Start by marking “Elf Killers” as Want to Read:

Elf Killers

It is the very worst time to be in the woods.

Oisin’s plan is to come with his bow to help Aedan and Doona lead a party of children into the forest to gather the maidenhair seedlings his people would take across the sea as they flee the trolls who hunt them as prey. Maybe he can be back in time for supper. And if he only dares to dream, he might also be back in time to sp
Published July 30th 2014 (first published July 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Elf Killers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elf Killers

Start your review of Elf Killers
Montzalee Wittmann
By: Carol Marrs Phipps, Tom Phipps
Narrated by: Sky Wildmist
This was a book the authors were giving away on Twitter. I love the title and the cover is amazing! I love fantasy so I asked for a code. Now am I sorry! This is one of the worst books I have read/listened to ever! Those that know my reviews know I am honest and am easy on the ratings. But this was terrible.
First, no plot. Flat characters. The endless obnoxious troll language, made worse on audible with lots of grunts going on
Ken Fry
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is rich in imagery and fantasy that it must have taken an age to construct. We have basically, Good v Evil i.e. Elves v Trolls. At first I had a problem with the language, which reminded me of Clockwork Orange but given the nature of the story it wouldn't be out of place with Lord of The Rings.
Once the head scratching language became clearer it all began to make sense and is well worth sticking with. Team Phipps do an excellent job in not shying away from some grim scenes as the Troll
Bill Ward
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an intriguing book, not least because it features an imaginary language for which there is a glossary in the back of the book but I didn't feel it necessary to look up any words. It's a bit like when I watch a foreign film and enjoy the original language even though I may not understand every word but it's an authentic and original experience.
This is a fantasy adventure about Trolls killing and eating our heroes - the Elves. At first, I was expecting the book to be quite a light and fun
Elaina
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hold onto your chair while reading this! Set in another place, elves and trolls are pitted against each other, and the action is non-stop. Add into the mix killer birds and harsh conditions, and every breath becomes a test in survival. Not for the fainthearted! Kids die horribly, and amid the trolls jockeying for leadership is trial by head bashing.

And yet, amid the carnage, there is beauty. Graceful unicorns, magnificent forests and mighty mountains gift this tale the reason for survival, as d
Dee
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I haven’t read many books in this genre, I have read other works by Carol Phipps and was looking forward to this one, which, I have to say, did not disappoint. Trying to rescue a group of young elves from trolls is just the beginning of this adventure. The story delves into the world of elves, their lives and the hazards of being one, especially with trolls kidnapping and feasting upon them. I had to cringe a few times at the trolls’ behavior, but that just made it easier to cheer at th ...more
T.E. Mark
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Boundless Imagination’
The Elf Killers, by Carol Marrs Phipps and Tom Phipps is a finely crafted tale set in a vivid fantasy world filled with constant menace. It’s a landscape brimming with danger and a vast assortment of mythical creatures. Elves, Trolls, Sprites and Unicorns glow the pages along with a few ingenious creations I imagined finding in a book of Greek myths. (Homer would have applauded the Strike Falcons.)
While reading this story of a colony of elves, cleverly described with a bev
Jessica Donegan
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
For me this was a 2 or 1 star book, but I recognize that some stuff going on that I took issue with are personal. Also, I was having such a bad time reading this; I stopped about 20 pages in. So maybe it gets better or some of my out of the gate problems with the work resolve. I am conflicted writing a review for a book I didn’t finish. On one side, it was so bad; I stopped reading. On the other side, I never saw the ending.

So, I’m splitting the difference and rating the book with a 3 and layi
Lex Allen
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whether "Elf Killers" by Carol Marrs Phipps and Tom Phipps is a prequel to the "Heart of the Staff" series or not, it is doubtlessly a great, stand-alone novel, too.
In a fantasy world-building style similar to J.R.R. Tolkien (language invention, detailed geography, invention of a variety of life forms similarities) the author duo of Carol and Tom Phipps have exceled.

