Start by marking “The House on Sunset” as Want to Read:
The House on Sunset

Read Book

The House on Sunset

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  158 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Sarafina Bianco was once a high school English teacher with dreams stretching far outside the classroom. When her boyfriend of a year and a half cheated on her with a girl named Lacey, Sarafina found herself alone, eventually looking online for a replacement beau.

That’s how she met Mike.

The House on Sunset is a memoir, a collection of reminiscences, scattering the ashes
Paperback, 1, 138 pages
Published September 22nd 2014 by House on Sunset

To ask other readers questions about The House on Sunset, please sign up.

Sarafina Bianco Hi Caitlin.

The nomination is in this group: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

First, you have to join. Then you can vote. You'll find the…more
Hi Caitlin.

The nomination is in this group: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

First, you have to join. Then you can vote. You'll find the ballet under 'polls' which appears in the upper right corner of the group's main page. If you're still having problems finding it, please let me know and I'll certainly try to guide you through the process.

THANK YOU for supporting THOS. (less)

Melinda
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Sarafina tells her story of domestic violence in a clear and unguarded fashion. We learn of her budding romance filled with hope and promise as her boyfriend’s brutal and abusive core is slowly revealed. With her honesty she tells readers of the signs of abuse, the endless pattern of reconciliation, his unhealthy dominance and control, mental, verbal and emotional torment, and lastly the cruel beatings.

I read Sarafina’s story in small bites, and even that was challenging. The mistreatment she en
Michael Benavidez
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is different than most that I read, in that it actually happened. And does continue to happen to hundreds of people, though situations may vary. This is a story about domestic abuse. About a man who came into Sarafina's life in the way fate presents romance characters. Only this was not a romance book and he turned into a monster once he felt he had her in his grasp. She thought she could help him, fix him, but things got worse. This is a book that upset me, it pissed me off because it ...more
Sarah Brocious
 photo sarafina_zpsf21da917.jpg

What a beautifully written story!

The struggle that Sarafina endured is not one that I will soon forget reading!

There were times in the story where I shed tears just at the thought of what she must have felt in those horrific moments! And there were moments where I cheered her on, admiring her strength!

To survive abuse and live to tell about it is what creates Heroes/Heroines. To come through and not just survive but actually share that abuse so that you may help others? Well, thats the creatio
Dee
review to come...
Maria
5 painful stars!
Review to come.
Amie Morgado- We Stole Your Book Boyfriend
What a heartbreaking but necessary story to tell and read. If you have suffered abuse read this and know you were not and are not alone , if you know someone who is suffering read this and maybe encourage them to as well or find a way to help , if you have children read this and burn these signs into your heads so you can better judge what is going on with your kids when they become old enough to date and even when you think they do not need you anymore as adults. Abuse of all kinds is a very re ...more
Suanne Laqueur
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"We live in a society eager to overlook what is painful and scary. Domestic violence is an issue many people choose to ignore. Not me..."

It starts with you being thrown down the basement stairs and beaten to within an inch of your life, your cell phone smashed so you cannot call for help. It ends with "I'm still breathing."

In between, Sarafina Bianco reveals her journey from a loving romance to an abusive nightmare, and her eventual escape from the man who dominated and manipulated her physicall
Will Van Stone Jr
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lindsay Fischer, author and advocate, has given the world a guided tour of what someone in an abusive relationship lives with day and night, sometimes for years before they’re finally able to get away. Sadly, not everyone finds the strength to do so and never make it to happily ever after, if that’s even a thing for survivors. Lindsay survived and has come forward to tell about her relationship with Mike (from henceforth referred to as the worthless piece of shit [wpos for short]) from the day s ...more
Rachel's Willful Thoughts
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
For Sarafina Bianco, purchasing a house means she had reached an important milestone in life. With a job, a dog and now the perfect house, the only thing missing is someone to share it with.

In "The House on Sunset," Bianco pens a memoir highlighting her first encounter with Mike, the man she is convinced will be her perfect mate. From the first date to life as a couple, the reader becomes a bystander as Fina's dream turns into a nightmare. With vivid details, the verbal and physical abuse unfold
RYCJ
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Good. I started reading at “Our First Date”.

