Start by marking “Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch” as Want to Read:
Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch

Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch

4.46  ·  Rating details ·  1,010 Ratings  ·  197 Reviews
An anonymous valentine changes the life of the unsociable Mr. Hatch, turning him into a laughing friend who helps and appreciates all his neighbours.
Hardcover, First Aladdin Paperbacks, 32 pages
Published January 1st 1996 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch

Mariah
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute story that shared the message that everyone needs to feel love to be fully fulfilled.
Kathryn
I loved this one! My favorite Valentine's-themed children's book so far.
Noura
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We need someone to love us, in the times when we don't love ourselves..

Loved it..
Josiah
Feb 13, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's amazing how one little thing, even something as serendipitous as a happy accident, can alter one's mental perspective and so make for eventual major change in one's entire life.

That is what's at work in this book. Mr. Hatch is a somewhat cold, distant man, who takes little notice or care regarding those around him and simply lives his own life, impervious to outside influences. Until, that is, one Valentine's Day when he receives a package in the mail. It's a heart-shaped box of chocolat
Echo
Apr 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-kids
Just a great feel-good book, that for some wonderful reason, my kids adore.

Mr. Hatch is a solitary man until one day when he recieves a surpise valentine from a secret admirer. This prompts him to do good deeds for everyone he comes in contact with until Mr. Hatch is a favorite of everyone in the neighborhood. Then the postman comes to tell Mr. Hatch that the valentine was delivered on accident & wasn't actually for him. Poor Mr. Hatch! He doesn't think anyone loves him anymore & falls b
Terri
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.
Raisa Marrow
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wow-books
Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch is a story about an ordinary man named Mr. Hatch who is very lonely and goes about the events of his everyday life alone. He eats alone at work, does not look store clerks in the eye or talk to friends/family, etc. He does not feel the true weight of his own loneliness until he receives an anonymous Valentine which leads him to believe their is someone out their who cares about him only to find out it was delivered to him by mistake. His neighbors, friends and cowor ...more
Aletse Serrato
I think it was ok
Susanchitter
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very sweet book. On Valentine's Day Mr. Hatch receives a box of candy and a note that says,
" somebody loves you." Mr. Hatch is a lonely man whose life changes in that moment.
Adam
Mar 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The perfect Valentine's story!

The artwork is a starting to look a little dated, but will still hold appeal with your elementary aged child. The true charm of this book is in the the narrative. The main character, Mr. Hatch, goes from a dull, gray, lonely life to that of humble-kind-good-friend-to-all. It was always in him, he just needed something to connect him to those around him and it comes as a super-large heart shape box of candies from an anonymous admirer... but little does he know that
Adriana
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This has to be the best Valentine's Day picture book I've ever read. Mr. Hatch does the same thing day in and day out. He doesn't have any friends so he is surprised when he gets a package in the mail. A note attached to the large heart shaped candy box reads - "Somebody Love You." Now Mr. Hatch is seeing the world in a whole new light. He's making friends and laughing all the time. But, what will happen when he discovers the note wasn't for him?

I felt so sorry for Mr. Hatch. He was just a lonel
babyhippoface
Very sweet tale of how our actions--even small ones--can change lives. Mr. Hatch lives alone, goes to work, goes home, never talks, never smiles, goes to bed, and... that's all. Mr. Hatch is lonely, he just doesn't realize it. But everything changes one Valentine's Day when a package is delivered straight to him, and inside is a giant box in the shape of a heart, full of chocolates, with a note that says, "someone loves you." In one moment, Mr. Hatch has a new outlook on life. Someone loves me? ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
Mr. Hatch has a colorless life of work and ham sandwiches, until the day a Valentine heart arrives at his door. Somebody loves him, but who? Moved by the gift, Mr. Hatch passes the love on to all those around him, and brings joy to his world. Then he discovers that the heart was delivered to him by accident, and he is crushed. He goes back to his old ways, only to worry all his new friends. They have a surprise party to reassure them that he IS loved. Give love to get love!
ABC
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahhh, this is a sweet story about a lonely man who get a heart-shaped box of candy for Valentine's Day. My son was entranced by the huge box of chocolates and I am pretty sure he would love to receive it, too!

