Start by marking “Damon Snow and the Nocturnal Lessons (Damon Snow, #1)” as Want to Read:
Damon Snow and the Nocturnal Lessons (Damon Snow, #1)

Damon Snow and the Nocturnal Lessons

(Damon Snow #1)

In the shadow world of Regency molly houses, love can’t be possible – can it?

Damon Snow thinks he has the world figured out. As an incubus demon and male prostitute, the world is a cruel, dark and lonely place where men only want one thing.

When his long-time patron Byrne discovers he's dying, Byrne offers to leave his entire fortune to Damon.

There's only one catch: Damon h
Published October 2nd 2014

To ask other readers questions about Damon Snow and the Nocturnal Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Damon Snow and the Nocturnal Lessons

Start your review of Damon Snow and the Nocturnal Lessons (Damon Snow, #1)
Erica Chilson
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads*

4 stars overall
3 stars for the beginning
5 stars for the ending.

I want to preface this review by stating I had a very, very difficult time starting this novella and keeping engaged. It wasn't the genre, as I'm an avid Regency and M/M reader. There was something about the writing style or the execution of the introduction. Why am I stating this? Because if I hadn't had to read this title for reviewing purposes, I would have
Bitchie
This was very well written, but it wasn't your typical romance, I'm not even sure if it qualifies as a romance. Damon is a male prostitute, and an incubus. One of his clients is dying, and tells him that if he brings him the real story of one of his johns, he will make him his heir, and leave him all his money.

So the love story really isn't about the MC at all, but about two people Damon knows, a fellow prostitute, and one of his clients, who have fallen in love.

I thought the incubus bit didn't
Emily
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

So, I didn't realize that this is not only a series, but more of a serial when I started reading it, so I just wanted to give fair warning. While the book does have a satisfying conclusion, it also has a bit of a cliffhanger ending that leads into the next book, so be warned.

Overall though, this was an interesting story for me. Part romance, part erotic, part mystery, and part suspense, and totally intriguing. I thought this was ju
⚣Michaelle⚣
4 Stars

I'm not sure why this is rated so low, except that maybe the less than HFN ending left me wanting more! That's a good thing...
Lisa Reynolds
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nocturnal Lessons (2014) by Olivia Helling is the first book in the Damon Snow series of books. It was a wonderful read from start to finish.

The story is set in Mother Dover’s brothel where protagonist Damon works. He is someone who acts very sure of himself, all macho doesn’t believe in love, doesn’t believe it exists and yet as the book progresses we see that his emotions about love begin to change slightly and he begins to be slightly more open to the prospect and shows that there is romance
Jenn (not Lily)
It was ok....but not amazing. I think I'm done with this series. Just not enough here to be worth the angsty ennui to get to the HEA/HFN. Oh well...at least it was short!
Jayne
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read but definitely not what I expected. This is a series but I am not interested in Damon Snow enough to continue the story.
WhatAStrangeDuck
This was actually a lot better than I expected it to be and truth be told - I only got it because it was free at the time. After reading the "Godsbane Prince" books by this author my expectations weren't that high but I'm pleasantly surprised.

I'm way into book two by now, so I can't really be sure that all I'm going to say is true for book one. Sorry about that. Then again - it's a serial, really and as far as I can tell reading just a single "book" won't do you any good. So far it seems that th
M'rella
I am not sure what to say about this book. Let me think here for a second...

So. Hmmm... OK. Ugh....

Paranormal aspect.
I have no idea why it is even mentioned, to tell you the truth, unless it's relevant somewhere down the line in book 5. I just don't see it playing a significant role in incubus-turned-dirt-poor-rentboy setup in the near future. There are no superpowers. There is not a sniff of something dark or magical in the air. Any talented and eager rentboy with years of experience on top of
Ruthie Taylor
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
"I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads."

