Start by marking “The Dangerous Type (In the Wake of the Templars, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dangerous Type (In the Wake of the Templars, #1)

The Dangerous Type

(In the Wake of the Templars #1)

Set in the wake of a galaxy-wide war and the destruction of a human empire, The Dangerous Type follows the awakening of one of the galaxy's most dangerous assassins and her quest for vengeance. Entombed for twenty years, Raena has been found and released.

Thallian has been on the lam for the last fifteen years; a wanted war criminal whose entire family has been hunted down
Paperback, first, 296 pages
Published July 7th 2015 by Night Shade

To ask other readers questions about The Dangerous Type, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dangerous Type

Bob Milne
Mar 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this title from the publisher in exchange for review consideration. While I make every attempt to avoid spoilers, please be aware that an ARC synopsis, press release, or review request may disclose details that are not revealed in the published cover blurb.

The cover blurb will tell you that The Dangerous Type is "a mix of military science fiction and an adventurous space opera" but it's probably more accurate to call it "a mix of adventurous space opera and dange
Vivian
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fr, erotic, sci-fi
Everyone's getting played, and not in a good way.

So this is a odd genre amalgamation that reads more like a video game than a book. A galactic Lara Croft assassin. The scene progression and MC challenges have that format. Additionally, the hyper-sexualized presentation of Raena and her sexual exploits are detached and unerotic. Too much to be science fiction and too unengaged to be erotica.

Science fiction has ways of either breaking down contemporary social constructs or reinforcing them. The e
Nathan
Fantasy Review Barn

This is serious business. Sex and violence and rock and roll – John Cougar Mellencamp

Can I state something here? The Dangerous Type is pure pulp. Yes it is, but why say that like it is a bad thing? Can’t a book be pulp and still be good? And let me further break down just how pulp this book is before we come to conclusions. It is a revenge tale where a small beautiful woman, who by the way hasn’t aged at all in twenty years, goes against a villain who is galaxy destroying bad.
David
Raena is a classic Mary Sue - she scores a 61 on the Universal Mary Sue Litmus test. There is one memorable scene where she performs cartwheels while wearing high heels.

(I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Do not use near open flame. Contents may have shifted during flight. Void where prohibited. Do not fold, spindle, or mutilate. Legal tender for all debts public and private.)
Brannigan
previously published at TheQwillery.com

The Dangerous Type is the first book in a new sexy science fiction trilogy by Loren Rhoads. We meet shady heroes attempting to find and save Reana from a long forgotten tomb in the hopes of rekindling long lost memories of the past. Somehow, after being entombed for twenty years, Reana looks as if she hasn't aged but quickly begins to fade and wither away only to find a reason to live, revenge. If it sounds a bit corny, it's because it is. From the start, t
Michael
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'll try to write a spoiler-free review with just my impressions.

Fans of a character-driven, action-oriented sci-fi story will really like this book.

It took a while for the story to build - fully the first third of the novel is table-setting for the conflict that opens in the middle third, and turns into rapid-fire action at the end.

The book's central character, Raena, serves as the pivot point for all the action, character relationships and backstory. Sometimes I felt the development of some ch
AudioBookReviewer
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
My original The Dangerous Type audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

The Dangerous Type by Loren Rhoads is the first in a series called In the Wake of the Templars. This novel is set 20 years after a war that wiped out most of humanity. Raena is a wanted criminal and has been kept captive in the magical tomb world of now extinct beings called Templars. She is finally found by Gaven, a man who has been searching for Raena from the time she was imprisoned. Now she is
Steven
Jul 23, 2015 rated it liked it
I was a bit wary, since it sounded like the generic 'strong female character' (who happens to look awesome in a skintight catsuit). But I enjoyed the Morbid Curiosity reading I went to one World Horror Con and the Paramental Appreciation Society chapbook I got, and a post by Loren Rhoads on character had me curious.

