Start by marking “Smolder on a Slow Burn” as Want to Read:
Smolder on a Slow Burn

Smolder on a Slow Burn

Allison Webster dreams of having an adventure like the characters in the books she loves. But there is no romance in being pursued by a man who wants her dead for educating the children of former slaves. Unlike the heroines she reads about she doesn't have a trusty companion to rescue her...until she literally runs into A.J. Adams, a former Confederate cavalry officer. ...more
Published August 8th 2014 by The Wild Rose Press

To ask other readers questions about Smolder on a Slow Burn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smolder on a Slow Burn

Start your review of Smolder on a Slow Burn
Charlotte Gerber
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I’m a Civil War history buff and reenactor, as well as living near the Elmira prison camp as mentioned in the book. What drew me into this story were the well-written characters, but what kept me hooked was the historical accuracy and attention to detail that the author used throughout the book. The romance was wonderfully believable, and if you enjoy an action packed story, this is the book for you.

From the first scene on the train with AJ and Allison to the nail-biting trial scenes, the story
Celestine
"How do you do it?.....Get me to see things differently, talk to you of things I swore I would never utter a word to a living soul about. You've seen me at my worst. I've told you things I have never told anyone...." This soul-bearing is the essence of the relationship between ex-Confederate officer A.J. Adams and on-the-run Southern schoolmarm Allison Webster. While it starts out with him as a rascally single gentlemen helping a damsel in distress, these two with an unworldly and unlikely ...more
Dianne
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, but I feel it would have been nice to have been given more information on what happened between Drake and Jessie. It just felt wrong having that dropped into the story without explanation. Maybe it was a prelude to their book.

Edit 23/12/14

After a good nights sleep, I've decided to change my rating to five stars. I originally gave it four because I was a little disappointed with what happened to Drake, I had a soft spot for him and what happened without explanation,
Petula
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Allison is running from a murder charge. When she is helped onto the train by a very Moody man wearing a great coat from the now defeated Confederate army. She is astonished to find out he is the man featured in a book she has been reading.
A.J. is a man tormented by what happened to him and the men under his charge in the war. It turns out that Allison and A.J. have enemies in common. That increases the danger for both of them.

This is an emotional story, of the effect of war on the minds of all
A.M.
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I give props to this author, amazing story-telling with some truth and facts enhancing the reading experience and truly exceptional writing in general.

This story follows Allison Webster barely missing a train with the aid and assistance of our very own past Confederate official A.J. Adams. Stuck in the end cart with horses and a stranger for company, Allison decides to change that. Little did they know, their past is also bound to catch up to them regardless of the speeding train they are
Twinsie Talk Angie J
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars but rounded up

Check out this review and others at
www.Twinsietalk.com
www.Facebook.com/Twinsietalk
www.Twitter.com/Twinsietalk
www.Tsu.co/Twinsietalk
www.instagram.com/twinsietalk
Newsletter : http://eepurl.com/brwkPv

I received this book from the author for an honest review.

I love Historical books, but I have never tried a Western Historical and jumped when given the chance. I mean you will never know until you try I right??

This book was interesting in that it interweaves real life history
Tammy Frederick
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing story! Lynda I am so glad I got to know you before reading this. Your brought your own sense of humor to the book and I found myself laughing out loud a lot knowing you were likely laughing as you wrote.
AJ is the perfect man, Broken or not you wrote him to be truly wonderful.

I'd like to note I have never read a romance novel EVER. Your's was my very first one and I am so glad I did read it!
Catherine
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I admit, I am not an avid reader of romance novels (although one could possibly argue that Austen & Bronte fall into that genre, in which case I am...) nor am I a Civil War history buff. That said, I have to say this book is one of the better-written (from my weak knowledge of contemporary romance novels--a relative lent me some & I was never impressed: too many clichés, etc) and well-researched novels I have come across. And I'm not just saying this because I know the author ;-)
Chris Effinger
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lynda J. Cox's writing pulled me in from page one. Like people in real life, the main characters Allison and A.J. are flawed and complicated, but ultimately likable. I enjoyed watching their story unfold from page to page.

The most interesting bookworm in the world says, "I don't always read Western romance novels. But when I do, I prefer books by Lynda J. Cox."
InD'tale Magazine
A fast-paced western romance that will hook a reader and won’t let go!

Read full review in the 2014/2015 Holiday issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Kelly  The Sassy Book Lover
Be still my heart when it comes to this story! I was hooked from the start and couldn’t put it down. Twisted fate brought them together and helped so many people. They are a couple that from their first meeting you know are they are going to be fun. I loved that Lynda didn’t really sugarcoat when it came to what A.J. went through. I was holding my breath when it came to so many scenes because I didn’t know what was going to happen next.

Allison is a smart and strong woman that sees A.J. for the
C.J. Fosdick
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Investing time to read a book for relaxation and enjoyment is always problematic for any author. When I read for enjoyment, I stick to the genres that include my favorite authors or multi themes of romance, suspense,and history. Lynda Cox punched those themes in “Smolder on a Slow Burn” when several years after the Civil War a notorious Confederate soldier offers a hand—literally—to a prim schoolteacher running to catch a train. Both, it turns out, are running from false accusations and a common ...more
Crystal Routley
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book!

I have this 5 stars because I loved this story! Both the hero and heroine have a horrible past. They will both have to work together to overcome and out wit their mutual enemies. Another great book from ms. Lynda J Cox!
Tim Sarver
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intrigue, action and romance

An excellent storyline and very hard to put down. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for action and excitement with romance thrown in.
Cbischler
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book paints the story of a loving and fiery couple in the post Civil War era. It was exciting and romantic, and kept me on the edge of my seat.
Beverly Blank
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AJ Adams & Allison Webster meet when she's trying to catch the train she needs to be on as it's leaving the station when strong arms reach out & pull her onboard. He's not in a mood for company on this trip, she seems to be stuck to him. Both are running from something. AJ was an officer in the Confederate Army, branded as s traitor; Allison is running after bring falsely accused of murder. As their travels take them through some trying moments, Allison is wounded & AJ's focus ...more
Gloria Fisher
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a very good read. I loved all the lovable characters and detested the others. If you want story that takes you out of yourself, this is the one. Kudos Lynda J. Cox!

It was a very good read. I loved all the characters that were lovable and detested the others. If you want a story that takes you out of yourself, this is the book for you. Kudos Lynda J. Cox!
Dale Dumont
Sep 07, 2016
Barb Clements
Dec 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Obsidian Hearts (Obsidian Legends Book 1)
  • You Can Have Manhattan
  • A Midsummer Kiss (Kiss the Wallflower #1)
  • Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1)
  • Allure (Brooklet Dreams Book 1)
  • Letters to Molly (Maysen Jar, #2)
  • Crime and Periodicals (Green Valley Library #2)
  • The Birthday List (Maysen Jar, #1)
  • Peril in Pensacola (Accidentally Undercover #1)
  • Beard Science (Winston Brothers, #3)
  • The Secret Ingredient
  • Brant’s Return
  • Beard Necessities (Winston Brothers, #7)
  • Once a Wallflower, Always a Wallflower (The Inheritance Clause #3)
  • More of You (Confessions of the Heart, #1)
  • Skin Deep (I-Team, #5.5)