Start by marking “The Red Notebook” as Want to Read:
The Red Notebook

The Red Notebook

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  11,103 ratings  ·  1,871 reviews
Heroic bookseller Laurent Letellier comes across an abandoned handbag on a Parisian street. There's nothing in the bag to indicate who it belongs to, although there's all sorts of other things in it. Laurent feels a strong impulse to find the owner and tries to puzzle together who she might be from the contents of the bag. Especially a red notebook with her jottings, which ...more
Published April 7th 2015 by Gallic Books (first published March 5th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Notebook, please sign up.

·  11,103 ratings  ·  1,871 reviews

Cathrine ☯️
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone needing refreshment
description

Jim Nelson at Food & Wine writes that "An apéritif is an alcoholic beverage served before a meal to stimulate the appetite without overwhelming the senses and distinct from anything you have been served back home. It is light and refraissant as the French would say."

How perfectly that describes this little gem. At just 159 generously spaced pages, you can read it in one sitting.
There is lovely Laure. She is an artist, a gilder. She has been mugged and her bag stolen. There are items insid
Raven
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Being some one with a rather cynical attitude to the whole idea of love and romance, I found my icy heart delightfully thawed by this book. It is poignant, touching, peppered with literary references, witty and quite simply perfect...A must read- even for old cynics like me!
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
What do you carry in your handbag? Are the items intriguing enough to make someone want to meet you, even if they only saw the contents of your bag and knew nothing else about you?

This charming, romantic, and oh, so French, book hit the right spot after a few enjoyable (but heavy) reads. In this tale, sophisticated Parisian Laure is mugged after a late night out. Her attacker runs off with her handbag. The next morning, book store owner Laurent finds Laure's bag (minus her wallet and any ID) on
Camie
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
To be filed under charming little books translated from French. When Laurent the owner of a bookstore in Paris finds a handbag abandoned in a trash bin his life changes forever. Certainly no woman ever abandons a lovely pocketbook. With only the clues given in the bag's contents which includes a small red notebook of random thoughts can he ever find it's owner ?
Short, sweet, and surely soon to be film material.
KUYH Club June - 4 stars
Bianca
I'm jumping with joy and exhilaration having just finished a charming and very delightful novel. Exactly what I was after! A perfect Sunday afternoon companion. Well, a perfect companion, regardless of the day of the week or season.

I loved everything about the Red Notebook. The writing is simple but has a beautiful flow. The main characters, Laurent and Laure, are well drawn and interesting. It was refreshing to read a romantic book with middle-aged protagonists. The plot was lovely and romanti
abby
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Whatever charm this book is supposed to possess escapes me. If it had been any longer, I wouldn't have bothered to finish it. I found it boring, and the romance is stalkerish instead of cute.

This book starts with a woman getting mugged for her handbag, and a bookseller finding the remnants of said bag the next day in a dumpster. Based on the contents of the bag, which includes a host of items no woman would logically carry around with her, like the only copies of photos of her deceased parents,
Myrna
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-ebook
A great story reminiscent of Sleepless in Seattle and Goodnight Tweetheart with a beautiful French setting. The main characters are well developed and intertwine through a stolen purse. The adolescent daughter, Chloé, is my favorite because she added humor and sensibility. One sees the conclusion but enjoys the ride, nonetheless. If you are looking for a short, sweet, unique story, read this one with possibly a café au lait and an èclair.
 photo th 1_zpsl1jtuadc.jpg
Jaya
A soujourn in Paris on an otherwise mundane Sunday. That was predictable but nevetheless, a whimsical palate cleanser.
kian
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
لحظه هاي خوبي با اين كتاب داشتم.. خوندنش آرامش و لذت خاصي داشت و شيرين بود برام.. اما توي داستانهاي فرانسوي هميشه يه چيزي هست كه من خيلي دركش نميكنم!
Arash
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
اگر نوجوانی فقط یک تعریف داشته باشد، همین خنده های هیستریک است! آدم دیگر هیچ وقت در زندگی این گونه نمی خندد. در نوجوانی، مواجهه ناگهانیِ با این حقیقت که دنیا و زندگی کاملا پوچ و بی معنی است باعث می شود بخندی؛آن قدر بخندی که نفست بالا نیاید. در حالی که در ادامه زندگی، همین موضوع باعث میشود آه بکشی، آهی ملالآور.

#دفترچه_یادداشت_قرمز درمورد #کتاب است، دفترچه ای گم می شود، کتاب فروشی آن را پیدا می کند، نویسنده هایی نظیر پاتریک مودیانو پا به داستان می گذارند، مرد در پی یافتن صاحب دفترچه، زن به کما می
Alejandra Restrepo B.
Que buena lectura he tenido!

El número de páginas adecuado y un estilo delicioso con la elegancia y los detalles sutiles que usan los franceses para enamorar al lector.
La historia es muy fluida y tiene unos giros inesperados que la hacen más emocionante aún, el hecho de que el protagonista sea un librero y haga alusión a otros libros y autores me encanta...me antoja.
La historia de Laure y Laurent me ha cautivado completamente, otro libro francés que me recuerda a Amélie...y esto para mi es positi
Jane
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
This is a lovely little book: a bittersweet romantic comedy that captivated me from the very first page.

