Start by marking “Human Anatomy: From the Renaissance to the Digital Age” as Want to Read:
Human Anatomy: From the Renaissance to the Digital Age

Human Anatomy: From the Renaissance to the Digital Age

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  59 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Starting in the 15 century, artists and anatomists began to dissect the bodies of the dead to discover how the human mechanism actually operated. This book illustrates the history of anatomical illustration and is useful for libraries of artists, art students, doctors, and those interested in the history of science.
Published May 2nd 2006 by Harry N. Abrams (first published May 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Human Anatomy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Human Anatomy

Nick Beck
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I recommend that anyone interested in reading this book should take a minute to flip through a physical or digital copy. That was all it took to hook me in - the pictures are beautiful.

I approached this book while taking my first anatomy class alongside a human-figure drawing course. When I began to read the introduction, which is pretty extensive (67 pages), I was amazed that I could scarcely read one paragraph without coming upon a word or thought that I needed serious time to dissect, think a
Teresa Mclaren
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: medicine
I didn't actually read this book cover to cover. It's not really that kind of book for me. Great stuff from Vesalius to Albinus!
Penelope
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. I've looked through it before, and it goes without saying that the illustrations are amazing. But this time I decided to actually read all the text, too. It's a good primer on anatomical illustration and describes some of the key historical texts and why they were important. Post-1900 isn't very well represented, and I didn't care for most of the "digital age" imges. I know there has to be better stuff out there, and while the 3D diagrams and the story behind how they were ...more
Allyson Dyar
Aug 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
A good friend of mine gave me this book to read knowing that I enjoyed Medical History as well as Human Anatomy and Physiology.

This book does an excellent job concentrating on classic renditions of the human body but gives really short shrift to the more modern artists of the Human Body, specifically Frank Netter.

Dr Netter is one of my favorite illustrators and I'm a proud owner of his classic works done for Ciba/Giegy.

If you're interested in the really classical renditions of the human body, t
Daniel
Mar 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lots ah peoples...
Recommended to Daniel by: melanie
the text is of debatable interest (a bit dry to the bone, only for those truly enthused), but these illustrations are, ahem, 'to die for.' the early & odd understandings (or misunderstandings) of human anatomy yields a fertile ground for the creative imagination interested in: death, horror, the grotesque, & human anatomy & its 'subjectives' representations. i'll write with more examples one i have the time... some illustrations are truly DEVASTATING...
Jenny Schmenny
Aug 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Oh, swoooon! I haven't even read the text yet, but the pictures are awesome! The modern stuff doesn't knock my socks off, but this book includes some fantastic and disturbing Renaissance-era anatomical illustrations, crazy drawings of partially dissected people pulling their own skin back for the viewer's convenience, stuff like that.
Shea
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful. Some of the best life drawings I have ever found. Anatomically correct, but also beyond creative and even grotesque. The fetus drawings being some of my favorite. Textually, I agree with some of the reviews who say the interest level is 'debatable', depends on what you are interested in. However, the book is worth the drawings alone.
Katie
Dec 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who enjoy our lovely bones
this is an intense look at the very inside of you. Every page that is turned I am in constant awe. Beautiful and gothic.
Kyle
Sep 08, 2012 rated it liked it
The beauty and weirdness of the human body, through medieval eyes.
Xavier
Feb 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: essays
It's a good cursory read about the history of western anatomical rendering since the early renaissance to the present.

lots of good pictures that will make you squirm.
Agi Kme