Start by marking “The Stowaway Debutante (Tales of the Captain Duke Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Stowaway Debutante (Tales of the Captain Duke Book 1)

Read Book

The Stowaway Debutante (Tales of the Captain Duke Book 1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  95 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Airships, pirates, and hidden identities…

When Clara dreamed of running away to seek her own adventures, she never imagined that a chance encounter with the legendary Captain Duke might set her life on an entirely different course.

Armed with her wit and charm, Clara can usually talk her way out of any troubles. But first, she has to get back to solid ground…

Clara s
Published August 13th 2014 by Woolf Like Me (first published August 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Stowaway Debutante, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stowaway Debutante

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Stowaway Debutante (Tales of the Captain Duke Book 1)
Wendy
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, steampunk
I had the good fortune of meeting Rebecca Diem by chance at Fan Expo Canada this past summer, and I'm so glad I did! I picked up a copy of her book and quickly fell in love with the characters and the story, prompting me to grab the next in the series. I'm now impatiently clamouring for the third book. Why do I love them so much? Well, the this is where I compare Tales of the Captain Duke to the Fast and Furious movie series. No wait! Hear me out! No, Captain Duke does not feature car chases, NO ...more
Kristen
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 stars

The Skinny:
Clara, a young debutante, is a stowaway aboard a flying ship. When the ship is commandeered by the Captain Duke and his crew, Clara saves them from what is sure to be imminent disaster. Now, aboard the Captain Dukes own ship, Clara is determined to be a member of his crew.

My Thoughts:
A few weeks ago I was at a steampunk convention in Canada. I was nonchalantly looking at the items for sale in the various stales when I saw what looked like - gasp - a book sale/signing. I
Kaitlin
* I received this free from the author in exchange for an honest review *

This little novella is the start of Clara's foray into Pirating. She starts out the story in a hold of a ship, stowing away from her past. However, she quickly discovers there is much more than first meets the eye on this ship, and when Pirates take command she has to think on her feet and decide who to side with...naturally, she chooses the Pirates and the story goes from there.

I found this a super fun read, it's quick an
Andra Weis
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian-writers

One sunny afternoon in Ottawa (spring 2015), I attended a literary event called “Prose in the Park” (http://www.proseinthepark.com/ ). It is there that I met Rebecca Diem – author. We got to talking and from that point in time; I knew I had to read her books. I could sense Rebecca’s joy and love for her craft and while I have not previously read this genre, I wanted to give steampunk fantasy a try.

I am totally delighted to say that my first voyage into thi
OpenBookSociety.com
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: andra

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Andra

I am totally delighted
Kaitlynd the Bookaholic
An entertaining quick read! Can't wait to see the story unfold in the following books :) Also I very much enjoyed the overall tone of the writing and how smooth it flowed :) ...more
Laura Nina
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adventure, romance, drama, and awesome characters! This book was a great read. I love following Clara on her adventure and can't wait to see what she gets up to next! ...more
Amy
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it from beginning to end. a quick light read but so easy to get sucked it. felt like i was right there with clara during her first real adventure. about to start book 2!!
Lara
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and sweet... steampunk at its finest!
Gender equality in the Victorian era :)
M.H. Thaung
This is an easy-to-read adventure romp, set aboard airships in a steampunk world. It's a short book that covers a couple of episodes in the early adventures of Clara and the Captain Duke (the two PoV characters) plus the rest of the crew as they go about their business.

Both Clara and the Captain Duke have mysterious backstories alluded to throughout but not actually addressed or explained. I didn't find the vague hints intriguing enough to motivate me to find out more (they felt more like a conv
Julia
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk, canadian
I met Rebecca at a writing conference, and she is such a nice person. She is part of my Con family, and I heart her so much.

I picked up her books to support her, but held off on reading them until it was finished being written. I'm going to hold off on a full review until I'm done all of them, because I think they will be best captured as a whole.

I'm looking forward to seeing her grow as an author, both in reading the rest of this series, and with her future works. Watching people grow and imp
Gypsy Madden
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rich debutante Clara decides to escape the Isle of Wight with the help of her brother and his glider. She lands on an airship bound for London and hides herself away amid the cargo. While she is pondering how she is going to smuggle herself off the airship once it reaches London, pirates attack. She befriends the brigands and buys a pilot’s commission.

There really wasn’t much to this story. It’s basically just an introduction of our heroine Clara (who is the basic indie book strong, independent
Derek Breedon
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Steampunk, fans of a female lead.
Recommended to Derek by: Rebecca Diem
I came across Rebecca at the Grand Canadian Steampunk Exposition and she convinced me to attend her reading of the third book in the Tales of the Captain Duke series. Going in and not knowing what I was getting myself into, I was pleasantly surprised! After her first section of the reading, I was hooked. By the end, I had so many questions. The only way I could find my answers were if I bought the books.

I purchased all three right then and there. After reading the first chapter, I was not disapp
Sienna
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of fun! A good introduction not only to the characters, but the world Rebecca Diem has built for them. I'm fascinated by all the ways we seek to integrate technology into prior eras, and I'm a sucker for a good pirate story; Stowaway Debutante is right in the middle of that Venn diagram.

