Start by marking “The Runaway Bridegroom” as Want to Read:

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  339 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Chanda Maheshwari’s family is shaken when her thirteen-year-old bridegroom Veerendra runs away immediately after the wedding. The eight-year-old child doesn’t even understand the impact on her life. Unable to face their neighbours and friends, the Maheshwaris move from their village to Jaipur and begin a new life in the city.

Fourteen years later, Chanda is studying in a D
Published September 13th 2014 by Flaming Sun

To ask other readers questions about The Runaway Bridegroom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Runaway Bridegroom

Aditi
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the author, Sundari Ventakraman, for providing me with an advanced review copy of her new book, in return for an honest review.

Before beginning my review, I must mention that now I've read all of Sundari's books and I can conclude that her books are meant purely for enjoyment and to make you feel happy and light. To get that stress off your shoulders, sometimes, these romantically twisted stories are necessary. Her new book, The Runaway Bridegroom is one such book which screams "ENTER
Devika Fernando
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Looking for a book that entertains and makes you think, that is a great romance and yet deals with controversies? Then “The Runaway Bridegroom” by Sundari Venkatraman might well be the right choice for you. I was given an ARC for an honest review, and I’m glad about it because I feel in love with this story.
The story starts with a real shocker—and those are the best ways to catch the reader. The casual way in which the child marriage was handled by the people involved left me with an uneasy feel
Bhavya
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indian
The book and its characters win your heart. Her language is simple and easy to understand and the story flows smoothly. I love romances and am a sucker for happy endings and this book has made me immensely.
Read More here
Ahana Mukherjee
Reet Singh
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sundari Venkatraman creates simple, down-to-earth, female leads. Sunita Rishi, who became 'The Malhotra Bride' was gorgeous and shy – just to urge those who haven't read it - 'TMB' is my favorite from Sundari's stable.
'The Runaway Bridegroom' starts with a child marriage. The book is not a sermon on the rights or wrongs of child marriage. Instead, one gets a close look at the kind of culture that perpetuates it, and gets a sense of why it still pervades our country. Both the bride and the groom
Privy Trifles
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like the freshness Sundari brings to her stories, a breezy romance mixed with loads of smiles moments is what makes her a special author. She is one that I can recommend to one and all for her smooth narration and the power to connect with an ease through her simple yet touching stories.
Adiana Ray
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
REVIEW OF THE RUNAWAY BRIDEGROOM by Sundari Venkatraman.

On the face of it petite, attractive Chanda is a typical young Delhi college girl. She has her circle of friends, is carefree and independent and is studying to become a computer professional. So when she lands an internship with R.S Software it is a career opportunity that cannot be ignored. What nobody knows is that Chanda has a secret: she was married as a child and her husband abandoned her and ran away straight after the wedding. She i
Usha Narayanan
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sundari Venkatraman’s latest, The Runaway Bridegroom, catches your attention as soon as you see it. The vibrant cover by Unaiza Merchant, featuring a hunk and a hottie, is as snazzy as a movie poster. The opening scene grabs you by the throat too, but in a different way.

Eight-year old Chanda’s mother asks her to get ready for the ‘viewing’ by the groom’s family. Yes, the doll-like child is to be married to thirteen-year old Veera. The marriage takes place soon afterwards, but the groom disappear
Shilpa Garg
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it
I have enjoyed reading Sundari’s earlier novellas. So, when she asked me to read and review her latest book, I was quick to accept the offer. The Runaway Bridegroom is Sundari’s fourth novella that I finished reading, last week.
The attractive cover page of the book caught my eye and fired up my imagination and thus with great interest and anticipation I started reading the book. The Runaway Bridegroom started with a story-line that shocked and surprised me. Chanda is married when she is a eight
Nikita Jhanglani
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Judge this book by its brilliant cover!!!

The Runaway Bridegroom is the first book by Sundari that I’ve read, and I’m glad I did. I’ve heard a lot of praise for Sundari and her previous novels from the members of the various literary groups that I am a part of and I think it is totally justified.

