Start by marking “The Killing of Mummy's Boy” as Want to Read:
The Killing of Mummy's Boy

Read Book

The Killing of Mummy's Boy

What you're about to read is based on a chance meeting I had with self-confessed murderer on a train. During the 60 minute journey, I was disgusted, terrified and shocked but never bored. He asked me to get off at the next stop and run away with him. I didn't, but from the safety of the pages of my new novel, I gave it a try.

THE KILLING OF MUMMY'S BOY

‘I slit someone’s
Published August 31st 2014 by Joan Ellis Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Killing of Mummy's Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Killing of Mummy's Boy

Start your review of The Killing of Mummy's Boy
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone! Psychological Thriller Lovers
I really do wish that more readers would discover Joan Ellis, she is a brilliant author and the more of her books I read, the more I like them. I had loved Joan's chick-lit book I am Ella, Buy Me which made me laugh my head off and snort quite a lot. This book, The Killing of Mummy's Boy is a long way from chick-lit, yet Joan pulls it off beautifully.

The blurb totally hooked me from the first line.

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: "I slit someone's throat," the man told the woman on the 4.20 from Waterloo to Portsmouth.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: When a woman meets a stranger on a train, she discovers they have one thing in common: murder.
Ben has slit a man’s throat and Sandra’s son, Carl is on a Witness Protection Programme after his evidence convicts local thug, Lee Elliott of murder. Fearing reprisals from the family, Sandra flees London for the Isle of Wight.
On the train, she reports her lost Oyster card, giving out her
Sue
The Killing of Mummy’s Boy by Joan Ellis is a British mystery thriller with lots of twists to keep the reader engaged. I was so impressed with her novel, “Guilt”, that I moved right on to this novel. Another winner for this author!

This was a terrifying gripping thriller, that allowed you to observe the workings of the criminal mind.

“I slit someone's throat”, the man told the woman on the train from Waterloo to Portsmouth.

This is where any sane person would go running for the hills.

“Two
PattyMacDotComma
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery and thriller lovers
With a son in witness protection, living God knows where, and a self-confessed, throat-slitting murderer chatting her up on the train ride to her hideaway home, Sandra has been drinking frantically to try to steady her nerves.

Rather than steady them, she begins stumbling, tripping and imagining things. Or is she? We’re not quite sure either.

The murderer has overheard her give her address on the phone (silly woman), and she accidentally mentioned to him that she has a son – something nobody at
Gayathri
Read the full review at Elgee Writes

My initial thoughts

I have read and enjoyed Joan’s other novel, ‘I am Ella. Buy Me‘, yet I was surprised by the premise of ‘The Killing of Mummy’s Boy’. We don’t think twice much before spelling our addresses out in public these days, and the possibility that this could happen to anyone of us, made it all the more intriguing.

I loved all the twists in the plot (maybe except the final one) and was genuinely pleased that the character I liked didn’t turn out to
Lisa
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense
OMG whatever you do this year read this gem of a book there is nothing to complain about, it was a real twisty thriller that grabs you right from the very first sentence.

Believe you me this was brilliantly written with flawed characters & a huge twist at the end that knocked your socks off I didn't see it coming at all.

If you like books that are a bit on the edge right throughout this one is for you.

Kudos to Joan Ellis for getting into the mind of a deranged serial killer 5 big stars
Linda Strong
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Sandra has had a hard life. A single mom, her son, Carl, is in witness protection after seeing a man murdered by a mafia-type man. Carl has been undercover for several years and Sandra misses him desperately. She has a job at the hospital with an ogre for a boss.

To top it off, she meets a man on the train, Ben, who tells her he's newly out of prison for cutting the throat of a man. He insists on calling her Rosie and she is starting to get really nervous. After strange things begin happening in
Pat
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

I really enjoyed this twisty little psychological thriller. You were never quite sure what was going on. Sandra is on a train when she attracts the unwanted attention of a rather rough looking man who won't stop talking to her, and admits he has been in prison for slitting a man's throat. When she makes a call to report her Oyster card missing she unwittingly gives the man, Ben, who overhears, her address. Unfortunately he lives close to her.

