Start by marking “Lady Sarah's Sinful Desires (Secrets at Thorncliff Manor, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lady Sarah's Sinful Desires (Secrets at Thorncliff Manor, #1)

Lady Sarah's Sinful Desires

(Secrets at Thorncliff Manor #1)

Welcome to Thorncliff Manor, where London's elite mix, mingle, and may even find their heart's desire...

There are thousands of things Christopher, Viscount Spencer, would rather do than hunt for a bride, especially since experience has taught him that women are not to be trusted. Then he finds the intriguing Lady Sarah scrambling around in Thorncliff's conservatory and he
Published April 28th 2015 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Lady Sarah's Sinful Desires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady Sarah's Sinful Desires

Sissy's Romance Book Review
This is book one in the "Secrets at Thorncliff Manor" series. Lady Sarah has had a scandal that has resulted in her father and step mother to attach her to a older man who does not treat Lady Sarah very well during their courting. Lady Sarah has also met our hero, Christopher, Viscount Spencer. Lady Sarah doesn't feel that she deserves Christopher attention nor does her parents. But Christopher family likes her had as set their sites on Christopher courting her. Lady Sarah tries not to get attac ...more
Jen Davis
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
I had a very hard time connecting with this book. I am never great with a Big Secret story, but in this case, that was compounded by the fact that I was unimpressed by the secret itself. The hero is uninspiring. And the bad guy is nothing short of a cookie cutter villain.

Sarah is not a virgin. That’s the big secret. She lost her virginity to a man who she planned to marry and it didn’t work out. Now her parents are forcing her to marry a vile man named Mr. Dennison, because they say no one else
Alyssa

Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: April 28, 2015
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

There are thousands of things Christopher, Viscount Spencer, would ra
Lover of Romance
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Summary
Christopher, the Viscount Spencer, has many activities he would rather be doing than be searching for a bride. He knows because of his position and title, that he will need to marry and have an heir, but is content waiting a while longer. There hasn’t been a woman to stir his interest until he meets Lady Sarah. When they meet in the conservatory searching for her pet hamster, he is intrigued, and she is so different from any other miss he has ever met before. Sarah’s life is not her own.
Molly
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: uhhhhh
There was a little too much slut-shaming in this one. It's safe to presume that the audience of this book is modern ladies, comfortable with scenes of a sexual nature, right? So, when we read this genre of books, particularly for the sexy bits, why were Sarah's past sexual experiences put in such a bad light? Do you think the readers are also thinking badly of her, or sympathizing with her instead? Why were we lead to believe that this was all her fault? Because when she described it, it didn't ...more
Caz
I've given this a D for narration (= dreadful) and a D for content (= dire) at AudioGals. I read a book by this author a while back and generously thought that perhaps she might have improved and I should give her another try. I should have had the courage of my convictions.

Sometimes – if you’re lucky – you can start a book or audio and know pretty much straight away that you’re going to enjoy it. And sometimes – if you’re UNlucky – you pick one up and immediately know the opposite. That’s what
WTF Are You Reading?
Despite it's rather salacious moniker, Lady Sarah's Sinful Desires, manages to remain 'nunnery chaste' for the majority of its 384 pages. Only hinting at the life altering scandal that hangs about the neck of Lady Sarah Andover like an ill-fitting snood.
What readers do get in spades, is a lively, slow building, story that is loaded with vibrant and expressive, one of a kind characters which prove to be easy to love/hate, hard to forget, and a joy to read.

Christopher Heartly,Viscount Spencer has
Farrah
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was an absolute delight. Lady Sarah's Sinful desires was sweet and romantic, with very engaging characters and a few secrets along the way. It was a lovely read and I absolutely loved it.

Sarah was a wonderful heroine. She had made a single indiscretion years ago and paid for it ever since. Not only did she have to deal with her own regret and guilt over it, she had to shoulder all the disappointment and cruelty her unsympathetic parents could muster. However, all of that didn't make he
Andrea
** 2.5 stars**

Lady Sarah's Sinful Desires was...nice enough. I think a lot of historical romance readers will enjoy the story, as Lady Sarah is an exceeding kind heroine who's at the mercy of a mostly uncaring family.

While I thought the story was nice, I was never more than moderately invested, and that was in Sarah herself. I felt like a spectator, when I really wanted to be dragged in. I was also very put off by the hero, Christopher. There were many moments he was kind and a friend to Sarah,
(Nat) Reading Romances
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sophie Barnes presents another win.

Lady Sarah’s Sinful Desires is one the most enjoyable reads of 2015 so far. Slowly we’ll get into all the secrets Thorncliff Manor has; a fantastic place mysterious enough to be the perfect spot for any romance. The secondary characters are fun and totally relatable, I’m curious about what will happen to them next.

