Start by marking “The Digital Doctor: Hope, Hype, and Harm at the Dawn of Medicine's Computer Age” as Want to Read:
The Digital Doctor: Hope, Hype, and Harm at the Dawn of Medicine's Computer Age

The Digital Doctor: Hope, Hype, and Harm at the Dawn of Medicine's Computer Age

While modern medicine produces miracles, it also delivers care that is too often unsafe, unreliable, unsatisfying, and impossibly expensive. For the past few decades, technology has been touted as the cure for all of healthcare's ills.

But medicine stubbornly resisted computerization - until now. Over the past five years, thanks largely to billions of dollars in federal inc
Published April 1st 2015 by McGraw-Hill Education

To ask other readers questions about The Digital Doctor, please sign up.
Eileen Chamberlain I found it really interesting. The breadth of health systems covered was excellent. I don't think the good doctor believes that the systems will ever …moreI found it really interesting. The breadth of health systems covered was excellent. I don't think the good doctor believes that the systems will ever replace people, and like you I agree with him, but in our ever constant striving to reduce the input of humans we may hurt people along the way. But that's in every aspect of our lives really.

What worries me is the overburdensome systems in place today that are not providing the safeguards for clinicians (and we patients), even though they claim to be doing just that.(less)

Start your review of The Digital Doctor: Hope, Hype, and Harm at the Dawn of Medicine's Computer Age
Austin
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it
This was an informative book, albeit one whose scope is much narrower than I originally thought. After all, 'digital' encompasses much more than just EHRs, which is the real focus of Digital Doctor. On the other hand, I didn't know just how large a role EHRs actually play: Turns out they are absolutely central to the functioning of modern medical facilities.

Many of the issues and opportunities Wachter explores apply equally well to other aspects of the digitization of healthcare, including the
Måns Magnusson
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pinpoints a lot of the problems with EHR (Electronic Health Record) systems. In Europe, we have even more problems trying to introduce American systems that don't fit our health care system.

Some highlights that I remember from the top of my head:

- Alarm fatigue: The system gives you so many alarms that you don't see the important ones. If a system or device does not make an alarm when something goes bad, the manufacturer is responsible. But there is no responsibility of having alarms go off with
Robert
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mix of incidents and analyses of the impact of the increasing use of technology, especially of electronic health records, in medicine.
Darren
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Technology will transform the healthcare sector – this has been the promise for many years, yet in many cases it has been a costly, backward step.

In the world where everyone can be a home doctor thanks to Google, it can be easy to forget just how dependent hospitals and the medical world are on information technology. Yet it has not been plain sailing for healthcare professionals, who have been often slaves to a very expensive, inflexible machine.

This book looks at the great march of technology
Bobby  Title
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: medicine
I am not in the medical field, nor am I involved with IT in any way, other than an interest in them. I have loved all of Abraham Verghese's books and when I heard BookTV's presentation of Wachter's book and Berghese's moderating Wachter's presentation, I knew I would find this book to my liking.

It certainly was as interesting as I expected it to be. But I was rather surprised with myself over my gut reactions: After I started reading the book on day one, I found myself lying in bed that night th
Vernon Smith
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book written by an amazing physician. I can easily see why he is currently referred to as the most influential doctor. Bob Wachter is a storyteller; able to weave an understandable tale around some very complex topics. He is self-depricating in his analysis of the current Health IT environment while clearly still possessing an immense depth in understanding of the topic. He concludes that while the current health IT offerings are poor, they are better than what we had before. He encou ...more
Jim Gleason
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
book review by Steve Okonek:
Have you ever left a medical appointment thinking your doctor interacted more with her computer screen than you? Health care’s long immunity to computers had been remarkable when compared to other industries, until we entered the 21st Century. Now it too has fallen under the spell that digital technology improves the performance of everything it touches.
UCSF’s Chair of the Department of Medicine, Robert Wachter explores the good, bad and repugnant of we patients beco
Jonna Higgins-Freese
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Interesting analysis of the role of ACA spending on IT (quoting former ONC Director Brailer saying that he would not have spent money on subsidies to digitize offices but on "standards, interoperability, a 'Geek Squad' to help with training and implementation, and creating a cloud-based 'medical Internet'" (18)

