Start by marking “Elizabeth's Legacy (Royal Institute of Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Elizabeth's Legacy (Royal Institute of Magic, #1)

Elizabeth's Legacy

(Royal Institute of Magic #1)

Two years ago, Ben Greenwood's parents walked out the door and never returned. The police have all but given up finding them when Ben stumbles upon a peculiar letter addressed to his dad. “You are the most wanted man in the Unseen Kingdoms. Unless you come to us, we cannot help. For your child's sake, tell us what you know.”

The letter is from an organisation called the Roy
Published August 27th 2014

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Kindle freebie, May 12, 2018. Middle grade magic school type of fantasy. Reviews generally are pretty positive, but caution that this is for younger middle grade readers, without a lot of depth or complexity.
Anna
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Do you remember what it felt like when Harry Potter first glimpsed the wonders of Diagon Alley? The Royal Institute of Magic introduces an entirely different world, but that sense of wonder is the same. From subway trains that blink and turn into dragons to spells bought from bargain-loving goblins, our hero navigates this new world admirably despite never before realizing that there was magic hiding beneath the city streets of London.

The world-building is my favorite part, but there's plenty of
Wendi (BrokenBinding)
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you liked Harry Potter

Magic, mystical creatures, alternate history, and a search for parents who kept a very big secret...what is not to love? The different personalities of the main characters play very well off of each other, the plot twists are unexpected, and the dialogue is engaging. If I had to find fault it would be that I didn't want the book to end. A little more detail, and not having to wait for the sequel and it would be perfect. I am definitely going to keep a watch out for the n
Shari Kay
Jul 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
2.5 ✭ really, but didn't feel the need to give it a 2 in the GR rating system as I'm definitely not the targeted age group so it didn't seem quite fair to go that low.

I've enjoyed quite a bit of Y.A. fantasy in my old age, they tend to be less violent and less depressing than some of the more adult dark fantasies that are so popular today. EL was both of those things, I just think the writing really did only have kids in mind. It's simplistic. The characters are two dimensional and there are a l
Linda Cole
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very different

I enjoyed this book even if it was more for teens the characters the setting the plot held my interest and am awaiting the next adventure.
Laura (acquariusgb)
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I found this gem thanks to Kindle unlimited.

When you first read it, you will have the same emotions than when you first entered the Harry Potter world. It is a true pleasure discovering this magical world together with the main character, Ben Greenwood. The world building is fantastic and incredible, the author managed to create a setting as elaborate as the Rowling's one.

It is a very entertaining world with magical creatures, dark magic, dragons, evil kings, Queen Elisabeth I as founder of a m
Pop Bop
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
An Excellent Middle Grade Magic Adventure Quest

I understand people who gripe about Potter-like books, but don't agree. Potter wasn't the first "boy magician has his eyes opened to an alternate magical world" story and there is no reason for his tale to be the last. Isn't the real question whether this book, here and now, is worthy and entertaining? If that is the question, the answer for me is "Yes".

We have a hero, Ben. His parents have disappeared and his immediate quest is to find them, even t
Becky
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this because others said it was reminiscent of Harry Potter, and it is. It's one of those books that's appropriate for middle school through adult. The story is engaging and was sometimes hard to put down. It's the first in a series, and it was good enough that I plan to buy the second (for my Kindle). Sometimes there seemed to be an awful lot of description, but since the world of the story is unlike ours, the description was necessary. This is a great light read.
Twila
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Where to begin?? This was truly amazing. The only downside is waiting for the next book in the series. This has the potential to on my all-time favorites with Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. I can't wait to find out what happens next.

Not only did I enjoy this book but so did my son. Great job!
Bill Tillman
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
RIM: Elizabeth's Legacy; Heir to the Harry Potter Legacy

