Start by marking “The Enemy (Jack Reacher, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Enemy (Jack Reacher, #8)

The Enemy (Jack Reacher #8)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  52,400 Ratings  ·  2,049 Reviews
Jack Reacher. Hero. Loner. Soldier. Soldier’s son. An elite military cop, he was one of the army’s brightest stars. But in every cop’s life there is a turning point. One case. One messy, tangled case that can shatter a career. Turn a lawman into a renegade. And make him question words like honor, valor, and duty. For Jack Reacher, this is that case.

New Year’s Day, 1990. Th
Published April 26th 2005 by Dell Publishing Company (first published May 11th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Enemy, please sign up.

David Yes. Reacher is just simply bad ass. My son is ten and I force him to read these books.
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le CarréThe Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumThe Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréThe Hunt for Red October by Tom ClancyThe Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth
Best Spy Novels
950 books — 1,686 voters
The Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumFight Club by Chuck PalahniukThe Godfather by Mario PuzoLonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryThe Road by Cormac McCarthy
Best Manfiction
1,644 books — 493 voters

More lists with this book...

John
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
OK, I will admit it....after not even paying attention to Lee Child's name in the bookstores all these years, I am now a committed Jack Reacher fan. And it even pains me more to reveal that it was the Tom Cruise movie that motivated me to start reading the series! (Ouch...that hurt just to type)

But, whether you go to see the movie or just want a fun read, I highly recommend these novels. I have read two now and am on my third. Same engaging character (Reacher,) great plot lines, wonderful suppor
Alp
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

“You’re wasting your time,” I said. “And you’re making a big mistake. Because you really don’t want to make an enemy out of me.”

Absolutely brilliant.

You can’t go wrong with anything Lee Child has published. This is my eighth book I’ve read from him, and I can tell you that it totally exceeded my already high expectations. Such a fantastic read!

In this installment, Jack Reacher, way back when he was still a Military Police, had teamed up with Lieutenant Summer to investigate the killings o
Susan🌸
I love this fast action, fast moving series. Jack Reacher is a mans man with a tough exterior and a good moral compass. I have not read this series in order but this could be the first. It is the explanation of why Jack opts out of his military career. The storyline moves along smartly with good characters who are likable and believable. I love when any of these come up as a Daily Deal. Dick Hill is not always my favorite narrator but Reacher is the perfect character for him.
Kathy Davie
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, action, thriller
First in the Jack Reacher thriller series (and technically eighth) revolving around an ex-military policeman out to see the world. And save it. This story takes place at Fort Bird in North Carolina.

My Take
I just love how Reacher's mind works. It's fascinating to read how he pulls the clues together, how he puts himself into the killer's mind. I do like the post pathologist. He's as interested in truth as Reacher and they dance around the evidence and keeping it safe.

Make me laugh… "The Reacher b
Eddie Owens
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the character of Jack Reacher, but sometimes the author makes the plots a little too convoluted.

This isn't my favourite book in the series and at 540 pages it could have been two hundred pages shorter.

It seemed that the plot was engineered to take Reacher to lots of locations, and ultimately it was getting a bit boring.

This was one of the earlier novels, and I think the author has now grown into the character and spends more time with Reacher and less with contrived plots.
Alexa ❤️
I was in the army, and I was always where someone else told me to be. (Reacher page 559)

4 Stars

The Enemy takes us back to Reacher's army days as an MP. At the beginning of a new decade Reacher is suddenly transferred from Panama to Little Bird then a two star general is found dead and very much naked in a motel room. His briefcase is the only thing that's missing.

Reacher enlists the help of Lieutenant Summer to unravel the mystery which proves to be difficult as everyone is stone walling the
Jane Stewart
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Weak 3 stars. It wasn’t as fun or engaging as other Reacher stories. A long drawn out mystery with a tell-all at the end.

STORY BRIEF:
A general was meeting someone for sex in a motel and dies of a heart attack. His briefcase with confidential documents is missing. Someone kills his wife the same day. Someone kills a Delta force soldier in the woods a day or so later. Reacher’s boss is transferred out and replaced by Willard who tells Reacher not to investigate these deaths.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
This
Trudy
Oct 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite Lee Child books - and that says a lot as I would say he IS my favorite author! This book is a bit of a departure as it follows Jack Reacher while he is still in the military instead of Reacher, the ex military hobo.