This book makes me want to go out and buy chocolates for people who live alone.

This book is also currently available at http://www.storylineonline.net/ which was something I didn't realize.
Christian Padgett
This was WOONNNDERRFFULLL!!! I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Mr. Hatch lives a simple life and keeps to himself. One day he gets a Valentine and he his whole demeanor changes. He becomes more open to people and realizes that he can help others and others help him. It is a great book to use to show how small things can make a very big difference in someone's life for we do not always know what others are going through.
Samantha Lazar
Oct 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lonely shoelace factory worker is sent a valentine card, or so he thinks. When he thought someone really cared about him, it changed the way he socialized with other people. He became more friendly and outgoing. However, he finds out that the card wasn't meant for him and shuts down. The people that he made friends with miss him, and he realizes that people do really care about him.
Rola
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
you think you know everything about someone but you know nothing

everyone needs love, especially those who you can't remember seeing them smiling
Carrie
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This Valentine's book brought tears to my eyes! It is a really sweet book about loneliness and frienship.
Shirleen
Feb 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Read this cute children's book for Valentine's Day. Loved the message - people always do better when they know they are loved. My daughter-in-law recommended it to me.
Marcia
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
The best valentine book of all time. How can you not love a man who works in a shoelace factory?!!! Touching book about love and friendship.
Valary
cute Valentine's story
Relyn
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: elementary students and their teachers and parents
Recommended to Relyn by: Storyline Online
I first encountered this book on the amazing Storyline Online youtube channel. Hector Elizondo was reading it, and he was simply perfect. I just love this book! During library, we read it the week before Valentine's Day. Afterward, we discussed using Valentine's Day to show love to more than just the usual people - mom, dad, teacher, best friend. Each student chose someone they don't really know in the school and had the challenge to be extra kind to that person all week. Then, the next week in ...more
Juliana Lee
Mr. Hatch learns to get out of his shell and makes some friends while he tries to figure out who had left him a large Valentine's box of candy with a note. Soon Mr. Hatch has many friends, and later finds out that the package he got was mistakenly delivered to him. Poor Mr. Hatch went back to his old lonely ways. No one loved him after all. When the people of the neighborhood realize what happened, they got together and made handmade gifts and a huge sign "Everybody Loves Mr. Hatch". Yes, he doe ...more
Jen
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite picture books. In fact, just thinking about it makes me get a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat.

It is a story about a single man who does the same thing every day, until one day, when he gets a Valentine from a secret admirer. His whole outlook on life changes and those around him can't believe what a little love will do.

I love the message in this book and think everyone should read "Somebody loves you, Mr. Hatch". I also think we could all learn a lot from a li
Kyra Christiansen
I must be honest, this was not my favorite book. I liked that it had a nice ending, but I had a case of secondhand embarrassment while reading this book because of the mixup with the package. I was glad I read it regardless, because sometimes one needs to read books they don't quite care for in order to appreciate the books that they do care for.
Donna
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually listened to this one as my niece, Karen Long, read it on her school website! Wonderful story. It is a great read aloud title, too. We all need some one to care about us and to care for as well.
Breea Holdcroft
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I think everyone has felt like Mr. Hatch. We have all felt alone or maybe even depressed in one way or the other. Sometimes we need to think that somebody cares even if it is by accident, which can be very uplifting while you think you are loved and then you have a new lifestyle.
Liz Garden
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading this to my class when I taught 2nd grade. A great one to revisit during the week of Valentine's Day!
J Layne
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet story of caring. I loved it.
Alicia Thompson
My 5 year old proclaimed this as "a loving book" and I agree. It conveys the important lesson of how it is through love that one draws true meaning in life.
  • Love, Ruby Valentine
  • Me, All Alone, at the End of the World
  • Regards to the Man in the Moon
  • Precious and the Boo Hag
  • Marven of the Great North Woods
Eileen Spinelli, wife of famed children's author Jerry Spinelli, is an award winning children's book author from southeastern Pennsylvania.
More about Eileen Spinelli