Start by marking “Borderlands Anthology (The Actuator, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Borderlands Anthology (The Actuator, #1.5)

Read Book

Borderlands Anthology

(The Actuator #1.5)

When the Actuator breaks the earth into a patchwork of altered realities, the remaining Machine Monks begin looking for the Keys to put it back. In the meantime, everyone in the world has been transformed without knowing why. This collection tells about some of the people struggling to deal with the change.

In “Remembering Emily,” Sara Wolf brings us a tale describing the
Published September 15th 2014 by Curiosity Quills Press (first published September 10th 2014)

Start your review of Borderlands Anthology (The Actuator, #1.5)
Montzalee Wittmann
Borderlands Anthology (The Actuator #1.5) by James Wymore and other great authors is a collection of great stories by the masters of sci-fi. I had a real hard time deciding which was a favorite because I loved all of these stories. All were strange and unique, things I love in sci-fi. After giving a lot of thought, I think I liked "Stolen Orchid” and “The Blackbird’s Tale” the best but it was very difficult to choose. Great stories for great authors, the reader can't lose!
Roberta R. (Offbeat YA)
Excerpt from my review - originally published at Offbeat YA.

Pros: Eclectic bunch of stories, covering a wide range of genres and (fictitious) eras. We get a glimpse of how the Change affected some people unaware of the Actuator's existence. But one doesn't necessarily have to be familiar with the series in order to read this collection.
Cons: Not every genre tackled in here can be everybody's cup of tea. The quality (and most of all, originality) spectrum varies from high to less impressive.
Will
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
In Fractured Earth, the Actuator split the world into different realities. A few people are trying to get the Keys that the Machine Monks created when they activated the Actuator. They need the Keys in order to restore the world to the original reality. The task seems insurmountable, but they have to try.

Borderlands gives a peek at some of the other realities and the people who inhabit them. 16 short stories tell of what’s going on in various parts of the world since the accident that changed
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
(I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a review).

(This review may contain spoilers).

Although reading anthologies with recurring themes running through them is fairly normal, I think this might be the first anthology I’ve read with short stories all set in the same kind of universe. Even so, I felt it was really good that each story was unique enough to provide a different perspective… while still staying true to the core plot.

I found it interesting how some people were aware of the
J. Ford
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
It is difficult for me to pinpoint which story I liked the most. Each one was written very well and were quite entertaining, and I enjoyed them all.

There is a common theme that runs through this anthology, and each one of the authors tweaked their characters and their settings around that theme. It actually seems like each of the stories play off of each other in an odd way, almost as if one can’t exist without the other. I do think some of the stories could have been expanded. Some felt flat.
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*I received a free e-copy of this anthology in exchange for an honest review.

This is a fun and entertaining collection of stories from so many great authors. Each world within the Actuator universe is brought to life with highly creative imagery. The descriptive styles of many of the authors are vivid, and each story carries a distinct flavor. Characters are introduced with peculiar obstacles that challenge their goals, lives, and relationships in, at times, deeply humanizing ways. Also, there
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
What I Thought:

I enjoyed this anthology a lot. It was the first anthology I have read, and at first I wondered whether or not I would be a fan. I have just gotten into short stories, and really love them, especially when you are short on time, and only have a little bit of time to read. I was extremely impressed with the collection of stories in this anthology. They all had a core common subject, with the same 'reality' or universe being the setting. It was an odd commonality, but it did tie the
Lissyiszy
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it

You get quite the amount of short stories in this book, sixteen to be exact. All of them I felt were well written and I enjoyed the different ways the authors interpreted "The Actuator" for each of their stories. It just shows how creative and unique each author can be when writing a story even if it's based on a common theme.

All the stories were well edited but some stories didn't intrigue me as much as some of the others. I'm not going to say which ones, but some stories had me more on the
Katie Hamstead
This is a DNF for me. Not that it was bad, more that I lacked motivation. It seems I'm not an anthology type person. But here are my thoughts on what I did read:
Remembering Emily - Great opening story. Sweet ending.
Stolen Orchid - Well written, but I'm not into cyber punk.
The Blackbird's Tale - A bit longer than the first two. This one delves into the Actuator story, while also giving a classic 30's/mobster crime tale. Enjoyed.
The Dream Journal of Oren Smith Wessely - Again, not really my genre,
WTF Are You Reading?
This wonderful anthology allows readers to travel to worlds ranging the imaginative spectrum.
There is something to be found for every reader. From steampunk to historical.
Though the worlds may be different, the underlying theme of human sacrifice is a unifying thread which works to link the tales.
This is a surprising treasure trove of originality that will make a welcome addition to any library.
Diane
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy to read and review. It has stories that will appeal to all types of readers. I couldn’t put it down. I love all the stories in it. Each story has great characters that the authors have created. There are great twists and turns within each one of them. Add it to your TBR list you won’t be disappointed. I look forward to reading more books by each of the authors.
Janis Hill
I would like to thank Curiosity Quills Press for a free ARC of this book in exchange for an open and honest review.

This is a rather entertaining and well thought out anthology that encouraged authors and (I believe) fellow fans of the first ‘The Actuator – Fractured Earth’ novel to have a go at helping to reshape the world after the ‘Great Event’… or whatever it was called when the Actuator was let loose on the planet. Trust me, all of what I just said made sense if you’ve been reading this
Dennis E. Flynn
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting but too short variations

the short interpretations were interesting but too short to lead anywhere.
Some were very interesting but then just stopped,drove me nuts.
Jason Purdy
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Mary-jo
Oct 26, 2014
Emma Adams
Oct 27, 2014
James Wymore
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Nocte
Oct 08, 2014
Jason Purdy
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Michael A. Kubala
Jan 07, 2015
Sherry Bagley
Jul 04, 2015
Curiosity Quills
Jul 24, 2014
Patrick
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Kyle Winter
Ironthorn465
rated it it was ok
Mar 10, 2016
Jenny Yheela
Nick Johnson
Oct 14, 2015
Nathan Yocum
Jul 25, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Lucia
Sep 06, 2014
Michael Mcparland
Jon Ullberg
Patrick
Sep 13, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Cherei
Genereams
Jul 31, 2019
Matthew Mcguinness
Dec 28, 2019
James Wymore grew up on a heavy diet of movies and books that morphed his real life adventures into imaginary worlds. His published works span the fiction spectrum, including many different genres in the best-selling Actuator series. He’s an acquisitions editor, running games with hundreds of players at conventions. http://jameswymore.wordpress.com

The Actuator (5 books)
  • Fractured Earth (The Actuator, #1)
  • Return of the Saboteur (The Actuator, #2)
  • Chaos Chronicles (The Actuator, #3)
  • The Last Key (The Actuator, #4)