On her return home to the Isle of Wight she
sue
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers

Doesn't the title make you wonder what its all about? It did me.
Then I read the blurb which pulled me in even more.

I was lucky to receive this book from the author for my honest and open review.

If you check, I read a LOT and sometimes a book stands out, sometimes it blurs into a very good book but not outstanding in any way, however, I found this to be outstanding in its sequences of events.

We had Sandra whose son witnessed a murder. Because he stood up and informed the Police he appeared in
Dianne
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In the tradition of great British mystery writers, Joan Ellis is serving up a dark and edgy thriller that in turns chills your bones and boils your blood. The Killing of Mummy’s Boy is definitely not your cozy-grab-some-hot-chocolate kind of read. Sharp edges, jagged twists about as one mother, determined her son should “do the right thing,” inadvertently sets off a series of events that will have evil lurking in the dark years later, ready to do its best to carry out an old and rancid quest for ...more
J. Kahele
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
'I slit someone's throat'

When a book starts with that kind of line, you know your in for a hell of a thriller. Add a train, a woman and the hot confession of a murder and your instantly engaged, well I was anyways.

This story was very intense at times and my mind was swirling each scene as the plot thickened. The last few chapters were so crazy, I found myself lost in this book in its world till the last page.
Mimi
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! I liked all the twists and turns that the story would take. The story starts of with a woman named Sandra on a train traveling back home. She sits down and is joined by a man who tells her his name is Ben. They end up talking and it all seems normal until Ben mentions killing somebody and being let out of prison. (At this point, I was both shocked and intrigued. I read on wanting to know more)

What did I like about this book? The story, it was well written with a lot
Sue Seaman
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
So glad I have discovered this author thoroughly enjoy her work.
Sandra the main character lives alone in a secluded cottage on the Isle of Wight. On a train journey back to the island after a rare trip to the mainland she meets Ben a self confessed Another great read from Joan Ellis
murderer.

With lots of twists and turns along the way this novel develops into a nail biting finish it keeps you gripped from beginning to end.

Such a good easy read, I have given it a 5* rating, and cannot wait to
Alexina
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, I wasn't always clear as to why some of the decisions were made, however I don't want to give the plot away!

It was a good page turning read, quite easy to read and a good flow to the story.

The plot really took off near the end and there were elements of suspense and thriller in the book.

The book kept me captivated and I would read and recommend this author.

Renita D'Silva
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrifying, fast paced from start to finish, tense and thrilling and absolutely unputdownable. Loved this amazing original story.
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Thanks to Maxine at Booklover Catlady for my copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Killing of Mummy’s Boy is the second book by Joan Ellis that I have read. Having read the blurb I have to say I was a little intrigued. I didn’t know what to expect. Goodreads describes it as follows:

Sandra
Oct 09, 2015 rated it liked it
The book begins with a chance encounter on a train. Sandra, travelling home to the Isle of Wight, loses her Oyster card and stupidly phones from the train giving her address to anyone that can hear her. In this case the person who hears her happens to be a murderer called Ben who tells her he slit someone's throat. After what is a very unusual conversation she gets off the train and after a ferry journey and bus ride arrives home to discover an Oyster card has been posted through her letterbox, ...more
Anthony
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Killing of Mummy's Boy by Joan Ellis Review:

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the author and Booklover Catlady Publicity in return for a fair and honest review.
Many thanks!

A fresh new take on the thriller genre takes form in The Killing of Mummy's Boy, an incredible novel written by Joan Ellis. Written to feel like
a classic, 1970's era murder/mystery British film, the novel follows Sandra, a young woman who's son Carl is in the Witness Protection Programme.
Aboard a train,
Debra Slonek
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
As fate would have it, two strangers met on a train. Sandra and Ben had each lived lives filled with danger and dysfunction. As their relationship went from tentative and cautious to intentional and dependent, the levels of danger and dysfunction skyrocketed.

Sandra, alone and lonely, drinks excessively. Sandra had been a single mom raising her only child, Carl. As Carl was growing up, Sandra was blinded to the many warning signs and disturbing details about her son.

