Start by marking “Strong Female Protagonist. Book One (Strong Female Protagonist, #1-4)” as Want to Read:
Strong Female Protagonist. Book One (Strong Female Protagonist, #1-4)

Strong Female Protagonist. Book One

(Strong Female Protagonist #1)

With superstrength and invulnerability, Alison Green used to be one of the most powerful superheroes around.

Fighting crime with other teenagers under the alter ego Mega Girl was fun - until an encounter with Menace, her mind-reading arch enemy, showed her evidence of a sinister conspiracy, and suddenly battling giant robots didn't seem so important.

Now Alison is going to
Published November 25th 2014 by Top Shelf Productions (first published July 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Strong Female Protagonist. Book One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strong Female Protagonist. Book One

Felicia
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I haven't been great about updating my graphic novel reading, it's hard to think of Goodreads as a place to review them, but why not, I have a shelf dammit! This is my latest read, a thick graphic novel that was crowd funded on Kickstarter, which is cool.

I'll be honest: the title was a bit of a turnoff for me. I think the phrase is so overused in media that I had to overcome a bit of unconscious reluctance to get into this. Thank goodness I overcame it! This is a really fun journey of a girl tr
Michael
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
One of the best aspects of NetGalley is that I get to try things that are a bit outside of my wheelhouse or that I wasn't previously aware of until I skimmed the latest offerings. It led me to discover the sublime Sex Criminals, Volume I last year and now I've come across another gem with Strong Female Protagonist.

This web-comic takes ingredients from some of the main-stream comic publishing events (Marvel's Civil War springs to mind) and the sensibility of Buffy and other Whedon-verse shows to offe
E
Nov 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
*** Received from NetGalley in exchange for honest review. ***

Strong Female Protagonist is a tie-in of webcomics about Alison Green, a retired super-heroine. With other teenage superheroes, she used to fight crime with her superstrength, but eventually she decided to lead a normal life and go to college.

To be honest, it's been a month since I read the first sixty pages and besides some accidents with her superstrength I can't recall what was going on. It happens to me only rarely th
Danika at The Lesbrary
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I actually read this in webcomic form, but I'm going to have to go out and buy this because I /loved/ it. This is my most philosophical, thought-provoking read in a long time. This examines superheros in so many different ways, presenting a whole array of ways to look at that possibility while tying them into a bigger narrative of power dynamics between people. Except that it's also just Allison's life, trying to discover who she is since she decided (as a teenager) to quit being a superhero whi ...more
Jes Reads
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Truly enjoyed this. I loved the story arc, when is enough enough? And is there really a place for superheros if they're only there to fight supervillians? If they all went away wouldn't things go back to normal? Loved our MC as well, which never happens with me and female leads.
Skye Kilaen
This may be the most thoughtful book about superheroes I've ever read. Alison Green used to be Mega Girl. She was really good at punching robots... until she discovered that punching robots couldn't save the world. Now she's in college, trying to live a normal life and figure out how to actually save the world. But things are more complicated when you have superpowers.

There is so much heart in this book, so much love for Alison, and Alison has such deep love for people. Mulligan and
Maia
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This story opens with Allison Green, retired superhero, celebrating her 20th birthday and heading home to college after winter break. In a moment of inattention she steps in front of a bus- which severely damages the bus but does not effect her at all, since she developed powers of super strength and invulnerability at puberty. She is one of many teens world wide gifted or cursed with biodynamism, the sudden unexplained onset of powers of various usefulness (think X-men). She and three others fo ...more
Zedsdead
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This. This is what The Adventures of Superhero Girl wants to be when it grows up.

While it does improve markedly, the art early on was occasionally a problem. It looks like a series of concept drawings, and sloppy composition had word balloons pointing to the wrong character a couple times. Also, the baggage-laden title could use some work.

But it's damned smart, challenging writing. Alison is a 19yo retired Superman-esque superhero, a sophomore in college, and a frustrated idealist. She wrestles wi
Frances
Five stars, which is what I give to books so good I believe you should read them even if they are not your genre at all. It's also all free online, at Strong Female Protagonist.

I started reading it expecting... a kind of comedy of manners, I guess. Superhero dealing with university life! How wacky, yeah?

