Start by marking “Playing the Rookie (Men of Spring Baseball #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Playing the Rookie (Men of Spring Baseball #0.5)

Playing the Rookie

(Men of Spring Baseball 0.5)

Jessica Song is tired of being a good girl, staying in a relationship well past closing time. Fresh from a breakup, she takes a walk on the wild side as a sports events intern.

Baseball rookie Jay Pak Ahn has been burned one too many times by good girls, especially his cheating ex-fiancée. When he meets wild Jessica, he throws away all caution to enjoy her to the fullest.

Published September 4th 2014 by Amiga Books (first published September 3rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Playing the Rookie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing the Rookie

Start your review of Playing the Rookie (Men of Spring Baseball #0.5)
Karina Gioertz
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Been on a baseball romance kick lately, so this was right up my alley! Between both Jessica and Jay's intentions to keep things casual in spite of their obvious connection, a great extended cast of characters and a few unexpected hurdles along the way, Playing the Rookie serves up plenty of sweet and steamy fun to keep you entertained on a laid back afternoon!
Brandi
3.5 Stars

Baseball. A rookie pitcher. A job working Spring Training.
Yep. Sign me up.

I want this job. I want the rookie pitcher--although at this stage in my life, I should be looking for the veteran pitcher, or hell, the pitching coach (I'm looking at you Verlander, Kluber, and Calloway). Anyway, yes, I know actual pitchers and pitching coaches. Baseball and books. Two of my favorite things.
So, yes, this job. The pitcher. This sexy little novella. All the things i love in one spot.
Throw in
❤ AudiobookRomance ❤

My Reviews

Somebody Is Wearing Their Horny Pants!

Playing the Rookie is a Novella in the Men of Spring Baseball Series
by Rachelle Ayala.

There are currently 4 parts in this series with 2 being available in audio. The rest are due soon!

Tor Thom and Charley Ongel narrate the series.
(They are an awesome duo!)

HEA with no cliffhangers!

Book notes for Playing the Rookie states that this Novella can be read at anytime along with the Men of Spring Series 1-3.
I personally would suggest reading

Amber
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Playing the Rookie is an incredible story that delivers huge returns in the form of devastating passion and life altering love. There is no denying the powerful effect that it has on the heart and the mind. No matter how much in control we think we are, love will always take us beyond our limits and reconstruct our world. One touch and we will never be the same again.

Jessica needs a fresh start. She is desperate to get over her feelings for her ex since a future with him isn’t possible, and she
Wulfwyn
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book on Audible.

This is a quick read from a baseball themed series. I have read two others in the series. I'm normally not into sports themed books but I have truly enjoyed this series. The players tend to make cameos in each others books which enhances my investment in the series.

This story involves Jessica, a spring training intern, and Jay. who has come to the US as a rookie to start spring training. There is a spark but will it ignite love or just passion?

I connected
Sienna Logan (Lost to Books)
More reviews at http://losttobooks.blogspot.com

I really enjoyed this read, which surprised me. I didn't read the blurb when I downloaded it on a free novella spree on Amazon, so I didn't really know anything besides it was about a sports guy.

Anyway, I found this an engaging read that was hard to put down. It's definitely one of the better free novellas I've read so I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for a short, easy read. I liked the characters and the relationship--even if it
Heather
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible-read
Jessica is spending a week as a baseball spring training intern, trying to find a new man to erase the memory of her ex. Rookie pitcher Jay arrives for training, burnt by his cheating ex-fiancee. When they meet, sparks fly and things heat up.

This was a quick spicy listen with interesting characters! Jessica had a hilarious inner goddess that primps and preens, and I could just picture her sitting on Jessica's shoulder like a little bad angel. It made for some funny moments. Jay and Jessica had
Patty
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun! Fun! Fun! Rachelle Ayala is able to pack so much into her books, I don't even know where to start. This sports story introduces us to Jessica and Jay. Jessica is coming off a long term relationship and needs to get over her old boyfriend. This week of working away and seeing the baseball players in training is just the thing to help with that. Jay is an up and coming pitcher, who is attracted to her. This couple is hot from the start and so much more. In this short novella, we have ...more
Cathy Brockman
Jess is on a job as a sports event intern. tx She hopes to find a hot baseball player for a fling to prove to herself ( and her inner voices) she can have a relationship with no feelings and get over her ex, Todd. When she meets Jae she lets her wild side loose.
Jae has been burned too many times but when he meets wild Jessica he decides to enjoy her the short time she is here.

