Start by marking “Fraudster” as Want to Read:
Fraudster

Read Book* *Different edition

Fraudster

There are people who will do anything to silence those who come in their way, who will stop at nothing, including murder.

A young banker is found dead a day after she deposes before a commission investigating large-scale financial fraud...
A doyen of corporate India falls to his death from his South Bombay flat...
A high-security server room of a multinational accounting firm
Published July 25th 2014 by Hachette (first published July 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Fraudster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fraudster

Start your review of Fraudster
Jairam Mohan
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not too many authors set their narratives in a corporate setting, let alone within a financial services firm like a bank. RV Raman does this with Fraudster and man, does he do an awesome job or what.

All his decades of experience working with the sector and his knowledge of the various nitty-gritties of the sector, the various loopholes that unscrupulous characters can take advantage of and a healthy desire to rack up the suspense for the readers ensures that the book is a gripping read.

Murders
Qube
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crime fiction readers, business executive, studenst
To me, this is among the best crime fiction novels from India.

– As a thriller, the pace is unrelenting and the situations varied.
– As a mystery, it is among the best locked-room mysteries I have come across (including foreign authors’). All clues are hidden in plain sight, and yet, the criminal is not apparent. The author withholds nothing from the reader.
– As a corporate fiction, it is credible and feels authentic.

A fuller review here.
Soumya Mukherjee
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
http://soumyamukherjee8.wordpress.com... Fraudster – A Review
Paisa Vasool.
R V Raman’s Fraudster published by Hachette, is a 289 page turner giving you your Rs 250 money’s worth.
Raman uses his insider knowledge of the financial and corporate world to give us a coherent believable whodunit which keeps you gripped till the climax.
It draws on the Bank scam that made headlines a while ago, and exposed their vulnerability. It starts with an enquiry, where a junior executive is being made a scapego
Rumm
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crime fiction fans, mystery lovers
Shelves: indian-authors
A nice combination of a mystery and a thriller that is written in an erudite manner.

The drawing showing the layout of the first crime scene took me back to some of the Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie novels. Like in those novels, the author provides all the clues and doesn't conceal anything, inviting the reader to guess. While I had suspicions, I can't say that I guessed who the culprit was or how the crime was done. But when it is all explained at the denouncement, I wondered why I hadn't
Uday Kanth
This book is just unputdownable! I pulled an all nighter to complete this and I remembered the last time I did something like that was only for Angels and Demons!!

This book has everything great going for it. A very authentic banking sector premise, believable characters, taut narration, unexpected twists and turns and a deception that no one sees coming. Really, what else do you need?

There's almost zero pandering/spoon-feeding to the crowd; the author makes the reader decipher the clues along
Abhisar Singh
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Speechless is the only word I can think of. RV Raman has done to me what the likes of Ken Follet, Jeffery Archer, Robert Ludlum do. By far it's the best thriller by an Indian writer. Chetan Bhagat and Amish of the world do not even come close to his league. The only Indian author that I can think of sharing the space is legendary Khushwant Singh.
Hats off to Mr Raman.
Priyanka Batra Harjai
Fraudster by RV Raman is a Crime fictional novel that revolves around a corporate set up in India and a fraud looming dark over it.

The mystery is tight and you feel like your own brain cells coming into action and contemplating who the game planner is! Though, crime is visible but the criminal is hidden. Nowhere, you will feel that any fact or finding or development has been kept on hold to be shared later on. It is as authentic and as realistic, as it could be! The characters are inspired from
Manpreet Kaur
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fraudster is a crime thriller which begins with death of a number of people and then comes the investigation part. There is something really serious going on in the corporate world and the book is about what goes on the darker side.
The book is written really nicely with each part given a very good attention and also the plot is built very nicely. It builds up lot of anticipation and then at the end gives you a shock. But if you are good at being a detective, you can try guessing.
I am glad I pi
Elizabeth Thomas
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
Excellent book by one of my favourite writer. Like my first read of the author, I love how his expertise in the area of interest make you read the book without putting it down.
SL
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Fraudster is an amusing work by first-time author, RV Raman, challenging some of the stereotypes in the genre of thrillers. It is a crime fiction but does not revolve around knife-wielding killers or mere hapless victims. It is a financial thriller set in the corporate world, but doesn’t include credit card frauds and account hacking. At the centre of the book is a scam pertaining to dubious loans issued by corrupt bank practices to spurious real estate companies. The way the book is pieced toge ...more
Manpreet Kaur
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fraudster amazing read. Completed it in one go. Mr. Raman has done justice to the readers expectations and his awesome writing skills keeps you glued to the story. Its a story about the deep shit that happens in financial world. The industry seems very lucrative to many, but people always forget the responsibility of managing assets is never easy. Mr. Raman has given a glimpse of this financial sector. Believe me and him too its a mean world.
Yahana
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tight plot and pacy action took me hurtling towards a tense climax, making light of my 7-hour train journey. Insight into the top echelons of corporate India and the banking industry was an added bonus. Enjoyed the crisp, non-nonsense style. Books like this will help raise the bar for Indian writing.
Nihilus
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crime fiction lovers, Indian writing fans
Shelves: favorites
An absorbing read that doesn't resort to sleaze and sensationalism to retain the reader's interest. Good plot, good language, crisply written and topical. ...more
Swathi Kiranmayee Manchili
Surprisingly a good novel!

R V Raman's debut novel 'Fraudster' is a thriller set in the world of high corporate circles and renowned bankers.. It starts with a murder followed by murders of two highly respected personalities of the corporate world. Then the story is about how Inspector Ranade with the help of bunch of others connect the dots to solve the mystery and find the fraudster. This book reminds me of Ravi Subramanian's works as the setup is very similar. I liked the pacy narration, unexp
Geeta Nair
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First let me thank Goodreads and the author R V Raman for having provided me an opportunity to read this wonderful book. I won this at a giveaway on goodreads.

