Start by marking “Headache [Cuento]” as Want to Read:
Headache [Cuento]

Headache [Cuento]

The late Julio Cortázar was a sickly child and spent many hours in bed. Perhaps those memories inspired “Cefalea,” the feverish story of the care and feeding of fantastical creatures called the mancuspias, which debuted in his 1951 collection Bestiario. Tor.com is proud to share with you “Headache,” the first ever English translation of “Cefalea.”

The rights to translate “
Published September 3rd 2014 by tor.com (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Headache [Cuento], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Headache [Cuento]

Start your review of Headache [Cuento]
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈

c is for Cortazar

Oi. I kind of feel like an asshole for not liking this one. Because Julio Cortazar is an author I've been meaning to read. And a lot of people like his stories and novels a lot. This one just didn't do it for me.

Cortazar writes in symbolic and sometimes very beautiful prose. He describes these headaches he gets sometimes with painfully vivid detail. He likens the whole experience to one of taking care of some mythical creatures known as mancuspias. And as the mancuspias increase
Badseedgirl
Dec 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
I don't know if it was the translation, or if I am just not smart enough, but I could not make heads or tales of this stilted and confusing short story.
Kate
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories

I have headaches. I had a headache when I was reading this. The descriptions of headaches were brilliant.

"So much for sleeping, no one sleeps with open eyes; we’re dying of fatigue but a little nod-off is enough to make us feel vertigo crawling, swinging in the skull, as if the head were full of living things spinning around and around inside."

"Yes, the headaches come on with a violence that can hardly be described. Sensation of ripping, of burning in the brain, in the scalp, with fear, with

Sep 10, 2014 rated it liked it
The many & varied descriptions of headaches in this story are wonderfully (almost painfully) vivid. I captures the debilitation that a nasty headache can bring with it too. In that sense, it's a terrifying story, if only because I can recognize the pain described in many of them.
Alex Sarll
Furry creatures are raised, ailments suffered - both described in great detail, but with enough details omitted that one remains more mystified with each fresh explanation. The only other piece I know by him is 'Axolotl', but based on two data points, he was very good at strange.
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Extremely bizarre. Vivid descriptions of the suffering felt during headaches and more oblique descriptions of creatures that may or may not be causing the suffering. I'm not sure how the two parts of this story relate, but weird.
Sep 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks-online, sff
I think this might require another read-through.
E.A.
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it
The excellent prose captured my attention more than the story. I will have to read more of Cortázar's work.
Juan
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
A weird, eccentric short story by one of the greats.
Marco
Jan 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
What a bizarre story! I am told that Julio Cortázar was a sickly child and spent many hours in bed. Perhaps those memories inspired this story that focuses so much on headaches.
Baiba
Chang
Nov 27, 2014
Cláudia Costa
Sep 03, 2014

• The Black Tides of Heaven (Tensorate, #1)
  • The Haunting of Tram Car 015
  • The Black God's Drums
  • The Dead
  • Stranger Things Happen
  • The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere
  • Five Ways to Fall in Love on Planet Porcelain
  • The Red Threads of Fortune (Tensorate #2)
  • The Last Novelist (or, A Dead Lizard in the Yard)
  • On a Red Station, Drifting
  • After the Coup (Old Man's War, #4.5)
  • A Dead Djinn in Cairo
  • The Builders
  • Gods, Monsters, and the Lucky Peach
  • Slow Bullets
  • Allamagoosa
  • Lightspeed Magazine, January 2018
  • The Cat Who Walked a Thousand Miles
Julio Cortázar, born Julio Florencio Cortázar Descotte, was an Argentine author of novels and short stories. He influenced an entire generation of Latin American writers from Mexico to Argentina, and most of his best-known work was written in France, where he established himself in 1951.