Start by marking “Deadly Shadows (Deadly, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deadly Shadows (Deadly, #1)

Deadly Shadows

(Deadly #1)

A small, friendly Colorado town, nestled in the breathtaking Rockies, cloaks a malevolence, an evil that stalks women.

Jesslyn Black, a writer, is content living her now-single, childless life. If she keeps to herself, she can’t get hurt. Haunted by the past, Jesslyn never again wants to experience the soul-shredding pain of losing loved ones.

But a murder changes that.

Aiden
Published March 30th 2005 by New Concepts Publishing (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Shadows

Julie (jjmachshev)
Jan 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
"Deadly Shadows" wasn't my first read by Jaycee Clark...and it won't be my last either. Clark manages to imbue her stories with menace that can give me a chill down my spine. Her ability to invoke absolute evil in her villains is downright freaky.

Jesslyn lived through unspeakable pain and sadness when she lost both her husband and her children to a drunk driver. Just as she begins to feel strong enough to 'live' instead of 'exist', she's again subjected to loss. She stumbles on the body of her
Lisa Kay
★★★☆☆ Probably my best three-star read of the year. I really like this author’s voice, and I’m sure I will go on with the series... maybe on audio next time. However, there were several things I went “Huh?” over.

The dialogue between the H/h at the very beginning, for one; but it improved. However, the worst was the obligatory plot device: “have the heroine pull a TSTL move in order to get her in the clutches of the villain” - not once, but twice! Although, the “buddy read” members I read this w
Anne OK
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
A very solid and impressive beginning to the "Kinncaid Bros." series. I'm looking forward to the next one right away. "Deadly Shadows" introduces us to the Kinncaid family, who bring an Irish background of love, laughter and loyalty. The story has a dark and gritty storyline whose villain is very evil and psychotic. I was able to narrow the villain down to two suspects but remained stumped until the end. The steamy romance is balanced very well with the suspense. And both lead characters are ver ...more
Kathrynn
Dec 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Romantic Suspense/thriller fans
Recommended to Kathrynn by: Auntee
Wow! This was quite a thrilling, romantic-suspense! It reminded me of Karen Rose's serial killers in that she would go into the mind(s) of her killers. Very intense, heartbreakingly sad (at times), and once the heroine hit my TSTL meter.

The heroine, Jesslyn, moved to a small town in Colorado to write and deal with the horrendous grief of loosing her husband and two children in a car accident three years prior. Why she took in a renter, Aiden, was not mentioned. It didn't appear she was financia
Anita
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a good solid 4 stars. It is my first book by this author and I really liked that we didn't get to figure out the villain or the motive until the end. Although serial killers are not my favorite villains, this one was very creepy with no info to figure out who it was.

Jesslyn's emotional life has been in deep freeze since an accident that killed her husband, daughter and unborn child. She is just coming out again after three years when a murdered takes the life of a good friend. Jesslyn h
Iza
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, it wasn't really my cup of tea. Not that bad, mind you, but I wasn't in the mood for this.
A killer out of nowhere, a bitchy heroin at first (she had excuses with the murder of her friend and her past, but still), an overbearing hero (I wouldn't want to work under his orders), a huge, enormous, unnerving amount of lip biting, lip tugging, etc, a father who insulted a woman twice under her own roof without even knowing her, plus a personal reason that made me uneasy with the characters : I
Saly
This was my first book by this author and I had a hard time getting into it mainly because I found the character interactions awkward, they seemed to jump from one conversation to the next with things remaining unsaid plus the heroine was too thorny for my tastes. She is an author who lost her kids and husband a while back and the hero is renting her place. There is a murder mystery of course and there is this weird insta love thing which seemed weird to me but I am gonna give the other books a ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in Jaycee Clark's Deadly series, featuring the Kinncaid family. Aidan Kinnaid came to Colorado to oversee the opening of a hotel. He rented a house that belongs to Jesslyn Black. Meanwhile, Jesslyn just got back in town and finds her friend dead and the murderer fleeing the scene. Later she returns home and finds a strange man in her house and chaos erupts.