Twenty pages in, it hooked me. It got... well, it wasn't ever un-smart, but it got pointed. Then there was the TV interview scene in issue 2, and issue 3 has a beautiful story arc with Feral. I really cann
Amy
OMFG. That was amazing! Succeeds where all the other superhero-am-I-really-doing-any-lasting-good? Or because-I-can-save-the-world-does-that-mean-I-should storylines fail .... because really that is the whole storyline: a former "superhero" who's admitted she's just a kid who doesn't know what she's doing and goes on to try and figure out what is the best thing to do with her life as a human. Feels all around, a family unit (she's not an orphan!) everyone will wish was theirs, and some good old ...more
Alexa
I read this online first and I still love it. It's one of the best and cleverest superhero stories I've ever read, with complex characters, and addressing some really interesting ethical concerns surrounding superheroes. It also includes the line "I don't really identify as a person... but I am trying very hard to do good things" and I dare you to write anything better than that as an answer to the question "are you a good person?".
Jessica-Robyn
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Strong Female Protagonist is exactly what I want in a story about tights and capes. Not only is this wonderful graphic novel full of well written characters and wonderful art, but it does what many superhero stories are afraid to do. It asks the reader to apply the idea of real world consequences to the familiar landscape of a superhero narrative.

Strong Female Protagonist is not about the Kick! Punch! Bang!. (Although there is certainly some of that.) Instead, its primary focus is centered on buildin
Anne Nerison
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, this was fantastic. I kind of figured it would be, from the moment I spotted it at Fitgers Books. Reasons I love Strong Female Protagonist:
1) The title. I mean, really. It's pretty much my genre kryptonite, as the good folks over at Book Riot would call it.
2) The book's blurb. A former superhero trying to be "normal"? Yes, please.
3) Graphic novel.
4) At the beginning of the first chapter, there's a note that the original online comic had mouseover text, which is included at the bottom of every
Alisha Ali
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Strong female protagonist is a bind up of 5 issues of a webseries that got funding through kickstarter to become this little book.

I'm not the biggest fan of graphic novels as they never have enough story for my liking.

Overall it was an ok experience but not one that I'll be tripping over myself to recommend.
Trin
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting and well done, but fairly familiar territory at this point.
Mandy
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read for Book Riot Read Harder Challenge: A comic by an LGBTQIA creator
Sierra
**A digital reading copy was provided to me via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

I wanted to love this book... I really, really did. It has an interesting premise, the title is great, and I love that the creators followed through on what they promised. But I only liked it, I couldn't make myself love it.

The world that was created in this series reminded me a little bit of The Incredibles (in a good way). Like The Incredibles, the world knows about the existence of (numero
Goreting
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is a collection of the first 4 volumes of Strong Female Protagonist.
I really liked the artwork and colouring, but found that the content didn't quite live up tho the expectations.
I did enjoy the story of Alison and her adventures into 'superheroland', but I think they could've been better.
Felicia
This was an enjoyable graphic novel. I don't have a lot to say about it, the story was interesting and I did want to know what happened to the characters. I'll continue on with the series.
Brooke Smith
Jun 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, graphic-novels
DNF.

Things I didn't like, but weren't insurmountable:
- the sketchbook style of the illustration. I feel it distracts from the often-convoluted storyline
- the plot. At times it just came across as trite. I didn't feel like Alison was a strong female protagonist, unless it's a joke on her physical strength. Maybe I missed the joke.

Things that made it DNF:
- The footnotes. On. every. page. It's distracting and it adds NOTHING to the story at all. It's lik
erin
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is beyond 5 stars for the concept and compelling direction of, shall we say, critical superhero theory? Also for the complexity of our strong female protagonist, Alison. Also for the commentary on activism, general do-goodery, and the beginnings of nuanced discussions of how to go about healing what is crappy in the world. There are a lot of alsos for this...

Overall a 4.5 for me, as some of the writing landed flat. But, in addition to the bits mentioned above that I am smitten w
Allison
Jan 31, 2015 added it
Shelves: dnf, netgalley
I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

Ehhh. DNF.

I want to love this because the title is awesome and the premise is super interesting, but the execution is going to keep me from finishing or really getting started at all.

The novel needs to be read on Adobe Digital Editions, but it's super poor quality and very hard to read. I attempted to muddle through it for a couple of pages, but it's hard on my eyes. I'm literally squinting while trying to
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This was a fun comic! I'm not great about keeping up with webcomics, so I probably won't read it in real time, but I'll definitely check out Book Two if they publish it. My favorite character was actually Feral, so I'd love to see more of her, and also to get a better idea of what Patrick is up to.
I know some people found the captions distracting, but I thought they were cute.
Overall I enjoyed this and I'd recommend it to fans of independent comics.