"Elf Killers" is an enthralling tale of good versus evil with elves, trolls, unicorns and other fascinating creatures. Trollish, t
Grant Leishman
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Elf Killers by Carol Marrs Phipps is a fantastic tale of the battle between Elves and Trolls. This particular iteration of Phipps' fantasy world, takes place millennia before the previous book of hers I had read, but it is just as enchanting and enthralling as the last book.
The Elves are forever in fear of the Trolls, whose sole purpose in being, it seems, is to catch and eat Elves. A group of Elf children goes missing just before the Elf community is to depart for far lands to seek respite fro
Paula Dyches
I wanted to like this one.

Based on the summary and the amazing cover art I was looking forward to this one.... but it was disappointing. It does start off pretty quickly in the action, but it's pretty gruesome with the description of trolls killing elves and elf children then the way they eat and dismember them too-- it was just too much. The troll manner of speaking is very choppy and although inventive was weird and distracting. On top of that the whole plot was the elves trying to save others
Roy Murry
Sep 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
ELF KILLERS

Carol Marrs Phipps and Tom Phipps

Review by Author Roy Murry

Firstly, my friends, the reader must read the glossary to get a rhythm of Trollish language. Otherwise, you may be irritated by what many Trolls are saying.

Then delve into this fast pace fantasy of two imaginary being types. The Elves are compassionate, intelligent beings, and the Trolls, are brutish war-loving individuals who enjoy eating elves.

The appearance of being true or accurate of these beings comes through in Phipps'
Chevonne Seabrook
Nov 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Excellent read

Very good book .. Certainly a re-read full of wonders around every page ..love every bit of this book ... Enjoy
Gayle Pace
There are Trollish language and Elven Gwaeler words throughout the book. There is a glossary at the back of the book. You may want to look at it to make the reading a little easier.

Doona and Aedan were going to lead some children into the forest to gather Maiden-hair seedlings. This was a bad time to be in the woods, so Oisin was going to take his bow to help. Oisin was hoping to b eback in time for supper. He thinks he is dreaming though. He also wants to talk to Doona alone.

Dyr's plan is a hea
Kaye Vincent
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is something very brave about this book. First the attempt to create a half-language that the reader can still absorb and understand, yet completely imprints another culture. That would be brave enough on its own - but second, there is a sense of these two authors showing real courage in breaking taboos. They do not stint on the violence and some may find that harsh, but it's a harsh world they have allowed us to glimpse. They show a world in which no-one is safe, including children, and d ...more
Cynthia Morgan
The very first thing that captured my imagination about Elf Killers was the wonderful languages the author created for the Trolls and the Elves, which are found in a handy glossary at the back of the book. I read through this first, actually, before diving into the story and am glad I did, as otherwise I might have been flicking to the glossary disruptively throughout my reading. The adventure takes off within the first few paragraphs, whisking the reader away to mythical realms and immersing th ...more
Rebecca
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rrbc
"Elf Killers" is a well-written and fast-paced novel from the first page to the last. The authors have done a superb job with world building. Besides the standard fare of elves and trolls, they have also created new creatures making this story unique. There is plenty of action and romance, and humor and sorrow.

The troll language was rather difficult to read through, and most times I skimmed it, but was able to get the gist of the meaning nonetheless. There is a glossary at the end, but I tend t
Sharon Stevenson
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Elf Killers' is the tale of a group of elves and their struggle for survival against vicious trolls who hunt them for food.

This is an epic fantasy novel with a horror element that is very well done. The book contains a made-up troll language, which to begin with I found fascinating and relatively easy to figure out, however I must admit that after a while all the strange words and phrases started to get on my nerves, but this was my only real complaint with the book and it certainly didn't stop
Andrew Palmer
While I applaud the authors for the research and effort that went into the linguistic aspects of the book, especially regarding the troll language, it really detracted from the story. Most importantly, it distanced the reader. When inside the head of a character who understands the language being spoken, the linguistic aspects of the language should be invisible - i.e., if reading in English, the mind of the character that I'm in should automatically translate the words into understandable Engli ...more
Larry B Gray
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have read this year. Elf Killers by Carol Marrs Phipps & Tom Phipps is excellent example of how a fantasy book should be written.

