Start by marking “Welcome to Night Vale (Welcome to Night Vale, #1)” as Want to Read:
Welcome to Night Vale (Welcome to Night Vale, #1)

Welcome to Night Vale

(Welcome to Night Vale #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  28,860 ratings  ·  4,469 reviews
From the creators of the wildly popular Welcome to Night Vale podcast comes an imaginative mystery of appearances and disappearances that is also a poignant look at the ways in which we all struggle to find ourselves...no matter where we live.

Located in a nameless desert somewhere in the great American Southwest, Night Vale is a small town where ghosts, angels, aliens, and
Published October 20th 2015 by Harper Perennial

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to Night Vale, please sign up.
Jessica Dampier It reminds me of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - you have some inside knowledge you have no idea about, but the story assumes you know. Even us…moreIt reminds me of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - you have some inside knowledge you have no idea about, but the story assumes you know. Even us well versed in the podcast is still trying to understand Night Vale. Personally, just go in for a wild read and enjoy what is thrown at you. (less)

·  28,860 ratings  ·  4,469 reviews

Patrick
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Here's the short version: This book is a marvel and a wonder. You should try it.

Here's the medium version: Seriously. Try it. It might be a little outside your usual reading habits, but it's not thick of cumbersome at all. It's delightfully clear and strange and unlike anything else I've ever read. And I've read a *lot.*

I even liked it enough to give it a blurb: "As a fan of Welcome to Night Vale, Jeffrey Cranor and Joseph Fink have delighted me with stories that are clever, twisted, beautiful,
Darth J
Jul 09, 2015 marked it as could-not-finish
Shelves: disappointing
DNF @ page 187

Weirdness, with a side of monotony

Let me start off by saying: NO, I did not listen to the podcast first, and NO, I have no interest in them. So please stop telling me I "have to hear it to appreciate it." (Also, please stop talking to me about Serial too, the only one I care about is Cinnamon Toast Crunch.)

While the strangeness of the town was charming at first, it became cloyingly distracting to have every other sentence punctuated with some supernatural weirdness. In fact, stripp
isabelle
Dear God, thank you.

You too, Glow Cloud.

description
Kitty
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I know, I know, a two star rating for THE Welcome to Night Vale novel.

Oh the humanity.

And before we begin, yes, I actually DO have the book. This isn't just some attempt on my part to spit on dreams and fart on hopes for the fun of it.

Ok, so, I've been a fan of WtNV for awhile now, I like it, it makes my drive to and from work more pleasant, I look foreword to new episodes and I was excited about the new book coming out. Having now finished it however, may I just say "Meh"?

The first problem is t
Lin
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
All right, I'm going to be honest.

It's not actually that good?

It pains me to say it, you know? I love the podcast oodles, I attended the live show, which was amazing. I was very excited to get my hands on an ARC, and got to reading it right away.

And let me tell you, it was hard fuckin work to get through. It took me a while to figure out why that was, but I got it - there's nobody for the reader to identify with. The very premise of Night Vale is that weird things happen, but everyone goes on li
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I have no idea what I just read but I want the book! 😂🤣

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐺🐾🎃👻
Melki
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Who am I kidding . . .

Unless this turns out to be a manual on how to abuse puppies and small children, OF COURSE I'm going to give it five stars!

More to come in October.

description

Update: 10/20, 4:45 pm

When my UPS heartthrob FINALLY arrives with my preordered copy, I'm waiting at the end of the driveway. He already thinks I'm nuts, but I may have gone too far this time.

And now, I'm reading . . .

10/23 - Done!

Okay, to be honest, I was hoping for more of a travel/tourist guide along the lines of Discovering
Will Byrnes
I will be writing, have been writing, or have already written (depending on when you see this. Time is strange here on GR) a review of Welcome to Night Vale. But until/when/after I do (or until you return from whatever time stream you are in to read this, or move ahead into another one) I can offer one definite bit of advice. Listen to a few of the Night Vale podcasts. If they float your boat, or, lacking water, elevate you at least several inches off the ground for a period of about twenty minu ...more
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
What the fuck just happened?

This book is a whole lot of things; it is weird and completely perplexing; it is hilarious and confusing; it is cynical and brilliant. But, most importantly, it is impossible to put down. Nothing makes any sense. So I had to reach ending, and fast, to discover what the fuck was actually going on. But, this doesn’t necessarily mean the novel was good.