I really enjoyed this one and now have to invest in the rest of the series. Romantic Suspense is my favorite genre and this on
Samantha
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not really my thing. Some suspect grammar, and rather poorly edited. Author had a tendency to write "he" when there are lots of men in the room and it's not clear who is the subject. Takes a bit of working out. Also I kept having to flick back to see if someone had left the room as they weren't there any more but there was no mention of them leaving. Rather frustrating. Wouldn't read any more by this author.
ElaineY
Aborted because I'm tired of having to enter the mind of yet another done-to-death religious nutjob serial killer.

Don't like the narrator with her odd cadence either. Not sure which part of the US that accent would be from but I don't like it. Okay for a character but not for the narrative. I checked the other installments and the narrator, Johanna Parker, speaks the same way for all the books. Perhaps this is why I did not listen to the series despite having them for 3 years.
Nicole
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was my first time reading this author but it certainly won't be my last. The story moved along at a good pace, with the right amount of humor thrown in, (the early banter between Jess and Aiden). Good character development, especially the showing of how Jess was dealing with all of the tragic events that occurred in the story.

Good read, can't wait to read the rest of the series.
CeCe
I can’t connect with any of the characters.
I love small town stories with suspense, but I did not care for this one.
I loved the killer’s POV and that is about it.
The switch in POV was too frequent. I don’t have to know what each character is thinking at every moment.
Phe
5 Stars Deadly Shadows is an adult contemporary romantic suspense thriller by Jaycee Clark and the 1st book in her Deadly (Kinncaid Brothers) series.

The Deadly (Kinncaid Brothers) series is fast becoming one of my favorites. Kinncaid family motto: This I’ll defend. Because nothing is more important to a Kinncaid than his family. The series revolves around the wealthy and powerful Kinncaid brothers, the women they love, and the strength of family ties. Each story blending the perfect bala
Cherie
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
I read this book after reading the fourth book in the series. I enjoyed the fourth book so much, I was sure I would like this one too. And sure enough, it started with a bang... ok, more like a slash and a scream, but she had my attention from the very beginning. However, as she introduced the main characters my attention slowly waned.

Jesslyn came of as abrasive and bitchy, with moments of stupidity at the worst times. Aiden liked to puff his chest but seemed virtually importent in the face of J
Joan
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought this was going to be pure chick-lit. And in some ways it was, but it was a lot more besides.

A more than decent thriller, with (mostly) great characters. It was a lot longer and more involved than I had anticipated as well. A decently 'hefty' read that wasn't afraid to go into details and develop the story beyond mere 'girl meets guy chick-lit'.

One or two quibbles though pulled this back from a potential five stars for me - (view spoiler)
Tiffany Tabor
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I happened upon this book looking in the Barnes and Noble books under $5 on my NOOK. Quickly relized it was a series and downloaded all 4. How can you go wrong with hot Irish/Scottish brothers whose family motto is "This I'll defend."? Loved Jesslyn and Aidan. The suspense was great. I, personally, didn't have the murderer figured out till close to the end. But I rarely try to figure it out until it's revealed. I love a couple that argues and banters back and forth, and that was definintely Jess ...more
Kathy
I'll be nice and give it 3 stars, tho 2.5 is more like it. Not even sure why I didn't like it. I can't put my finger on it. All I know is, I kept looking at my progress and thinking, that's it? At 53% I felt like it should have been almost over. It just dragged. And I skimmed alot of it. It just did not hold my attention. I liked Aiden, not sure how I feel about Jesslyn. I hated their initial meeting. It felt like forced dialogue crammed in to make it work and it didn't make sense. I understand ...more
BooK-O-Holic
I don't know what it was about this book for me, but I was never really able to get into this book. There were so many good reviews about it and it seemed really interesting, so I decided to give it a chance.
The beginning started off with a bang, other than the commentary between the hero in the heroine which was kind of annoying. I really liked hearing from the killers perspective, but after the beginning of the story it seemed like the story just started to focus on the hero and heroine and th
Norma
3 stars for story, 1 star only for the WORST EDITING EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD! I kept having to re-read passages because of sloppy sentences and just mistakes. Irked me and took me out of the story.