He is removed from his post in Panama and stationed in North Carolina on New Year's Eve. A strategic relocation by someone that still has yet to be identified... While "celebrating" the new year in the MP office he is called to a run down hotel where a 2 st
Sharon Mccall
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it
I really wish I could love Jack Reacher books more. In theory they are everything I should enjoy in a story but in reality I find them a bit of a trudge through treacle and always about a hundred pages or so too long.

This one was interesting in that it took you back to perhaps a light bulb moment in Jack Reacher's army career and life and shows you a little more of his personal life. The isolated relationship he has with his family - even his mother only calls him Reacher.

We find Jack unexpected
Sarah Anne
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one just hit all the right notes. A crime novel with an MP thumbing his nose at authority and solving multiple murders.

But why was everyone 6'5" or 6'6"? That was a bit weird. And the lone woman in it weighed 90 pounds?

Okay, so a lot of it was some sort of bizarre wish fulfillment by the author but as long as you don't care about the research being top notch...

Well, I'm going to shut up now and just saw that I liked this very much despite my quibbles. It was exactly what I wanted right now
Jane
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a Jack Reacher novel. He gets into trouble, he gets into more trouble, then there is a fight or something gets blown up, then everything works out, and Reacher moves on. Good stuff, but he is not Tom Cruise!
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Enemy (Jack Reacher #8), Lee Child
عنوان: دشمن - کتاب 08 - از سری جک ریچر؛ نویسنده: لی چایلد؛ مترجم: محمد عباس آبادی؛ تهران، تندیس، 1394؛ در 571 ص؛ شابک: 9786001821776؛
James
Prequel time. Rather than Reacher the wandering loner, The Enemy gives us Reacher the army man; Reacher the Major; Reacher the Military Policeman. Long before the events of the previous seven novels (and referred to obliquely in at least one of them) Reacher got involved in something while he was an MP Major and had to take a demotion as a 'punishment'. This is the story of that something.

Reacher has been transferred back from Panama to a nowhere base in North Carolina. His transfer papers sig
Michale
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: whodunit
A nice trip back in time to Jack Reacher as an MP. Get to meet his family. Although I figured out one clue right away, Child still managed to throw in surprises at the end.
Amazing scene with Reacher and his brother taking leave of their dying mother in Paris:

Then she revisited another old family ritual. She did something she had done ten thousand times before, all through our lives, since we were first old enough to have individuality of our own. She stuggled up out of her chair and stepped ove
Benjamin
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Didn't really do it for me...Weakest of all the Lee Child books I have read.
Dlora
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure-action
Here I was thinking that the Jack Reacher novels were all action and fast-paced movement with lots of interesting settings in the macho worlds of military/police/criminals. I was amazed to find that The Enemy kept me pondering and thinking long after I was done reading it. I got thinking about all the "enemies" in the story that drove the plot. I assumed that the enemy referred to in the title was the murderer that Reacher was tracking down. But then the story is set in the political upheaval in ...more
Harry
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to add the same review for all of the Reacher series, so if you've read this one, you've read 'em all. If you feel a certain affinity for the lone hero, a man of principle, of unwavering knowledge and assent as to his own actions, than Jack Reacher's your kinda guy.

Lee Child has created an unforgettable and unique character in his creation of Jack Reacher. Jack seems to implicitly understand that he is a unique animal/human running around on this planet and that in spite of social con
Tom Swift
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gotta love Jack Reacher. I might change my name to Jack Reacher.
Mary Drayer
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yes, Yes, Yes, I am a Jack Reacher fan! Book #8 is a fantastic search, investigation, "what a mind bender" . Take the ride...
Lorrie
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I love Reacher stories. Unfortunately, I figured this one out in the first couple chapters. It was still a good read. It was nice learning about Reacher's mother.
Aidil
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my 1st Lee Child's thriller and I must say it was amazing! The plot twists, the conspiracy, the mystery, it was all really well thought out. Now I feel like I should get all his books.
Terri Lynn
This particular book is a prequel to the other books in Lee Child's Jack Reacher series but he has said he thinks it will have more emotional impact if read after the first 7 and before the books that follow and he is right about that.

When we first met Jack Reacher in Killing Floor Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, #1) by Lee Child, he had spent 13 years as a military cop and had retired from the Army. He was living a weird life which continued through the next books where he kept getting caught up in mysteries or being asked by some government
Jane Debano
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I haven’t previously read the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child, although his fans I’ve talked with are extremely loyal and eagerly grab each new installment as it hits the shelves. Then I met him at a recent mystery conference and he seemed so intelligent, I decided to give the series a try. I started with The Enemy, because although it wasn’t written first, it is the earliest in the fictional life of Jack Reacher.

