Start by marking “The Second Deadly Sin” as Want to Read:

(Rebecka Martinsson #5)

At the end of a deadly bear hunt across the wilderness of Northern Sweden, the successful hunters are shaken by a horrifying discovery.

Across in Kurravaara, a woman is murdered with horrific brutality: crude abuse scrawled above her bloodied bed, her young grandson nowhere to be found.

Only Rebecka Martinsson sees a connection. Dropped from the case thanks to a jealous
Published August 12th 2014 by MacLehose Press (first published 2011)

Start your review of The Second Deadly Sin
Jeanette
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe this is only the 2nd or 3rd time I have ever given 5 stars in this genre. Not just for the Nordic brand but also for the wider genre of law side who-dun-its or a tangent of police procedural fare.

WHEW! I'm exhaling. Having read it slower (huge emergency situations times two in real life- all medical for my closest and most dearest) and also over a much longer period of time from beginning until the ending? Well, that often nearly kills a fiction book for me. But OH, not this one. It
Rachel Hall
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Opening in the remote arctic north of Sweden, close to Lapland, with a bewitching hunt for a wounded bear at large through the woodlands, the discovery that its stomach contains not only the fur of a recently consumed dog, but what are very clearly human remains spreads like wildfire. From this startling introduction, the pace turns decidedly more sedate and almost flounders as readers are introduced to District Prosecutor Rebecka Martinsson and her former childhood community of Kiruna. ...more
Minty McBunny
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of UK/Scandinavian crimwe
Oh, this book. It was almost unutterably wonderful.

To me, Rebecka Martinsson is the best Scandinavian crime fiction out there. I love Inspector Sejer, I love Kari Vaara, I like Department Q, VanVeeteren, Patrik Hedstrom & Erika Falk, etc... but this series just beats them all.

If Tana French's writing is the literary equivalent of haute cuisine, challenging, complex and unattainable to mere mortals, Larsson's writing is more like home cooking done by an acclaimed chef. It's comforting and
Scott Parsons
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book by Asa Larsson that I have read. Although it is a Scandinavian crime thriller I found it to be quite different from the work of Jo Nesbo and Jussi Adler-Olsen. My overall impression is that it is better constructed and written than the novels by these other two authors even though I have enjoyed the Harry Hole and Department Q series. Perhaps this impression is enhanced by the isolated northern Sweden setting compared with the usual settings inhabited by urban criminals.

Anna
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Scandinavian crime
Shelves: 2014, netgalley
The earlier books of the series were good; this is even better*. And it works perfectly also as a standalone book. More please!

Åsa Larsson's forte is in creating brilliant, true-to-life characters in a setting that's both very exotic (Northern Sweden, part of Lapland... and where so many people and things are Finnish). Characters that are brilliant (and yet you wish this would be left as a book - so much more juicy and fun to imagine these people and places instead of having them pre-imagined
Richard
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is another wonderful novel from Asa Larsson, perhaps the best in the Rebecka Martinsson series. From the very beginning with the hunt for a wounded bear, the storytelling is all engaging. What I liked in this book is an older story is told in segments within the modern narrative. The writing is quite seamless and both accounts are easy to follow.
The plot is terrific and cleverly expounded, always holding your attention and demanding your full consideration. Martinsson doesn't get
Gloria Feit
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The newest entry in the Prosecutor Rebecka Martinsson series begins with the discovery of the carcass of a massive bear, evidence indicating that he had mauled and feasted upon a human victim. Not long after, in distant Kurravaara, Martinsson is assigned the investigation into the brutal killing of a woman, Sol-Britt Uusitalo, the daughter of the man identified as that victim, murdered in her bed; her seven-year-old grandson, who lived with her, is nowhere to be found. As the investigation ...more
Thomas Strömquist
Middle of the road Swedish thriller, occasionally odd dialog and actions of not great characters. Not very memorable.
Rosemary
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With all the rage for "Nordic Noir" these days, I'd somehow missed the work of Asa Larsson...seems like Jo Nesbo and others have gotten most of the limelight recently. This is the fifth in Larsson's series about prosecutor Rebekah Martinsson, a former Stockholm lawyer who's returned to her family's hometown in Kiruna, in the north of Sweden...and you can bet I'm going to be tracking down the first four books to read as soon as possible.