Storyline – Interesting, intriguing, insightful. The plot is topical and gripping right from the word 'go'. 'Fraudster' is not just an ordinary crime- thriller or murder mystery. It is an insight into the greed, the treachery lurking inside the corridors of Corporate India. It is a story of corruption, manipulations and the rot that has se
Suyash Karangutkar
Frankly, I am running short of words to appreciate this wonderful novel. I am speechless after having read this amazing thriller. So without wasting a single more minute, I am getting to my review on Fraudster by R V Raman.

A committee is set up to investigate into a possible fraud and a female banker who deposes before the commission is found dead. The police aren’t able to ascertain whether it is a murder or suicide. Subsequently, two corporates are found murdered under mysterious circumstance
Writersmelon

The plot is tight and devoid of sensationalization. It is realistic. The author's knowledge and his financial background have come in handy thereby giving it a touch of authenticity.

Read the full review: http://www.writersmelon.com/2014/1
Shaivi
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is a brilliant effort to showcase the turn of events when a banking fraud turns ugly…how one fraud can affect the lives of many others.Being related to a specific industry, it’s important for the author to explain the technicalities to the diverse set of readers. And he has done so with finesse, without making it too heavy for the readers.The book delivers what it promises

For complete review, visit my blog http://shaivikafunda.blogspot.in/2014...
GAURAV
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Awesome single sitting read.

I had read about indian companies fleecing banks but this fiction is mind blowing.. appears like a real story.. Awesome read especially for those who take interest in current affairs and are intrigued by the status of corruption in India.
Ek.Aur.Kitabi.Keeda
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-own-it
You just can't put this book down!!!
I decided to read all of RV Raman's book once I finished reading Conspirator.

An absolute page-turner which indulges the reader into the financial sector - banks, loans,etc scams & frauds. Once I started I had to finish at the earliest. The writing is simple yet gripping & will keep you at the edge of the seat. All the twists & turns will leave you interested, confused & alert all at the same time.

The author knows how to keep the reader involved, has great in
Vijay (VJ)
A surprisingly good novel. Surprising because I hadn't expected such a robust plot and good writing from an unknown Indian writer. Surprising because the Indian writing shelves seldom throw up a good crime fiction read.

There is also some nuanced wring here -
"Retirement! Could he finally get away from the politics of greed?"
"The psychological glass wall that separated Asians from the locals came to her aid. The invisible wall that was the lament of so many from the subcontinent became her saviou
Shinju
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
an action packed fiction.Once i started with this novel, it was un-put-downable!!!! The narration was flawless and the story was strong.The explanation of banking terms were so clear that even a layman can understand it.the suspense was well built and the end was crystal clear.all in all it makes for very good reading and i will be looking forward to for his future books.
Shreya Bothra
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haven't read a more gripping read in the longest time and I'm completely blown. The plot and the subplot have been created so amazingly that it just doesn't let you stop for once. So impressed and equally shocked at how in reality such events take place and we the common man is far far away from it. ...more
Sudha Bellamkonda
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-india
Financial crime thriller - among the very best in the genre. The author does a great job explaining the details behind the wide-spread real estate white collar crime in India along with some very believable characters.

Someone make this in to a movie already!!
Deepty
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved to read it...finished in one go!!!
Pratibha Pandey
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indian-fiction
4.5/5 ! a good thriller :)
Bhushan Surve
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
awesome book...u can't keep it down when u start it... ...more
Anurag Paul
the climax of the book killed the story.. it felt like the author was in a hurry and want to end the story in whatsoever manner..
Aayesha Khan
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fraudster. By far, the best thriller by an Indian writer. Books like these will help raise the bar for Indian writing.

An absorbing read that doesn't resort to sensationalism to retain the reader's interest. Good plot, good language and crisply written.

A tight plot and racy action took me hurtling towards a tense climax. Insight into the top echelons of corporate India and the banking industry was an added bonus. Believe me, it's a mean, murky world.

Mr. Raman has done justice to the readers expe
Amit
Dec 31, 2020 rated it liked it
This one had a pretty interesting storyline with lots of twists and red herring peppered across the chapters. Having said that, I wish the writing in the middle third was crisp. It's too simplistic, gets into a narrative style of telling what's playing out. I might have lost the patience, but it was the rapid pacing of the plot that kept me going. I also wish a few subplots and characters were edited out - it becomes tiresome to follow.

A promising debut nonetheless.
« previous 1 3 next »

• One Arranged Murder
  • Suheldev & the Battle of Bahraich (Indic Chronicles #1)
  • The Eleventh Commandment
  • Hidden in Plain Sight (Detective William Warwick, #2)
  • Spies, Lies & Red Tape: A Spy-Military-Political Fiction Thriller based on the Indian Subcontinent
  • A Brutal Hand: There's No Escape (SHORTZ)
  • Don't Tell The Governor
  • Insomnia: Keep Your Eyes Open (SHORTZ)
  • God is a Gamer
  • The Heist Artist
  • Nothing Lasts Forever: No Secret can Stay Buried..
  • The Indigo Story: Inside the Upstart that Redefined Indian Aviation
  • The Vault of Vishnu
  • Chanakya's Chant
  • 3 and a Half Murders
  • Doosra: The Other One
  • The Devil's Alternative
  • Lipstick
ABOUT MY CORPORATE THRILLERS

Surely, there must be men like Professor Moriarty in corporate India. They may not be such intellectual colossuses or consummate masters, but they would share some key traits with him – wile, ingenuity, drive and utter ruthlessness. And they would understand the psychology of temptation.

What kind of schemes would such men device? That is the question I seek to answer th