Start by marking “The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer (Dystopian Romance. Thriller. Ruby Iyer Series, 1)” as Want to Read:
The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer (Dystopian Romance. Thriller. Ruby Iyer Series, 1)

Read Book

The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer (Ruby Iyer #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  137 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
When her best friend is kidnapped, Ruby will stop at nothing to rescue him.

Criminals run the streets of Bombay. Jam-packed with the worst degenerates. The city is a shell of the pride and joy it used to be.

Ruby knows something must be done, but it isn’t until her best friend is kidnapped by the despotic Dr. Braganza that she knows that she and she alone must save city, s
Published November 13th 2014 (first published March 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer

Paper Princess by Erin WattThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBound by Duty by Stormy SmithHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe V Girl by Mya Robarts
Fabulous Reads for Upper Teens and New Adult
9th out of 276 books — 261 voters
Prisoner of Poseidon by Mary BernsenSacrifice by Adriana LockeHeartbound by P.I. AlltraineThe Very Second Time by M. MabieLove Burns by Mandi Beck
Best Book Covers 2015
49th out of 84 books — 122 voters

More lists with this book...

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Debdatta Sahay.)

“And now that I’ve told you, I can never let you go.”

This wasn’t quite what I was expecting, and I found it a little confusing.

Ruby went a little crazy in this story, and seemed to almost have a death wish, especially when she followed someone who jumped off a bridge! Her thoughts seemed to be a little scattered, and I had a hard time keeping up with her.

The storyline in this was also
Ritesh
I have lived in Mumbai all my life and I am someone who is used to everything that this city has to throw at me. By this, I mean that I fail to really see the city and everything that is wrong with it. I am immune to the pain and the poverty, the recklessness and the “my d*ck is bigger than yours” attitude of the rich, the ineptitude of the politicians and the police. I am happy to travel in my air-conditioned car to work and back, making a living which can buy me the comforts of life.

So I was i
Mukti Jain
Nov 06, 2014 Mukti Jain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The synopsis of this book will tell us that the story is about a young girl, Ruby Iyer, who fights the evils of the world to save her best friend and maybe even BOMBAY. What it fails to tell us is that the story is about a young girl fighting not only the outside world but also all her inner conflicts and demons, every step of the way.

Ruby's world is Bombay. The city we all know too well. The author paints Ruby's Bombay beautifully by describing every street, bus stop, railway station as it is;
Biswanath Banerjee
Nov 06, 2014 Biswanath Banerjee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-read
When I’ve started reading the novel The many lives of Ruby Iyer by Laxmi Hariharan my first reaction was-oh, so it’s the story of a girl next door, fighting against all odds, struggling and surviving in a hungry Metro city, detached from her family where thousands of greedy eyes following her every move, trying to exploit her in every possible way and ultimately she triumphs against all odds! I’ll read some fifty pages of it and then the storyline will get lot more predictable and finish the sto ...more
Carmen

This review can also be found at Thoughts of a Hopeless (Book) Romantic.

*Much thanks for Laxmi and her publicist Ally for sending me a copy of the novel so I can participate in this blog tour. Apologies for the post being a bit late as I had technical difficulties.

I had not previously read of Laxmi's novels, but The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer was quite exciting.

I would've gotten to this novel sooner had it not been something called finals, but when I finally found like to sit down and en
b00k r3vi3ws

I picked up this book for two reasons... First being that this is a YA Thriller in Mumbai. Secondly, I have already read the author’s debut novel, The Destiny of Shaitan, and I had thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer, as the name suggests, follows the life of a tea drinking, very independent and sometimes immature Ruby Iyer. She is determined to make her life on her own in the fast paced and overcrowded city. When her best friend gets kidnapped, Ruby has only Vikram to depend upon
Nabanita
Nov 14, 2014 Nabanita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 beautiful Bombay Stars...

Note: ARC was provided in exchange of an honest review.

description

When I started reading the book, I didn't expect much. I am a bengali from Kolkata, and even though I have spent some time in Bombay in the past, I've never really understood the city. Sometimes it seemed too fast for me, and sometimes too dangerous.
This book is making me want to go back and try again.
The many lives of Ruby Iyer is a kind of book, which will make you wish you were in Bombay. The author described h
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
The Many Lives Of Ruby Iyer was a very interesting story. It is set in Bombay which is currently Mumbai and the descriptions were so vivid I could picture Mumbai in my head.

This the story about Ruby living in Mumbai and having to deal with things no woman should have to deal with. Her best friend is kidnapped and she decides to fight back by searching for her friend. Ruby is so determined to find out what happened to her friend and locate her friend she ends up befriending a cop gone rogue Vikra
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)

The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer is one of those books that had me dangling, unable to decide how to aptly judge it. This one was a mix bag where somethings had me sitting up and taking notice while some had me persevering to continue.