It had moments of greatness, real greatness, though when you stand back and look at its entirety it’s just a little bi
Cyna
Feb 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Oh my god, I’d been looking forward to this release all season you guys. I thought FOR SURE this would be a slam dunk, NO WAY the Welcome to Night Vale novel would be anything but satisfactory. A GRAND, FIRE-WORKY finale to this season’s Spooktacular slog.

And then it was just kind of ok.

So, the thing about Night Vale as a podcast: I love it, obviously. It’s weird and fun and thoughtful and quirky and weird and sometimes creepy, but mostly it’s weird. That Night Vale style of nonsensical, nonsequ
Trent
Nov 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
I've waited several weeks to write this review because I want it to be as honest as possible without my emotions getting too much in the way. So, here it is: this is not a good book. To be more acurate, I'm not even really sure that this is a book at all. Bear with me on this one.

Welcome to Nightvale was originally a podcast, one that up until recently I'd listened to for three years now. So, when they announced a novel, I was hesitant but interested. I'd heard excerpts on the show. I'd even hea
D
Dec 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: hot-garbage
Disclaimer: I've never listened to the podcast. Don't plan on it now, either.

Good lord, what a mess. You wanna know how long it takes for a novel that's compiled completely of funny little moments of weirdness and oh-you-thought-one-thing-but-it's-actually-the-opposite-ha-ha-get-it to get real goddamned annoying? About one page.

I held on hoping the preciousness would have some real motivation or explanation behind it. Nope. Just cleverness for the sake of cleverness, and it didn't evolve or add
Char
DNF at 30%. By this point the reader should have some kind of idea what the hell is going on, don't you think? I have no freaking clue.

The narrators were good though. :)
Carol Ramos
Mar 17, 2015 marked it as on-hold
Shelves: 2015
[screams for a thousand years]
Justin
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
1. I HIGHLY recommend listening to the podcast first. In my opinion, the podcast is amazing. In my opinion, the podcast was handcrafted to appeal to me with its eerie sci-fi vibe and hilarious deadpan humor. Definitely listen to several episodes first to see if this is for you. If you just read the book, you are doing yourself a disservice and won’t experience the book the same way.

2. I HIGHLY recommend the audiobook. Cecil is back narrating just like he does in the podcast. He adds so much to
jv poore
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This wacky, wonderfully weird book was already on my radar when one of 'my' High School students enthusiastically recommended it. Of course that moved it right to the top o' the stack and I'm so very thankful.

This reads as if Tom Robbins ate acid, then paired up with Hunter S. Thompson to create a completely funky pseudo-Prairie Home Companion-experience.

I'll be donating my copy to my favorite High School classroom library later this week when I introduce books that can challenge the reader. Can
Bettie

YES! A book of my favourite audio. Expect many images in this thought-box!

Do you remember how we all had Nightvale reviews and grramazon deleted them. It would show good faith if we had them returned, don't you think?

Nightvale was not allowed because it didn't make them a penny; it is youtube based phenomenom that will be available in 'product form' in the autumn and make lots of money. Double standard much, Bezos?

Those new to the concept, check out the first episode here

Before our reviews were
Martini
Apr 24, 2015 marked it as wish-list
I am not able to decide if I would rather like to have the book or the audiobook. I guess I'll have to listen to the hooded figures who tell me to buy both, then.
Michael
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Unless you have been living under the worlds biggest rock for the last four years, then you would of heard of the phenomenon that is Welcome to Night Vale. Starting in 2012 as a project between friends, the show has grown into one of the biggest podcast's on the planet. Now we have the companion novel, with the question being, will the book go hand to hand with it's digital brother or will it be a poor knock off trying to ride the shows popularity.

While America is full of strange things, Night V
Samuel
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
First off: If you are a dedicated WTNV fan, this review will not be useful to you. I hope you read the book and enjoy it :)

As someone who isn't a regular WTNV listener (I think I've heard two of the podcast episodes), this book seemed like something of a mess to me. There are a ton of in-jokes and references that feel like they're there for the fans, but that left me cold and dry. The setting itself was baffling to me -- it's like a particularly dark Dali painting, where nothing makes any sense,
Jess (Primrose)
Super Short Review: So many have gone before me on this one that I don't have much to add. A completely different kind of read for me. I truly believe I enjoyed this so much due to listening to it in the audio format. Fink has such an knack for making the ordinary become profound. The interactions between the characters may seem mundane but there is a glimpse of deeper meaning if you think on it. A great story and now I will have to check out the podcast a bit more.
Wart Hill
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
WEIRD

I loved it.