The Mmeh Okay. Sarafina’s tough lessons on romance and love were hard to read, and at the same time...

The Best Part. The story is engaging. The first date captivated me, reading what could be almost any young woman’s experience. She has a plan, and is following her plan; having bought her first home, employed in a sound career, has a reliable car, and now is meeting a man who seems to have his life in order as well. I’m there. The story is moving
Rick Gabrielly
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shaken and Stirred

The House On Sunset took me on a journey. A nerve-wracking ride through each room in a house I’ll never forget. I thought I knew what love was and I thought I knew what abuse was. After Sunset, I see a new side of both. Sarafina painted a picture of love that climbed a staircase only to thrust me backward with no handrail. She carved a groove in my heart with the broken glass of a shattered life. Abuse is a seed innocently fed by our best intentions. Each sentence in Sunset too
Carla Harris
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The House on Sunset was an honest account of Fina's abuse.

How she looked for love, thought she found her Prince only to find he was "the dark Prince." It's hard to believe that people can hurt the ones they are supposed to love. This story shows a woman who survived. Who found a will to get out and make a new life. Way to go. Every woman should read this book.
Peggy
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really didn't know what to expect when I started to read The house on Sunset. Excellent book. I hope people come away with a new understanding of what someone endures and how hard it is to break away from the abuse. Sarafina is an amazing person for writing this book and making it possible to feel her terror and pain, and to know that she survived and found love.
Valerie Sparkle
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
I don't even have the words to explain just how amazing this book is. It's just so beautifully written and so very honest. I truly felt this author's pain as I read her story. This story is very raw and dark, but also very real. I highly recommend this to everyone.
Kim
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: october-2014
This is an amazing book. I think everyone should read it. Domestic violence is a real risk for many people. Many ask why do they stay? This book explains how Sarafina experience happened. I learned many things from the book.
Laurel Noddin
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A forthright story of one woman's tortured soul offers the reader insight and inspiration for anyone who has suffered abuse of any form.

This book was difficult to put down. It will provide guidance and support for anyone who suffers in an unhealthy, obsessive relationship or knows of someone who might need help recovering from abuse. The author courageously shares personal information and details to educate the reader about the traumatic effects caused by emotional control and physical abuse. I
Naomi Blackburn
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Full blog review in progress

1) I was concerned that in about the 2nd quarter of the book the story was starting to go into the weeds and get bogged down; however, author was able to pull it out.

2) Would like to have seen more of a study of the cycle of abuse and missed warning signs. In first half, story did more of a "incident to incident" vs. studying the progression of abuse/warning triggers.

3) Absolutely loved the resources. Would recommend this book for use in the therapeutic setting, inclu
Angie
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jill Dobbe
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
An incredible book that tells the story of a truly abusive relationship. Written with honesty and bravery the author bares her soul as to all she endured. Thank you Sarafina for writing your story in order to help others find the courage and strength to leave their own abusive relationships and find help.
Bree
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredibly brave account of a personal tragedy. And while I can tell the author is healing and has amazing support now, I'm furious with a few of her family members. It's one thing to miss hidden signs (we can all keep secrets, right), but I felt like she reached out and had people turn their backs on her.
The Book
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Gianna Caruso
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

I read this book in one sitting! I simply couldn't put it down! I am so incredibly proud of of bianco for sharing her very powerful and inspiring story!!!
James Parker
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Incredible book. Brutally honest and heart-breaking...a must read.
Y. Correa
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
"The House on Sunset" is the true story/memoir of the author, Serafina Bianco, and how her true love morphed into a dark, twisted, convoluted, abusive relationship. This is a very powerful biography, and is not meant to be glanced at or grazed over, but rather appreciated, listened to and understood.

The author talks about how she was a suburban girls, from the 'good' neck of the woods and how her infatuation with Mike, led her down a path of destruction, isolation and sorrow.

