Start by marking “Love and Miss Communication” as Want to Read:
Love and Miss Communication

Love and Miss Communication

This unforgettable debut novel asks us to look up from our screens and out at the world . . . and to imagine what life would be like with no searches, no status updates, no texts, no Tweets, no pins, and no posts

Evie Rosen has had enough. She's tired of the partners at her law firm e-mailing her at all hours of the night. The thought of another online date makes her break
Published May 12th 2015 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Love and Miss Communication, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love and Miss Communication

Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!

No more stalking people on Google
No more Facebooking exes
No more reading tweets on Twitter
No more posting pictures and waiting for likes
No more hashtagging meaningless combination of words
No more instagramming every instant
....

Can you do it? Because I will tell you the truth, I CANNOT.

I'm not on social media every day. But to just leave them all for a very long time?? Uhhhhh. Yeah, no, I cant. But that's exactly what Evie did when she got her heart broken by her ex boyfriend through Face
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

"No more stalking people on Google.
No more Facebooking exes.
No more reading twits on Twitter.
No more posting pictures and waiting for “likes.”
No more refreshing Gmail every thirty seconds.
No more hashtagging meaningless combinations of words.
No more Instagramming every instant.
No more Foursquaring her whereabouts.
No more bidding on eBay for the thrill of competition.
No more pretend job hunting on Monster.
No more blogs. (She was slandered on one, for God’s sake!)
No more watching two-ye
Melissa
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thought Love and Miss Communication: A Novel was clever in terms of the premise. It's not often that someone can just quit using the Internet and texting at the same time. Society is so ingrained in being accessible somehow. Even I am guilty of being more connected with friends who are on Facebook. Elyssa Friedland perfectly addresses how dependent people are on the Internet and how it affects social life when you don't have an online presence.

The story is well-told and flows nicely throughout
Raven Haired Girl
May 19, 2015 added it
Shelves: 2015
Cute story but there was much to explore in the unplugged/off the grid area. Endless skipped opportunities Friedland could have capitalized on.

Friedland was on to something with great potential, by taking another direction she missed plenty of areas to expand and delve deeper. Further development could have vastly improved the entire book. Evie and the weak plot left me at a loss.

For this and other reviews visit http://ravenhairedgirl.com
Simone Praylow
Jul 28, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a MISS for me. I didn't like the writing style, the paragraphs seemed to drag on with no real destination. it was almost like listening to someone ramble on and on about something that had nothing to do with the subject at hand. The theme was supposed to be about disconnecting from social media and while it was about that, I feel like it could have been tied in better than it was. Some areas of the book were like YES but others were totally me thinking about my next meal because the boo ...more
Henrietta
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Featured on InStyle Magazine as one of their 6 New Page-Turners to Read in May, Love and Miss Communication shares the story of Evie Rosen, an ambitious woman whose life is about to turn upside down because of her online habit. Can she get her life back in order before her savings run out?

I find it touching (and surprisingly refreshing) to read a story about a protagonist who chooses to stop using the internet. With friends who depend on texting and emailing to stay in touch, Evie certainly miss
Salisa
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Iwill keep this short and simple.

I was attracted towards reading this not because of the cover but because of the title.

It took a while for me to take to the book but I did. A s I am glad I read I read it.

Evie is someone a lot of the modern young woman would understand. I loved the secondary characters. They played an important part in the whole plot.

There is family, friends, love etc. A woman trying to accomplish a successful professional and personal life.

Not easy. Miss Elyssa did a good j
Pam Jenoff
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this debut about a woman who responds the the unexpected curve balls life throws at her in career and love (all at once!) by unplugging entirely and for good. You will laugh and feel and wonder what it would be like if we all looked up from our screens for awhile. Enjoy!
Asheley
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I had THE BEST time reading this book, cover to cover. I mean, I loved it.

