Start by marking “The One That Got Away” as Want to Read:
The One That Got Away

The One That Got Away

There’s something about that one person we date in our teens but never become intimate with. Why does a sexless relationship render us unable to stop carrying that person, the what if, with us into our adult life?

For Heidi Johnson, Shane Hughes is her “one that got away.” Through the years, he has stayed in the back of her mind while she became an adult, a mother, and her
Published February 13th 2015 (first published December 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The One That Got Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One That Got Away

Justine Mcfadyen
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"You'll soon see I've made the right choice ." I hung up so she wouldn't hear my voice crack while tears rolled down my face .

Shane Hughes is not the popular guy at uni that you expect but has a good group of friends that he can go drinking , clubbing with, generally muck about with . Shane has had a crush on Heidi for what seems like forever but eventually at a nightclub with a little liquid lubrication plucks up the courage to go over and chat to her not realising that she has a crush on him
L.J. Harris
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this story for an honest review.

As with all Feeney's stories, The One that Got Away once again hit the mark.

I loved the romance between Shane and Heidi. Shane is one of those likable, authentic guys who develops a crush on the lovely Heidi when the two of them are teenagers. Fast forward 15 years, where their lives have grown and changed, and they run into one another again.

The One that Got Away is a story about first love, second chances, and finding out that when you do o
Jan
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
A second chance romance

Heidi and Shane where Highschool sweethearts that got seperated through circumstances.

Years later they have attend a Highschool reunion were their relationship rekindled.

A straight forward plot told in dual pov's. There's no heavy drama or angst, it is what it is.

What confused me was the Epilogue. 18 years later and a character called Stephen getting ready to go to Uni? now an epilogue normally contains a hea for the couple you have just read about and sometimes a sli
K.E.
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of The One That Got Away, and I can honestly say that this book is fantastic.

It starts off with Shane and Heidi as teenagers, and then fast forwards fifteen years, where they meet again at a high school reunion, and discover that the chemistry between them is still just as strong as it once was.

I read this book in one afternoon, it was a fun and easy read with very likeable characters that are very easy to connect to. This is the kinda book that you can curl up
Book-Lover Book Blog
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*REVIEW ARC IN EXCHANGE FOR HONEST REVIEW*
....One word....Shane <3
He's not described as this super popular guy like you see in any other book, but he has his circle or friends while the girl he crushes is in another circle. They don't realise their attraction to each other til pushed to together via a mutual friend. Then it goes to 15 years later....

A light, heart warming, leg clenching ;) story. A fantastic read that I couldn't put down. I can't wait for this to be released to I can recommen
K.M. Lowe
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good!

This was the first book that I had read by M.B Feeney, so I had no idea what to expect. I will say that it won't be my last hook though. I really enjoyed this story. It wasn't too long either, and it got straight to the point. In would have liked more, but I enjoyed what I read. Second chances really do happen, if you let them.
Keren Hughes
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
oh my goodness, this book was just what I needed. After having read two heart-wrenching books, this sweet love story was the tonic I needed.
Shane struck me as the perfect guy. He's unbelievably adorable and so in love with Heidi, even if he can't see it at first. And as for Heidi, she has a tendency to guard her heart after Jason being an award winning A-hole. But this story explores first loves and what can happen if you open up to giving that person a second chance.
A beautifully written nove
Christina Szczepan-santos
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as an ARC, MB Feeney is a brilliant author.
This is a sweet love story of Shane and Heidi.
I highly recommend reading this story you won't be disappointed.
Honestly I wish it were longer, I loved it!
R.E. Hargrave
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been a fan of Ms. Feeney for quite some time now, and her latest offering hasn’t changed my opinion at all. Except to cement my adoration for her work. She always writes with a crisp, clean style and engaging dialogue between her characters which brings heaps of realism to the party.
In The One That Got Away we meet Heidi and Shane, two characters who are clearly meant for each other but need a few years to figure it out. With most contemporary romances we see the girl second-guessing everyt
Vikki Love
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Heidi now a mother is endearing with her sense of humour, but never quite got over her first love, and is now trying to get on with life after Jason, the father of her children.