Whoa! I am used to Rachelle's sweeter stories and this one really surprised me.
I did like it though. I think my favorite
Claire
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is sweet and fun to listen to, but at times it also touches of more serious topic, the combination worked really well. It was a fabulous way to spend an afternoon. It made me think of the importance of honest communication, many of the issues that came up would have been avoided if Jessica and Jay had just opened up to each other more about personal histories, although this certainly made things more interesting.

I really liked the characters, the were complex and had histories that
KimberlyDawn
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes things aren’t always as they seem. Jessica has been in one too many relationships that should have ended sooner rather than later. Jay has been scarred by the good girl. They both need something different. Starting spring training should take all of Jay's focus, but Jessica distracts him. They make an agreement for a week of flushing their past away and having some fun. But once the week starts, more than just passion is in the mix. This story shows the struggles of love after the ...more
Isha Coleman
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Playing the Rookie is every thought I've ever had but been afraid to say. It's original. It's charming and it's entertaining. Neurotic and chaotic, but that blend of craziness what makes it hard not to fall in love. Jessica's converation with her inner goddess allowed me to see her as more than a character on a page. She came alive. Easier to relate to and connect with. The dual dialogue captivated me. It was at times confusing and even downright amusing but it was the perfect way to allow these ...more
Brandie
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
AUDIOBOOK VERSION:

I like many aspects to this book. It had heat, was quirky and was something new. This was my first story where the lead characters were Korean. This was a cute sports romance- Romantic Comedy. The narration was awesome. The story was great! My only down side was that the conversations of the Korean characters could read choppy at times which was a little distracting but not enough to make me not like the book. It definitely matched the character, it was just a little different
Rebecca Austin
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow - this novella was hot!!

Jessica Song is an intern at Spring Training and Jay Pak Ahn is a baseball rookie looking to find his place on a Major League Team. As soon as the two meet their are sparks flying between them and their is intensity right from the start.

The two begin a hot and fast paced relationship but unfortunately there are some ghosts hiding in each of their pasts. When the ghosts come out will the two find a way to have a future together or is there too much hurt involved?

This
Joan Mueller
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Playing the Rookie by Rachelle Ayala
A lighthearted, spoofy romance brings attention to the existence of cultural differences that still exist. This author shows how arranged marriages can be harmful if not taken seriously by both individuals. The main characters fall in love but run into challenges due to lack of truthfulness. An intriguing look into the Korean culture of marriage and society that had me visualizing the antics of the characters. Loved the story!!
Jocelyne
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Cute and funny short sports romance story"

It'a a cute and funny short sports romance story. The inner voice of the main character, Jessica, is so hilarious! The narrators are very good, as always. I like Tor Thom and Charley Ongel. Also, I like the duet narration.

** Read and listen the audiobook with Whispersync. **
Catrina
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Playing the Rookie was a quick listen, and the story was well worth it. Jessica and Jay's story was not exactly what I was expecting. There were a few twists and turns that I didn't see coming! I also loved how Jessica's conversations with her inner goddess brought a touch of humor.

