Start by marking “Promise to Marry (Promises, #1)” as Want to Read:
Promise to Marry (Promises, #1)

Promise to Marry

(Promises #1)

This is not your cookie-cutter childhood best friend love story.

We were best friends since as early as I could remember. We grew up together. We were next door neighbors. We shared each other's deepest secrets. When I was thirteen, we made a pact: if we were still single by the time we were 30, we'd marry each other.

Today was my thirtieth birthday. I was single. I knew h
Published January 12th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Promise to Marry, please sign up.
Julie It is also a novella, about 80-85 pages.
Julie It is also a novella, about 80-85 pages.

Mysza
Dec 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The blurb sounds great, right? I thought so too, so I one-clicked, without checking the price. And then I did check it... Ouch! The 111 kindle pages story starts at 5% and ends at 79%, which gives us about 82 pages for 2,99$, not cool. Well, I thought it must be spectacular then... I couldn't be more wrong.

It's a second chance romance, and those story lines always have so much
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
1 Give Me My Fucking Money Back Star

If you are one of those people who subscribe to the "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" school of thought...

description

...and stop reading right now.

Otherwise, please join me in my declaring this as, quite possibly, one of the worst books of all time.

Seriously.

1 Give Me My Fucking Money Back Star

description

...and stop reading right now.

Seriously.

description

The writing was atrocious, the dialogue was awkward and "storytelling" in fashion, and the characters were walking stereotypes acting out cliched soap opera scenarios. And don't even get me started on that ending.

description

In fact, this thing was SO bad, it would almost be funny...if the damned thing hadn't cost me $2.99 AKA potentially 3 other books actually worth the whispernet effort.

I don't even want to get into the specifics of how much this thing blew chunks because I don't want to waste any more time on this shit show.

Sorry if that seems harsh.

Actually that's a lie, but then again, so was this book premise.

Catarina
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: second-chance
2 Promised Stars.

I could be very sweet and say that my relationship with this book was entirely my problem. Well, it wasn’t.
I feel like I’ve been wronged and after talking with a few people about this I realized I’m not the only one. So let’s be quick about this.

description

I will tell you what parts were my fault. First I thought this would be a stand-alone and it will be a trilogy. (I should have checked that before.) And second this was short as hell. I was expecting a full novel. (I should also have
Aestas Book Blog
Nov 28, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: not-yet-released
I'm intrigued!! -- "We were best friends since I could remember. We grew up together. We shared each other's deepest secrets. When I was thirteen, we made a pact: if we were still single by the time we were thirty, we'd marry each other... Today was my thirtieth birthday. I was single. I knew he was single too. But we were no longer best friends, and a part of me knew that he hated me."

First in a series.
Didi
Nov 23, 2014 rated it liked it
2.5 STARS

This was short, much shorter than I expected! Friends to lovers? I'm there, every time. But this was not exactly friends to lovers. Though I'm hoping the second part to this 2 or 3--not sure--book series takes care of that problem. The weird thing is on kindle its claimed to be a two-part series but on GR's it's a trilogy? Anyways...This was more of a build up, a background of Jackson's and Chloe's life; how they met, how the feelings developed etc.
there was a good chunk de
Laura Rendler Rendler
Jan 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Rosalin
Dec 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
WHAT THE FLYING FUCK WAS THAT?

description
Jessica~loves to hate a cliffy~
Wait..what? huh?

The whole thing is a kinda sweet story about young love then BAM !

(view spoiler)

Bewaji
Jan 11, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Seriously????

First of all, this book was so short, I read it in under one hour.
Secondly, about a third of the said short book was about friendship between two seven years old kids.
Thirdly, the heroine, Chloe, as an adult is so childish in some ways, or just plain moronic. She became an escort while in college because of her financial needs.