When we first meet Jack, he’s a Major in the Military Police, an Academy grad and
Siobhan
I say this every time, but Lee Child is more of a guilty pleasure read than anything else. I enjoy the Jack Reacher stories yet I’m less sure about the story telling. Nevertheless, I mostly enjoy the books – some more than others.

As always, the writing left me feeling somewhat iffy. Whenever I have time away from the Jack Reacher books, it takes me a while to get back into Lee Child’s way of writing. Fortunately, this story was an interesting one meaning it did not take long before I was enterta
Corey
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Enemy takes us back to the earlier days of Jack Reacher, back when was a Military Policeman. So far I have only read Lee Child's first two Reacher books Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, #1) by Lee Child and Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2) by Lee Child, and I know in those he starts out as a drifter, so when I read that The Enemy was a prequel, I decided to read it to see if I would learn more about Reacher's background. We are introduced to Reacher's family, his older brother Joe, and his mother who is dying of cancer.

While reading the book I kept trying not to picture in my head
Sharyn
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another Reacher book started and ended in one day. Could not put it down. I think this is my favorite so far. It is 8th in series, but actually 1st in chronology. It is January 1990 and Reacher is still in the army. We meet his mother and get her backstory, we meet his brother, and the emphasis on how Joe dressed is poignant if you have just read # 7, which I had. I started by listening to these out of order as I just picked them up at the library by whichever was in. BIG MISTAKE! and something ...more
Ed
Mar 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Spy Story and Thriller Fans
This story could have been better if Child had not tried to do so much.

Generals and Special Forces soldiers are being murdered. People are being treated as chess pieces. The Berlin Wall has fallen and the game is changing and a lot of powerful people don't like it.

The sub-plots intrude as Reacher realizes that maybe the choices he's made and the loyalties he took for granted need to be re-assessed.

Everything comes to a reasonably satisfying conclusion but I like Reacher better when he's out th
Lou Robinson
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the novel that took us back in time to Reacher's army days. As fast paced as the previous books, I couldn't really put it down. I liked the ancillary characters of the Sergeant with the baby and Summer, his attractive sidekick for this book. It follows the standard pattern of a Jack Reacher book - he ends up in trouble, he gets some girl action, lots of people die and it ends up with him carrying on as before, alone (although in the case of this book, demoted and back on service abroad, ...more
Milka
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another great thriller / murder mystery by Lee Child! This one takes you back in time, when Reacher was still an MP. Several plots are going at the same time that come together in the end. I actually managed to figure things out before the end, which is usually hard with some of the Reacher books. I can't wait to read the next one in the series.
M. Ashraf
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of the best stories in the series so far, We are not in the mundane world nor in the right sequence of the series, this issue is a through back to his days in the army, a prequel if you want to call it that, with his final case as a Major and how he got demoted to a Captain before he left the service.
It was fast, action packed and with a very good mystery to solve. though the ending was a bit :/ but it is still enjoyable.
Back to Reacher the drifter next :)
Goodreads Librari...: Book doesn't link to series 2 24 Mar 12, 2014 11:58AM
  • I, Sniper (Bob Lee Swagger, #6)
  • Stalking the Angel (Elvis Cole, #2)
  • Winner Take All (John Rain, #3)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #7)
  • Certain Prey (Lucas Davenport, #10)
Lee Child was born October 29th, 1954 in Coventry, England, but spent his formative years in the nearby city of Birmingham. By coincidence he won a scholarship to the same high school that JRR Tolkien had attended. He went to law school in Sheffield, England, and after part-time work in the theater he joined Granada Television in Manchester for what turned out to be an eighteen-year career as a pr ...more
More about Lee Child...

Jack Reacher (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, #1)
  • Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2)
  • Tripwire  (Jack Reacher, #3)
  • Running Blind (Jack Reacher, #4)
  • Echo Burning (Jack Reacher, #5)
  • Without Fail (Jack Reacher, #6)
  • Persuader (Jack Reacher, #7)
  • One Shot (Jack Reacher, #9)
  • The Hard Way (Jack Reacher, #10)
  • Bad Luck and Trouble (Jack Reacher, #11)

“This was like July 13th, 1943, the pivotal day of the Battle of the Kursk. We were like Alexander Vasilevsky, the Soviet general. If we attacked now, this minute, we had to keep on and on attacking until the enemy was run off his feet and the war was won. If we bogged down or paused for breath even for a second, we would be overrun again.” 9 likes
“The Reacher brothers' need for caffeine makes heroin addiction look like an amusing little take-it-or-leave-it sideline.” 9 likes