The first thing about this book that had me bowled over was the cover. Amazingly done, it is one of the best covers I’ve seen so far.

TRB is the story of Chanda and Ranveer, both of whom are haunted by
Ruchi Singh
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
The Runaway Bridegroom catches your attention immediately with a stimulating title and fantastic cover.

It is a sweet, innocent love story which touches one of the malaises of Indian culture, i.e child marriage. Here I would like to highlight that the book doesn’t preach the right or wrong of the custom, but has created an interesting conflict and dilemma between the two protagonists, keeping us engrossed till the end. The story revolves around strong traditional and moral values inculcated in no
Inderpreet Uppal
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Can’t run from love.

This story makes us sit back and think about how lucky we are and how many things we take for granted in our lives. The story unfolds with a child marriage and even though in today’s day and age we think such things only happen in TV serials but that’s not true. If they are being discussed then the reason is that such an evil exists.

Kudos to Sundari for tacking such a sensitive topic like child marriage head on and coming out a winner. She has woven a tale of a family joined
Priyanka Batra Harjai
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Running away from marriage has been considered a taboo (since ages) in our Indian culture but that doesn’t stops from its occurrences. She intelligently mixes the concept of modern-day corporate romance with yet another taboo – ‘Child Marriage’ and makes an attempt to highlight its (unforeseen) consequences. Though she puts forward her opinions in a light tone but ends on a strong note i.e. ‘Love finds it way, come what may’.

The Runaway Bridegroom, is an interesting story of contrasting thoughts
Priti
Nov 25, 2014 rated it liked it
I loved the way the book was written with giving importance to not only the main characters but all the others too. Every character felt like an important part of the book. The book had an uninterrupted flow with an interesting twisting once in a while. Even the story of Shikha was interesting and funny. You would be pitying with her and feeling angry at the same time.
Over and all its a good book and I enjoyed reading it.

I would especially like to thank the author for writing about the child ma
Rubina
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Sundari Venkatraman always mixes a social cause with Romance. Though she tries her best to claim that she is not preaching, but just writing a romance, her short, airy romances end up making you question our dogmatic society. In this one- it was about the evils of child marriage, which sadly is still prevalent in our society.

Chanda -( a mix of Meena Kumari and Aliya Bhatt ???) is getting married. She is just an eight year old child. Reading about her, made me want to pick her up and abscond. Bu
Sujata Patnaik
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
‘The Runaway Bridegroom’ not only suggest a captivating title and book cover but delivers a captivating story as well. Author Sundari Venkatraman has woven a beautiful tale around love, romance, traditions, Indian family bondage and ethics. I appreciate the author for adopting the perception of child marriage and its reparation as the theme of her story
The system of child marriage although has wriggled out of a large part of Indian subcontinent, isn’t completely eliminated. Lack of awareness /
Shree
May 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Romance Lovers, Light Fiction readers
Note : This review was originally published in Book And Ink

The runaway bridegroom is a typical South Asian romance story that is set in against a backdrop of the social issue of child marriage.

The protagonists, Chanda and Veer are married at a very young age by traditional Rajasthani customs. Veer, being thoroughly disinterested in the concept of wedding in such a young age escapes after the wedding is complete leaving Chanda married and without a husband.

Fourteen years later, Chanda finally
Vishal
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A groom and a bride makes the perfect candy-floss love story, isn’t it? Trust Chetan Bhagat to take the syndrome of calf love to an octane level in the world of mushy mushy romance or Yash Chopra’s colorful swan swang (s) in the swiss alps!!! Ah! It reminds me DDLJ celebrated 1000 months. Sundari Venkatraman redefines DDLJ in her own wacky style the moment she touches the sensitive topic of child marriage, a real tragedy in part of the globe where the happening afflicts heart and lives. Not a du ...more
 Ashwini Gopalkrishnan
I received this book 'Runaway Bridegroom' by Sundari Venkatraman in a giveaway organized by Privy Trifles blog.
'Runaway Bridegroom' is Sundari Venkatraman fourth book .She has written the book in a very beautiful manner describing the child-marriages happening in our country .Though she has solved the problems of the main characters who were victims of child-marriage at the end. But the dilemma of protagonists and their families are very well described in an interesting way .The emotion of the c
Sumeetha Manikandan
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Many a time when a story is based on a social evil, there is a tendency for the author to get preachy. But Sundari doesn’t preach instead she just presents a lovely love story of coincidences, love, guilt and finding each other at the end of the day.

