Start by marking “Rad American Women A-Z: Rebels, Trailblazers, and Visionaries who Shaped Our History . . . and Our Future!” as Want to Read:

The New York Times Bestseller!

"This is The Most Inspiring Children’s Book We've Ever Seen."--Refinery29.com

"The very first kids' book released by the iconic publishing house City Lights, Rad American Women A-Z navigates the alphabet from Angela Davis to Zora Neale Hurston with colorful illustrations and short, powerful narratives. The perfect gift for the junior riot grrl
Published April 7th 2015 by City Lights Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Rad American Women A-Z, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rad American Women A-Z

Katie
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
this is lovely, unique, so wonderful, and very much needed.

The "X is for the women whose names we don't know" page brought tears to my eyes and gave me goosebumps.

I want to give this to every young girl that I know.
Elizabeth
an alphabet that spans from Angela Davis to Zora Neale Hurston?

um, yeah.
this is rad.
RAD.

#weneeddiversebooks
Vicki
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was well-written and hit all the right notes. If I still taught middle school, I would read aloud a page from this every day during March for Women's History Month.
L.A.
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Attention subversive moms and dads: this is the children's book you give to your kids if you want them to start off on the socially conscious left foot, as it were. Each letter of the alphabet is attached to a woman who helped change the world. A one-page short essay, faced by a gorgeous illustration of the woman in question, explains who she is and why she's awesome. The letter X, which stands for all the unknown women who did great things, moved me to tears - I'm photocopying that two-page spr ...more
Ian
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quite an interesting book about some great American women who have lived courageous and influential lives. I'd heard of some but most were new to me. It's the sort of book that every young boy and girl should be given.

It's written for young readers who are just moving from picture books to chapter books.
Ms. Yingling
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Covering 25+ American women who influenced a wide variety of public arenas, this book is a great choice for middle grade readers to introduce them to a diverse group of women they may not have heard of! From the somewhat well known (Billie Jean King, Bessie Coleman, Nellie Bly) to women of whom I had never heard, each entry gives a brief overview of the woman's life and how she influenced the world. Accompanied by brightly colored illustrations, this would
Edward Sullivan
An excellent collection of brief profiles of great women, some well-known and some not. There were a few, like Jovita Idar, Lucy Parsons, and Virginia Apgar, that I'd never heard of, and most of the others have not been widely covered for children in singular biographies or other anthologies. The author also does an excellent job with the dreaded X.
Courtney Hatch
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
3.5 stars. There were some really great things about this book, and then there were some poorly-executed things. I think the thing that confused me the most was it's intended audience. It uses an ABC format and bright colors, so it feels like it's intended for children, but some of the vocabulary and inferred background knowledge seemed way too advanced for a child. It was weird to have some words explained in really simple terms stand in sentences next to other words or references that were jus ...more
Joshua
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A really fantastic book, written for I'd say 4-6th graders, this book looks at 25 amazing American women (both cis and trans). I have to admit I hadn't heard of a lot of them, which I guess is the point, so I definitely learned a lot from reading. Of particular importance was X which stands for "For the women who aren't in the history books or the Hall of Fame, or on posting stamps and coins. for the women who didn't get credit for their ideas and inventions, who couldn't own property or sign th ...more
Jazmyne
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great book!! I'm very glad my bf gave it to me for our anniversary :) I wish it weren't limited to 26 women, but the list of 26 they wrote about is so inclusive and amazing. There were diverse races, cultures, sexualities, and more on every page. Plus, the language of this book makes it super accessible to readers from ages 10-100, and the content is still thought provoking. Additionally, the resources at the back of this book make it easy to find more materials about rad women in and out ...more
Darcy
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-h-books
Yesssssss this book was so rad, you guys! I learned so many things and the simple, bold illustrations were perfect for my infant eyesight. Only complaint: I have lots of questions after hearing about all of these women and I can't talk yet. Will have to reread again and again!
Dov Zeller
What is black and white and blue and red and yellow and green and fuschia and orange and starts with Angela Davis and ends with Zora Neale Hurston? This wonderful little book of mini-biographies. Wow. The writer speaks eloquently and intelligently about many revolutionary women and the contexts in which they lived and loved and fought and did a lot of great things. Queerness and transness are addressed in ways that are perhaps not perfect, but certainly thoughtful and it's wonderful that Kate Bo ...more
Kerfe
Of course you could argue about the women who are included/not included in this alphabetical survey. But that's a good thing--we now know more about and recognize the contributions women have made to the world.

The text for each woman is brief, but full of information, asking the readers to explore more deeply themselves the individuals that resonate with them. A short list of resources in the back of the book will help them get started in their searches.

The illustrations appear to be linocuts, a
Mateen Mahboubi
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book providing brief bios of various women who left their mark on the US. Was appreciative of the diversity represented but felt like it would have benefited from more Native american representation. I am greatly looking forward to reading Rad Women Worldwide.

