Start by marking “Silver Spoon Vol. 3” as Want to Read:
Silver Spoon Vol. 3

Silver Spoon Vol. 3

(Gin no Saji #3)

Hachiken melewatkan liburan musim panas di pertanian Mikage... Hari-harinya dipenuhi keringat, kerja keras, dan kebingungan, jauh sekali dibandingkan dengan musim panas di kota... Lalu Hachiken kembali ke asrama yang telah biasa dia tinggali, teman-teman biasa yang tertawa seperti biasa. Musim panas belum akan berakhir...

Jangan sampai lewatkan komik yang sudah meraih Peng
Published September 10th 2014 by Elex Media Komputindo (first published April 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Spoon Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver Spoon Vol. 3

Rod Brown
The summer doldrums settle in during the first half of the volume as our hero, Hachiken, continues on as a helping hand on a classmate's dairy farm during a school break. The introduction of a new supposed-to-be-wacky character falls flat, and there is not much new or interesting knowledge offered about farm life.

The second half picks up as the students return to school and see how much can change in just a month apart. One change is that the little pig to which Hachiken has become attached is a
Jordan
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hiromu Arakawa is some sort of genius. The fact that she could pull of Fullmetal Alchemist AND this, which are totally different, awes me. I just... cannot even... (However! I could see the farm in FMA, and the same soul in this) Just DO NOT expect this to be anything like Fullmetal Alchemist.

The art is lovely, with realistic enough looking animals and large, farmy backgrounds. I've gotten a good laugh or two through what's been released so far. Some parts are educational, especially for America
Taylor Ramirez
Anna C
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fools waste their money on foolish things. Only the wise use their money to better themselves. A man's worth can be determined by how he spends his money. --> jleb banget ini, lol

Don't go thinking you're a failure just because you made one mistake.

And yet you can kill livestock, but nobody wants to see their pet die. I wonder what the difference is.

All animals want to live, so...where do you draw the line?
The only justification is our tastebuds. If that is not a sufficient justification for
MillaMaxwell
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There isn't too much plot in this series, but it's a nice slice of life story with lots of funny parts that are made considerably more funny by Arakawa's wonderful art style. One of my best friends has a small farm and I keep recommending this to her because Hachiken's reactions to things keep reminding me of conversations we've had, hahaha...
Shala
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I continue to be amazed at the amount of detail taken with this series! I love seeing our characters grow and change with each phase of this story. I'm excited to see what is in store for our characters!
Kristin
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This continues to be an enjoyable, relaxing read. Hachiken's relationship with his paretns will hit home for a lot of people, and I loved seeing him bloom on Mikage's farm, surrounded by kind and understanding people.
Baileys Book Babble
Such a fun story but also super educational read.
Evelyn
Things I took away from this volume:

Families are a great thing. They are a center of support and a safe harbor when things get rough. (Or they’re supposed to be anyway) But more often than not, family are the hardest people to talk to.

You know that crushing feeling when you mess up so bad and it hurts people you care about? That feeling is ten times worse when you don’t get yelled at. But that inner turmoil forces you to grow as a person. Even though you’ll still feel the shame every time you th
S.Q. Eries
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
~Cyanide Latte~
I'm glad that I got through this volume today (I kept setting it down and reading only a few pages at a time, which is unusual for me to do with manga at all. It felt very odd.) I already have the fourth volume, and I didn't want to put this off for very long.

So if you've kept up with the Silver Spoon manga thus far, we last left off with our boy Hachiken agreeing to work over his summer break at Mikage's farm. In this volume, we not only see what comes of his job there and his interactions as h
Emily Ross
This has such great messages wrapped in such an amazing story and beautiful illustration.
Two examples of these messages being "Fools waste their money on foolish things. Only the wise use their money to better themselves. A man's worth can be determined by how he spends his money." and "Don't go thinking you're a failure just because you made one mistake."

So Hachiken is staying on his friend Mikage's farm and learns the art of butchering and even more hard work, but actually in a farm rather t
Mary
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Denise
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gnmc2018
My favorite manga this year have involved animals. Usually I avoid stories with animals because I don't do well with sad stuff and cute things. One title has been pretty much free of really sad stuff (Plum Crazy! Tales of a Tiger-Striped Cat). Silver Spoon makes up for it. Animals are cute, but also tasty. Hachiken--and some of his classmates--have to come to terms with the places animals have in our lives.

We get an unflinching look at what some animals are for. Like the volumes before this one,
Donna
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Hachiken winds down his time helping on a friend's farm and has to decide if he can eat the pig he named 'Pork Bowl'.