This is a short read which I would surmise is set in early Dickensian London. Poverty and perversity abound in large cities, and Damon is a Molly or rent boy. In order to benefit from a dying client's inheritance he is set some lessons. This book provides the first. That I found quite enjoyable. What I haven't yet understood is what the incubus element that is alluded to within the 'blurb' fits into the plot. The next less
Lillian Francis
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
First off I think this should be noted that this is not a romance in a traditional sense. The main character does not find love, probably because he doesn't believe it exists, but there are another three books in the series for that situation to change.
I enjoyed the writing and the story. The incubus part I found strange. It didn't really ring true, it felt more as if Damon used the excuse of being part incubus to explain his own urges and his mother's indiscretion.
This is one of those occasion
Shelby
3.5 Stars Well rent boy stories are never my favorite and yet Damon snuck into my heart a little bit here. He's so sure that love can not exist, that being used is all there is. I did enjoy watching his head get turned around a bit. He may not believe that it can exist for everyone, or that he really has a shot, but his heart has started to open up a little bit. There's goodness down deep in his soul whether he wants to acknowledge it or not.

I'm curious to see where this story will develop in t
Shawna
Minerva
interesting premise; an incubus prostitute. I have to say Damon gets on my nerves a little. He's so negative. But interesting enough to continue
Danielle
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A MM fantasy historical erotica starring an incubus. Strange and unusual, I might try others in the series.
Virginia
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, 2020
3.5 stars?
Leaf of Absence
Dark, funny and a little unconventional -
Just finished all five books - I really hope there will be more.
Chris
3.75 out of 5 stars

Description ~

Damon Snow thinks he has the world figured out. As an incubus and male prostitute, it’s a cruel, dark, lonely place where men only want one thing. But when his long-time patron Byrne discovers he’s dying, Byrne offers to leave his entire fortune to him. There’s just one catch. Damon has to write about the reason why another patron procures his services. Caught up in his patron’s impossible love life, Damon suddenly isn’t so sure he knows the answer.

My Review~

This
Love Bytes Reviews
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5 star review by Vicki

I’m not sure what to say about this book, honestly. It was very strange. I was interested to read it when I saw the blurb, I love a good Regency historical romance novel, plus I love rent boy stories, so it seemed like I should read it! But it was just odd. Damon is an incubus, but other than needed to get some sexual energy from having sex, he doesn’t do anything remotely paranormal. The fact that he is an incubus didn’t add anything to the story. He works in a molly hou
Bianca Dean
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Damon Snow isn’t your typical protagonist. He is an incubus and a male prostitute. He knows what patrons want from him, and he knows how to give it to them. He has lived a pretty predictable existence – for an incubus and prostitute, until he finds out that his wealthy long-time patron, Byrne, is dying. Byrne, worried about Damon, asks him to do one thing, complete one task, and all of Byrne’s fortune will be his. His task isn’t outlandish, it almost seems too simple to Damon. All he has to do i ...more
Carly
Sep 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: amazon
Damon Snow is an incubus who feeds off of the sexual release of others. That's about all we know about Damon going into this story, and without the synopsis you wouldn't even know that at first. The mystery of who and what Damon actually is was not fully revealed in this book, although readers do get a glimpse into his rather jaded mind.

Byrne is a former inamorato of Damon's who issues a challenge on his death bed to discover and write about the intimate details of his other lover's lives.

There
Monika
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Review also posted on www.wodfreview.com

This was a good read but it did take me awhile to warm up to it. I struggled with the beginning, I found it confusing and a bit slow. Confusing because I couldn’t really see where the story was headed and I didn’t think some of the secondary characters were necessary to the story. Slow because it took way too long to get me invested and for a while I thought I’d never be able to get into it. Also Damon the MC is an incubus, which is something else
Amy Tasukada
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
really enjoyed this story. I kind of had a fun thinking maybe there wasn't a supernatural element and the guy just really liked sex, but there was a true supernatural element. It wasn't just pure erotic and I enjoyed the plot of him learning about love. Excited to read the next one~

full video review - https://youtu.be/z6I7ZjsZ_N4
Elizabeth
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
I have read some m/m scenes before but usually when it was m/f/m. I strayed across this author and set a tick against 'Like' on her page. Her introductory email was lovely so I bought this book to add to my long list of tbr books.

