Start by marking “Love, Lucas (Love, Lucas, #1)” as Want to Read:
Love, Lucas (Love, Lucas, #1)

Love, Lucas

(Love, Lucas #1)

When Oakley Nelson loses her older brother, Lucas, to cancer, she thinks she’ll never recover. Between her parents’ arguing and the battle she’s fighting with depression, she feels nothing inside but a hollow emptiness. When Mom suggests they spend a few months in California with Aunt Jo, Oakley isn’t sure a change of scenery will alter anything, but she’s willing to give ...more
Published May 5th 2015 by Sky Pony

Lola

Love, Lucas is a wonderful moving story. It deals with death, grief, first love and family issues. Set in California, Oakley now staying near the beach with her mom and aunt, you will almost feel as if you’re there all along with the main character and seeing the waves and surfers and the beach altogether, whenever it’s mentioned.

Early in Spring, Oakley and her mom take a flight to California for a reason: to get away. From life. From their inner gloomy thoughts. Oakley’s mom needs time to proce
Sana
a slow book with a heavy emphasis on character development and I was going to two start it but guys, the ending was so realistic and beautiful I had to raise a star.

also,,,, get yourself a girl who punches a shark to save you from it 👏👏👏
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
Chantele Sedgwick weaves a beautiful and heartfelt story that is perfect for every YA reader out there. A book that deals with loss and moving on.. and finding out that there are a lot of reasons for you to move forward. A truly heartbreaking but touching read.

Just like what I said from my intro, Oakley is a wonderful main character. She's real in every way possible. For a girl her age, her reactions toward his brother's death is truly understandable. Her feelings was thoroughly described by he
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Skyhorse Publishing and Edelweiss.)

“Is it possible to find happiness when it feels like you’ve lost not only yourself, but everyone you love?”

This was an okay story, but it just didn’t hold my attention.

I felt sorry for Oakley, and she was obviously going through a difficult time after her brother’s death. I thought her mother was being a bit harsh on her at times, and it did seem like everyone was ex
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

I received an ecopy of this book via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

MY THOUGHTS
This was such a beautiful book and it brought tears in my eyes, but it wasn't just sad tears, there were tears of happiness in there as well.

Oakley's brother, Lucas, just passed away from cancer. Lucas wasn't just Oakley's brother, but her best friend as well, so the loss of him is hurting her and she doesn't know how she will ever get over it or i
Milka
Love, Lucas by Chantele Sedgwick is not the first, and probably won’t be the last, time I come across a book about a young character going through the emotions caused by the death of a sibling. What made me intrigued was the idea of the letters left by the sibling to be used as a sort of guidepost to life after the enormous loss. Unfortunately very quickly I realized that Love, Lucas did not include the emotional punch I was expecting but rather left me feeling quite disappointed and somewhat an ...more
Rhea Dsouza
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss

“Ever since we lost Lucas, you’ve built a wall around yourself. Maybe if you make some friends, you could be yourself again.”

A unique story, Love, Lucas begins with Oakley Nelson, snapping under the pressure of having to deal with her older brother—Lucas’s death. She tries her best to forget and move on but it seems like everything reminds her of Lucas, and when she gets a journal full of letters addressed to her, written by Lucas himself, she decides to try harder.

And there begins her jo
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
This book has been nominated for a 2015 Swoony Award, to vote click here.

I started following Chantele’s reading blog a long time ago, it was actually one of the first ones I found and always loved her reviews. We have very similar taste in books. So, I was excited when her books started being published. I enjoyed her first series and was looking forward to this one. I’ve actually been stalking her Pinterest board for Love, Lucas for awhile now, it’s full of great pictures (in fact, the one belo
Abbie
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Edelweiss, In exchange for an honest review.)

Oakley was an okay character, and I felt sorry for her, as losing someone close to you is awful. Her romance with Carson was quite sweet, and I was hoping things would work out between them.

This wasn't a bad read, but I'm glad it was short, as I felt quite bored at parts. Lucas's letters were nice to read to start with, but they did end up getting a bit repetitive, so they started to bore me too.

Overall, Alright read, but glad
Peach
DNF @ 10%

I hate to do this, really. But, really. The writing was simple and everything seemed was so predictable. Oakley's brother tragically dies. Obviously, the family is devastated. Her mother and father start arguing instantly after the funeral ends. Instant cliché, but I guess this does happen in real-time, so. Parents are on-road to divorce and Oakley and her mother head to her aunt's home. A beach town.

Oakley and her mother's reactions are perfectly on-point, but please. I would've p
Gabrielle
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
oh man this book made me cry a little it had so many wonderful messages it had a huge twist at the end i did not see coming AT ALL!! I was a little frustrated with Oakley at times but this was a nice summer read with a lot of substance i thoroughly enjoyed this and would recommend it:)
Tati
First things first: whenever I read the name Carson, instead of picturing a young surfer, I kept picturing this guy (I can't be the only one, come on):

