territory, #1)

Come By Chance Mail Order Brides (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Ruby (Come-By-Chance Mail Order Brides #1)
  • Violet (Come By Chance Mail Order Brides #3)
  • Kate (Come By Chance Mail Order Brides #4)
  • Rose (Come-By-Chance Mail Order Brides #5)
  • Emmy-Lou  (Come-By-Chance Mail Order Brides #6)
  • Opal (Come-By-Chance Mail Order Brides #7)
  • Coral (Come-By-Chance Mail Order Brides #8)
  • Ava & Ina (Come By Chance Mail Order Brides, #9)
  • Lillie (Come-By-Chance Mail Order Brides, #10)
  • Pearl (Come-By-Chance Mail Order Brides, #11)
“grow” 0 likes
“people toward him, but as she approached, saw he was not a lawman, but a stationmaster. He blew his whistle, the train began to move, and Emily ran right past him and jumped onto the moving train. She turned then” 0 likes