Chanda and Veerendra are married to each other when they are very young. Right after the ceremony Veer runs away from the village and disappears from their life. Fourteen years later, Chanda joins Ranveer’s company (an entrepreneur).

We get to know Ra
Debraj Moulick
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Swathi Shenoy
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars!!

Meet Chanda Maheshwari, a student in a Delhi College, an intern in RS Softwares Pvt. Ltd. She is the apple of her parents' and brothers' eyes. She is the youngest one and the most pampered one in her family. She has a secret past which stops her from dating until she meets Ranveer, who makes her heart skip a beat!

Meet Ranveer, the successful businessman whose world revolves around his work. Women try to catch his eyes but all he can see is work and more work! Oh, also there is somet
Nilima
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read review:
Right now Hot on our plate is the Review of The Runaway Bridegroom by Sundari Venkatraman.stop your imagination from running away hearing the title of the book ;) In real life if there were hunks for boss who were real marriage material then there would be so many love stories, but we will suffice with Sundari's novels for the time being :)
Arti
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book and the characters. The language and the flow are good. I especially loved it that the families were fully involved in the story. The way she has depicted the feelings of the characters make them so real. The relationship between the Maheshwari siblings has been depicted very nicely. I loved the way Ranveer and Chanda were sending messages to each other on the office LAN.

Highly recommended.

More on http://wp.me/p3cEWT-yf
Mkittysamom
Omg! Another amazing story by Sundari!! I'm so happy I'm smiling! I will come back and wRite mOre..it is 3:19am..and I just couldn't wait to find out what happened! Her stories always touch my heart and soul!
Shonnie
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great read

Enjoyable read however I wish the heroine and hero would've found the mystery before the end. I would've liked to have another conflict and not the drawn out one.
Dawn
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Interesting setting, lackluster writing

I am hoping that this was a semi-poor translation to English as the phrasing for many of the actions and descriptions was quite poor. The plot was fairly lackluster with almost no surprises as the audience was in on the secret from the beginning. I question why these two characters would act so outside their norms, but I guess it was fate.
Cindy
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Despite the serious nature at the beginning of the book, the story of the two main characters is a light and enjoyable. What I really liked is that the characters are smart and not easily fooled. Also, there are not long stretches of time where the characters are kept in the dark or manipulated. The story never stalls. The story flows and it leaves you feeling happy. Fun read.
Bhashmi
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Runaway Bridegroom

Even though the ending could have been better. It should have been more descriptive than how it was in the book. However i liked the book.
Shantala  (Shanaya Tales)
Rating Edit: 3.5 Stars

I have read 2 books by Sundari now, and the one thing that holds good for both of them, is that they give me the feeling of watching a television drama or movie unfold.

There is no doubt that Sundari is a very talented storyteller. Her stories come in a package titled - Entertainment, entertainment, entertainment!

Also, her stories always have a strong social message. Through her characters, she tries to outline- a model way of conduct, but does it without sounding the least
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Sundari Venkatraman is an indie author who has 31 titles (27 books & 4 collections) to her name, all Top 100 Bestsellers on Amazon India, Amazon USA, Amazon UK, Amazon Canada and Amazon Australia in both romance as well as Asian Drama categories. Her latest hot romances have all been on #1 Bestseller slot in Amazon India for over a month.

Even as a kid, Sundari absolutely loved the ‘lived happi