I like how Sophie took the time to introduce Sarah and Christopher. Both go through some little adventures together and get close enough to start hav
Cathy
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one story that I absolutely adored! Sarah and Christopher are adorable together. Sarah is sweet, kind and loving and living everyday with a heart that's aching for what she cannot have and what she must accept as her lot in life. Christopher, having been burned by love before, tries hard to fight his attraction to Sarah - he's funny and tender and an all around good guy. The writing style is one I prefer - telling both sides and also including some character's inner thoughts - often maki ...more
Hannah
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lady Sarah’s Sinful Desires is the first book in a new series for Sophie Barnes, The Secrets at Thorncliff Manor. I really enjoyed this one; it almost is a sweet romance the main characters don’t give in to their desires until the last part of the book, almost the ending. I don’t think I would have liked it as much if it was any different, if they had acted sooner on those desires it just wasn’t who the characters were. The story flowed smoothly from beginning to end, it was witty and sweet you ...more
Deborah
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it

Lady Sarah has arrived at Thorncliff Manor to meet her intended, Mr. Denison. Sarah is carrying a juicy secret that could ruin her reputation if it got out. Because of that, she knows that she has to marry Mr. Denison. She is there so he can start his courtship of her. Then she meets Christopher. He's an heir, a viscount, a rich lord. How can she go through with a marriage after meeting him? She must do everything in her power to resist him. If the truth about her were revealed neither man would
Lisa
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bur-2015
Two hearts, each broken by betrayal but wishing to be whole again. These same hearts have lost the ability to trust; one has built barricades, the other still clings to hope.

The unfairness of the times regarding sexual experience once again rears its nasty head. Sarah was seduced and charmed by a traitorous villain leaving her ruined and alone, despite having a family. Christopher was lead to believe a shallow woman on to be left behind feeling like a fool. Despite her ruin she still longs to be
Ermione Pickwick
May 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
This romance had potential...pity the characters are that bad, most of them at least. I appreciated the heroine and I liked her parents, although for different reasons, mostly because they cover opposite role. The parents are mean, they are what could be considered the antagonists and I must say they do it very well, they are actually hateful, every time the mother was in the scene I would have slapped her (same for the father although I would have done it with less zeal).
Lady Sarah, the heroin
Kimia Safavi
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lady Sarah's Sinful Desires is a beautifully written historical romance , Sophie Barnes did a fantastic job. It is the story of a ruined heroine and a broken heart hero with meddlesome families.

The last thing Christopher, the viscount Spence, wants is searching for a bride in Thorncliff Manor. He knows he needs to marry and has an heir but not anytime soon until he meets Sarah, a beautiful and strong young lady who is not chasing after a handsome titled gentleman.

Lady Sarah is beautiful, sweet
Jessica Grogan
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Donna
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and hoping for lots more of this series. This is my favorite Sophie Barnes book to date, though I do love the Summersby trilogy. I found this well written, entertaining and hard to put down. There are so many characters visiting Thorncliff I can see books and novellas for at least 5-7 of them.
Elaine
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: regency
I really enjoyed reading this wonderful story about Christopher (Kip), Viscount Spencer and Lady Sarah. A new and exciting experience for me.
I predict a host of thrilling adventures in this new series at Thorncliff Manor!
Beth Johnson
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hea, 2018-reads
Ah, back to reading brain candy.

Okay. Heroine is a fallen woman. That's fine as I'm not into virginal characters. However, I HATE this woman's parents with a fiery passion. I hate her soon-to-be fiance. And I know we have to not like him so that we cheer for the Hero, but does the bad guy have to be so creepy and rapey? I didn't need to feel physically ill whenever he was on the page.

The Heroine herself is wonderful. She's full of fire and stands up for herself and isn't completely afraid to say
Barbara Literski
No Regrets

Lord Spencer and his family were heading to Thorncliff Manor. Also going to the same place was Lady Sarah and her family. Lady Sarah was in disgraced and her father was going to introduce her to her future husband. Lady Sarah shudders when she meets him but he knows her secret.
Lots of things happen through out this book, that will help you understand Lord Spencer and Lady Sarah.
Enjoy!!!!
Rdbarrett
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book, although towards the end the sub plot could have been tied up better. Still a good book.
Julie
Jan 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Gave this a one star only because it was a DNF for me. For some reason, it didn't grab my interest right away. I listened to the audio and didn't enjoy the narrator.
Cameron
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Originally posted on the blog: What the Cat Read

You’ll need to forgive me if I end up sounding like a crazy fan cat at times in this review. I’ll try to avoid purring madly as much as possible, but the truth is I positively adored this book! From the first page to the last, my whiskers were curling in delight over the wonderful characters and fantastic writing. Historical Romance readers are definitely going to want to give this book a read!