At first we are imme
Frederick Crook
Dec 08, 2015 rated it liked it
This story starts out with a nightmare scene of physical abuse that is immediately frightening, attention getting, and, in my case blood-boiling. There is nothing I detest more than the abuse a human is capable of dishing out, whether it be against animals, children or women. From page one of this book, I wanted to take Louisville Slugger in hand and administer an immediate and most horrific justice, saving Sarafina from the entire series of events.
The ensuing few chapters deal with the more o
Corinne Rodrigues
It’s a story I’ve heard all too often. A woman looking for love, finds her happily-ever-after man (or so she thinks) and is ready to give up everything for love. Sadly, she is asked by this man to do just that as he first subtly and then overtly begins to control her,make her always second-guess herself and then abuse her both verbally and physically. Soon she begins to lose all sense of self and becomes a pawn in this man’s evil game.

I am blessed that I dodged that bullet – I almost fell for it
Cindy S
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Why do abused women stay with their abuser? Why don't people believe about stories of abuse? Can anybody really understand what it's like to be in an abusive relationship? Fina loved her boyfriend Mike. She loved him and wanted to help him, even though he stole her money, her dignity, and her future. Most times, the abused is made to believe that everything bad that happens is somehow their fault, that they don't deserve better treatment. Fina thinks, "I was left to question who was worse, the m ...more
Sage Adderley
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was eager to read this book because I am a survivor of domestic violence. I found myself in a relationship hell for one year. Survivor stories are important to me for two reasons. I personally need to read them. Some survivors choose not to, but it helps me. The second reason is because I think it sheds light for people who have no experience with domestic violence. Perhaps they can gain some insight from the victim's perspective and be more compassionate. Some people think shaming is a way to ...more
Patricia Ibarra
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the true story of Lindsay Fischer, a high school teacher, who broke with her boy-friend. Feeling lonely, she starts browsing on the Internet and finds Mike, a friendly and understanding person to chat with. They finally agree to meet and she cannot believe her luck. She finally found her soul mate. They decided to move together and her nightmare starts. This is another story of mental and physical abuse. Beating, apologies, flowers, reconciliation, and the same devious cycle all over aga ...more
Marie
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I almost put this book down about 30 pages into it because it started giving me anxiety - I recognized so many coincidences from my own past - ones I had long buried and attempted to forget.

Huge High Five to you for writing about such a horrible experience.

Abuse is a horrible thing, and it does not just have to be physical - the game playing, the cruel words - living in constant fear that you are doing something wrong.

I do not miss the days that my anxiety was so bad I was afraid to take a showe
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • South of Normal
  • Sacred Road: my journey through abuse, leaving the Mormons & embracing spirituality
  • The Line, the Itch and the Rabbit Hole
  • The Dalai Lama: A Life Inspired
  • The Scent of God: A Memoir
  • Sidonia's Thread: The Secrets of a Mother and Daughter Sewing a New Life in America
  • Things Go Wrong For Me (when life hands you lemons, add vodka)
  • Someone's Daughter
  • Trees Tall as Mountains (The Journey Mama Writings #1)
  • How Not To Run A B&B
  • The Woman in the Photograph
  • We Never Lost Hope: A Holocaust Memoir and Love Story
  • Focus - A Memoir
  • Stories from a Teacher
  • Off My Rocker: One Man’s Tasty, Twisted, Star-Studded Quest for Everlasting Music
  • Where Fault Lies: A Survivor's Story of Game, Shame & Blame
  • Crafts & Hobbies: 100 Days of Kindness - Spreading Happiness, Joy, and Love with 100 Acts of Random Kindness! (Crafts, Crafts & Hobbies, Hobbies)
  • Passport through Darkness: A True Story of Danger and Second Chances
8522054
Sarafina Bianco graduated from Missouri State University with a Bachelor of Science in secondary education, English. An avid reader and learner, Fina took her passion for words into a classroom before starting a writing career. Life, as it usually does, pulled her from the classroom and she saw that as an opportunity to use her voice against domestic violence, blogging under this pseudonym since 2 ...more
More about Sarafina Bianco...