In 2008 only 17% of med offices had basic EHR! (12)
1. Expenses would be borne by independent physician practices (provide 60% of US patient care), but benefits would accrue to others, sin
Chris Weatherburn
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Digital Doctor: Hope, Hype, and Harm at the Dawn of Medicine's Computer Age by Robert M. Wachter

Good account of modern day health care and the requirements for digital to be implemented. Provides balanced arguments of the risks and benefits of digital implementation. Summarises some (mainly US) history including Barack Obama and President Bush pledges to fix this. Touches on large issues in the field of clinical informatics such as interoperability and the rise of some companies such as EPIC
Claudia Tessier
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As both a participant and observer in health informatics, I found this book to be a thoughtful overview of the evolution of the digital doctor: its initial vision, its beginnings, its difficulties, its false starts, its current reality, and its potential to make healthcare better for its practitioners as well as for those they serve, i.e., the patients. Wachter does all this by integrating his own experiences and knowledge with those of the myriad of experts he interviewed. It is well written an ...more
Jonathan
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pallav Sharda
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Most of the books that focus on innerworkings of American healthcare system hover around history, politics and whats-wrong-today perspectives. They are boring, esp. for outsiders.

This book is entertaining. It reads more like a TV sitcom - describing characters, incidents. So it's different enough in that perspective alone to warrant a read.

The history and issues are explained (as usual) - so that may be repetitive for some. Interesting add-on flavor is the frequent dives into the culture in medi
D.C. Lozar
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a Family Practice Physician deeply concerned about the interposition of technology between my profession and the patients I care for, I found Robert Wachter's, "The Digital Doctor," highly informative and thought-provoking. We stand on the cusp of a new age in medicine, one that is both exciting and dangerous. Mr. Wachter did a fantastic job of showing both sides of this growing debate in a way that allowed the reader to develop their own bias and provided supporting evidence for each argumen ...more
Erlend Skaga
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately I was disappointed by the book. It takes 100 pages to go through the invention of patient records and how previous radiology rounds functioned etc. until todays systems, which seems far more exhaustive than necessary in a book trying to address the new computational technology in medicine. It further elaborates extensively in one major mistake in which a patient was harmed due to human and technological errors, before it discusses some upsides and downsides of technology and AI in ...more
Satrughan Kumar Singh
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
TL;DR Summary : "When it comes to healthcare, writing code is the easiest piece of the puzzle"

Lengthier Version:
As a software engineer reading it, in an age where anyone who can write afew decent lines of code is considered a rockstar, this book humbled me.

It showed me enough to get me to understand that the most challenging problems of our time wont be solved just by dumping technologies at it, but by supporting it with proper policies and processes.

It showed me that although the ability to w
Daniel Chen
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Engrossing narrative that describes the past, present, and future of digital medicine and how we can take the lessons learnt from the implementation of EHRs and apply them to other telemedicine technologies. Wachter spends a good chunk of the book describing the history of EHRs and the pitfalls it has gone through. Albeit far from perfect, the technology gives insight to the future of how technology intertwines with physician-patient interactions.

Wachter also highlights the different problems im
Rachel
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Excellent presentation of the benefits and the dangers of modern Health IT. I appreciated the numerous examples given throughout the book to support thoughts or opinions. The plethora of interviews and differing opinions gave the book an overall unbiased look at current Health IT as well as the future of it. I appreciated the author's attempt at instilling the idea of medicine as being human. Although robots and digitization may help with safety and quality, medicine still requires a large part ...more
Justin
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thorough and interesting explanation for the layperson who wants to understand the role tech plays in the modern the health industry and how it got to be (especially in the US) so wacky. Spoiler: the road to hell is paved with ideas that sounded good at the time.

This is not one of those books where the author harps on and on trying to convince you of the same one or two ideas. It's complicated stuff, without simple solutions, and the author does a great job of explaining how it works, what's bro
Bryan
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was both fascinating and too close to reality. In reading it, the scenarios had a very true and personal ring to them. People often complain that health care providers (physicians, nurses, etc) spend too much time in front of a computer. This is both colleagues and patients/family members saying this, and it’s true. But it’s a double-edged sword. If you aren’t dotting your I’s and crossing your T’s, you haven’t done your job and there’s no reimbursement. But if you are, you’re not spen ...more
Jason Hamm
Nov 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Wachter gave a great synopsis of the state of technology in the medical field. Great examples and anecdotal stories to go along with his opinion.