***spoilers ahead****

Continue to read at your peril. Anywho, despite her relationship with Jackson, one
•Anna•
Jan 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: trashy
NO WAY. THIS IS SO F****** RIDICULOUS!!

description

I mean damn Chloe, don't you hear that the voice sounds familiar? That the guy (view spoiler) is your lifelong friend Jackson (is this his name?), not one of your client? COME ON.

descrip</a></a></span>
  <span id=NO WAY. THIS IS SO F****** RIDICULOUS!!

Nicky

A R E . Y O U . K I D D I N G . M E ?

Okay, I have my faults:
1) I didn't notice it was a short story.
2) I didn't notice that the story wasn't a stand-alone like most of this book-series.
3) I now have to wait February to see how is it going to end. If I still want to know.
4) I had so many high expectations for this book.
5) I'm an idiot.

But the book has its faults too:
1) Okay, it's a short story, but WHY only 49 pages?? 49 PAGES!!!
2) It's like the blurb is longer than the story itself.
3) They shoul
Michelle
Sep 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
KarenP
Jan 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
1 star

I kept wondering if this book was a joke. It's not but should be. I love friend to lovers but this book is just bad. Bad writing. Bad plot. Bad characters. Don't waste your money.
EmeraldMeadow
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
First, I have to say how disappointed I was to start reading this book and find that I was flying through it, only to realize that it was all of like 100 pages and we have to wait another month for the rest of the book. I do not mind reading these shorter stories that come out every month. I have actually enjoyed several series that are like that, however; I knew that's what I was reading when I started and I've never felt like that fact was hidden from me. I looked back through the author's Fac ...more
Claire (Cem)
Jan 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Oh I so wish I hadn't bothered with this book. I don't like to give bad reviews, and I rarely end with such distaste for a book. But this one... well, I really liked the sound of it. It's very short as it turns out, and really just part one of a story, not complete in any way.

I loved the idea of best friends, an issue, and reuniting. However, this book (which starts at 5% and finishes at 80%) fell completely flat. And then in to very disturbed nature. It's very rare that I finish a book, and ho
Cristina
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-finished
DNF 33%

Despite the fact that it's a very short novel I could not go through with it. Maybe I wasn't in the mood but the main female character was so whiny, swimming in self pity and living in the past that I just had to put a stop to my misery...

description

So No...I would not really recommend this book if you're not in the mood for a pity party and a stroll down memory lane...

DNF 33%

Aimee
Jan 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So bad, I sent it back for a refund.

I had waited for this one for a while. The "My Best Friend's Wedding" premise sold me. I wanted so bad for this to be great but unfortunately it was a dud. I don't take many chances on indie authors and this time I didn't find a keeper. The writing isn't that great and the story, talk about a doozy of a story! Is there really that one unforgivable act? Yes there is and it's this storyline.

This is told in a fractured timeline, some present day som
Amber
Dec 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-i-quit
So, I've been on goodreads for over 2 years now and read tons of books. And, though I spend a large chunk of time reading and on Goodreads, I have never written a review. It's just not my thing.

BUT...this book was so terrible, I had to say SOMETHING. I feel kind of bad, because I mean the author did put work into this, but it's just such a rediculous mess of a story! I love friends to lovers storylines and second chance romance. But that ending was the worst. It's like she thought of all the ra
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
I read this is 40 mins, it is my fault for not checking the page count etc but when you are paying £1.97 you expect it to be more than a 100 pages. I have to admit, I enjoyed the story, even though the ending was extremely far fetched. I did feel that this could have been one book if the second book is the same length as the first. This book centred too much around them as 7 year olds, I would have liked more of the teen/adult years. I understand the point of the flashbacks but for me there were ...more
Three Chicks
Oct 13, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars for the Book, but 4 Stars for the jaw dropping reveal!