There's something about Larsson's plotting that reminds me
Sue
I received this ARC of "The Second Deadly Sin" by Asa Larsson, from NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. I wish to also thank MacLehose Press for allowing me to read this novel....A Scandinavian Crime Thriller.

This is book #5 in the series, but it still works as a standalone book. This mystery is scheduled to be released in e-book format in August 2014.This is my first Asa Larsson novel, and I'll be looking into readings others, especially the previous four in the series. I found District
Sharon
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a read! Wish they translated this author faster! Excellent and more than 5/5! Lapland, what a place, what a history of the mines WWI time in Kiruna and then the nature and climate. Found the old story of Elina and Lizzie good and the back and forth then and now well constructed with excellent story flow. Rebecca and her colleagues, neighbours and dogs well told. The power struggle within the police and basically bad cop, good cops. Community losers and good folk. There were some very hard ...more
Lili
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction, kindle, a
Another enjoyable read, the characters are wonderfully real although they inhabit a world I know little about and I wonder at their ability to live and function in such an inhospitable environment. This author really does have the ability to hold the reader captivated in what I thought was an especially poignant story.
Ken Fredette
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book so far that Åsa Larsson has written. She's over her previous boyfriend, has a new and better love and has a small boy to visit very frequently. The mystery was incredibly hard to figure out but it makes sense.
Fernanda
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best Rebecka Martinsson novel - or maybe I just love them all so much I was delighted to read yet another one. What a great book, Asa!!!
Kathy Davie
Fifth in the Rebecka Martinsson history + contemporary mystery series based in Kurravaara, Sweden.

I received this ARC from the publisher.

My Take
Once past the disconcerting start and Larssons introduction of her reason for this look back in time, Larsson keeps it evenly split between today and 1914 and on.

It takes awhile before it ties in to the rest of the story that follows. More tears will follow when Erikkson unexpectedly surprises Marcus, and how Erikkson copes with that. Of course, Marcus
Jim Angstadt
The Second Deadly Sin (Rebecka Martinsson #5)
Asa Larsson

Rebecka Martinsson is a talented District Prosecutor in a rural area of northern Sweden. She has a history of insight and analysis that has lead to convictions and justice. Yet, at the start of an investigation, she is taken off the case. Officially on leave, she continues her investigation, assisted by a police dog handler, a police inspector, a neighbor, a pathologist, and a few others.

Along the way, there are plenty of others for one not
Nonobstant
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really fond of Åsa Larsson series with Rebecka Martinsson. As usual, the novel is divided between the actual investigation and flashbacks - that seem at first unrelated to the investigation - allowing at the end the reader to understand the reasons for the crime.
The novel gives the reader a nice description of the life in Swedish Lapland around 1914. I really liked the flashbacks as always. The investigation and characters were nice too. I liked the story.
However, I thought the ending has
Rosa Macpherson
Rebecca is starting to feel like a dangerous person to be around! However , I did enjoy the two strand stories and whilst as enjoyable as ever the books are starting to feel a wee bit formulaic regarding our protagonist. Lovely characters though as juicily nasty ones too.
Bonnie Wilson
Another Scandinavian crime writer ... both bewildering and interesting enough to forge on ... I found the denouement rather improbable but the characters and tale kept me engaged while I was reading.
Ice Bear
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We probably knew where this was heading, just needed to fill in some of the gaps. Our heroine, a label that she tries to avoid, works better from the outside than within the justice system.
Jen
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The Second Deadly Sin

I really like this series featuring Rebecka Martinsson, and this latest addition does not disappoint.

Prosecutor Rebecka Martinsson and Inspector Anna-Maria Mella are once again on a case when Sol-Britt Uusitalo is found murdered and her grandson missing.