THat being said, Aiden and Jesslyn were enough to keep me going. Decent suspense, though the "whodunnit" is not really much of a mystery. It's revealed fairly quick. But only you and I know, not the characters. So it's still a suspense.

Not sure if I'll continue with the series though.
Hana
May 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
It wasn't a disaster even though the only thing I found remotely interesting was the line about the killer - to find out who the monster was was what kept me skimming through the book. Yes, I skipped lots of pages or read a sentence or two, because it was a typical unoriginal romantic writing and especially the sex scenes were so detailed it was boring. I might read other books from the series but onlz in the distant future when I will be in a mood for this kind of romance.
Vashni
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I am absolutely loving this series, these Kinncaid boys are awesome, I loved this book, it was different to those typical man meets women romance novels, this story had me hooked n I loved Aiden n Jesslyn was a strong independent heroine n I loved her. A great book with plenty angst, a good plot, plenty romance, a hot alpha male, Lol what more could a girl ask for!! I'm on book 4 now, which is Ians story but I must admit I am itching to get into Quinlanns story :)
Michele
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
WOW!!! "Deadly Shadows" wasn't first book to read by Jaycees Clark and I loved it!!! I read a lot of romantic suspense books and tor the first time I could not figure out who the killer was until.it was revealed! I warn you ahead of time to make sure you have nothing going on when you start the book as you wontbe able to put it down.
Anne
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
good story, witty dialog, strong characters, fast paced and suspensful. I had no idea who the killer was until the very end when the author revealed him!

There were a few unanswered questions (which should have been wrapped up) and at least one "huh?" moment, but overall, good story.
Jenny
I believe I am so hooked already to this series.... and it's an older series that I just discovered and cannot freaking wait to divulge. I just pray they all hold the same steam, suspense and amazing characters....
Serena
Feb 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Amazing suspense! Parts made the hair on my neck stand up along with my blood pressure to rise. Can't wait to start the next one!
Outi
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
the story was nice, but I just didn't feel for the characters.
Marion
Oct 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Marion by: Pamela Peddy
Very intense and suspenseful. The book kept me captivated from the first page.
Steph
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book, very dark and suspenseful. I wasn't a huge fan of the insta-love but it played out nicely in the end. Good red herrings.
Emery
Dec 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
DNF
A M W
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
stupid female
  • Pursuit
  • Into Danger (S.A.S.S., #1)
  • Too Far Gone (SEAL Team 12, #6)
  • Dangerous Deception
  • Deadly Lies (Deadly, #3)
  • Operation: Endgame (When the Mission Ends, #1)
  • Perfect Weapon
  • Secrets in the Shadows (Shadows Collection/Leroy's Sins, #1)
  • An Eye For Danger
  • No Turning Back (Suspense Series, #3)
  • Profile of Evil (Profile, #1)
  • Dead Again
  • Never Say Never (Callahan Brothers, #2)
  • Catch Me If You Can (New Orleans Trilogy, #1)
  • Cover Me (Elite Force, #1)
  • Love You to Death
  • Hunt Her Down (Bullet Catcher, #7)

Deadly (5 books)
  • Deadly Ties (Deadly, #2)
  • Deadly Obsession (Deadly, #3)
  • Deadly Games (Deadly, #4)
  • Deadly Secrets (Deadly, #5)
“Well for God's sake, son she did warn you. Lord forbid any of my children do so great a task as heed advice, Jock said.” 1 likes