Start by marking “The Ugly Stepsister (Unfinished Fairy Tales, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ugly Stepsister (Unfinished Fairy Tales, #1)

The Ugly Stepsister

(Unfinished Fairy Tales #1)

When Kat accidentally rips apart an old picture book, she's magically transported into the world of Cinderella--as Katriona, one of the ugly stepsisters! Life turns upside down now that she’s a highborn lady and must learn how to survive the social season, including how to get through the door in a huge metal hoop skirt. To get back, she'll have to complete the story, righ ...more
Published June 12th 2015 (first published June 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Ugly Stepsister, please sign up.
Aya Ling Yes! I'm working on it right now. It will be released this year, but I'm not sure about specific dates yet.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
4.5 stars. Best fairy tale re-telling that I've read so far.

That's normally one way that authors go with the re-tell of a fairy tale. Wait, I would probably read and like that one. Let's scratch that and start again.

Kat is told by her mom to head up to the attic and clean up some of her old books for a yard-sale. In doing so she finds an old copy of Cinderella. She is kinda clumsy so she ends up tearing the book when she falls down the stairs.
When she wakes up their is a troll there waiting an
Anne
$.99 on Amazon today 11/17/15

That ending! Woof! Totally killed it for me. Sorry, but it did.
Hated it. Hated it. Hated it!

description

I mean, what was that? Gah. No. Just...no.

Anyway. Other than my (rather obvious) disappointment with the last few pages, I thought this was a pretty cute way to retell the Cinderella story. Although, I thought The Stepsister's Tale was a much better story if you're looking for something from...well, the ugly stepsister's point of view.

Ok, so this girl rips part of a page out
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Aya Ling and NetGalley.)

“Am I one of the ugly stepsisters?”
His grin grows wider.
Damn. “If I have to be in the story, why aren’t I Cinderella?”

This was an interesting retelling of Cinderella, in that it didn’t follow the original story very rigidly at all.

I felt quite sorry for Kat in this story, she seemed to be given an insurmountable task in order to return home and to her family, and I wasn’
Simona Bartolotta
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Simona by: Muse-ic ♬
Sorry, Sandra, it turned out it wasn't for me. But, people, I still invite you to read her review because it's a breath of fresh air. I just love the enthusiasm of those words.

"You ought not be going out unchaperoned, Miss Katriona," he says, rubbing the back of his neck. "It ain't proper."
Unchaperoned, my foot. Next thing I'll be donning a veil and keeping my head covered."

This quote, all in all, has nothing to do with the "bigger picture", it's just a little sample of how this book is written.
Rachel Maniacup
OMG! This book is surprisingly very good!
This is my first book of Aya Ling,and my first time to read a fairytale retelling,(most were watched)and I am instantly bewitched both by the author and the book!

This is a story of a 17 year old,Katherine,who devours book after book since she was four(wow,she really love books!).She is the student editor of their school paper,who stumble,stutter,and falls silence when she encounters a gorgeous guy.In short,she's a klutzy-shy girl!

One day,when Kat was cle
Muse-ic ♬
4.9
That was hands down one of my favorite Cinderella retellings EVER!
Step right over into swoon-ville ladies and gentlemen!

Katherine was cleaning out her attic that is filled with her books, when she drops a copy of Cinderella. It's so old that it falls apart. Katherine trips, blacks out, and wakes up in the story as Lady Katriona Bradshaw, one of Cinderella's stepsister.
She's the "ugly" stepsister, but the term ugly is arbitrary, just because her sister is drop-dead gorgeous (like you also kind
Melindam
A Cinderella-retelling with some interesting twists, some boring tropes (clumsy-shy-teenage-girl & stuff) & a rather annoying ending.
I can see that the show goes on for another 2 books, but I'm not invested enough in the MCs to go on right away .... or ever. We shall see.

More details to come.
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
What would have happened if Cinderella needed the ugly stepsister to get her happy ending?

“Books open new worlds to me.”

I picked up this book because I was intrigued by the notion of hearing a fairy tale told from the point of view of one of the lesser characters in the story. I didn't completely get what I was hoping for, but all the same, this book kept me entertained and I am going to continue with this series.

Kat is awkward, to say the least, when it comes to talking to guys. It often ends
Yzabel Ginsberg
(I received a copy through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.)

3.5/4 stars. At first, the opening chapter made me think "is this a joke?" Cliché high school with shy, clumsy, average-looking girl who's actually probably beautiful enough, gorgeous new student in front of whom she ends up tripping, beautiful rival with a queen bee attitude...