A young woman, Laure, arrives home late at night, after dinner with friends. As she arrives at her apartment block somebody tries to snatch her handbag. She resists, but she is shoved against the door frame and her bag slips from her grasp.

She can’t get through the security door without her keys; she can’t call anyone because she relied on the mobile phone in her bag to remember their numbers;
Veronique
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, french, stars-4-0, 2019
Re-read

Is there anything better than to spend a whole Saturday morning reading a charming story? The premise is so simple and yet so engrossing. Laurent, a bookshop owner in his 40s, finds a ladies' handbag one morning and decides to find its rightful owner. Little by little, he becomes fascinated by the mysterious woman, imagining her from the eclectic mix of possessions found in the said bag, and the reader follows, willingly in my case. After the first few pages, I was sold. The book is pure
An Munoz
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5
Otro libro Francés que me conquista. Una historia corta pero encantadora, llena de pequeños detalles y sensaciones dignas de la literatura francesa. Me ha gustado muchísimo y aunque me hubiera gustado un poco más de historia, es una excelente lectura para pasar un buen rato y quedarte con las ganas de decir: oh la la, mon amour!
Claire McAlpine
Intrigued and incensed in equal measure, as a notebook toting woman myself, I wanted to know more of this story centred around a character whose red notebook, containing handwritten thoughts and random PRIVATE jottings, has fallen into the hands of the curious bookseller, Monsieur Laurent Letellier.

Recognising it as a handbag of quality and not something intended to be thrown out, when Monsieur Letellier comes across the abandoned handbag on a Parisian street early one morning, he picks it up in
Paria
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1396
کتابایی که شخصیت اصلیشون یه کتاب فروش یا آدم اهل کتاب هستن رو دوست دارم. حدودا یک سال پیش اسم این کتابو شنیدم و واقعا مشتاق بودم که بخونمش. کتابش رو پیدا نکردم ولی الان بعد از یک سال فایل انگلیسیش رو پیدا کردم و خوندم و چقدر خوشحالم که اولین کتاب چالش امسالم بود.
داستان درمورد کتاب فروشیه که خیلی اتفاقی کیف زنی رو توی خیابون پیدا میکنه و توی اون کیف دفترچه خاطرات قرمز رنگ اون زن وجود داره. مرد دفترچه رو میخونه و تلاش میکنه اون زن رو پیدا کنه.. زنی که ندیده بهش دل بسته.
خیلی خیلی کتابو دوست داشتم.
Jess (Primrose)
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh!!! What a charmer of a little book! I was swept up in a modern love story with all the classic elements steeped in the tradition of courtly love. How Laurain takes his reader at a rapid pace of a story without the feeling of rushing the story... I can't explain. I have never encountered a story telling style of this manner. My little copy is dog eared with pages for me to go back to to mull over sentences that struck me and I even underlined a few with pencil that especially stood out. I com ...more
Dana
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 A charming little French jewel to read when you want something light and entertaining. Very sweet.
Dina
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Preciosa y pequeña historia sobre la curiosidad, las casualidades y la literatura. Tierna hasta el punto de reconciliarte con la humanidad!
Omaira
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una lectura bastante ligera y entretenida. Solo tiene 157 páginas y plantea una historia que logra atrapar desde el inicio.

Laure es una mujer a la que atracan al llegar a su casa, le dan un fuerte golpe y le roban su bolso, lo que la deja en un estado de shock. Entristecida por haber perdido algo que para ella es más que un simple bolso y aturdida por lo sucedido, Laure intenta reaccionar, pero pronto se ve que el golpe que recibió tendrá unas consecuencias inesperadas. Laurent es el propietari
Mor‌TeZa
|\| | |_ @ ® > M0127324:
#دفترچه_یادداشت_قرمز

در مجموع کتاب بدی نبود، اما به هیچ وجه فوقالعاده نبود.
ترجمه ضعیفه، علیرغم این که چاپ سوم و جدیدش رو داشتم، اغلاط تایپی و ویرایشی زیاد داشت..
و از همه بدتر این که از انگلیسی ترجمه شده بود، نه فرانسه.
و این به نظرم واقعا تاسف آوره.

ماجراهای کتاب خوب بود و ایده کلی جذاب بود، اما از منظر ادبیات حرفی برای گفتن نداشت.
به نظرم بیش تر مناسب یک فیلم بود تا کتاب، و این برای من همیشه یک معیار قابل اتکا برای تعیین و تشخیص کتاب های نه چندان فوق العاده ست..

کتاب
Parissa Ahmadi
یکم برام سخته نظر دادن در مورد این کتاب، مدت هاست من کتاب تخیلی نخوندم، نمیخوام بگم این کتاب ترکیبی از ورود فضایی ها و ترانسفورمرهاست ... بلکه به این علت میگم تخیلی چون امکان همچین اتفاقی یک به صد هم براش زیاده... اما زیباست.
نمیدونم شاید بخاطر نثر نویسنده اش باشه اما یه حالت ماجراجویی به ادم دست میده که هی دوست داری ببینی آخرش چی میشه.
Pamela
Delightfully charming! I love this little novel/novella!!! A bit of mystery and intrigue sprinkled with just the right amount of serendipity, whimsy, and literary verve to make this sparse yet profound character-driven/atmospheric love story feel ever so wishfully real.