First off, I loved the cover and the fact that this was a Dystopian thriller with our own Bombay featuring in it. Now Dystopia is a fairly new genre for me and so I was excited to read a story set so close to home. Next, the blurb
Ian Wood
Mar 02, 2015 Ian Wood rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Dianne
A dystopian world, a girl on a mission to rescue her kidnapped best friend, an evil teen army controlled by a depraved doctor intent on bringing Bombay and beyond to its knees. The scene is set for a gut-clenching ride out of reality and into a fast-paced battle of wills and power.
Bombay is crumbling under the weight of violent destruction, but Ruby Iyers is on a mission and finds an ally in a rogue enforcement officer, Vikram Roy, who has caught her interest on more than one level. Together, th
Abbie
Nov 19, 2015 Abbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main character in this was okay, but there were times where she annoyed me slightly.

This wasn't a bad read, but there were quite a few times where it confused me, and I felt quite bored at points too.

Overall, An okay read.
Merril Anil
A complete Masala entertainer

First of all a huge thanks to the author and her team for providing me with the copy of the book and secondly giving me a thorough bollywood/Hollywood style entertainer

This book is what I would gladly call a total masala read with everything added into the book from family, friendship, drama, romance, comedy, supernatural/ superhero to thriller to action to crime to suspense and what not. so basically you name it and the book has got it. It’s a big melting pot f
Sarika Patkotwar
What I enjoyed most about The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer is the fact that the book centres around a kickass female protagonist. Although difficult to relate to and immature at times, Ruby Iyer was definitely a fresh change from the typical damsels in distress. Getting into her head got on my nerves sometimes, but it was amusing to read from her point of view. She and her love interest, Vikram Roy made for a very cool and new age couple, which was awesome.

While I wasn't a 100% into the story as it
Madhuri Blaylock
Laxmi Hariharan’s RUBY IYER opens with a note from the author that struck a chord and stayed with me throughout my reading of her action-packed, thrilling dystopia:

"I wanted to be economically independent. So, everyday I would leave the relative safety of home, knowing that my commute to work was going to be nightmarish. It’s just how public transport is in this city. When you get on a crowded local train platform, you accept that you are probably going to be felt up. Every time this happened to
Iulia Calota
Dec 01, 2014 Iulia Calota rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Nothing like a kick ass heroine to fill my daily commute with excitement! I love the fast paced, gripping story and, frankly, I want more! :)
Carrie
I won this book from Goodreads First Reads. Review coming soon.
Aparajitabasu
Original Link to the review at my blog Le' Grande Codex - here

Rather refreshing, whimsical and a bit riddled with the ridiculous ..... and reminded me a bit of those CID (Indian crime/thriller show) episodes, which is not necessarily a bad thing but oh well I got distracted. Back to the review. Anyway like its protagonist Ruby Iyer, this book goes through a bit of an identity crisis - YA thriller, contemporary or sci-fi is not really clear.

I'd admit the plot has its merits. Mumbai city is
Alba
Apr 23, 2015 Alba rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
*GOT A FREE DIGITAL COPY OF THIS BOOK VIA NETGALLEY IN EXCHANGE FOR A HONEST REVIEW*
I read this book a while ago but I haven't had the proper time to review until now thanks to school.

I didn't enjoy enjoy this book for a few reasons but I see the potential there and I know that if some people read it they will totally enjoy it.
Why I didn't enjoy this book:
Ruby was a quite annoying character and she got in my nerves quite a few times.
I felt it was quite slow and one of the things that are told i
Raymond Nickford
Nov 26, 2014 Raymond Nickford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
The eye for visual detail brought me right into the different settings in Bombay. Born in England, I've always been fascinated by Indian culture from a distance, and now there was the luxury of being immersed in the landscape; not even from the point of view that a tourist might see but because depicted across the social scale down to the raw and true of the seedier side which any large city may harbour but which Bombay hasin their own right.

Against this setting, Ruby and Pankaj emerge as very t
Fran Pickering
Nov 18, 2014 Fran Pickering rated it it was amazing
The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer is a white-knuckle ride through the disintegrating streets of Bombay as a terrifying encounter with a molester on a train propels our heroine from her everyday commute into a battle for survival – her own survival and the survival of the city she loves.

What I like best about Laxmi’s writing is her powerful and unique voice, a voice that drags you into Ruby’s world and Ruby’s perspective and doesn’t let you go until the nail-biting ending. (And not really then, as ther
Liza Shaw
Feb 19, 2015 Liza Shaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could imagine everything that happened in this book, the heat of the sun, the terror, and the love portrayed throughout the book was very well thought out and made to sound real. In fact the whole thing came across as plausible, which in its self is a frightening thought. It would be beyond awful if something like this really did happen.