I love Night Vale
Tori Thompson
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As an avid listener of “Welcome to Night Vale”, this was exactly what I wanted from its literary debut. As an avid consumer of books, this was exactly what I didn’t realize I’ve been looking for. At once devastating and funny and sweet, the story perfectly captures Night Vale’s ability to draw you right to the brink of terror, hold you there with bated breath, and then suddenly and completely release that tension with a flippant comment. It’s a technique, characteristic of the podcast, that I wa ...more
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
$1.99 on Amazon: September 18, 2017.

"Hypnotic and darkly funny. . . . Belongs to a particular strain of American gothic that encompasses The Twilight Zone, Stephen King and Twin Peaks, with a bit of Tremors thrown in."--The Guardian

Uh, sign me up!!!
Brandon
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2015
The popular podcast Welcome to Night Vale has ventured into the literary world with its first novel. Authors Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor present a story that follows two of Night Vale’s residents – Diane, an unassuming office worker with a shape-shifter for a son, and Jackie, a 19 year old pawn shop owner. As the narrative alternates between the two leads, the authors injected short excerpts from the local community radio host Cecil detailing the events happening in the tumultuous town. Unfor ...more
Trey
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love it, hate it, miss it, glad I'm done with it. Or am I?

Night Vale: a beautiful, stymie-ing, byzantine dimension.
Never heard of there being a podcast regarding Night Vale, prior to discovering this book; became a fan via the book's description. A story about angels, aliens, ghosts, hybrid creatures, inter-dimensional spaces...? YEP - give it to this guy.

Frustrating - yes.
Did I suffer brain cramp - yes.
Wreaked havoc on my ADHD - yes.
Introduced me to something extraordinary - yes.

The story is
Boutayna
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, favorites
I love weird things and metaphors and female friendships. This could only please me
Vanessa
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an ARC, and it is almost everything I would’ve wanted from a Welcome to Night Vale book. I’ve gone back and forth on whether this is a book for fans or for everyone, and I’ve concluded it’s a little of both. Those new to the universe will find a mystery that’s competently crafted and compellingly written (though they’ll miss the semi-frequent references to events and characters from the podcast), while fans will get more of what they fell in love with, plus some answers t ...more
Wendi Lee
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's always a risk of taking a podcast and turning it into a novel, and I have to admit that my expectations were low when I started reading "Welcome to Night Vale." As much as I love the podcast (and its weird cast of characters, set in an even weirder town), I was afraid that something would be lost without Cecil's voice, narrating through the guise of community radio.

Instead, I really enjoyed this book. I think it helped that the focus was not on Cecil (although we do get glimpses of his
Richard
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a very weird novel inspired by the Welcome to Night Vale podcast. It combines bizarro-type fantasy, social satire, parody, horror, magic realism and conspiracy theory. In the small California town of Night Vale, things have never been what you would call normal. Big Brother, it would seem, is always watching. Certain things and entities, including angels, are illegal. Certain things and places are off-limits. Libraries, as in many works of fantasy, are places of extreme danger. However, ...more

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Vermilion
  • The Thrilling Adventure Hour
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 4: Gangwar
  • The Brothers Cabal (Johannes Cabal, #4)
  • Shadow Unit 8
  • Steelhands (Havemercy, #4)
  • We Can Fix It: A Time Travel Memoir
  • The Day the Dead Came to Show and Tell (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3.3)
  • The King in Yellow
  • Ghosts: Recent Hauntings
  • The Bookman Histories (The Bookman Histories, #1-3)
  • Rick and Morty Book One: Deluxe Edition
  • Summer in Orcus
  • Sci-Fi Chronicles: A Visual History of the Galaxy's Greatest Science Fiction
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 5: Winter Wolves (The Sixth Gun, #5)
  • Mockingbird (Miriam Black, #2)
Joseph created and co-writes WELCOME TO NIGHT VALE. He is a writer and editor, and the co-owner of Commonplace Books. Awhile back he moved from California to Brooklyn. Subsequently, events unfolded.

Welcome to Night Vale (3 books)
  • It Devours! (Welcome to Night Vale, #2)
  • The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (Welcome to Night Vale, #3)
“Fear is a reasonable response to life.” 246 likes
“She understood the world and her place in it. She understood nothing. The world and her place in it were nothing and she understood that.” 177 likes