But then, it became fairly obvious that this was completely in jest, a wink to the usual stereotypical introductions of the kind, and it set the tone
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
SUMMARY

When Kat accidentally rips a page from an old Cinderella book, she’s transported right into the story – as one of the ugly stepsisters. To return home, she needs to ensure the happily ever after – but while Cinderella is a maid, the other stepsister is gorgeous, the fairy godmother is missing and the ridiculously hot prince has his eye on someone else. Kat needs to muster all of her modern-day-girl wiles to complete the story or she’ll be trapped in a story world with no electricity, inte
♛ Garima ♛

Ever since I read 'The Selection', I turned bit skeptic while picking up book with gorgeous gown on cover. I didn't like Selection that much and you can't blame me for being cautious. But this was a clear winner.

The idea of Ugly stepsister is appalling but what if stepsister was actually Cinderella's friend? What if she was genuinely happy for her to be with the Prince?

And what if in becoming friend with Cinderella and everyone else, 'The ugly stepsister' actually becomes favourite of Prince?
Churin
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, ya, fantasy
Nooooooo
Whyyyyyy
Why dear author whyyyy
Half way through the book I was ready to give this book 5 stars but whyyy
Why did you end it that way????
T_T
I can't.
I picked this book after a bad experience with Geekerella so I asked my friend to recommend a Cinderella retelling that she thinks I would love.
And I did love this book.
But the ending just broke my heart T_T
Whyyyyyyy
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)
The review was first posted on For The Love of Fictional Worlds

I received a digital copy of the book via the author in exchange for an honest review.

Actual rating 4.5 stars

There are honestly way too many fairy tale retellings in bookworm world, so it should be totally used up idea that doesn't have anything new to give anymore! BOING!! WRONG!! I shouldn't be, but I am so happy that authors, different authors still continue to surprise me!

"If Beast gave me a library like he gave to Belle, I'
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I had so much fun with this book! I haven't read too many retellings but I was quite curious about this Cinderella story. Unfortunately, I was quickly distracted by other new shiny books and this one was lost in my virtual stacks. I came across the audiobook and decided it was time that I give this book a try and I am so glad that I did. I flew through this audiobook and really enjoyed my time with it.

Kat lives with her sister and mo
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

I received an ecopy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

MY THOUGHTS
I'm a bit of a sucker for fairytale retellings, so I snatched this one up right when I saw it! I thought this was a very interesting take on a well known tale and I got sucked in (ha ha) right from the start! This book can now go down as one of my favorite retellings!

Kat is told to clean out the attic and comes across an old stash of picture books,
Caroline
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fairy-tales, arcs, dnf
DNF at 19%

I just couldn't get into this book. I liked the idea, I liked the twist on the classic fairy tale (I skimmed it to get the gist of what happened in the end), and I like the unconventional protagonist.
However, I just couldn't handle the writing style and the vernacular choices. There was also a lot more telling rather than showing.
Max Baker
Thank you Netgalley for providing me a free review copy in exchange for an honest review

Wow, I can honestly say this is one of the few times where a book has actually surprised me. Not just in the "oh you had a unique character/trope" kind of way, but in the "wow, I was not expecting this type of book at all" kind of way. If I had to compare it to anything, it would probably have to be Cinderella 3: A Twist in Time, which is arguably the least awful direct-to-video Disney sequel.

Like Cinderella
Xristina Psylla
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5
Oh my God! I just finished it and I feel soooooo frustrated! I mean... what a book?!
I totally loved it ❤ It was funny, anxious, astonishing and in simple words a-m-a-z-i-n-g!
That end though... 😭😭 I need the second one right now!
I cant believe that I didn't persuaded earlier... Now I have to wait 😣
Anyway, dont miss these books. They are a MUST !
Victoria Erin
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an ecopy of this book from the author Aya Ling. Thanks!

5 out of 5 stars on goodreads
10 out of 10 stars on my blog

3 Words...

"I loved it"

Plus 2 words...

"So Much!!!"

This is the first book of 2015 (probably the first book of my life) that has a good retelling of stories. Especially... It's CINDERELLA!!!!

Aya Ling, she did well on this book. I knew I was going to have fun reading this book and I got it right. I really did enjoy book. It was fast paced and by fast paced, I mean like its a f
Fifi
Where has this book been my whole life? This is one of the best fairytale books I have read in a long time, and I read a lot of them because they are my favorite genre. I wasn't expecting to enjoy this book as much as I did; it definitely surpassed my expectations!

Our heroine is Kat, who is an awkward, clumsy, but endearing bookworm. She is cleaning out the old books in her attic when she runs across an old copy of Cinderella. Unfortunately, she trips and ends up ripping the book, which gets he
Stacy
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: requested, netgalley
I gave it 4.5 stars

I honestly still think about THE UGLY STEPSISTER days after reading it. It was so fun to read a whole new take on Cinderella.