He also gives his version of what the future in health care is going to look like.

This was an interesting book, but wasn't a page turner for me.
Josh
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read

A fantastic book on the evolution of IT in healthcare. Should be interesting to everyone, even if you're not in IT or Healthcare. Wachter addresses some of the key challenges and promises of tech in healthcare with a lot of interesting stories, and he does it all with style and wit.
Christopher Benassi
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The 1st half of the book is a definite "5 stars"...very well researched and provides the reader with a great foundation in EMRs and the legislation/regulation

The second half of the book is maybe "3 stars" - it is much more qualitative and feels redundant to many of the points made earlier in the book.

Overall, the first half alone makes it a great read and I would highly recommend
James Ingold
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Robert Wachter weaves together the history of healthcare IT with innovations and pitfalls that happened along the way. All while giving us a report from the frontlines of EHR adoption and implementation. Wachter tells us where we are, how we got there and where we could possibly go in the future. The Digital Doctor is a must read for anyone in the healthcare IT industry.
Erin
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think the author wrote this book as a "letter" of sorts to his fellow healthcare providers. . . Like a "Dear Future Doctor or Nurse" time capsule letter. Very informative. Very interesting. Very thought provoking.
Elizabeth
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful overview of digital’s impact on medicine, the patient experience, and the clinician’s efficacy. Learned about the impact of HITECH, the ONC, and the contributions of David Blumenthal. Great perspective on the future of medicine in the digital age.
Saket Saurabh
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pick your copy today if you are a believer in tech driven healthcare, if a cynic then it makes even more sense. Very detailed account but is not overdone. The author did have access to people who matter.
Aaron
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Entertaining expose of modern healthcare IT, but it reads as a dated academic physician in a modern system reminiscing of times past. Probably most interesting for recent internal medicine resident graduates who lived through the anecdotes first hand.
Emes
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Intelligent and eloquent written.
Matt Lavin
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
He spent more time talking about how things can be bad rather than how things could be good. It was nice to see how some people in the medical profession view technology changes.
Vijay Gaikwad
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great overview of the landscape of healthcare IT

This book is great for any tech entrepreneur to understand the impact of technology on different industries and not only healthcare
« previous 1 3 next »

• Deep Medicine: How Artificial Intelligence Can Make Healthcare Human Again
  • The Patient Will See You Now: The Future of Medicine is in Your Hands
  • An American Sickness: How Healthcare Became Big Business and How You Can Take It Back
  • Bottle of Lies: The Inside Story of the Generic Drug Boom
  • Innovator's Prescription
  • The Healing of America: A Global Quest for Better, Cheaper, and Fairer Health Care
  • The Guide to the Future of Medicine: Technology AND The Human Touch
  • Before Disrupting Healthcare: What Innovators Need To Know
  • Priced Out: The Economic and Ethical Costs of American Health Care
  • Where Does It Hurt?: An Entrepreneur's Guide to Fixing Health Care
  • Mao's Great Famine: The History Of China's Most Devastating Catastrophe, 1958-62
  • Introduction To The Old Testament
  • Not Bosses But Leaders: How to Lead the Way to Success
  • I Think of You: Stories

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“I hope you're appreciating the rich irony here: hospitals and doctors are using the Medicare subsidy (Medicare is the federal agency that doles out the HITECH dollars) to buy computer systems that allow them to bill Medicare more effectively.” 1 likes
“a famous 1925 lecture given by Professor Francis Peabody to the Harvard medical student body:             The good physician knows his patients through and through, and his knowledge is bought dearly. Time, sympathy, and understanding must be lavishly dispensed, but the reward is to be found in that personal bond which forms the greatest satisfaction of the practice of medicine. One of the essential qualities of the clinician is interest in humanity, for the secret of the care of the patient is in caring for the patient.” 1 likes