So many things to like: non-white lead character, who's more than the sum of her relationships; women who are mothers and *gasp* older; traumatic events are referred to but not in a l
Lydia
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
~~~Spoilers(ish)

This was actually pretty awful. One of the most obnoxious things to me was the imagery. We hear all about these aliens, but we RARELY hear a single description of them. We got a brief description of the blue-haired alien towards the end, but really not much else. And the sex scenes aren't sexy...none of them. They all turned my stomach in a way I can't describe. Even the ones that were supposed to be of a romantic and intimate nature were awful. The threesomes felt more like rape
Enzo
This is a good story too bad it didn't really cover what was promised in the premise of the story. I read Templars I wanted some Space Templars. I guess I got some but not exactly what I expected. Some stories seem to leave or jump over what would really make them good meat to chew on. This is the case here. So much left behind. I am not sure it happened because its planned as a series.
I enjoyed parts but not enough to be on the recommended list.
Christopher Gerrib
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rip-roaring from the get-go, this was a trill-a-minute book. I liked it a lot.
Jamie
Oct 28, 2015 added it
Shelves: scifi, first-reads
What an interesting story. Different than I expected but good. Now I need to read book 2.

I received this book as part of a Goodreads Giveaway.
Bernie
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Great space opera. Also a great universe filled with lots or rogues to make things interesting.
Joe AuBuchon
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
An enjoyable read, entertaining. Not quite what I expected from the blurb on the book. Space Opera, but on a small scale of individuals, not large ships, fleets and empires.
Krista
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I listened to this one on Audible and really enjoyed the listening experience.

I thought Raena's story was interesting. I was intrigued by the idea of her surviving twenty years inside a locked tomb due to some alien technology that kept her inhumanely preserved. Of course, this premise required a great deal of suspension of belief in basic biology. For example, she didn't starve to death and apparently she suffered no atrophy inside the cavernous space as she was able to single-handedly take ou
Matty
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fav-bad-wemon
Gearing up for book 2

I love a good space opera with a strong female lead and i admit i love it more when they kick tail like a professional. It helps to have alittle romance some heartbreak a really nasty villian with his own nasty team and lots of action to focus our girl on. This is not a book about space ship drives and all the technical stuff that explains the space time continuim but about a girl with a horrible upbringing allot of training and a serious need for revenge. Loved the story ge
Terry Marine
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Gets three stars for the final fight. So, it says book #1, but there seems to be lots and lots of convoluted back-story. And exactly WHY is Rena so damn strong? Is she cyborg? Genetically enhanced? Why is this petite blonde in impractical high heels so invincible? I guess we need to guess. And all of a sudden, it's over and she's won. I think the author liked detective-pulp-noir and fellas saying sweetheart.
pie
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a bit like a way more gritty and fucked up version of Revenger by Alastair Reynolds, with sex scenes. i had a bit of a hard time connecting with any of the characters, but i kind of liked the organic way in which their various backstories were revealed.
Ondrej Urban
Apr 16, 2016 rated it liked it
...and almost a week after I was supposed to finish this for my book club, I'm done! :) once again missing the half stars here cuz 3.5 is what I would give this one.

The blurb on the back cover of this book sounds, frankly, much better than what you end up reading. Yes, there will be action, but starting slowly, building up and peaking just before the book wraps up. The action itself is crafty and the best scenes from the story are action - so there should have been more of them. There is a lot
Isaac
May 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Errr, I'm sure there are plenty of other reviews that will justify why this book only scores 2-3 stars for them.

I mostly agree with them. And I'll simply say that it scored a whooping 1 star for me due to the fact that there's rape. I don't like rape, so I think it's good to warn people of it.

Along with rape, there's also a very strong sense of "prostitution" but in a different way. Instead of gaining money with sex, it's "paying debts" with sex.

It also totally warps and twists the meaning of l
Phillip
May 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I got this book as an ARC from a giveaway here on goodreads. On to the review:

This book was alright. Not all that interesting and I felt that I had to continually force myself to go back to it. Most books can hook you in and keep you wanting more. This one just didn't do that for me. The biggest problem for me is that there really wasn't a flow to the words. It felt like the author was using a thesaurus just to change words here and there, they didn't really seem to fit the situation. That reall
Curtis
[Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.]

The blurb had me expecting a fun and engaging science fiction action story, but I don't think that's what I got in reading this. Yes, there's a little action and the world is science fiction, but this came out as more of an oddly-formed romance novel with a fair amount of sex and some situations that were just plain awkward or uncomfortable to read. I definitely see how some people migh
Stephanie
Jan 21, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Good action when it happened, but most of this book dabbled in uncomfortable sex scenes that transitioned abruptly into flashbacks of abuse. After the book was finished I could see (a little) what the author was trying to do with that, but I felt it was badly done and the payoff was unnecessary. There was already plenty of evidence about how bad the bad guy is without having to dip into (and then dwell) on rape. I really only liked the last fifth.
Robin
Sep 29, 2016 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF. A hundred pages in I realized I just didn't care. Here we have a completely disgusting excuse for a romantic lead, a main character who people keep telling me is interesting all evidence to the contrary, and a legitimately interesting-sounding history that I would rather be reading. I thought to myself, "You know, I am one vaguely exploitative/sorta incestuous f-f-m threesome away from abandoning this book" and wouldn't you know it... the book obliged.
Gumity
Oct 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book was absolute hell to get through. I skipped entire sections because I didn't want to read all the sexual situations and I didn't care about reading about the main character's past. absolute worst book I've read in ages.
Kurt
Apr 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Audiobook - just couldn't finish it...not even as bad background noise...
Nikki Balzer
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it
good fun escapism read. would I read it again-no. has it made me search for other books by loren rhodes - no but I would pick it up if i came across it randomly like i did this one.
Uwe Windhoven
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
A bit too much S&M.
Dorian Katz
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is very engaging, suspenseful and fun. I recommend it to anyone who likes sci fi and strong, tough women with brains.
Jason
Jun 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Not bad sci-fi, middle of the road with some nice action.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Valiant Dust (Breaker of Empires #1)
  • If Then
  • Oathkeeper (The Grudgebearer Trilogy, #2)
  • Half Life (Russell's Attic #2)
  • Dragon Tears
  • The Secret Book of Sacred Things
  • The Mythic Dimension: Selected Essays 1959-87 (Collected Works)
  • Fires of Aggar
  • Warlords and Wastrels (The Duellists Trilogy #3)
  • Majesty's Offspring
  • Trinket (Feyland, #3.5)
  • The Girl on the Liar's Throne (Erebus Sequence, #3)
  • Released (The Eternal Balance, #3)
  • The Dying Light (Evergence, #2)
  • Catacombs (The Immortal Archives, #3)
  • The Warrior Who Carried Life
  • Fearsome Magics
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2014
Loren is the author of 199 Cemeteries to See Before You Die and Wish You Were Here: Adventures in Cemetery Travel.

She's co-author of Lost Angels and its sequel Angelus Rose, coming in 2019.

She is also the author of the space opera In the Wake of the Templars trilogy. All three books -- The Dangerous Type, Kill By Numbers, and No More Heroes -- came out in 2015.

In the Wake of the Templars (3 books)
  • Kill by Numbers (In the Wake of the Templars, #2)
  • No More Heroes (In the Wake of the Templars, #3)