In the beginning of the book, Evie and her smartphone are like one entity. She arrives dreadfully late for a very special wedding because she can't put her phone down. She has a wardrobe + phone mishap because she has no pockets and she wants to literally have it on her person so she doesn't miss any calls or emails (big project at work!). She has big, huge problems at work because of Internet use.

There are more Internet
Melinda
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Let's start with the good--and there is a lot of good here. I guess the proper review format would be to save my "bottom line" for the end of this, but I'm going to be a rebel and start with it. I really enjoyed this book and it was exactly what I needed when I read it.

Friedland's writing style is exceptionally good for this type of book in that there seems to be a fair amount depth to her writing and she fleshes out the main character of Evie quite nicely.The secondary characters are more one-d
Emily
Oct 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Predictable schlock that gives chick lit a bad name. Warning, vitriol to follow, because in the end, I HATED everything this book stands for. Yet another perpetuation of the stereotype that women only find true fulfillment through feminine pursuits and marriage/babies.

Evie is a successful attorney who after losing her job, decides to quit the internet. This could-have-been interesting plot line almost immediately takes a backseat to Evie's pathetic schoolgirl obsession with her ex and other equ
Elifnaz
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Kolay okunan ve sonunda telefonumdan uzakta kalmamı sağlayan bir sosyal medyadan arınma hikayesi.
Tabi ki konu sadece bu değil. Evie'nin karmaşık hayatı ana noktamız.
Bir gün evlenmek istemediğini söyleyen eski sevgilisinin onlar ayrıldıktan bir kaç ay sonra evlendiğini facebook üzerinden öğrendiğinde ve yine sosyal medya üzerinde harcadığı vakitten dolayı işsiz kaldığında sosyal medyayla olan ilişkisine bir son vererek bilgisayarını da atıyor ve yeni bir yola başlıyor.
Nedense bana Novella'nın v
Jessica
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers.

I give this book 3.5 stars which rounds up to 4.

I really liked the premise of this book. Giving up the internet is a really tough thing to do in today's world. However, I felt that the execution of the story could have been better. It drags a bit in the first half/middle. I would have liked to seen more of how the internet withdrawals affected her. She didn't seem to have too much difficulty giving it up. The story was also a b
Toki
Jul 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Ali Winter
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be totally captivating, equally well thought out and executed, and a total pleasure to read. It's the book that makes you rush through your daily obligations to maximize reading time and the book that causes sadness when you hit the fourth quarter and realize your days together are numbered. I can't recommend it enough.
Betsy
Jun 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Crap. Crap, crap, crap. Amateurishly written, ineptly edited and the waste of a decent plot idea. The main character is shallow and totally unlikable and everyone else is a cliche. So why did I keep reading? Because I kept thinking it was going to improve. Man, was I wrong.
Elyssa (Elyssa's Editions)
Fun book with important messaging about what our priorities should be and how to balance work and life! I read this for a popsugar challenge of an author who shares a name with me.

May 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
I might have fallen for this book in my early twenties--but the plot is way too easy and predictable for this mid-thirties gal. A simple beach read. I do like the idea of giving up the Internet as Evie does though. (As I write my online book review...)
Liviania
May 24, 2015 rated it liked it
LOVE AND MISS COMMUNICATION looked super cute. It's the story of Evie Rosen, who gets fired for sending too many personal emails and discovers that her commitment-phobe ex got married six months after their breakup on Facebook, and decides to stay off the Internet for a year. I spent the first half of the book wanting to shake Evie out of her self-absorbed funk.

I wasn't surprised by the zeal she brings to her decision to leave the Internet behind; there's nothing like the converted to disdain th
Becky
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Thirty-four-year-old Evie Rosen is at a crossroads. Still smarting over a breakup with her ex - who claimed he was against marriage - and seemingly unable to find Mister Right, she finds herself increasingly fed up with the dating game and everything that goes with it. But at least she has her career.

Until she doesn't.