Carl, now a grown man, is
Shannon Mcfarland
Carl witnessed a murder. This one action starts the downhill slide of Sandra and Carl. Carl is a witness in court against the murderer, who happens to be a very bad person within a crime family. Because of this, Carl must now go into witness protection. Sandra and Carl move and are separated and do not see each other for several years. Sandra is not sure that she did the best thing for Carl. She is lonely and suspicious of everyone and turns to alcohol to numb the pain.

One day on a train,
Elisa
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy from the author and her publicist in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, Joan Ellis!
The Killing of Mummy's Boy is not an easy book to read because it makes you spend time with a very damaged woman. Sandra lost her son to Witness Protection when he testified against a murderer. She drinks too much and her crippling insecurities make her hate any kind of human contact. Three things happen at once that change her world: her son leaves the Witness Protection Program, she
Claire
You can meet some right nutters in the train and Ben is one of them. Sandra is on her way back to the Isle of Wight when she meets Ben by chance and he tells her more than she wants to know. He's a murderer, just out of prison. She's daft enough to say her address in his earshot. After this chance meeting, odd things start to happen: her marmite has been opened, her toilet used and not flushed....is this Ben stalking her? Sandra thinks so. But Sandra is hiding on the island with a secret past ...more
Petra
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers, ku
Once you pick this up, you'll probably don't want to put it back down again until you reach the final sentence. The first chapter in which Sandra meets Ben on the train ride home and he casually informs her that he "slit someone's throat" was totally gripping and it just kept going in the same fashion all the way to the end.
Sandra is a single Mum to Carl whose been in Witness Protection after giving evidence in the trial of a member of a well-known crime family. When creepy things start to
Lynn Mccarthy
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sandra a hard working single mum meets a man on a train.Ben tells her he has just got out of prison for cutting a mans throat.
Sandra has a son named Carl who had witnessed a killing and had to be put in a witness protection scheme, she misses him all the time.
Strange things start to happen at her house she is sure she is being stalked could it be ben she meet on the train?
Carl turns up at the house he is fed up with hiding and has left the protection scheme he has meet a girl and got her
I am grateful to booklover cat lady for a copy of this in exchange for an honest review.

The book opens with a man introducing himself to Sandra on a train by telling her he has just come out of prison for murdering a man. By this point, though, he already knows Sandra's name and address.

Sandra's son is living in the witness protection plan after witnessing a murder. Soon after returning to her home on the Isle of Wight, Sandra realises that someone has been in her house. Is it the man from the
Rebecca Larsen
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
With plenty of twists and turns to keep you interested, The Killing of Mummy’s Boy will keep you second guessing what you think you have already figured out.
Mrs. Ellis keeps upping the tension level, while keeping you guessing where the plot is headed next. With all of the twists and turns in the story, you are never quite sure where your headed next.
A well developed and terrifying plot, with characters whose interactions are better than some of Steven Kings and Dean Koontz earlier stories.

I
Ellen May
Theweebarrell
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a brilliant book that had me rivited from the first page. Joan Ellis is an author I will be looking out for from now on. Highly recommend this
Digital Book Freak
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Psychological thriller/suspense readers
First I would like to thank Joan Ellis, the author, and Booklover Catlady Publicity for providing me with a free copy of The Killing of Mummy’s Boy in exchange for an honest review. My rating is 4 stars.

Blurb:

“When a woman meets a stranger on a train, she discovers they have one thing in common: murder.
Cynthia Harrison
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller

Readers who like roller coaster rides are in for a rare thrill with this chilling novel. Joan Ellis cleverly sets the story in present time, drawing a sympathetic picture of middle-aged Sandra being hassled by a handsome creep named Ben. Ben is not Sandra’s only problem. She’s estranged from her son and as Ellis veers back and forth in time in what will become a brilliant signature move, readers learn why Sandra’s son Carl, now a grown man, is in witness protection and why he is still in danger
I spent years penning letters from dogs. As an award-winning copywriter, you have to be adaptable! I worked with talented people including Paula Yates, Jennifer Saunders and Harry Enfield. With a full-time job in a London advertising agency and a new baby, I did what any right-minded woman would've done and set up a comedy club. I even appeared on the same bill as Jo Brand. Once. As a university ...more