This book is SUPER duper short, only about 25,000-30,000 words, and as such I had some trouble getting into the protagonists' heads. I like a slow burn, with lots of time to savour little tangents and seemi
Erin
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Stowaway Debutante" is a really fun steampunk adventure story! It's got Robin Hood-esque pirates, which I love, and their anti-capitalist romps are ones I would happily read more of. It also gave me major found family feels, especially with the development of the friendship between women and girls. It would've been easy to have them all be men, or for the other main woman to be a romantic rival, but instead they interact like people! Yay!

I also really appreciated the main character, Clara,
Jamie
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will give a more complete review after I finish reading the second book, From Haven to Hell, but for now I will say that I enjoyed Rebecca's easy-flowing writing style, her strong and well-envisioned characters, and I am hooked enough that I need to know what happens next. If the rest of the series is anything like the beginning was then I think we readers have a lot of good story-telling to look forward to.

MARCH 2019 UPDATE
Rebecca Diem's 'Tales of the Captain Duke' is a pleasure and a treat.
Gurushabd
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun, engaging read. It's like the pilot of a tv show - lots of action in a short compact package, leaving you wanting more. Make sure you read the next one, From Haven to Hell, for more adventures in steampunk feminist-heroin action. The Stowaway Debutante Rebecca Diem ...more
Tatteredturtle
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the debut series for Rebecca Diem. She is an indie steampunk writer and does a great job with the series, Tales of the Captain Duke. I really enjoyed the political climate, character development and the steampunk inspired engineering in this series. Please read my full review in the link provided below!
Easy Readin'

Parker (Paperback Parker)
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
i really loved this :’) the cast, the atmosphere, the overall plot... just so good. i really hope that in the next books the characters are explored a bit deeper. but either way, i’m excited to venture further into this world! (also - i really hope clara ditches her feelings for the captain duke and ends up falling for nessa lol)
Amanda Chamberlain
Oh my! What a fantastic story! I loved every moment of the series. Difficult to put down. I was fortunate to meet Rebecca at FanExpo and I will look forward to saying HI to this wonderful writer at the next one. I just fell in love with Clara and Cat!
Mer Brebner
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-friends
This delightful novel was exactly what my scattered heart and head needed! It was sweet, fun, and light, with just a dash of danger to make things interesting. Definitely going to pick up the rest of the series!
Mathieu Perron
A promising debut from an imaginative author. Diem sets up an intriguing universe and colourful characters. Look forward to the rest of the series.
Kelly
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book. Wonderful new author. A vivid imagination.
Sherry McWilliams
Received a free copy for a review. Cute story. A great introduction to a series.
Wise_owl
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first thing to say about this first book of the Tales of the Captain Duke is that it is short, too short in my estimation. Because just when you've gotten quite settled into the enjoyable tale being woven it ends and while thankfully there are other books in the series if you don't have them at hand you are a tad stuck.

The Stowaway Debutante is a classic adventure story with a Steampunk Mold. The Titular Debutante is fleeing from... something. We never discover quite what but the participati
Amy Aelleah
*Rolls eyes* I like you,see, that's why I'm going to remain all distant and broody and emotionally unavailable. (Ooh, and don't forget, act totally highhanded because you're just a pampered, prim miss that totally should hide below decks where there's no danger.)

Bleh.

Except for the main guy (see above) and de facto love interest, the story was fairly fun if very forgettable. Clara I could almost like, but then she interacts with the main guy and comes off sounding either simpering or angry all t
Diane
3.4 stars. A light, fun read, that was simply a bit short and "easy" to make it into my true favorites. The characters and their interactions are likable, the writing is pretty good (I caught a few errors, mainly in comma omission and splicing), and the plot leaves me wanting to see what happens next... as well as eager to learn what secrets our heroine especially is hiding. She's ever-so-slightly Mary-Sue-ish, but not intolerably so. And of course when you set the story on an airship, it automa ...more
Geoff Gander
I like the steampunk genre, and found this to be a light, fast read that introduces the reader to a promising new setting. Clara is a likeable character whose as-yet-undetailled high-born origins will probably come back to haunt her in a future book in the series, but this will only make the storyline more interesting.
The Master
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great intro to a new series. Could totally envision this as something on Space network.
Ed
Oct 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like this, maybe try Shelley Adina's series "Magnificent Devices" or Lindsay Buroker's series "The Flash Gold". Both are excellent. ...more

• Felix Ever After
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • Blood of a Promise (Kings of Sterling #1)
  • Lord of Winter (Fae of Darkness, #1)
  • Sticks and Stones: A Trek Novel
  • Crown of Frost (Faerie Lords #1)
  • The Memory Thief (City of Wishes #1)
  • Riot Baby
  • Witchmark (The Kingston Cycle, #1)
  • The Red King (Wilde Justice #1)
  • Frozen
  • A Highland Ghost for Christmas (Gambling Ghosts, #1)
  • The Vampire's Throne (Royal Blood #1)
  • Phantasmagoria: A Fog of Fixation
  • Ghost Dance: A Sequel to Gaston Leroux's The Phantom of the Opera
  • Unmasked
  • Madrigal: A Novel of Gaston LeRoux's the Phantom of the Opera
Rebecca Diem is a writer, music lover and nerd. She is the author of the indie steampunk series Tales of the Captain Duke, following the adventures of a defiant young aristocrat who saves a band of airship pirates from certain peril and talks her way into joining their crew.

An avid bookworm, Rebecca was honoured to receive a ‘Nose in a Book’ award from her elementary school librarian, and has a de

News & Interviews