That was yesterday. A little niggle somewhere had me ignoring my list and I started to read about Damon. I finished after a straight, very enjoyable, six hours.

A major benefit for this m/m virgin is the historical aspect of the book. No date is given but with a backgrou
Julesmarie
What a fascinating premise for a series! Damon's an incubus in historical England, so he works as a prostitute. He completely doesn't believe in love, actually laughs at the idea at first. One of his clients becomes ill, with not long to live, and asks Damon to bring him a true story of another client in exchange for becoming his heir.

The closest this comes to being a romance is what Damon learns about love from the first story he brings Byrne.

It's a delightful idea, because Damon has many lesso
Tonileg
Historical M/M romance with very little romance because it is mostly set in a male prositute's rough brutal life in London.
Damon Snow is an incubus and male prostitute. His life is very difficult with no pleasure or meaning so when his long-time patron Byrne tries to help him find meaning in life as well as a little research into the meaning of love. Voyeurism, M/M sexual practices as well as brutal violence for almost no reason, although there is some romance when Damon's fellow prostitute find
Roxanne Johnson-bisland
was not to sure about this book when I started.
took me a while to get into it but after a bit and a long car drive I finished the book and now need to get the next book.
can't wait to see how it end.
this is not a normal type of book I read but it left me wanting to read more.
Damon's watching an act of Love between 2 people seems to really change his outlook on love.
I hope that in the next book it goes into detail of new experience, learning and growing
Elizabeth Stacy
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: olivia-helling
He was born into a world where that was a great excuse to explain away the mother's indiscretions, and then he suffered the consequences. It is also the only way he could deal with the emotional fallout of having a father who never claimed him, a mother who blamed him, and a way to deal with being a Molly. Just blame all that emotion on being an Incubus. It is a childhood delusion that manifested into a very real belief for our hero.
I received a copy by the Author for a honest review.
Andrea
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5* This book is the first of a series. It didn't end in a cliffhanger but there are a lot more adventures for Damon as he develops into a more compassionate incubus and I look forward to reading about them. Well written and I like all the characters. A fair amount of sex but it didn't go on forever and was well integrated.
Crystal
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Damon Snow is an alcoholic prostitute who doesn't believe in love. Oh, yeah, he's also an incubus. Driven to his profession by an undeniable hunger, he barely scrapes up enough money for a bottle to drink every night. Cynical and untrusting, with good cause, he shields himself in a fortress of sarcasm and indifference. But after the events of the next few months, he may never be the same.

• Trouble (Omega, #1)
  • Finding Finn (Wolf's Mate, #1)
  • Launch the Hunt (Grizzly Rim #1)
  • Omega Society Auction: Episode One (Rourke #1)
  • Boy With Toys 1 (Boys With Toys, #1)
  • Omega's Stepbrother (Men of Meadowfall #3)
  • My Alpha's Secret (Second Chance Mates, #1)
  • Fake It 'Til You Make It
  • Mauled (Guards of Folsom, #4.5; Beyond Duty, #2)
  • Something Borrowed (Fake It till You Make It #1)
  • Mate Wanted for Christmas
  • The Mating Chase (Werewolves of Montana, #1)
  • The Dragon's Little Secret
  • The Christmas Curse
  • Irons in the Fire (Three Courts, #1)
  • Maybe This Time (One Time Only #0.5)
  • JASON'S PLACE: LGBTQS+ Romance Series
  • Back-Up
Olivia Helling writes the dark fantasy series GODSBANE PRINCE and the historical fantasy romance series DAMON SNOW. Although she grew up an avid book lover, she couldn’t find the LGBTQ fantasy she’d always wanted. So now she writes them herself.

With a Religion & Culture degree and a love of history, she crafts wonderfully dark worlds and malicious gods. As if that weren’t trial enough, she burden

Damon Snow (5 books)
  • Damon Snow and the Incubus Rake (Damon Snow, #2)
  • Damon Snow and the Viscount Temptation (Damon Snow #3)
  • Damon Snow and the Nocturnal Confession
  • Necromancer Vow (Damon Snow #5)