"Can you experience nostalgia for something that hasn't happened? We talk of 'regrets' about the course of our lives, when we are almost certain we have made the wrong decision; but one can also be enveloped in a sweet and myster
Lyuda
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uplifting and charming story of two lonely souls finding each other through the mystery of a stolen bag in Paris. It echoes both Amélie and While You Were Sleeping . Part of its charm comes from the city of Paris itself - it is so wonderfully described and makes me want to hop on a plane and go visit it again.
MA®IBEL
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La NOSTALGIA DE LO POSIBLE es la base sobre la que Antoine Laurain desarrolla esta historia amable, sencilla y repleta de pequeños detalles. Y es ahí donde radica la magia de este libro, en los detalles. Es una obra a la que le tenía muchas ganas (altas expectativas) y que me ha dejado muy buen sabor de boca pero no me ha enamorado.
Zohre
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
آیا انسان می تواند برای چیزهایی که اتفاق نیفتاده دلتنگ شود ؟ ما درباره ی دوره هایی از زندگی مان با عنوان افسوس صحبت می کنیم ؛ وقتی که تقریباً مطمئن هستیم تصمیمی که گرفته بودیم، اشتباه بوده. اما همچنین می شود در نوعی وجد و سرخوشی عجیب و شیرین فرو رفت، نوعی نوستالژی برای چیزهایی که می توانسته وجود داشته باشد. ...more
Joanna (joreadsalot)
Hey Book Peeps

I came across this book from a Booktuber who mentioned it and because of the premise (guy finds girl's handbag, tries to find her and while doing so reads her red notebook and starts to fall for her) I decided to give it a try. This is my first adult fiction book of the year and it is closer to a 2.5 star rating for the actual story. It got an additional 0.5 star more because of the great performance by the narrator.

I listened to this via audiobook and I started it once earlier thi
Çimen
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
An abandoned woman’s handbag finds its way to the hands of a Parisian bookseller, Laurent, who after an unfruitful attempt to leave it at a police station decides to take it with him for the time being. Later at home, he takes up examining the contents of the bag so as to find a clue about its owner and finds himself-unintentionally at first, irrevocably later- spiraling through the life of the bag’s mysterious owner.

I must admit that if you haven’t really liked Laurent up to this point, his fu
Lindsay
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'd seen quite a lot of positive feedback for this book on social media over the past six weeks so when I was given a WH Smith voucher for Easter from my daughter this is the book I chose. There's been lots of tweets with #therednotebook and #inmyhandbag hashtags to promote the book so I was really looking forward to reading it.

At only 159 pages this is a book that needed to and does get straight into the action; no mincing about, the story starts with the theft of the bag and how Laurent finds
Mo
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Recommended
 photo aa5fe18e-dada-4244-8303-ae71a2c840ff_zps626ce42a.jpg

UPDATE: My favorite book read in 2016

I was captivated from the very first page of this slim little novel. I think I’ll be hard pressed to read anything this year that I will enjoy more than this one. (UPDATE: I was right!)

I LOVED this author’s manner of turning a phrase. Here are some of my favorites:

‘Watching someone sleep is like reading a letter that’s not addressed to you.’

‘They had kept their relationship going like two poker players who continue late into the night, shuffling their cards
  • The People in the Photo
  • The 6:41 to Paris
  • Le Grand Cœur
  • The Happy Endings Book Club
  • The Dictionary of Accepted Ideas
  • Lieblingsmomente (Lieblingsmomente, #1)
  • The Marais Assassin (Victor Legris, #4)
  • Paris Under Water: How the City of Light Survived the Great Flood of 1910
  • Gigi, Julie de Carneilhan, and Chance Acquaintances: Three Short Novels
  • My Friends
  • The Reader on the 6.27
  • Elefant
  • A Paris Year: My Day-to-Day Adventures in the Most Romantic City in the World
  • Dawn of the Belle Epoque: The Paris of Monet, Zola, Bernhardt, Eiffel, Debussy, Clemenceau, and Their Friends
Antoine Laurain was born in Paris and is a journalist, antiques collector and the author of five novels. The President’s Hat, a charming fable set in the Mitterrand years, was awarded the Prix Landerneau Découvertes and the Prix Relay in 2012 and is published in English by Gallic. It was a Waterstones Book Club book and ABA Indies Introduce pick in 2013. Antoine was chosen to represent France at E ...more
“If there was one thing that defined adolescence it was hysterical laughter. You never laughed like that again. In adolescence the brutal realisation that the world and life were completely absurd made you laugh until you couldn’t catch your breath, whereas in later life it would only result in a weary sigh.” 32 likes
“How many things do we feel obliged to do for the sake of it, or for appearances, or because we are trained to do them, but which weigh us down and don’t in fact achieve anything?” 28 likes