Received from Ne
Erin Maher
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Everyone who loves superheroes should read this book. Everyone who thinks there isn't anything new to say about superheroes should read this book. Everyone who gets sad about the world not being better than it is should read this book. Everyone who wants to change the world should change the world. Everyone should just read it okay, that's what I'm getting at here.
Jason
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2015
First read through NetGalley, and I'm pretty pleased with my selection! Good exploration of how people would deal with real-life superpowered individuals. And the 4-issue/volume collection is a good way to quickly catch up on the webcomic.
Karla Feldstein
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-books
I loved it. I absolutely adored it. I can't wait to read more in the story.
Mark Robison
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you have any interest in superhero comics, feminism, and the philosophy of ethics, you'll love this. I know I did. The story telling feels a bit disjointed because you’re thrown into the middle of a story where a young woman was an invincible superhero but gave that up to go back to school in order to learn how to help people on a larger scale.

Consider this idea: There's another invincible woman who, if say her arm is hacked off, she'll grow another one. So she decides to be a constant organ
Bryan
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The main character’s dilemma and overall situation going on in this world this book has created reminded me of 2 other comics I’ve previously read; Watchmen and The Adventures of Superhero Girl. One of those titles I absolutely despised and the other I recall being enjoyable in a fluffy sort of way. This book I felt had just done a fantastic job with its premise.

It’d be difficult to go into specific details about certain characters and plot without having to apply the dreaded “spoile
Morgoth Jr
This was a cute webcomic to follow on the 'net, and it carries over just as well into print.
Our protagonist, once a star superheroine, has given up her life of crime-fighting in favor of a story more focused on dealing with the aftermath of being a crime-fighter, and, more pressingly, what it means to be 'heroic' and 'good' - concepts that are more complicated than what a bulletproof, superstrong middle schooler donning spandex thought.
"I know what it's like to live in a paper world,
Mayla :)
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it

It was fine. The story was a great idea, and the art was good but I feel like I didn't really get to fully understand the characters and experience their world. The book started in the present, with small flashbacks to the past. I think we need like an origin story issue or something. And for a book called Strong Female Protagonist, it wasn't a very feminist book, which was disappointing. But the thing that bothered me the most was the little comments at the bottom. This was
Around the Year i...: Strong Female Protagonist, by Brennan Lee Mulligan 3 20 May 15, 2017 05:32PM

• O Human Star, Volume One
  • Giant Days Vol. 8 (Giant Days, #8)
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 2
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 2: The Show Must Go On
  • Princeless: Raven the Pirate Princess Book 1: Captain Raven and the All-Girl Pirate Crew
  • Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat! #1
  • The Adventures of Superhero Girl
  • Out of Time (Lumberjanes, Vol. 4)
  • Part-Time Princesses
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 3: Squirrel, You Really Got Me Now
  • Takio
  • Ivy
  • Moose
  • Hopeless Savages: Greatest Hits 2000-2010
  • Steven Universe and the Crystal Gems
  • Sink or Swim (Lumberjanes, Vol. 6)
  • Henni
Brennan Lee Mulligan is a writer, improviser, and actor living in New York. He performs on Harold Night at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater and is a member of the UCB Touring Company. He once had a cantaloupe thrown at his head in the middle of a dinner party, and he chopped it perfectly in half with a sword, earning eternal glory for himself and his ancestors.

He graduated from the

Strong Female Protagonist (2 books)
  • Strong Female Protagonist: Book Two (Strong Female Protagonist, #5 and 6)
“I fantasize about killing people all the time. I think about how easy it would be. What if I just started showing up to Kitan rallies with an I-beam? Knock down the capitol building, force them to pass Universal Health Care, stuff aevery Ayn Rand fanatic into a big mason jar and hurl them into the sun. I could do it, you know. I really could. And then there's these people with their fucking sneers going 'You're a monster! You're a thug! You kill people!' No fucking shit I kill people!! I put holes in mountains! I break shit constantly without even trying! I saved the world on no less than seven fucking occasions, and guess what, super-accuracy is not one of my anomalies! Am I supposed to be impressed that you've never killed anybody? What a bold moral choice from a person who's terrified of violence and scared shitless of going to jail! It's like, have you ever had the option of murdering a bunch of people!? Okay, then why the fuck am I listening to your opinion on the matter!? Every day I don't kill a thousand fucking people, they should throw me a god-damned tickertape parade!” 5 likes
“We want any effort on our part to be the winning effort. We don't want to be a drop in the bucket, we want to be the entire ocean.” 4 likes