Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of British Kings & Queens: The Complete Biographical Encyclopedia of the Kings and Queens of Britain (The Mammoth Book Series)” as Want to Read:

Although interest in British royalty has reached a new high, a truly comprehensive register of all the kings and queens who have ruled in the British Isles has never before been published. In one compendious volume, The Mammoth Book of Kings and Queens offers the first royal biographical A-Z, its pages lavish in details on all the rulers of kingdoms within the British Isle ...more
Published October 26th 1998 by Running Press (first published August 31st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of British Kings & Queens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of British Kings & Queens

Gary
Jul 04, 2018 added it
This is perhaps the most comprehensive one volume digest of British monarchs and spans 2000 years of rulers of England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and smaller kingdoms withing Britain. There are over a thousand entries.
It has a section on LEGENDARY OR SEMI-HISTORICAL KINGS OF BRITAIN which includes the possibilities of who the legendary King Arthur was based on, as well as the King Lear we know from the Shakespeare play.
In this section he refers to the History by Geoffrey of Monmouth,
Lolly's Library
I can't say I'm finished with this because this is a book I find myself constantly picking up to peruse, to fact-check a show I'm watching or book I'm reading, or to help me untangle the complicated, intertwined royal family so I can figure out where a particularly squicky nephew fits into the line of succession. I can flip to any point, start reading, and find myself completely engrossed in the intrigue, treachery, backstabbing, plotting, betrothals and marriages, dynastic takeovers and takedow ...more
Jodi
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ashley did create a mammoth book of the kings and queens of Britain. This impressive text covers the rulers and royals from Roman times on. Starting off the book is a section called "The Royal Book of Records" with fun factoids such as the 'shortest royal marriage' (Alexander III and his bride who lasted four months and 19 days) and it ends with a helpful "Gazaetteer". An excellent book.
Aaron Meyer
Nov 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Absolutely cannot do without this book when working on anything dealing with royalty in England. Over two thousand years of material complete with tons of genealogical charts and enough information to whet the appetite for more. I love just picking the book up and turning to pretty much any page and just start to read. I never get bored of chasing family lines and going through the charts. I only wish that the author would of went into more detail on the Irish than he did.
Mark
May 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Athelfrith, Athelhun, Athelric, Athelstan, Athelweard, Athelwulf- chances are you never heard of these guys. But you can find them, as well as Catgualart, Cartivel, Caw, Ceawlin, and Dafydd, Drest mac Drust, Dubnovellaunos, and Dumnocoveros, all inside this big huge book which purports to name every major and minor king of every major and minor kingdom of England (including Man and the Orkneys!) what ever was! Some interesting stuff in here, I say!
Khairul Hezry
Oct 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Excellent guide to all the British kings and queens from pre-Roman times to Lizzie II.
Selena
Great for genealogy, though it did get a little confusing with so many of them.
Cynthia
Dec 31, 2007
Lady Bren
Dec 18, 2013
Sheri L.
rated it did not like it
Jun 12, 2017

• Collected Works
  • Robert the Bruce: King of Scots
  • Elfrida: The First Crowned Queen of England
  • The Joy of Sexus: Lust, Love, and Longing in the Ancient World
  • My Lady Scandalous: The Amazing Life and Outrageous Times of Grace Dalrymple Elliott, Royal Courtesan
  • Queen of the Conqueror: The Life of Matilda, Wife of William I
  • Royal Romances: Titillating Tales of Passion and Power in the Palaces of Europe
  • Margaret of York: The Diabolical Duchess
  • The Oxford History of Britain
  • Tudor Women: Queens & Commoners
  • Queen Victoria's Youngest Son: The Untold Story of Prince Leopold
  • A Brief History of Life in Victorian Britain
  • The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories
  • Elizabeth of York: The Forgotten Tudor Queen
  • A Brief History of the Tudor Age
Michael Raymond Donald Ashley is the author and editor of over sixty books that in total have sold over a million copies worldwide. He lives in Chatham, Kent.