Shane is now with Mel, his girlfriend but not quite fulfilled in his relationship, as Heidi is always at the back of his mind. With his regret of letting her go fifteen years ago.

When they finally meet at a school reunion there is definitely sexual tension between to two of them.

But what will become of them?

From the momen
M.C. Rayne
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I waited and waited for this author to have a new release, and was thrilled to have an advance read of her current novel.TOTGA is a modern romance about a pair of young lovers who never quite got over each other when they broke up as teenagers, so when they meet again years later at a class reunion they start to remember what they lost.

This is a page turner, one everyone who loved modern romance will enjoy. It's very well written and a read I recommend to others.

Looking forward to more from thi
Jeanne McDonald
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MB Feeney has a sweet way with words and this book, to me, is her best work yet. The characters stand out as real, and the plot is believable and well developed. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants a good, fast read, with heart and a side of spice.
Coco.V
Dec 05, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
💝 FREE on Amazon today (12/05/2017)! 💝
Tori Tee
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A story of second chances, Heidi and Shane never really got over their short relationship with each other before it was cut short by a poor choice. Rekindled love, chance reunions and a bond that cannot be broken, The One That Got Away has something in there for everyone.

Honestly, I don't know where to start with this book as absolutely everything, and there's really no exaggeration there, is spot on. The characters, the pace, the plot, the sex (so proud Feeney added in some extra scenes!) - It'
Aurora Hamilton
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

Really enjoyed the story between Shane and Heidi. Although the epilogue completely confused me. It didn't conclude the story in my opinion and would have been better from Heidi and Shane's POV as grandparents.
Sassy Moms Say Read Romance
I was give an Arc for an honest review. 5 Kisses This book was just what the doctor ordered for me. I love the sweetness of Heidi and Shane. When I first started reading this book I was unsure if I was going to like it because of the HS content. While it was cute, I just wasn’t sure. But I pushed myself and I am glad I did. This is a story of long lost love and rekindled fire. This book may be a quick read, but it packs everything you need in a romance book.
Dawn
I received and arc for an honest r
Carrie Renteria
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow.. what can I say other than I love second chance romances and thats exactly what you have with The One That Got Away its the perfect second chance romance story and MB. Feeney does a fantastic job with creating this amazing storyline with these fantastic characters! I absolutely fell in love with this story right from the beginning.

The One That Got Away is about second chances Heidi and Shane truly never got over the incredibly short lived relationship that the two of them had that ended ea
Cheryl
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review of The One That Got Away by M.B. Feeney

Review done for Hooked on Books

4 out of 5 stars

Shane Hughes made a horrible mistake back in high school letting his first love go. He thought he was doing the right thing for her but for twelve years he has suffered with his choice.

Heidi Johnson was in love with Shane Hughes and was devastated when he broke up with her. She didn’t understand why and never forgot about him.

Twelve years later they connect again on line. Heidi is now divorced from her c
Rebecca Austin
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a great book about having that second chance with the one person you never really had much of a first chance with.

Heidi Johnson fell for Shane Hughes in high school until he broke it not long into their relationship. Fifteen years later she is a single mom of two kids and ready to go to her high school reunion with her best friend Angela James.

Shane Hughes regrets ending it with Heidi Johnson back in high school and he has never forgotten her, even if he is in a relationship with Mel.

W
Hooked On Books
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 out of 5 stars

