Start by marking “The Temple of Doubt (The Temple of Doubt, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Temple of Doubt (The Temple of Doubt, #1)

The Temple of Doubt

(The Temple of Doubt #1)

“Fiercely original with a capable and plucky heroine, The Temple of Doubt rips open a door to a fresh new fantasy world.” —Amalie Howard, author of the Aquarathi series and Alpha Goddess

It’s been two six-days since a falling star crashed into the marshes beyond Port Sapphire, putting the wilds of Kuldor off-limits to fifteen-year-old Hadara. She feels this loss deeply and
Published August 4th 2015 by Sky Pony

Start your review of The Temple of Doubt (The Temple of Doubt, #1)
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Thanks to Edelweiss and Sky Pony Press for giving me this book to review.

Hadara’s life changes when a falling star crashes near her home in the off-limits wilds, where she and her mother pick illegal herbs to heal people, which is believed to be heresy. Two powerful priests arrive to investigate the star as they think it is a demon come to try and destroy the God Nihil. Hadara and her mother are chosen to be guides in the wilds but Hadara doubts the truth she has been taught about the sacred an
Pixel
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy fans, characterization geeks
Shelves: great-4-stars
With an intelligent protagonist and a fresh take on fantasy, plus a cast of complex and interesting supporting characters on the side, Anne Boles Levy's The Temple of Doubt is an intriguing first impression.

I remember two years ago when I first heard about this book. I also remember how badly I wanted to read it, how badly I wanted to fall in love with it, to fall in love with its heroine. I am so glad that all of those wishes came true.

Just like Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak, this book really m
Kuzu
Apr 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
There were interesting elements to the world-building (I picked it up at first because it seemed like the author might have used Jewish inspirations, and that's definitely true, in the naming and the use of the term "dybbuk" to describe a supernatural creature), but nothing comes together at all. If you asked me to trace the protagonist's character arc, I couldn't. I'm not sure she actually learned anything or changed in any way. Similarly the secondary characters, even the villains–at no point ...more
Charlotte
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, rc-15
The Temple of Doubt introduces one of the most believable speculative fiction teenage protagonists I've read in a long time, a girl named Hadara, who finds herself unwillingly placed at the center of events that not only shatter the pattern of her own life, but will probably change her whole world.

It starts with a shooting star, falling into the swampy heart of her island home. Soon after, two high priests of the god Nihil and their military retinue arrive from overseas, taking over the place, a
Luke Morris
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
'The Temple of Doubt' defied any expectations I might have held for it. It's a young adult fantasy, but it gives us no dragons, elves, or wizard schools. The female protagonist doesn't wield a bow and arrow (or any other weapon), and she isn't caught up in an awkward love triangle between handsome but tortured rebels (or handsome but tortured supernatural monsters). Magic doesn't solve all problems, and even seems to create more problems than it solves.

What Ms. Levy's novel DOES give us is a str
Christina
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: have-a-copy
I hate rating books. I didn't dislike it, but I didn't absolutely love it so... 3.5 stars?

As a whole, the concept of this book was interesting. I like the thought of a rebel against religious fanaticism. But the entire society was annoying. They were completely puritanical, and it made reading about certain things almost painful.

Things that were awesome about this book
The Gek creatures. I mean come on. Lizard people? That's pretty cool. The magic that was used was also pretty neat. The overall p
Elizabeth Drake
Jun 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Quit at 25 pages.

This world is really strange and poorly described. The religion is extremely confusing and I was getting frustrated trying to understand what the heck is going on. Things were not going well but I could have hung in there.

Then I hit a scene that really disturbed me

"He held me by some unseen force, rooted to the spot, angry prickles burning my flesh that didn't spare any part of me, and burned most fiercely between my thighs. I panicked, clenched my legs tighter, and grabbed at
Cathy
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads
I received this book from entering a Goodreads drawing.