Kat LOVES to read and when her old picture book rips apart in her hands she is forced to play out a story and make sure she gets the characters to the end. She is cast in the role of one of the ugly stepsisters, but she is anything but ugly. She is a bit of a clutz, but she is very loyal and caring. She doesn't like how some of her new friends are treat
C.P. Cabaniss
*I received a free copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.*

I was actually quite surprised by how much I enjoyed this novel. While I thought the beginning was rather slow and too descriptive, it developed into a quite compelling read as it progressed. It wasn't just a generic copy of Cinderella either, it had its own twists that made it unique. It was actually a nice blend of Cinderella, Jane Austen (almost any of her novels), with a hint of Dickens and Gaskell.

The romance wasn't ov
Dragana
To attract me, a good fairy tale retelling needs to follow one simple rule: to twist the story a little bit. Aya Ling followed this magical formula and the result was The Ugly Stepsister – a fun retelling of Cinderella.

LIKES

* Interesting twist to the story. Cinderella is one of more popular fairy tales for girls. Aya Ling retells the story from the point of view of the ugly stepsister, or at least from the point of view of the modern girl who gets stuck in that role.

* Main character I could re
Curly Carla Celebrity Readers

I dug the crap out of this book! It started out with a bang and the fast pace kept me interested to the bitter end. I love fairy tale retellings but I’m not really a fan of Cinderella so this one was a hard sell for me. I’m so happy to have enjoyed it. The romance was not the main focus of this book for me, what caught my eye was the system in place and how the characters struggled in it. It had terrific world building, seeing the world through the charact
Paula  Phillips
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing

As readers of The Phantom Paragrapher will know, I am a huge fan of rendition based stories and tales. One of my favourites is Cinderella. In The Ugly Stepsister, Kat is sent upstairs to the attic to clean out her old books and boxes. In one of them she finds a real old copy of Cinderella , she opens it and "ripppppp" the books pages fall apart in her hands. All of a sudden, she wakes up as Katriona , one of the Ugly Stepsisters from the tale of Cinderella. She is now living in the storybook wor
Hilary
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
At first I was sceptical: how good could this be? The answer: very good. Katriona accidentally tears a book and finds herself trapped in the story, cast as one of the players in Cinderella - and she has to fashion a happy ending if she ever wants to go home again. From the beginning it all starts to go horribly wrong as Kat, a modern-day teenager, is thrown into an early industrial society as a lady of standing, about to be presented at court. The culture shock Kat suffers, the customs and speec ...more
Lauren
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite-books
I recieved this free for review thanks to Netgalley and Aya Ling.

This book was a fairytale retelling of Cinderella.

It is about Kat Who is going through some of her old books when she comes across a very old copy of Cinderella. When the pages are accidently ripped from the binding of the book Kat is transported into the story and world of Cinderella. However instead of being Cinderella she is one of the ugly stepsisters. In order for Kat to get back home she has to complete the story of Cinderell
Lyn *GLITTER VIKING*
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, dnf
Read to: 6%

I can't even with this.

I love the concept - that is why I am giving it two stars. We can't all be the pretty special snowflake.

However, the writing is just way off for me. Here are so many exclamation points and "Noooooo!" is used a few too many times for my taste. I also find it hard to believe that a serial reader doesn't understand how the plot works in Cinderella. She is shocked when the maids are thrown off by her thankful attitude. Hello! You are one of the SPOILED STEPSISTERS!!
Alreem
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 - I really loved this book :) Cinderella has always been my favorite Fairy Tale and this book is so entertaining I liked and enjoyed it so much.

• Henge (Le Fay #1)
  • Red and the Wolf (Enchanted Fairytales, #2)
  • Gathering Frost (Once Upon a Curse, #1)
  • A Wish Made of Glass
  • Awakening (Absence of Song #1)
  • The Hidden Library (The Collectors' Society, #2)
  • The Firethorn Crown (Firethorn Chronicles, #1)
  • The Heartless City (The Gold and Gaslight Chronicles #1)
  • Glass Frost (Frost, #2)
  • Princess of Shadows (Fairy Tale Adventures, #1)
  • The Stepsister's Tale
  • The Princess Companion (The Four Kingdoms, #1)
  • Cinderfella
  • The Rapunzel Dilemma
  • Bound (Dark Reflections #1)
  • Moonlight and Ashes
  • Demons (Seers, #2)
  • Atone (A Fairytale Trilogy, #2)
Aya is from Taiwan, where she struggles daily to contain her obsession with mouthwatering and unhealthy foods. Often she will devour a good book instead. Her favorite books include martial arts romances, fairy tale retellings, high fantasy, cozy mysteries, and manga.

Unfinished Fairy Tales (4 books)
  • Twice Upon A Time (Unfinished Fairy Tales, #2)
  • Ever After (Unfinished Fairy Tales, #3)
  • Queen of Athelia (Unfinished Fairy Tales, #4)
“If the Beast gave me a library like he gave to Belle, I’d marry him too.” 65 likes
“Books open new worlds to me.” 19 likes