Ok very strong out of the gate. Will have to wait to see how strong #2 is before becoming a fan, but it looks promising at this point.
Michael Mardel
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Royal Institute of Magic by Victor Kloss is a magical journey through Unseen worlds, of elves, goblins and dragons. The main protagonist is Ben whose parents disappeared a while ago, never to be found. All he has is a piece of cloth. He and his best mate, Charlie, soon find themselves on the outer of these Unseen Kingdoms. Firstly, they are transported on Dragonway and then find themselves at the Institute where they meet Natalie, the third of their trio. Each of these characters have almost equ ...more
Scott Gregory
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. It has dragons, goblins, dark elves, mystery and is plenty of fun. From the very beginning I was interested in the story and wanting to see what was next. I believe you will, like me, find yourself wanting to make extra time so you can see how they escape their latest calamity. I can think of no better praise for a book than I wanted to find extra time to devote to reading it.
Cory
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I started reading this book with the intention of reading a chapter out loud to my son's each night before bed. Suddenly they were asleep and I was on chapter 5! I could not put this book down until I finished it! Highly recommended, can not wait for the second installment this spring
Paula Berinstein
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cute story with great world building. The author has a lot of talent. More intimate than Harry Potter but with a similar feel.
Alia Magma
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Royal Institute of Magic gave me something I thought I had lost: a sense of wonder. The last time I felt this kind of feeling I was twelve and was watching the amazing, beautiful movies of Harry Potter.
This book, unlike the Harry Potter series, is not a boarding school story. However, it is set in a magical world filled with various magnificent creatures; packed with action and epic battles; and revolves around a well crafted mystery that keeps us reading, needing to discover the truths and sec
Peter
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. It proved to be a real page turner that I could not and did not want to put down. It is honestly one of the few books that I have enjoyed as much as Harry Potter. The story even has the feel of the Harry Potter books at times while remaining original. In a way the story brought to mind elements of Kaza Kinsley’s Erec Rex Series and The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe too.
The characters are likeable while being caught up in a fast past adventure that often has you on the ed
Tracy
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be a compulsive read. I took me a rather short period of time to read my way through the book. It's geared toward younger teens, but I would personally call it an all ages read, it's that good and crosses all the age barriers. I would describe it as a cross between Harry Potter and Percy Jackson in that the characters are always on the move at a sort of breathless pace.
This is not a bad thing.

I'm just trying to paint a broad swath picture here. Those afore mentioned books
Devi Nair
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
This book just has all the elements of magic like Harry's stories, and friends like with Harry. But the theme line is completely different. The feel of the book is very different from JK Rowling's creations. Only thing is those who loved Harry Potter, is bound to love this one too.

Read more at Royal Institute of Magic
Debbie Tanner
This is a fun new book about a boy who's parents have disappeared and he finds out there is a magical connection. There are obvious connections to Harry Potter, Charlie Bone, and Percy Jackson (and it would probably make a good compare and contrast lesson!). This one is also very fast paced, has likable characters and interesting problems and plot twists. I think the kids will like this one a lot.
Cole Williams
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think Elizabeth's Legacy, Royal Institute of Magic was a very good book. If you like Harry Potter then you will like Royal Institute of Magic. It is about a boy and his friend who goes to the royal institute of magic to look his mom and dad who disappeared a few years ago. This would be a good book for young adults. I recommend it to anyone who likes a action and adventure book. Hope this was helpful.
Soo
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, reviewed
3.5 Stars Story, 4 Stars for Narration by Peter Kenny

This was a nice start of an adventure series with magic, conspiracies and beings & creatures of myth. Peter Kenny did a great job of giving that extra bit of life to the characters and story. I would highly recommend this book to middle school kids. It was a fun story that kept me engaged from the start and while away my time on the road.
Stacie
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Royal Institute of Magic: Elizabeth's Legacy takes readers on a extraordinary journey to the mythical Unseen Kingdoms where spells are plentiful and secrets are revealed.

It's been two years since Ben's parents vanished yet he knows they are still alive and he is determined to find out what happened to them. Armed with very few clues, Ben and his best friend Charlie find an old treasure box among the police evidence from the day of the disappearance. A logo sparks Ben's memory and the pair set ou
John Cjg
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing

It is absolutely criminal that this book is not more popular, I really mean that. I loved it, but would have loved it even more if I was thirteen and not twenty five (where do the years go??)
After an intriguing prologue we are set onto Ben who has visions or dreams. Ben is forced to alternate between friend’s houses, one every night rather than move away to live with his grandma. I thought this was hilarious and something that I often thought about doing myself when younger. He’s joined by his
Cheri Bauer
I have read other comments which compare this book to the HP series. It is not at all like HP. This book is a stand alone world of creative imagination that deserves recognition of its very own! I would, without hesitation, recommend this book to kids and adults alike. Victor has opened up a world of his own, and revealed some fascinating characters, as well as some colourful and inviting landscape. From the modes of transport to the well-crafted buildings and residents, this first book is loade ...more
Genny
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
When Ben Greenwood's parents disappeared, he had no idea what he would find when he went looking for them...a magical world that dates back to Queen Elizabeth I, a brewing war between the dark elves and the rest of the world, and a quest that dates back to the time Queen Elizabeth. Not to mention magic, elves, goblins, trolls, and the reason his parents no longer trust the institute to keep not only themselves, but Ben safe.

