Start by marking “Beastly Verse” as Want to Read:
Beastly Verse

Beastly Verse

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  316 ratings  ·  97 reviews
Poetry and children belong together, and for a long time, the music and playfulness of verse wove itself through children's days and lives. Beastly Verse aims to help return the wonder of poetry to children's lives through sixteen exquisitely illustrated poems, four of which have the surprise and pleasure of being foldouts. Consisting of playful as well as powerfully memor ...more
Published April 7th 2015 by Enchanted Lion Books

To ask other readers questions about Beastly Verse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beastly Verse

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Beastly Verse
Betsy
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Poetry. What’s the point? I say this as a woman who simultaneously gets poetry and doesn’t get it. I get that it’s important, of course. I only need to watch my three-year-old daughter come up with an ever increasing and creative series of bouncy rhymes to understand their use. But what I don’t get is Poetry with a capital “P”. I have come to accept this as a failing on my own part. And to be fair, there are works of poetry that I like. They just all seem to be for the milk teeth set. With that ...more
Mathew
As an illustrator and printmaker, Yoon work is always a delight. This time, she has painstakingly chosen a small range of poems on the theme of animals to illustrate. From owls to yaks and from de la Mare to Rossetti, Yoon reimagines moments from each poem, her print humorously glows with her bright and engaging illustrations and some sections invite the reader to pull open pages in order to reveal the animal in all its majesty.
Nathalie
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is a book of children's poetry by various authors such as Christina Rossetti and Ogden Nash. It is a new book but illustrated to appear old style. I didn't like it as much as I thought I did. Here is my favorite:

THE EEL

I don't mind eels
Except as meals.
And the way they feels.

by Ogden Nash

I happen to have eaten eels as a child and never wanted to repeat the experience as an adult. Tastes very fishy with flesh more like a chicken and it does look like a snake...

My husband liked the following:

E
Natalie
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Compilation of famous animal poems written by many different authors. I was pleased to find two of my all time fave poems included, Eletelephony and The Spangled Pandemonium

(not a page from the book)

I liked how there was only one poem on each page. Poetry is always more enjoyable to read when it's not squished onto pages. The poems chosen were delightful but I wasn't a huge fan of the artwork.
Barbara
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sixteen previously published poems about animals, including "The Crocodile" by Lewis Carroll, "The Tiger" by William Blake, and my personal favorite for sharing--the hilarious and fun to read--"Eletelephony" by Laura Richards make this book delightful. Not only are the verses fun to revisit or visit for the first time, but the illustrations are literally drenched with color. Young readers and their parents will also enjoy the four gatefolds that expand the book's images.
Skip
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Colorfully illustrated poems about beasts and animals. The best two are Eletelephony and The Snail.
Dolly
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book presents sixteen poems by different authors about various animals, featured along with artwork "created by hand drawing and computer techniques. Three Pantone colors were used in the printing of this book," creating a woodblock print style of illustrations that have unique layers of colors and often silly designs.

Many of the poems were familiar to me, written by authors such as Lewis Carroll, Ogden Nash, William Blake, and D.H. Lawrence. Others were less so, but still entertaining.

Ove
Alisha
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great collection of children's poetry and rhymes about animals. The illustrations are vibrant and colorful...actually maybe a little bit too colorful. Like maybe your eyes will bleed if you look at it for too long.

thor

But otherwise I think it would make for a fun read aloud to kids and an excellent introduction to poetry.

Ann
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bright, primitive-style illustrations perfectly complement short animal poems by the likes of Lewis Carroll and Walter de la Mare. An intriguing collection that may serve to spark an interest in poetry in young people and their grown ups.
Becky
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth, poetry, 2015
Loved the bright, distinctive, fanciful graphic illustrations that accompany these animal poems by a variety of writers. My favorite poem might be "The Pelican" by Robert Desnos--new to me. Impressed with every single page of graphics.

Would kids like it?

Edward Sullivan
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, anthologies
A rich, gleefully illustrated and beautifully designed collection (including some great gatefolds) of playful verse about critters by such poets as William Blake, Lewis Carroll, D.H. Lawrence, and Christina Rossetti.
Emily Scheinman
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! A collection of fanciful poems matched with bold color art work. Releasing in April; perfect for poetry celebrations and a must have for your home library
Mary Lee
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun gatefolds!
YingYu  Chen
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
For winter and spring, my kids and I try to approach different poetry books. This pictured verse collection compiles almost poems that illustrate different kinds of animals. Not sure how the artist made the compilation, but the overall quality, along with the quality and texture of the book, made an astounding piece for family reading or individual collection.