Initially we got this to read with my eldest but it didn't really work out. At three and a half, there was just so much about the world that he didn't understand to make it a worthwhile read. While we had no issue answering
Nancy Kotkin
Children's nonfiction book featuring female firsts, activists, and role models. Using the A to Z format, this book presents one-page bios of a wide diversity of women who have all left an important mark. A variety of fields are represented, and this book reaches beyond the usual names found in children's biographies. Text is clear and inspiring. I like the modern-looking illustrations, but I do wish that photographs of each woman had also been included.
Karen
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
A great introductory book for young girls. The author created an alphabet book providing a one-page overview of each RAD woman. Hopefully this will entice the reader to learn more about the women highlighted. I particularly like the author's list of 26 Things That You Can Do to Be Rad and her challenge to the young reader to think about what she or he may do to make a difference in the community or in the world.
Ali
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Super short bios on rad women! Great for 3rd-6th graders but probably would work for even younger if they've got their grown up to help read aloud. Fell in love with the '26 things you can do to be rad' part at the end. Want to steal and hang in the library. Bold colors and easy to understand text. Just a great little book.
Amy!
This was a great introduction to a lot of ladies with whom I wasn't familiar. I loved the really graphic illustrations that accompanied each one page bio, and my only real complaint is that I would have liked to read MORE about all the women featured.
Shelly
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I previously read Rad Women Worldwide and liked it a lot. This one isn't written quite as well but it's still good and I would recommend it to middle grade kids. The variety of people chosen is excellent and I was especially happy to see Temple Grandin for the letter T.
Aubrey Lua
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good book, loved learning about Carol Burnett, Hazel Scott and the Grimke sisters.
Lilla
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to have in the classroom. Can't wait to receive Rad Women Worldwide later this week!
Rachel Holtzclaw
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
will definitely be reading to my children someday
Sanja_Sanjalica
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just great, learned a lot.
Stephanie Jones
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me chills, I felt a lump in my throat more than once reading this. I hope there is a sequel of more rad women! I can't wait to share this with my little girl.
Anthony Moll
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the sort of children's book that I would be proud to share with the little ones in my family. Catch my review in the March issue of Baltimore Gay Life.
Colleen              Chi-Girl
I bought this for my school to empower and educate young girls and boys. Great for all elementary libraries and it can be used as a read aloud as well.
Rhea
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An incredible book that is so essential. My review and interview with the author will be forthcoming in Hip Mama! Just pre-order your copy now.
Jenni V.
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this with my 10-year-old daughter Megan. Even though this was in the Adult Non-Fiction section of my library I had no hesitation reading this with her and would say it's very well suited to middle/upper elementary kids. Each person had a page of illustration and a page of text devoted to them and it was a great starting point for deeper conversations/research on the ones that interested her.

I didn't take notes on every letter/person but here are our thoughts...

I didn't know 10 out of the
Kelsey Breseman
In school, I used to get assignments to pick a "hero" and write about them. I wish, at that time, I'd had this book.

The obvious choices were George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, maybe Gandhi if you were excited about more recent history.

(Side rant, but what's up with the heavy focus on the American Revolution and Founding Fathers in our education system? I didn't get to learn about anything post-pioneer times until junior high. And what a weird slant, at that: I, a girl of native heritage, always
Around the Year i...: Rad American Women, by Kate Schatz 1 9 Jun 25, 2017 12:10PM

• I Dissent: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes Her Mark
  • Gordon Parks: How the Photographer Captured Black and White America
  • Amelia to Zora: Twenty-Six Women Who Changed the World
  • Before She Was Harriet
  • Ruth Bader Ginsburg: The Case of R.B.G. vs. Inequality
  • Around America to Win the Vote: Two Suffragists, a Kitten, and 10,000 Miles
  • What Do You Do with a Voice Like That?: The Story of Extraordinary Congresswoman Barbara Jordan
  • Wangari Maathai: The Woman Who Planted Millions of Trees
  • Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machine
  • Here Come the Girl Scouts!: The Amazing All-True Story of  Juliette 'Daisy' Gordon Low and Her Great Adventure
  • Tricky Vic: The Impossibly True Story of the Man Who Sold the Eiffel Tower
  • Frederick's Journey: The Life of Frederick Douglass (A Big Words Book)
  • When the Beat Was Born: DJ Kool Herc and the Creation of Hip Hop
  • Miss Mary Reporting: The True Story of Sportswriter Mary Garber
  • Seeds of Freedom: The Peaceful Integration of Huntsville, Alabama
  • Little Melba and Her Big Trombone
  • A is for Activist
  • Emmanuel's Dream: The True Story of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah
Kate Schatz (pronounced ‘Shots’) is a writer, editor, educator, and left-handed vegetarian Bay Area-born-and-bred feminist mama. She is the New York Times bestselling author of Rad American Women A-Z (City Lights, 2015) and Rad Women Worldwide (Ten Speed Press, 2016). Her book of fiction, Rid of Me: A Story, was published in 2006 as part of the acclaimed 33 1/3 series. Her writing has been publish ...more