The interactions between the two narrators, Tor Thom and Charley Ongel, was spot on!
Nancy Bodie
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked this well written story. I would not normally pick a sports book, but if I had to it would be baseball.This story is unique as far as the storyline deals with cultural differences. There is some good action scenes. And a nice HEA. I will say there is nothing this author has put out that I have not enjoyed.
Teri
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I can easily give this story 4 stars because even though it was a novella the writer made us feel apart of this really fun novella. As short as it was we find out about their fears and hurdles, laugh at their clumsiness, become angry at the injustice, and hurt by the unspoken. A great fun read. And lets not forget the hot scenes that bring it all together.
Linda Dunn chilson
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Quirky and Fun

I really enjoyed this book, it was a very quirky, fun and hot story. The author is fairly new to me and I have loved everything I have read of hers. This one just adds to my collection of hers that I have totally enjoyed.
Sam Spencer
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
It could have stood to be a bit more spicy. I might be the only one who thinks Jay's ex got off WAY too easy ,and wonder what happened to the supposed best friend but I don't mind. Something was seriously wrong with that witch.
Rachelle Ayala
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Warning: Don't read on a crowded airplane. Dangerous to fellow passengers, especially those with heart conditions and weak bladders. Ask my friend Melisa!
Andrea Fleury
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very sweet love story

I thought this was a very romantic love story short and sweet. A fast read on a cold winter day. I'd read this author's books again
Rebecka
Sep 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
Barely started it and had no desire to finish it. The writing isn't good and it's pretty choppy.
Lyssa
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely one steamy novel! I love the quick pace of the story and I want to know if Jay has a brother???
Sophie Koufes
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Audio Version: A Romantic Sports Comedy with a baseball theme. Told in duo naration which is my favourite. The narrators did fantastic crafting the voices of the Korean characters and brought them to life. The dramatics were drawn out perfectly. This is a novella that packs a punch. A fun & entertaining read with cute banter between the character's. A perfect fusion of humour, baseball moments, surprises, luscious moments, Asian Cultures and Traditions, and poignant moments.
Krystyn
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Cute, Sexy short"

Playing the Rookie is a cute insta-love short story that is perfect for a spring afternoon. It will definitely help get you in the mood for Spring Training! It is packed with steam, drama, and love all in only 100 pages!

The narration was amazing! I really enjoyed listening to Tor and Charley and will be on the look out for more by them!
Kelvin Reed
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I’ve decided to spend the next few months reading fiction I don’t normally read. Toward that end I read "Playing the Rookie" (CreateSpace, 2014) by Rachelle Ayala, a novella about the romance between a male professional baseball player and a female intern for the team. This story is unique because the two characters are Asian. The plot is thin due to the book’s short length but I did grow to care about the relationship. The story contained multiple sex scenes with some explicit wording. Mildly ...more
K3
Apr 06, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was ok. I couldn't connect with the characters and the dialogue didn't do it for me at all.
Tangela
Sep 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
Not

okay I am sorry. Not sure about other reviews. I just have up on this book. made it far as chapter 5. Just boring. Couldn't force myself to finish the book.

• Ian (O'Connor Brothers, #1)
  • Overture (North Security, #1)
  • The World Beneath (Joe Tesla, #1)
  • Death on the Range (Target Practice Mysteries #1)
  • The Last Thing She Said (A Chris Matheson Cold Case Mystery Book 3)
  • Lust for Life (Sexy in Spades Book 1)
  • Instant Gratification (Always Satisfied #2)
  • New Orleans Rush
  • Dark Visions
  • Ghost in the Polka Dot Bikini (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #2)
  • Lucius: In the Shadows of Angels
  • Another Sky
  • Rival Secrets (A Whispering Pines Mystery, #5)
  • The Wager
  • Burn The Evidence (Detective Solomon Gray #2)
  • Collateral
  • Seaside Whispers (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #8)
  • A Lone Wolf
Rachelle Ayala is an award-winning USA Today bestselling author of contemporary romance and romantic suspense. She writes emotionally challenging stories but believes in the power of love and hope.

Her book, Knowing Vera, won the 2015 Angie Ovation Award, and A Father for Christmas garnered a 2015 Readers' Favorite Gold Award. Christmas Stray was awarded the 2016 Readers' Favorite Gold Award and A

Men of Spring Baseball (4 books)
  • Playing Without Rules (Men of Spring Baseball, #1)
  • Playing Catch (Men of Spring Baseball, #2)
  • Playing for the Save (Men of Spring Baseball,  #3)
  • Playing Fastball (Men of Spring Baseball #4)