After being fired over a bevy of personal emails the company claims broke their server, Evie decides enough is enough. No more internet. No more email. And best of all, no more c
Voluptueusement Votre

Un résumé tentant, une couverture accrocheuse, voilà ce qui m’a séduite la première fois que j’ai vu Evie Offline. J’ai trouvé le concept de la déconnexion totale à l’ère du numérique très originale et j’avais hâte de me plonger dedans.

Dès les premières lignes, la vie d’Evie nous saute aux yeux : elle est mariée à son travail et son blackberry, c’est une bosseuse, elle est déterminée qui à des objectifs bien définis. Cependant, son addiction aux réseaux so
Tara Chevrestt
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I have often thought about what a waste of time the social networking sites are, cesspools of one-up-manship, jealousy, bragging, and fakeness. I mean, seriously, we don't post pictures of ourselves looking like crap and just how often do we say how we really feel? And when we do, nobody can handle it and it becomes an online fight. And yes, I gave up Facebook. I'd like to see others try it. OMG. What did we do before we could sit here all day and "like" 50 selfies a day?

So I appreciated this st
Leonel
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was ok

I thought Elyssa Friedland’s “Love and Miss Communications” was going to be a fun read, but it turned out to be a tedious one. The main character, Evie, is so unlikeable, and kind of stupid. She is supposed to be an educated lawyer, but she kept on doing one horrible act after another, and when bad things happen her way, I wasn’t able to sympathize, never mind empathize with what she was feeling. (Her internalized homophobia is a major turn off ) There are
Suzanne
Feb 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This is a straight-forward Millennial Romance. Our protagonist is facing her 35th birthday, recently broke up with her Famous Chef boyfriend because he wasn't keen on marriage, and spends too much time online. If she (or the author) had been of a different generation, her foibles might have been explored with more humor, because the potential is there. While there are no surprises in this story, it provides exactly what it offers: a romance steeped in very current issues where everyone is beauti ...more
Cintya Larasinta
Ah akhirnya selesai sudah... Tokoh utamanya bnr2 menyebalkan n goblok. Dia memiliki sifat buruk yg mmt ampun mengesalkan sehingga membuatku menggeleng2 dan menggumpat2 thdp Evie. Bahkan Evie yg bgtu kebingungan n plin-plan memiliki perasaan Edward serta kembali memiliki rasa utk Jack yg prnh meninggalkan Evie. Pdhl sdh jls Edward telah menaruh cinta pd Evie ini. Aku saja lbh menyukai Edward drpd Jack si Koki sok congkak n kepedean selangit.
Salisa
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, romance
I will keep this small and simple.

The name was what brought me to this book. I loved the topic that this story/plot brought forward. Social Media has become a very important part of us. It wouldn't be wrong to say that some of us are very addicted to it.

It took me a while for me to take to the book but I did eventually did.

For any chick lit lovers, you won't it is a great book to read at our free time.
Molly
Jan 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
If I wasn't reading this book for book club I would have NEVER finished it. Unfortunately I had to stick it out to its sappy and utterly predictable ending. It's not even worth taking time to write a bad review. I wish I had the hours back that I wasted reading this book.
Tracy
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a light read. I was very interested in the idea of living the way we used to, sans computer technology, and I was excited about Edward. But the story felt way too long for me. I did not need the flipping and flipping of the entire last thirdish of the book.
Julie
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed "Love and Miss Communication". The writing was effortless and very easy to read and I enjoyed the storyline. This book kept my attention and throughout, I found myself wanting to know how it was all going to end! *Won book through Goodreads First Reads.
WILEN JBF: Love and Miscommunication by Elyssa Friedland 1 4 May 25, 2015 05:19AM
  • What's Never Said
  • The Best of Enemies
  • The Idea of Love
  • How to Start a Fire
  • Sweet Forgiveness
  • The Bolingbroke Chit (Love Takes Root Book 4)
  • Stolen Art
  • The Forever Year
  • The Turning
  • She's the Boss (Romantic Comedy)
  • A Tightly Raveled Mind