Review by Lisa Kane

Promise to Marry is the first installment of a three part series. Chloe and Jackson were best friends all through their childhoods. Her mother turned custody of her over to her aunt and uncle because she couldn't care for her. She needed to get her addictions under control. But all Chloe knew was that her mommy was sick for a long time and she could only see her once in a while. Jackson's f
Kelly
Jan 12, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow

I read this in under an hour which wouldn't have been a problem if the story would have been half way decent. I want a refund, but unfortunately since I preordered this I don't think that's possible. Sick of these novellas coming off as part one of a book, but paying full price ($2.99 for 40+ pages?!). No, this was just a few chapters thrown together. Honestly this heroine is the worst, there is no coming back from that.
Cristina
Misa
Jan 12, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
a novella with a cliffhanger

Skipped through most of this book as I felt like I was re-reading the same parts over and over. I'm disappointed I spent money on this.
Jenny Jo Weir
I don't understand how this book has so many bad reviews. It's a great book!!! Yes, it's a quick read and short (12 chapters) but it's packed with tons of events and a lot happens.

I get that some people might be upset about a certain event in the book, I do, but there is a second and third book; I would hope the readers would have an open mind to continue reading to find out the back story.

Wendy LeGrand
Jan 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
I am so very sad to have to give this book a one star review, particularly since it is the first book I am reading of Jessica's, but I am just very disappointed in it! I saw so much hype for this book floating all over Facebook that I instantly one-clicked a preorder for it. Then the date kept changing for the release. It finally downloaded to my Kindle last night so I started it this afternoon. I'm a very slow reader so I was completely shocked that I finished this book in just a few hours! Whe ...more
Stacy Hahn
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is another amazing book by Jessica Wood! I have been so excited for months waiting to read Promise to Marry, and it was well worth the wait. This book has everything! Drama, sadness, pain, love, humor and hot sex!
Chloe and Jackson were childhood best friends. I loved reading about their close friendship and bond that seemed to be unbreakable. They even made a pact that if either one was single when they were old, thirty, then they would marry each other.
Chloe does the unthinkabl
Jackie
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Speechless

OMG! I'm so stunned with the cliff and freakin mad at myself for giving in to this book...seemed more like a detailed trailer. Good plot but really?? $2.99 for that???? Ugh!! Books that say 1hr left in the book only for false illusion, due to sneak peaks and promotions, should be against the law!! Yes I'm mad!! Aaaaaggggggghhhh!
Mary
Nov 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
This was pretty good up until the twist at the end. The heroine became unredeemable at that point. I do not want to see this couple get together in the sequels...some things are unforgivable.

Worst book of 2015.

Lesson to self: visit Goodreads before One Click!
Trigger Happy
Dec 01, 2014 marked it as dnf
There better be a wedding in the end !!!
Mary Beth
Jan 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
WAY TOO SHORT. Quite ridiculous actually.

• The Farther I Fall
  • Swish (Heart Racer, #3)
  • Natural Love
  • To Fix You
  • Waking Up in Vegas
  • Secondhand Hearts
  • Remind Me (Chasing Fire, #1)
  • Second Chances
  • A Second Chance at Forever
  • For the Love of Raindrops
  • An Easy Dare (Crescent City, #1)
  • Fight for Her: Volume 4 (Fight for Her, #4)
  • Break You (Coldcreek, #1)
  • The Fall of January Cooper
  • Omega Beloved
  • The Boy in the Band (The Boy in the Band, #1)
  • The Fight (Fight, #1)
  • Someday Girl (Someday, #1)
If you wish to be notified of upcoming book releases and news from Jessica Wood, you can sign up for her mailing list: http://jessicawoodauthor.com/mailing-....

Jessica Wood writes contemporary romance.

While she has lived in countless cities throughout the U.S., her heart belongs to San Francisco. To her, there’s something seductively romantic about the Golden Gate Bridge, the steep rolling hills of the city streets,

Promises (4 books)
  • Promise to Keep (Promises, #2)
  • Promise of Forever (Promises, #3)
  • Promises, Love and Baby (Promises #4)
“It wasn’t until we were no longer friends that I had realized that he had been my one and only love all along.” 4 likes
“It’s karma. After almost a decade of eluding it, it’s finally caught up to me, and I deserve every painful moment of it.” 1 likes