I liked The Temple of Doubt very much. It is well written and the main character, Hadara, is very likable, intelligent and strong. The story flows quickly and it was easy getting absorbed by what was happening. I found it a quick read and am looking forward to book two.
Becca W
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway.
I give this book 4 stars for creativity and originality. Everything about this book was so different from all the other books I've read. The book was a good read overall, and I'm glad to have been able to read it.
I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a creative read!
I hope you enjoy The Temple of Doubt by Anne Boles Levy!
May 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recieved A Free Copy From A Giveaway (Goodreads)

This was actually more interesting than I expected! And it made you think about religion, and government, in the process. Maybe it was only me, but the entire issue with control, what you can and cannot do, what is right and wrong..just seemed entirely real to me. I would most definitely recommend this to everyone.
Rachel
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, firstreads
I received this book from the Goodreads First Reads program.
An original story with a lovable, if clumsy, heroine. This was only the beginning and I find myself already speculating as to what will happen in the next installment. I am hoping a certain character is not really dead, and that some of the heroines new found gifts will prove their worth in the next book.
Pam
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. New world. Totally new belief system. Much love.
Sharon
Oct 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
DNF.
Hope
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First, I won this book from goodreads first reads. And am thankful for it.

Second there is trigger warnings for this book; mentioned rape and attempted rape, as well as an odd seen where the main character is kind of magically molested. There's also some body horror towards the end if I remember correctly.

This book gets really intense towards the end. In fact, it's a slow build until a little bit past the half-way point. I didn't find anything troubling with the book and I have triggers that are
Jessica Zendejas
Aug 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I received this book from a giveaway done by goodreads.
Overall this book was average. When I read the description of the book it left me excited to start the book. I thought it was going to a great addition to my dystopian collection, but I was kinda disappointed. The whole book, for me, was confusing for me ( I am a little slow sometimes) this lead me to not fully enjoy the book. I just couldn't help feeling that I was missing something. I don't dislike the book, its just probably not my style
Alison Butler
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was AWFUL. I should've listened to the reviewer who criticized an early scene in which the main character gets inappropriately mind-touched. I can't even describe it but it was gross and disturbing but I kept reading anyway. And the non-romance was absolutely ridiculous. There was nothing realistic about it. The main character was absurdly one-dimensional. This felt like a first draft.

I give it 1.5 stars and am only rounding up because I've never read fantasy in the kind of environment
Kes
Jan 11, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-2020
This was not good. The main character was rather shallow.
A'Llyn
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
An engaging fantasy story with an interesting take on faith and magic.
LouLou
May 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Read review in its entirety at http://www.compassbookratings.com/rev...

Anne Boles Levy's debut novel The Temple of Doubt emerges with religious magicians, demonic possession, and primitive island lore, entreating readers with elements that are both familiar and unusual. Although the mythical world is somewhat hard to wrap one's head around, the amusing imaginary creatures that Levy creates and entertaining family dynamics are the high points of the novel.

Narrated by teen protagonist Hadara, read
Teresa

Nicole Frail
Jun 17, 2015
Saruuh Kelsey
DNF @ 42%

I was kinda intrigued in the beginning, but I never connected with the main character, and I just don't like the love interest one bit. The only reason I wanted to keep going was to find out if Love Interest was their God, because that's my theory. But otherwise? I just didn't get on with this book.
Gina D
Brittany
Mar 26, 2019
Hailey Few
Aug 22, 2015

• The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1)
  • The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2)
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • The Legendary Mechanic (The Legendary Mechanic, #6)
  • The Legendary Mechanic (The Legendary Mechanic, #8)
  • The Legendary Mechanic (The Legendary Mechanic, #4)
  • The Legendary Mechanic (The Legendary Mechanic, #3)
  • The Legendary Mechanic (The Legendary Mechanic, #1)
  • The Legendary Mechanic (The Legendary Mechanic, #9)
  • The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce, #2)
  • The Legendary Mechanic (The Legendary Mechanic, #7)
  • The Legendary Mechanic (The Legendary Mechanic, #2)
  • The Legendary Mechanic (The Legendary Mechanic, #5)
  • A March of Kings (The Sorcerer's Ring, #2)
  • A Fate of Dragons (The Sorcerer's Ring, #3)
  • A Cry of Honor (The Sorcerer's Ring, #4)
  • Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy, #3)
  • Return of the Guardian-King (Legends of the Guardian-King, #4)

The Temple of Doubt (2 books)
  • The Well of Prayers (The Temple of Doubt, #2)