A very easy, pleasant read. There are similarities to other magical sto
Milica Cudina
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just started reading the second installment in the series and could not, for the life of me, remember why I only assigned 4 stars to the first book. So, I figured -- if my objections did not stand the test of time, they deserve to be erased; hence, the five stars. Moreover, I was so looking forward to the second book. It stands to reason that the first book was quite engaging and memorable.

By the way, if you walk away muttering about a JK Rowling rip-off, remember that despite all of her many
Gwennie Daley
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Read!!

This book was an excellent read. 100% pure adventure from the start. Each character had their own flare and was fully developed. Thursday's actually be an excellent movie! If you live reading about magic, dwarfs, flying dragons and horses, elves, unseen lands, action and adventure....This indefinitely the book to read. Kept me captivated from page 1. I read this is one day! Kudos to Victor Kloss for writing such excellence. I cannot wait to read the rest of the series!!!
Denise
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Denise by: 306
A very good start to this new middle grade series, and I enjoyed reading it. As others have said, it does remind me a bit of the Harry Potter books -- there are three teenagers studying magic, two boys and a girl; the main character's parents are on the run with a secret as the story begins. I didn't find the world-building to be quite as good as J.K. Rowling's but, for an Indie author, I did find it to be well done and expect that to continue as the tale progresses. Book Two is due out in the S ...more
David
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth's Legacy

I'm a sucker for good fantasy stories of a Wizardly nature, and this one does not disappoint. I thought maybe because the cast were youngsters, I would not be able to relate to them, as I unfortunately am much older. But no! Low and behold I forgot all about it after the first few pages, a great read, great storylines, even better characters, I read the whole thing in one sitting so enthralled was I. Fab, Fab, Fab
Jenny
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As an avid reader and someone who has enjoyed fantasy books ever since her big brother read her Harry Potter as a bedtime story (I was aged ~6!), I loved this book and the 4 following it.

I'm hooked.

It's aimed at children and as such the writing and plot aren't particularly complicated, but the world created totally sucks you in, as do the friendships.

Eagerly awaiting book 6!
  • The Sorcerer’s Quest (The Sorcerer’s Saga, #1)
  • Anni Moon & The Elemental Artifact
  • Mason McQueen and the Gargoyle's Curse (book 1)
  • Awakening (Chronicles of Benjamin Dragon, #1)
  • Dragon Defender (Dragon Defense League, #1)
  • Reader and Educator Guide to "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings"
  • Venom of the Serpent's Cunning (Andy Smithson, #2)
  • Guardian's Rise (The Sons of Masguard, #2)
  • Nightborn (Thrones & Bones, #2)
  • Wizard Born (Wizard Born, #1)
  • Tommy Black and the Staff of Light (Tommy Black #1)
  • Messenger of the Dark Prophet (The Bowl of Souls #2)
  • Ennara and the Book of Shadows (Ennara, #2)
  • Avenger (Sanctuary, #2)
  • Hard Luck (Saga of Menyoral, #1)
  • Peter of the Wind (War of Contractia, #1)
  • The Griffin's Boy (The Griffin Riders' Chronicles, #1)
  • Nature Mage (Nature Mage, #1)
Victor originally wrote:

"Born in London, I live in a lovely little town in West Sussex with my wife and daughter.

"My passion for writing came from the many great books I read as a child and at school. I thought it would be nice to give others the same pleasure of escaping to another world that they gave me."

Victor passed away on 5 November 2016 after fighting a losing battle against an aggressive

Royal Institute of Magic (6 books)
  • The Shadowseeker (Royal Institute of Magic, #2)
  • The Protectors (Royal Institute of Magic #3)
  • The Silver Dwarf (Royal Institute of Magic #4)
  • The Last Guardian (Royal Institute of Magic #5)
  • The High Council (Royal Institute of Magic, #6)
“Is the prospect of magic any more outrageous than a dragon train?” 4 likes
“Sir, this is absurd,” he said. “You have the wrong Greenwood. There must be a lord or nobleman with the same surname. I have no association with whoever organised this meeting.” The guard’s face darkened. “This meeting has been organised by Her Majesty, the Queen. Unfortunately, there has been no mistake. Now, be seated and be silent.” 1 likes