Start by marking “PIPING DOWN THE VALLEYS WILD” as Want to Read:
PIPING DOWN THE VALLEYS WILD

PIPING DOWN THE VALLEYS WILD

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  68 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Here is a rich and varied collection of poetry for use by children, parents and teachers. The introduction includes advice on choosing poetry for children and reading poetry aloud.
Published November 15th 1982 by Yearling (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about PIPING DOWN THE VALLEYS WILD, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about PIPING DOWN THE VALLEYS WILD

Jacqueline
I wore my copy of this out and keep it in a zip lock bag. I loved this book as a child and read in it constantly. I can still quote many of the poems from this book. A great introduction to a wide range of poety for children.
Jessika
Re-reading this book always takes me back to my childhood. I can still remember the day I bought this from the bookstore with my saved-up allowance. This was one of the first books, along with those of Shel Silverstein, that sparked an interest in poetry for me. Looking back now and reading it as an adult, it is easy to see why.

Piping Down the Valleys Wild is the perfect book for young readers beginning to read poetry. There are sixteen chapters in this, based roughly off themes such as weather
Chelsea
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry-books
I really enjoyed reading Nancy Larrick's anthology, Piping Down the Valleys Wild. This book contains hundreds of poems by a wide variety of authors and is filled with the type of beautiful poetry that will both introduce the art to children, and keep them yearning for more. From e.e. cummings, to Robert Frost and Karla Kushin, the text is comprised of both older classics and newer, more modern pieces, all of which are suitable for children. I also love the various reading levels in this book; it ...more
Lafcadio
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: NPS
Recommended to Lafcadio by: Nancy
Mummy Slept Late and Daddy Fixed Breakfast

Daddy fixed breakfast.
He made us each a waffle.
It looked like gravel pudding.
It tasted something awful.

"Ha, ha," he said, "I'll tray again.
This time I'll get it right."
But what I got was in between
Bituminous and anthracite.

"A little too well done? Oh well,
I'll have to start all over."
That time what landed on my plate
Looked like a manhole cover.

I tried to cut it with a fork:
The fork gave off a spark.
I tried a knife and twisted it
Into a question mark.

I tri
Anna Venanzi
Piping down the valley wild is about the rhythm are created to give children inspiration by using an AB pattern or ABC, ABCD pattern. The importance of rhythm teaches children the use of language by using different techniques.

type of book: poetry and primary to intermediate
rating of the book: three stars. I gave this poetry book a three stars because the use of language emphasizes the musical quality by using his piper. And also how children are growing up and expresses through there life thro
Julie Suzanne
Apr 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids who like poems, ELA teachers elementary to grade 7
Some of these poems are silly & juvenile and perhaps appropriate for grades 2 & 3, and some are "just right" for grades 4-7. Topics vary, and none of these poems are complex in theme or complicated in style. A few are great for introducing poetry analysis to grade 7 (especially the poem "January."
Joe
Apr 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good collection. Some sections are more enjoyable than others, but that's how it always is with collections. Found a few more examples for my students that are easier to understand than ones I've used in the past.
Kate
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of beautiful poetry by many poets, but I think mostly romantic poets. I love this collection of poems and would totally recommend this book for poetry lovers, especially those who love pastoral poetry.
Michael Fitzgerald
Great selection. Wish there were more of Ellen Raskin's illustrations. Unfortunately, it ruins the end of Stevenson's "My Shadow" - it's "stayed at home behind me" not "stayed at home beside me". Otherwise it makes no sense.
Kyra
Dec 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I have owned this since I was a child but I don't think I ever read it before. The poems are inspiring but unfortunately most of them are focused on nature and imagery rather than "Growing Up" - I have the sense I need to use the theme of "Growing Up" for the poems I have to use at work?
Mikha Racelis
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good poetry book. If you are like me who is so much into poetry and prose, then this book is perfect for you. :)
Katrina
May 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read: Don't Ever Cross A Crocidile by Kaye Stanrbird
Discovery, humor
Rebekah Lambert
As a child, I read, memorized, and recited so many of these wonderful poems. A great collection for children and their adults.
Kathryn
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great poetry to use with kids.
Marianne
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jr-non-fiction
If you are looking for that one poem from your childhood - it will be in this book.
Ashley
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, seasons, poems
One of my favorite poem books! Perfect for grades 3-4. Very silly and childish.
Becky Coulter
Lynn Burdeshaw
Feb 29, 2016
Deirdre Mingey
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favorite poetry book for children - no apostrophe on Valleys.
Betsy Small