description

This was a pretty predictable book, and I couldn't help but roll my eyes when the letters from Lucas matched what was going on in Oakley's life. The ending, though, that was nerve-wracking. (view spoiler)
Suze Lavender
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After the death of her brother, Lucas, Oakley is heartbroken. He lost his battle against cancer. Lucas was Oakley's best friend and she misses him very much. To make moving on easier for his sister Lucas has left Oakley a notebook filled with letters. Oakley needs something to help her get through the days. She hasn't only lost the person she loved the most in the whole world, she's also moved in with her aunt Jo until the summer. Her mother wanted a change of scenery and they left Oakley's fath ...more
Anastasia Antonova
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Средняя книга, на троечку по пятибалльной шкале. В ней нет пошлятины, в ней нет никаких неимоверных интриг, заговоров и прочей дребедени которой в последнее время пестрят все остальные романы. Она милая, спокойная, ее легко читать, и иногда пробивает на слезы.
Персонажи мне как-то не очень запомнились, но больше всех выделился Лукас, хотя он там только в письмах и фигурирует. Ради этих писем и стоит читать эту книгу. Они того стоят. А история Окли и ее семьи, это пример того, как нужно искать сил
Tracey Walsh
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and know it will be very popular with my middle school girls. It's about the real life issues that come with the death of a close family member, and sadly many of us can relate to these feelings. The love story is exciting and awesome because the characters in this book are so likable.
Kaitlyn
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This novel is one of the best I have ever read. Chantele Sedgwick does a marvelous job making it lifelike, making you feel and react to situations as if you were there. It is a very emotional book, but has humorous sections to balance it out. Many valuable life lessons are provided through letters written by the protagonist's deceased brother. I have a new favorite book!
Jess (the cozy reader)
Big thanks to Sky Pony Press and Edelweiss for an ARC copy for review.

This was a very genuine and touching novel. A story about young girl named Oakley, who is grieving from the recent loss of her older brother, Lucas from cancer. There is the devastation, heartbreak, and loneliness when losing a loved one, but this also shows the hope and healing that comes from the most unlikely of places. I thought Chantele did a wonderful job handling such a sensitive topic.

I adored Oakley's character. Sh
Rachel Harris
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A deeply moving tale of unimaginable loss and the redemptive power of love. Sedgwick masterfully delves into the painful details of losing a loved one, breaking your heart even as her beautiful words stitch you back together. Romance and friendship, true growth and authentic healing, this story blew me away. It takes a special book to bring tears to my eyes and make me swoon...LOVE, LUCAS? Yeah, this book is special.
Erin Lynn
DNF - I quietly read one chapter, but it just didn't appeal to me. I'm over cancer YA books.
julia ✨
Jun 12, 2015 rated it liked it
3,5 stars
Kate Ormand
Surfing, sun and romance makes this a perfect summer read. But the story is also one of loss and hope and definitely pulls on the heartstrings. Oakley and Lucas's bond was touching and it was clear how close they were. The letters were inspiring and a great addition to the book. I enjoyed reading them and seeing how they'd impact Oakley's choices. Really enjoyable story with a romance to root for and a twist I didn't see coming.
Cathy
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Parts of this book were pretty cheesy in my opinion, but it also was maybe a bit therapeutic -- or it could be for young people who have suffered loss and are trying to get through it. The book still made me cry, but the story was a little too far beyond believable. It was an ok book, and one I'd recommend to my middle school students.
Ilia-Renee
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my favorite books of all time. It was so beautifully written and I cried many times. Like, I literally wanted to sob each time I read one of Lucas's letters. The brother and sister relationship is such a beautiful thing. You can feel Oakley's pain and as a reader you sympathize with her. The story shows that you can find hope and love within grief and loss. I believe it's one of those stories that stays with you even after you've finished the last page. It's truly an emotiona ...more
Nevaeh S
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very great page turner I loved it so much i wish it wouldn't have ended!
rachel
Review copy provided by Sky Pony Press for an honest review.

• Oakley was a fantastic protagonist. I loved that she was gutsy but shy, withdrawn and a little awkward. She was unsure about a lot of things and when she got nervous she babbled. A very relatable and loveable character.

• The romance actually played an important part in the plot and wasn't just there to attract more readers. Carson was an huge part of Oakley's recovery process and their relationship developed both consistently and real
Katie W
The story starts out with a funeral and I could feel the pain and emotion right from the first chapter. I was immediately drawn in and emotionally invested. Oakley's brother (and best friend), Lucas, passes away from cancer and it's hard for her to deal with life--her parent's arguing, her grief, and her will to go on. She and her mom go to California to live with her aunt for a little while, to have a change of pace and try to heal.

I love that Oakley's mom gives her a journal when they get to C
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I'm so happy to be a part of this tour for Love, Lucas. When I signed on for this tour I was really hoping to love this book. It sounded like it had emotional potential and one thing I love when I read books is to be sucked in emotionally.

Oakley's brother has just passed away from cancer. She is devastated, hurting and feeling so alone. Her parents are struggling separately and together and Oakley is basically left to work through all these feelings on her own. It's just heart wrenching.

I did lo
Mia Giarritano
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lizzy Charles
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come.
G.R. Mannering
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful, moving novel of loss and love. Sedgewick’s elegant prose weave a heart-breaking tale that stays with you long after you have finished the last page.
My Review 1 6 Sep 07, 2015 08:59PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Love, Lucas By Chantele Sedgwick - Restarting April 18th 2015 40 38 Apr 17, 2015 12:00PM
Love, Lucas 1 10 Jan 19, 2014 08:14PM

• Relativity (Sage Hannigan Time Warper, #2)
  • Holocaust Scream
  • Moments of Reckoning
  • Through Glass: The Dark (Through Glass, #1)
  • Paper Dolls (Dark Carousel, #2)
  • The Camp
  • Dark Wine at Midnight (A Hill Vampire Novel Book 1)
  • Interim
  • Better
  • You'll Like It Here (Everybody Does)
  • Lies We Tell Ourselves
  • Running Barefoot
  • The Night Before Summer Vacation
  • Lexi's Pathetic Fictional Love Life
  • Never Trust a Rebel
  • All I Need (Stay, #2)
  • Say Something: A Hate List Novella
Chantele Sedgwick is a YA author, harpist, wife to one and stay-at-home mom to four. She loves happy endings, Kit Kats and judging by her book shelves, buys way too many books.

Love, Lucas (4 books)
  • Switching Gears (Love, Lucas, #2)
  • Interlude (Love, Lucas, #3)
  • The Summer of Lost Things (Love, Lucas, #4)