Twelve years later they connect again on line. Heidi is now divorced from her cheating husband and Shane is in a relationship. They talk over text or Facebo
Dawn
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received and arc for an honest review, and I have to say I absolutely LOVED it. We meet Heidi and Shane when they are teens and Shane has just made the ultimate move by asking Heidi to be his girlfriend. And what starts out as a dream come true for Heidi, it soon changes because like most young relationships one if not both are a bit insecure and let other events influence their decisions in life. Shane takes it upon himself to not only cause heartbreak for Heidi but for himself as well ( your ...more
Mary Devereaux
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well told romance... Sweet story with the perfect amount of steam between Heidi and Shane.
It's nice to find a romance where the woman is self reliant, somewhat unapologetic for just being who she is, and doesn't half the time wondering "How can he love poor little me?"
So many romance stories create a pitiful heroine who almost desperately needs the hero to make her feel worthy of life itself. Not Heidi. From her decision to go to the reunion to the gift she gives Shane later on, she's taken con
Lisa Bilbrey
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I got the chance to read The One That Got Away by M.B. Feeney, I grabbed it with both hands. I've been a fan of Ms. Feeney's since her first book, and one of the things I've noticed about her writing is how much she's grown as a storyteller. And in my opinion, this book is her best yet. The love story between Heidi and Shane was so realistic. The attraction was there, but it wasn't the cliched loved-at-first-sight kind. The characters had real problems, real doubts, and they were written in ...more
MELODY
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just when I needed something refreshing and sweet - The one that got away fell into my lap. What a wonderful lovely story! The story starts out with Heidi and Shane as teenagers - they are that sweet first love that we all have had once. Shane doesn't do well on his exams for university so he has to leave. He breaks Heidi's heart. Fast, forward 12 years. Heidi is a divorce Mom of two and getting away to her reunion. In recent months she has been talking to Shane on the internet. What will happen ...more
Laurie Dennison
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done
This makes the 3 book my Mich that I have read and like the others, I loved it. Mich is an amazing writer and her stories are always so engaging and her characters are well rounded and you are able to picture them from how they are written.

Have you ever let your "one" get away? This story deals with that and what happens when you get the chance to get back in contact them again.

Heidi met Shane was she was in Uni and they dated and were really good together but Shane got scared and left her. Ye
CrazyDaisy
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Crazy Ass Stars!!!

Ok, I want to start off honestly and say, I hate cheating of any kind. I almost didn't finish reading this because of it. I'm so glad I didn't stop reading though. It was a great story that had me glued to my kindle until 3 am and then picking back it back up when my eyes popped open at 7 am. My first though when I woke was, "dammit, I fell asleep before I finished reading."

Yes, there was cheating involved in this story but it wasn't the center of the whole story. At the c
The BookAddict Mom
Aug 30, 2015 rated it liked it
The One That Got Away by M. B. Feeney is a second chance romance with an HEA. This was an easy, light read that I truly enjoyed up until about the 40% mark, but then I felt the author started spending too much time focusing on the characters' mundane daily activities versus the development of the characters reconnection. Huge gaps suddenly appeared, and the sizzle that once heated up the pages during the reunion at the club never even made the slightest reappearance! What confused me most was th ...more
Jennifer Pierson
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this story! Heidi Johnson always felt that Shane Hughes was the one that got away. Throughout the years, he's always been in the back of her mind. Shane has lived a life of regret because of his dumb decision to let Heidi go. When they find each other on social media, they decide to meet up at their reunion.

The One that Got Away was a brilliant second chance at first love story. Not going to lie, I wanted it to be longer so very badly. Totally felt my heart skip a beat at thei
Sharilyn Dickerson
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-kindle
I am a HUGE fan of second chance romances! So, I was definitely rooting for Shane and Heidi from the start.

I will say that parts of the book and their rekindled relationship felt a bit rushed. With that being said, I felt like it had a strong storyline and characters. I liked that Heidi was very self-confident in what she wanted and didn't want. I also really appreciated that she wasn't a whiny and clingy woman when things didn't immediately come back together for them.

The ending? It was definit
Sarah Connolly
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think that everyone has that one person that we class as 'the one that got away' and I think that is why this book hit so hard with me personally. The story is so easy to relate to, thinking about that one person that you wish things could have happened differently with. I was rooting for Heidi and Shane from the start for this very reason. M B Feeney has developed a strong female character who knows exactly what she wants, and she certainly went out to get it. Shane is just what every girl wa ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Join M. B's FB reader group for exclusive material and updates on her books ➤ http://bit.ly/2tlEAp7
Facebook ➤ http://bit.ly/2hGmv9V
Twitter ➤ http://bit.ly/1qzOcW1

M. B. Feeney is an army brat who finally settled down in Birmingham, UK with her other half, two kids and a dog. She often procrastinates by listening to music of all genres and trying to get ‘just one more paragraph’ written on whichever