This series succeeds because it makes me get invested in the characters. Hachiken is a good guy who is slowly learning to grow up a bit. The thought put into the 'yes, you're not a vegetarian, but see this pig over here - this really cute one - could you eat that?' makes the storyline interesting. I'll definitely be continuing in the series.
Mary
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I live where dairy and beef farms (and farm life in general) is common, but I still learn so much with each volume. Arakawa tackles the often unpleasant aspects of farms (mostly the deaths of animals for food) but in such an honest way to explain the importance of each decision and the impact of society and farm life.
Jessica E
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan
I enjoyed this just as much as the others. This one had a real "Summer Wars" vibe with the protagonist going to stay with his crush- where nothing really happens between them. I'd have liked to see more love triangles going on. Real curve ball at the end with Pork Bowl. I can't wait to see what happens next!
Suzanne
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume was a treat to see how some of the students live with their families on their home farms. I like how there is a contrast between the different styles of farms from those that are smaller with the larger ones that do much more culling. It makes me curious to read more volumes but this is the last one I have for now.
Angelica
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“You can tell what a man’s worth by how he uses his money.”

This volume was great! The comedy in this manga is on such another level... I find it extremely hilarious. I found myself laughing more in this volume than the other volumes. Can’t wait to read more!!
Kate
Hachiken's first summer of high school, spent working at Aki's family farm, comes to a close. So many life lessons learned, and experience gained. Back at school, he continues to wrestle with coming to terms with Pork Bowl's fate. Soon, it will be fall - what adventures await
Bryn (Plus Others)
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-manga
Still very good, still very thought-provoking! I am looking forward to when the manga outpaces the anime, though -- if that happens.
Abigail
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
This series is so soothing to me it's unreal. Greatly look forward to volume 4!
Elsa
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one seemed to have a little less direction, and I prefer the plot line at Ezo Ag (as opposed to summer adventures). I still adore all of the characters, though. Also... poor Pork Bowl!
Hannah Kane
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gns
3.5. This series remains very cute and quite interesting. I can always do without any butchering, though, you know?
Matthew Noe
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm loving the food ethics in this
Child960801
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
The summer draws to a close, but not before we have a huge cow mix up, an invading brother and a whole lot of spilled milk. Then it's back to school and questions about morality and life and death.
Shawna (BacchusVines)
This is why we don't name our food! And daydream!

But kidding aside, I am enjoying this series, and almost caught up!
Anna Chappell
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hub-challenge
Joan
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pork bowl.
machinaheart
Series Review:
Great fun, great characters, great art, what's not to love?
I really enjoy stories set in rural Japan and I do love the emphasis on agriculture as well as the thoughts on eating animals/meat. Oh, and there is a lot of food appreciation in this, it's utterly lovely though it did make me hungry quite a bit. It's a great slice of life manga that includes some unusual topics and handles them wonderfully approachable and in fun ways.
The only thing that I didn't quite enjoy as much was th

• ちはやふる 3 [Chihayafuru 3]
  • Barakamon, Vol. 3
  • What Did You Eat Yesterday?, Volume 3
  • Train Man: Densha Otoko, (Train-Man, #1)
  • Sweet Blue Flowers, Vol. 1 (Sweet Blue Flowers Omnibus, #1)
  • 浦沢直樹モンスター7をプレゼンツ (Naoki Urasawa's Monster: Kanzenban, #7)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 10
  • Royal City, Vol. 3: We All Float On
  • 宇宙兄弟 1 [Uchuu Kyoudai 1] (Space Brothers, #1)
  • Yowamushi Pedal, Go! Vol. 1
  • The Seven Princes of the Thousand Year Labyrinth, Vol. 1
  • 月刊少女野崎くん 8 [Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 8] (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, #8)
  • Beelzebub, Vol. 05: Honmakai (Beelzebub, #5)
  • Tea for Two, Vol. 3
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 16

Associated names :
荒川弘美 (real name)
ARAKAWA Hiromi

Name (in native language) : 荒川弘

Zodiac : Taurus

Blood type : A

Her self-portrait is usually that of a bespectacled cow, as she was born and raised on a dairy farm in Hokkaido with three older sisters and a younger brother. She worked as a farmer for 8 years before moving to Tokyo.

Arakawa thought about being a manga artist "since [she] was little" and du

Gin no Saji (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • 銀の匙 Silver Spoon 1 [Gin no Saji Silver Spoon 1]