The author's storytelling style really came through in this book. The storyline is well developed and flowed smoothly. The fast paced and twisting plots are easy to follow and get into. I found myself getting drawn into and caught up in the story. This is way I like a book, one where I lose myself in it.

I really liked the way the author develope
Philip Tolhurst
How big is a troll?

I ask because it's a relevant question. Time and time again I found myself wondering this while reading this book. It's a train of thought that was triggered during an early part of the elves flight from the trolls. It was one of the first inconsistencies that jared me the last one being the end which made no sense if I'm being honest.

While creating languages for the two races in the book was admirable they heavily over use it with the trolls. Two thirds of the way through the
P.H. Solomon
Elf Killers is a solid first effort by the authors as the tale of elves attempting to survive the constant threat of trolls who have a taste for them as food. The story features desperate escapes, tragic loss, cunning bad guys (trolls), intrigue and determination all with numerous twists. I kept turning the pages with interest to see what happened. The trolls were especially portrayed in a unique style that draws the reader along with the inevitable dangers that loom for the elves.

There were a n
Shirley
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
It was a ride getting through this fantasy. Especially because it wasn’t easy reading the language of the trolls and the brutes. I got one word for them – DISGUSTING! I have another word for the author, FANTASTIC!! To write like this and keep my attention takes skill. I almost put it down on several occasions during the read but wanting to know what was happening to the elves kept me at it. In spite of my difficulty understanding the language, I somehow figured out what the author wanted us to g ...more
Adrienne
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While reading this I suddenly had the thought that this is exactly the sort of tale Wendy would have made up for the lost boys. With the thought the theater in my mind took over and I could just see Wendy spinning the tale while all the lost boys chimed in to play the parts of the trolls with foot stomping glee.
This is a book that just begs to be read out loud, (even if only to yourself). If I had a pack of rainy day cub scouts this would be my choice for a fun group play acting readalong.
The st
kimyunalesca
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.The cover’s a bit creepy almost like a doll in a elf like get up…haunting and spine chilling.This book opened my eyes to a whole new different world..took the trolls and elves up to the next level though a bit odd at first glancing through back and forth the glossary for some amazingly new words I’ve learned and just recently discovered took me quite a while to get use to it nevertheless I like it! The fantasy and thrill that shook my mind and senses all those running, journeys to save ...more
Shirley McLain
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great Story Line

A nice science fiction read and full of action. The characters are well developed with excellent dialogue. It was nice the author put a dialogue dictionary at the end of the book but it was not helpful as I read the book. I found the troll dialogue very distracting because of not understanding what was being said. I reached the point that I just skipped through the dialogue. Other than the one area it was well written and I enjoyed it.
Erth
Apr 18, 2015 rated it liked it
had to force myself to attempt reading. i'm not a big reader of this type fantasy and it got very tired very fast of having to refer to back of book for explanations. this could have possibly been a good read if i understood more of this particular genre ...more
Jeshu
I'm not going to bother to rate it. I tried to get into it, but I got bored almost inmmediately; also, I didn't like the narrative style. ...more
MARCUS CLIFFORD
Mar 05, 2016
gary borrows
rated it did not like it
Sep 05, 2019
Tom McCurry
Jan 01, 2017

• Call Me Dragon (Dragon Fires Rising, #1)
  • Huntress Reborn: Paranormal Women's Fiction (Supernatural Midlife Mystique)
  • A Bond of Venom and Magic (The Goddess and the Guardians, #1)
  • A Confined Freedom
  • The Vampire Wish: The Complete Series
  • Catch Me (Time After Time, #1)
  • Eternal Curse (Urban Fae #1)
  • First Magic (Born of Light, #1)
  • Lockdown Dare (Sinful Stories Book 1)
I am an author who writes fantasy, mainly with my husband. We currently have nine books independently published on Amazon. I currently live in the country with my husband, eight cats, two cockatiels, a raven and a parrot.

News & Interviews

The internet, on balance, has been something of a mixed-blessing for our species. But one thing everyone agrees on: It’s a great place to watch...