Rebecka's friend Krister Ericksson, a police dog handler, finds Marcus, but the boy is unable to provide information about what took place. Then Rebecka is side-lined by obnoxious fellow prosecutor, Car Von Post (the Pest).
Brynjar Orn
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 5th Rebecka Martinsson book by Asa Larsson, I sure hope there will be more of them I can read.
I'm giving it 5 stars, if I could give it 6 stars I would.
Reading the book reviews here at goodreads ( after I have finished reading it ) I have to agree with many of them, stating for example it being the best of Asa's books on Rebecka. Others have commented also on one of the deaths in the final conclusions ( I'm not going to mention who, not to give anything away ), but I have to agree,
Gisela Hafezparast
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Really enjoyed this latest book. I have read the first book of the series and now the last one (monthly group read) and there has been clear and interesting developments in the characters and new interesting ones have been introduced. Have to try and fill in the in-between asap. Really like the way Larsson describes the nature, history and people of the most northern part of Sweden and Kiruna. Story, history and countryside seem always very well interwoven. Whilst I love dogs, I am not a huge ...more
K
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but not great addition to the Nordic noir genre. I thought the plot intriguing and it contained a good twist. However, the author's method of tying intergenerational threads, which are essential to the ultimate plot, was somewhat distracting and at times, added characters / names that were difficult to track. This could have been a four star book, but for this and a few other weak spots in character development. Still, I'm pleased to read Asa Larsson's contributions to one of my favorite ...more
Roger
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Second Deadly Sin is the second book (ironically enough) of Asa Larsson's that I have read. I loved The Blood Spilt and so expected great things from this novel-I was not disappointed. Rebecka Martinsson is a winning protagonist-I think I will have to track down all of her adventures. This book features a great and twisted mystery and no, Constant Reader, you will not see it coming. It is beautifully done.
Vanessa
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Who doesn't like a good mystery novel with serial killers? I had no clue who the killer was until the reveal started. There is even a murder in the back story. I was so impressed with this that I intend to go back and read the other books in the series. I'd like for there to be another one after this so that I can find out what happens to the characters. I became very emotionally attached to the characters. This was very well written.
Kiesha
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alicen
I scored this as an advanced reader copy at ALA this summer. It reminded me of something I might see on my friend Alicen's reading list so I decided to give it a shot before passing the copy along to her.

I was pleasantly surprised. The translation at first seemed a bit jumpy and stilted, but as I moved through the text I decided that must be the original writing style. It worked well given the crime-mystery genre.
Ann
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Asa Larsson once again show her prowess as a writer. Another book that is hard to put down once you have started it. Once again we are faced with Rebecka confronting her past with the present and finding a string to pull. Inspector Anna-Maria is left on her own as her partner is still dealing with the last orders he had from her.
Between the 2 woman they are able to over come the horror of what has happened to others lives and find something new in theirs.
Karen
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Asa Larsson novel. I will definitely read more. The characters are well-developed, and I loved the interactions between them. The location is as important to the story as the people. In this book, there is a present day murder to solve, intertwined with the story of a past love affair and murder. Both stories are compelling and nicely complement one another.
miteypen
Probably the best Rebecka Martinsson novel so far. The mystery was intriguing and the way the story kept going back and forth in time gave it depth. It did get a little confusing trying to keep track of the multigenerational threads, which is why I didn't give it four stars. But I would still recommend this book to anyone interested in Nordic noir.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Inheritance (spoiler) 2 9 Nov 11, 2014 02:49PM

• Flaskepost fra P (Afdeling Q, #3)
  • Night Rounds (Inspector Huss #2)
  • Blodläge (The Öland Quartet #3)
  • Furðustrandir (Inspector Erlendur #11)
  • The Glass Devil (Inspector Huss #4)
  • Lucifer's Tears (Inspector Kari Vaara, #2)
  • Someone to Watch Over Me (Þóra Guðmundsdóttir, #5)
  • Fjällgraven  (Sebastian Bergman, #3)
  • When the Devil Holds the Candle (Konrad Sejer, #4)
  • Fyrvaktaren (Patrik Hedström, #7)
  • Hunting Game
  • The Disappeared (Fredrika Bergman & Alex Recht, #3)
  • The Cruel Stars of the Night
  • The Inspector and Silence (Inspector Van Veeteren #5)
  • Autumn Killing
  • What Never Happens (Vik & Stubø, #2)
  • The Darkest Room (The Öland Quartet, #2)
  • Rörgast (The Öland Quartet #4)
Åsa Larsson is a Swedish crime-writer. Although born in Uppsala, she was raised in Kiruna in the far north. Prior to becoming a full-time writer, Larsson was a tax lawyer, a profession she shares with the heroine of her novels, Rebecka Martinsson.

Series:
* Rebecka Martinsson

Rebecka Martinsson (5 books)
  • Sun Storm (Rebecka Martinsson, #1)
  • The Blood Spilt (Rebecka Martinsson, #2)
  • The Black Path (Rebecka Martinsson, #3)
  • Until Thy Wrath be Past (Rebecka Martinsson, #4)