As an always admirer of William Blake, "The Tygre" is the most known. I am happily introducing William Blake and the imagery of his poem w
Bruce
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sixteen poems by fourteen notable authors and two anonymous ones have been complied and illustrated by printmaker and graphic designer Yoon. It’s a feast for the eyes. On the copyright page it reads, “The artwork in this book was created by hand drawing and computer techniques. Three Pantone colors were used in the printing of this book.” The visual effect is an overlay of vivid block prints. Yoon, who designed the volume, in addition to illustrating it, provides a continuing visual narrative fo ...more
Delaney Andrews
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Genre: poetry
Grade range: K-5
I think that the poems in this book could be read and used at any level of elementary school. Although some of the poems were a little more difficult, there were some that were more simple. Therefore, this could be used at many different grade levels. It is not a book that you would necessarily sit down and read through the whole thing with your class. It would be good book to pick through and find different poems that are applicable to your grade level, or maybe one
Megan Hosinski
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Ruvalcaba
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Genre: Poetry
Grade Level: Preschool-3
What I love about this book were the illustrations and how some poem created the animal they were describing. This book is more of choosing a poem from the book not reading it all in one sitting for younger readers. It can be use to open or close the classroom. As you are reading the poem, children can draw on how they think the animal looks through their ears.
Rebekah Waggoner
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
2nd-3rd grade reading level
I thought that this book of poems about animals was cut and fun. I think it will help students find an interest in poetry and want to read more and learn more about it. I think that the way that the Author had made the animals come to life and doing things that a person could do was a fun touch that could make the kids laugh when reading it. I liked how the author used description in the poems and brought the story to life.
Brittany
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of various authors about many different animals. The poems are mostly good although the writing in a couple is very stilted and certainly difficult to read aloud. We did enjoy the majority. The illustrations are very vibrant, the internal photos match the cover pretty well.
Molly
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I mostly liked the illustrations- vibrant, psychedelic-colored prints of animals. But I didn't realize the poems were a collection of what I would largely call "oldies." Nothing wrong with a little 'Tiger tiger burning bright' but I was hoping for something fun and modern to accompany the illustrations. Just not for me.
Emili
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it

1-3rd grade reading levels

The poets in this book have a way with words! The poetry is so endearing and inviting. This book makes me want to grab a cup of coffee and sit and listen to these poems. As much as I liked the poetry, I thought the illustrations were even better. They are so visually appealing. Joohee Yoon is an extremely talented artist.
Allison Nicholas
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Primary

Poetry

I love that this story was more of a collection. Different poems about animals, each one drawing you in. The illustrations also added so much to the overall book. I'm only giving it a 3/5 because it hasn't been my favorite, but it was still very unique and interestingly written for children.
Taylor Relacion
Apr 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Beastly Verse is a book that is composed of a compilation of famous animal poems written by various authors. There are sixteen poems with colorfully illustrated pictures. My favorite poem from the book had to be Eletelephony by Laura Richards. I would recommend this book for younger elementary grade levels because the content isn't heavy at all and would be very easy for younger children to follow.
I would use this in my classroom as a read aloud or if I were introducing the topic of poetry to y
Jordyn
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Genre: poetry grade: 1-4
This has a cute book full of poetry about animals. The poems are cute and interesting, but the real treasure of this book is the illustrations. I loved seeing the art throughout the book and the wonderful fun ways they’re portrayed. I love this story and would definitely recommend it!
Gloria Linkiewicz
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
2nd- 3rd grade reading level
This book is amazing because it has multiple poems in one book. I love how fun the poems are and the fun illustrations. An activity with this book you can use is read a poem a day. This can get students involve in the activity and explain what poetry is.
Susan
Apr 07, 2020 added it
Shelves: for-the-kiddos
Great book combining classic poems with fun abstract drawings (paintings?) that really help kids picture and enjoy the imagery.

My son and I both agreed that the Spangled Pandemonium is our favorite!
Mady Beaver
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
K-3
This book is full of fun and vibrant poems with some extraordinary illustrations that just pop off the page. This is a great book to teach kids about poetry and how creative it can be and it causes the kids to use their creative minds as well!
Miss Sarah
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Different animals of all kinds are spotlighted in poetry. Fold out pages and brightly colored layered pictures are featured. preschool and up
The Sleepy Creator
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations for odd verses to be devoured on a lazy sunday.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Firefly July: A Year of Very Short Poems
  • The Berenstains' B Book (Bright & Early Books)
  • Harlem