Spencer, aka Christopher, is a cautious, endearing, yet
Vikki Vaught
My Musings

3.75 Stars

This is the second book I have read by Sophie Barnes. The reason I decided to purchase Lady Sarah’s Sinful Desires was because it was a finalist in the Colorado Romance Writers Award of Excellence contest. I must say, I am enjoying the books and the competition must have been fierce. So far I have read four of the entries and all of them have been noteworthy. While this is the least favorite of the ones I have read, I did enjoy this book.

Lady Sarah hangs her head in disgrace.
Cerian
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Rookie Romance.

Lady Sarah has a secret. A secret that means her life is practically over and her parents treat her like their shameful secret. Of course Sarah's secret isn't as terrible as it seems to her and her family, but it still acts as a dark cloud constantly hanging over her. It's also why she agrees to marry an utterly vile man much older than her. When Sarah's away from her parents and the other watchful eyes of society, she's free to be herself and she's outspok
Gaele
Sarah’s desire is to live her own life, with a man of her choosing. Unfortunately a youthful mistake nearly ruined her reputation and severely limited her chances for an acceptable match, a fact that her father and stepmother will NOT let her forget. To avoid further temptation for his willful daughter, her father has moved her and her stepsisters to Thorncliff Manor in an effort to ease the match between her and Mr. Dennison, her father’s choice for her husband.

Unimpressed by her chosen suitor
Miriam
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Despite the title of this story, there is almost no sex in it. Surprised? Yeah, so was I. *smiles* But the lack of intimacy didn't deter from the story at all.

Neither Sarah nor Christopher were looking for a relationship during their stay at Thorncliff. Sarah was there to meet her soon-to-be husband. Christopher was there out of obligation, even though he knew his mother would do her best to foist some unmarried miss on him. They met by accident, their friendship starting off with sarcasm and th
Connie Fischer
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thorncliff Manor - 1820

The widowed Countess of Duncaster owns the enormous estate of Thorncliff Manor. She has chosen to open the Manor to paying guests allowing them the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful manor and surrounding gardens.

Lady Sarah Andover is traveling to spend several months at Thorncliff Manor with her father the Earl of Andover and her stepmother who has always treated her with disdain. Sarah has been out of the social scene for a couple of years due to an unfortunate incident
Catherine (The Sassy Bookster)
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss-arcs
3.5 Stars

The title of the book hints at a scandalous and sensual Lady Sarah but she is very far from that. Lady Sarah has spent the last five years making up for her past indiscretion, one with the potential to ruin her reputation and the latest scheme by her father and step-mother to make her pay involves giving her away in marriage to a very detestable and lecherous older gentleman. On a trip to Thorncliff Manor to meet her intended, she meets Christopher Heartly,Viscount Spencer.

Christopher i
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 12, 2015 01:05PM

• The Governess Club: Sara (The Governess Club, #3)
  • I've Got My Duke to Keep Me Warm (The Lords of Worth, #1)
  • The Mistake (Sisters of Scandal, #4)
  • The Perks of Loving a Scoundrel (Seduction Diaries, #3)
  • Once Upon a Highland Summer
  • A Sinful Deception (Breconridge Brothers, #2)
  • This Earl is on Fire (Season's Original #2)
  • A Touch of Passion (The Disgraced Lords, #3)
  • Temptation Has Green Eyes (The Emperors of London, #2)
  • And Then Comes Marriage (Worthington, #2)
  • A Date at the Altar (Marrying the Duke, #3)
  • The Lady is Daring (Duke's Daughters, #3)
  • Deeply In You (The Wicked Dukes, #1)
  • The Earl Next Door (The Bachelor Lords of London, #1)
  • Scandal Takes the Stage (The Wicked Quills of London, #2)
  • The Lady's Disgrace (Marriage Mart Mayhem #3)
  • A Perfect Gentleman
USA Today Bestselling Author

Born in Denmark, Sophie has spent her youth traveling with her parents to wonderful places all around the world. She’s lived in five different countries, on three different continents, and speaks Danish, English, French, Spanish and Romanian.

She has studied design in Paris and New York and has a bachelor’s degree from Parson’s School of design, but most impressive of al

Secrets at Thorncliff Manor (4 books)
  • The Earl's Complete Surrender (Secrets at Thorncliff Manor, #2)
  • His Scandalous Kiss (Secrets at Thorncliff Manor, #3)
  • Christmas at Thorncliff Manor (Secrets at Thorncliff Manor, #4)