Iyer was by far the most interesting character, the portrayal of her fear, love and subsequent understanding ensured I went through plenty of tissues. Vikram i
Suvodeep Das
Sep 24, 2014 Suvodeep Das rated it it was amazing
This is a book that you just can't put down once you start reading it! The characters and places have been beautifully described and there is a sense of foreboding reality in the book. If you live in Bombay or have even visited the city, you almost feel like the events of the book are unfolding right in front of you and start living the characters.

The character of Ruby Iyer is quite amazing - throughout the book you keep discovering different facets of her personality and you gradually start em
Harsha
Mar 09, 2015 Harsha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frist of all it was a novel set in Bombay , which is rare to find . I have been making it a point to read more diverse fiction, so I was excited by the chance to read a novel featuring (and written by) someone of Indian descent. The plot was great , the wirting was great. But ,there are times when the book treads into unknown zones and then balances out the effect with both good and bad. Then there's a lot of thrill and drama and acquaintance with few other characters.
Overall , It was good an d
Adam Webling
Mar 28, 2016 Adam Webling rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I was sent The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer in exchange for an honest review. It follows Ruby on a mission to save her kidnapped best friend and save the city of Bombay with cop-turned-rogue, Vikram.

It was nice to read a book set in a country that’s not the UK or America and I enjoyed being introduced to a city I don’t know a lot about. Ruby is a fiery character and the book is fast paced, but this did get confusing at points.

I feel like the idea of the book was better than how it was executed with t
Meghant Parmar
A young woman, left alone to fend for herself, some unusual occurrences in her life and then life takes a full u-turn to give her a deep introspection of what it has to offer and how it is thrown off gear. So will Ruby be able to live up to it or will she fade away? That's what the story is all about.

The portrayal of Ruby Iyer and many uncanny aspects of her lives is what sets the book apart. There are times when the book treads into unknown zones and then balances out the effect with both good
Heather A
I received a copy from Netgalley.

Not for me. Unfortunately DNFing at 27%. The idea of this one got my attention immediately. Diverse books FTW! POC main character, and set in Bombay? This was a must have for me. The description of the setting is beautifully vivid. Very well written and easy to picture and feel like you're right there.

My problem with this book was I simply could not stand the main character, Ruby. Her attitude was grating and got very tiring and irritating very quickly. She has
Aayesha Hakim
Mar 01, 2015 Aayesha Hakim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laxmi Hariharan blends culture, youth, emotion and life in one brilliant novel. She has poured her heart and soul into this book. As a young adult read, this book tests one thing - friendship.

A fast paced thriller is what this book promises to be and not one single dull moment in the entire book. It leaves the reader wanting for more from this series. It is UN-put-down-able to put it simply. And when I did finish it, I was simply at a loss for words.

There were so many aspects of the book that ha
Precious
Originally posted on Fragments of Life.

My Thoughts:

The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer was unlike any book I have read in the past. First and foremost, it was set in chaotically gorgeous Bombay. It also had heavy whimsy - which made various pieces of the story work together as a whole. Because of this, one side of the novel was hihgly unpredictable, while the other side remained predictable. It was hard for me to classify under which genre The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer would fall: YA paranormal, YA conte
Kritika
I have been making it a point to read more diverse fiction, so I was excited by the chance to read a novel featuring (and written by) someone of Indian descent. The plot synopsis was intriguing: a girl trying to save her best friend in a dystopian Bombay. There was a lot I liked about this book, but there was also a lot that I didn't. Overall, I'd say that I am looking forward to this author's future work, but not necessarily more of this series.

The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer started out strong, wi
  • ARISE, AWAKE THE INSPIRING STORIES OF YOUNG ENTREPRENEURS WHO GRADUATED FROM COLLEGE INTO A BUSINESS OF THEIR OWN
  • Daughter of the Sun (Cult of the Cat #1)
  • Baramulla Bomber
  • Life and Death in One Breath
  • The Crossover Year
  • Nazaqat
  • The Smoke is Rising
  • Shattered Dreams (Ramayana: the Game of Life, #2)
  • India's War: World War II and the Making of Modern South Asia
  • Business Doctors: Management Consulting Gone Wild
  • Chanakya's 7 Secrets of Leadership
  • Get To The Top: The Ten Rules For Social Success
  • Ganesha Goes to Lunch: Classics From Mystic India
  • Echoes of Winter: A Wintery YA Short Story Collection
  • UnCommon Bodies: A Collection of Oddities, Survivors, and Other Impossibilities
  • You Are the Best Wife
  • She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not
  • An End to the Thrill
A near life experience told Laxmi Hariharan to write...She never stopped. Laxmi is the creator of the Ruby Iyer Series. London is where she writes. Bombay is what fuels her imagination.
More about Laxmi Hariharan...

Ruby Iyer (2 books)